Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless they have the #1 overall pick, does the Lakers historically build thru the draft? Of their last 3 lottery picks (Eddie Jones, Kobe and Bynum), only Kobe wasn't traded away (for good reason).

Spurs build with draft picks. Lakers don't.
    Even for a troll job, that is remarkably stupid. Draft picks have value, whether a team builds through the draft or not.

A true chess master would have realized a much greater return for 4 draft picks than the corpse of Steve Nash.

Of course, a true chess master would have gotten much more for Bynum+other assets than a one year rental of Dwight Howard.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Even for a troll job, that is remarkably stupid. Draft picks have value, whether a team builds through the draft or not.

A true chess master would have realized a much greater return for 4 draft picks than the corpse of Steve Nash.

Of course, a true chess master would have gotten much more for Bynum+other assets than a one year rental of Dwight Howard.
    1. Can't predict that Nash would break his leg before even the 5th game of his inaugural season (just like we couldn't predict Karl ironman Malone going down years before that). On paper, we were supposed to be major contenders. Meaning we would hardly dependent on those draft picks
    2. Couldn't predict Howard would leave $30M on the table. In retrospect, I'm glad he walked.
    3. Draft picks do have value. I'm just saying it's not the Laker way to depend on them - unless they draft franchise level talent.
    4. And Howard was the best deal out there. I don't fault MK for being aggressive and trading for him. As it turns out, Bynum's knee has went to again. With Mt Hibbert sucking, Indy sure could use him. Had he still been in LA drawing a check while hobbled and not playing I would have been pissed.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    1. Can't predict that Nash would break his leg before even the 5th game of his inaugural season (just like we could predict Karl ironman Malone going down years before that). On paper, we were supposed to be major contenders. Meaning we would hardly dependent on those draft picks
    2. Couldn't predict Howard would leave $30M on the table. In retrospect, I'm glad he walked.
    3. Draft picks do have value. I'm just saying it's not the Laker way to depend on them - unless they draft franchise level talent.
    4. And Howard was the best deal out there. I don't fault MK for being aggressive and trading for him. As it turns out, Bynum's knee has went to again. With Mt Hibbert sucking, Indy sure could use him. Had he still been in LA drawing a check while hobbled and not playing I would have been pissed.
    1. His age and his history of severe back problems even with the Suns' training staff working miracles would have given any competent franchise pause before trading any picks at all for him
    2. Easily predictable based on Kirby's track record of running off big men that have carried him
    3. The "Laker way" is obsolete in the new CBA and has brought the Lakers into the abyss of tanking
    4. There was no need to trade for Coward at all, you ended up trading an injured knee for an injured back and the season went about as expected (ignoring the Media hype)

You're going to have to try harder than that, Diego

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Jackson won't be around for long, Dolan doesn't have a daughter Jackson could pork on the side unlike the late Dr. Buss.

My Team
    Orlando Magic
    Post Count

What sort of chess move was trading 4 draft picks for Nash?
    en passant.... of their le chances

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless they have the #1 overall pick, does the Lakers historically build thru the draft? Of their last 3 lottery picks (Eddie Jones, Kobe and Bynum), only Kobe wasn't traded away (for good reason).

Spurs build with draft picks. Lakers don't.
    True. Lakers like to poach other teams players. But here is the funny thing,,,,Lakers last big free agent signing who they took from another team was Shaq. That was 18 years ago but yet Laker fans would have you believe everyone wants to play there,,,, Melo, Love, and Durant are on the way. Its comical to say the least. There is not a more delusional fan base on this planet. Don't be surprised if the best the Lakers can get are guys like Stephenson and Monroe and a long drought ensues before the next le run.

My Team
    Orlando Magic
    Post Count
    Lakers fans have a reason to be hopeful. History has shown that the organization will go above and beyond to get a winning team, not just a compe ive one. The Lakers are rarely compe ive, they are more often contenders than just compe ive. Contrast that with the Warriors or the Blazers. They rely on draft picks from a piss poor season or trades/FA signings of 3rd tier "stars" because difference makers don't want to play there. Historically then their fans have no real reason to suspect a le is in the cards in the next few years. The Lakers' methods are not employable by most franchises because most franchises don't have the earning potential to show return on investment. In fact most franchises wouldn't be as profitable even if they won consecutive les... as the Lakers are when they miss the playoffs. It benefits the entire league if the large market teams do well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you laugh at Kwame Brown's contract too? The timing of it didn't make you a tad bit su ious? Then it turns out MK had been watching MVPau's situation in Memphis for years.
    So MK had the foresight to trade a future all-star for Kwame Brown in 2005 in order to use his expiring contract for Gasol in 2008?

Yet.....

1. Can't predict that Nash would break his leg before even the 5th game of his inaugural season (just like we couldn't predict Karl ironman Malone going down years before that). On paper, we were supposed to be major contenders. Meaning we would hardly dependent on those draft picks
    2. Couldn't predict Howard would leave $30M on the table.
    Somehow, despite his otherworldly foresight, he didn't foresee health problems with a 38 year old player with a history of, well, health problems.

Nor could he foresee contract issues with a player whose, well, contract issues had been front page news for nearly two years before the trade.

Betting on MK's foresight would seem to be a problematic proposition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. Dolan was obviously running the team into the ground, so PJ needs to drastically change up the culture there. I wouldn't expect Dolan to be completely behind that.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Peter Vecsey, Sam Smith, Broussard and Frank Isola are some of the worst Sports Writer in the modern sport era.

Dolan and Phil will clash eventually. I'll give that marriage 2 years before it completely goes down drain. Jackson is not going to fix that losing culture as long as Melo is the teams cornerstone.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    1. His age and his history of severe back problems even with the Suns' training staff working miracles would have given any competent franchise pause before trading any picks at all for him
    2. Easily predictable based on Kirby's track record of running off big men that have carried him
    3. The "Laker way" is obsolete in the new CBA and has brought the Lakers into the abyss of tanking
    4. There was no need to trade for Coward at all, you ended up trading an injured knee for an injured back and the season went about as expected (ignoring the Media hype)

You're going to have to try harder than that, Diego

1. No further arguments here in terms of the picks. They went in with that deal with hopes of cutting the nets down. It just blew my mind of all of his injuries, he broke his leg. WTH
    2. I work every damn day with people I don't like. Surely that asshole could have done it playing a game for millions. But again, in retrospect, he's not the 2009 D12 no more, so I'm good with him walking.
    3. The CBA ink wasn't even dried yet and MK still made a fair deal for CP3. So the "Laker Way" is not obsolete. Your starting PG was ours, until LDS intervention kicked in.
    4. There was a need to trade Bynum. His knee is glass and his agent is a prick. Remember, Ariza and him share the same agent. Sure we rang with MWP, but we rang with Ariza too and he is still balling (he's helping the Wizards sweep the Bulls as I type this).

The Lakers aren't in bad a shape as you guys hope. Them Clipps got a golden opportunity in front of them right now. Let's see if they seize it instead of you worrying about my strategically lottery-bound Lakers.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lakers fans have a reason to be hopeful. History has shown that the organization will go above and beyond to get a winning team, not just a compe ive one. The Lakers are rarely compe ive, they are more often contenders than just compe ive. Contrast that with the Warriors or the Blazers. They rely on draft picks from a piss poor season or trades/FA signings of 3rd tier "stars" because difference makers don't want to play there. Historically then their fans have no real reason to suspect a le is in the cards in the next few years. The Lakers' methods are not employable by most franchises because most franchises don't have the earning potential to show return on investment. In fact most franchises wouldn't be as profitable even if they won consecutive les... as the Lakers are when they miss the playoffs. It benefits the entire league if the large market teams do well.
    QFT. Props son.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks have huge bank and never been afraid to spend it and a bigger market then L.A.,,,,why no recent les? Piss poor management. Laker fan will be able to relate for the next few decades.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    True. Lakers like to poach other teams players. But here is the funny thing,,,,Lakers last big free agent signing who they took from another team was Shaq. That was 18 years ago but yet Laker fans would have you believe everyone wants to play there,,,, Melo, Love, and Durant are on the way. Its comical to say the least. There is not a more delusional fan base on this planet. Don't be surprised if the best the Lakers can get are guys like Stephenson and Monroe and a long drought ensues before the next le run.
    Every player with a TV set grew up watching Showtime. Damn near every player has an offseason home somewhere near Orange County, CA. You know what they say: location location location. LA is Hollywood. You know, where are the stars live, make movies, etc. The Lakers have the highest overall winning percentage in NBA history - and the 2nd most les - so there is history there like no other team (even Boston, who before 2008 last won a rang 22 years before). LA has the 2nd biggest market in the country, but I would argue that we have the "biggest stage" in the NBA. All players know this . So you bet your pink ass that players want to don the P&G.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Knicks have huge bank and never been afraid to spend it and a bigger market then L.A.,,,,why no recent les? Piss poor management. Laker fan will be able to relate for the next few decades.
    MK was part of the FO that brought in Shaq and Kobe. Why do I say that? He's the cap guru. He's the numbers guy - the Logo admitted as much. So I'd argue that he is just as responsible as the Logo with putting together all of those athletic Laker teams culminating in Shaq/Kobe 3peat and Kobe/Pau repeat championship teams. And guess what? MK is still here.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every player with a TV set grew up watching Showtime. Damn near every player has an offseason home somewhere near Orange County, CA. You know what they say: location location location. LA is Hollywood. You know, where are the stars live, make movies, etc. The Lakers have the highest overall winning percentage in NBA history - and the 2nd most les - so there is history there like no other team (even Boston, who before 2008 last won a rang 22 years before). LA has the 2nd biggest market in the country, but I would argue that we have the "biggest stage" in the NBA. All players know this . So you bet your pink ass that players want to don the P&G.
    Uh-huh,,,maybe more huge moves like Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and Metta World Peace past their prime signings.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MK was part of the FO that brought in Shaq and Kobe. Why do I say that? He's the cap guru. He's the numbers guy - the Logo admitted as much. So I'd argue that he is just as responsible as the Logo with putting together all of those athletic Laker teams culminating in Shaq/Kobe 3peat and Kobe/Pau repeat championship teams. And guess what? MK is still here.
    MK also responsible for giving up 4 draft picks and 9mil/yr for 38 year old Steve Nash.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

1. No further arguments here in terms of the picks. They went in with that deal with hopes of cutting the nets down. It just blew my mind of all of his injuries, he broke his leg. WTH
    2. I work every damn day with people I don't like. Surely that asshole could have done it playing a game for millions. But again, in retrospect, he's not the 2009 D12 no more, so I'm good with him walking.
    3. The CBA ink wasn't even dried yet and MK still made a fair deal for CP3. So the "Laker Way" is not obsolete. Your starting PG was ours, until LDS intervention kicked in.
    4. There was a need to trade Bynum. His knee is glass and his agent is a prick. Remember, Ariza and him share the same agent. Sure we rang with MWP, but we rang with Ariza too and he is still balling (he's helping the Wizards sweep the Bulls as I type this).

2. Yeah, that asshole could have done it - instead, he ran Dwight offPERIOD
    3. That deal was and you know it - unfortunately for your Lakers, Stern is a lot smarter than some of the GM's in this league, so no deal
    4. Kirby is a prick and the Lakers keep him around, even giving him 48.5

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    2. Yeah, that asshole could have done it - instead, he ran Dwight offPERIOD
    3. That deal was and you know it - unfortunately for your Lakers, Stern is a lot smarter than some of the GM's in this league, so no deal
    4. Kirby is a prick and the Lakers keep him around, even giving him 48.5
    Aww it - I give up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Shaq we haven't needed a big name FA. Although, we did land Rice, Malone, and Payton

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Shaq we haven't needed a big name FA. Although, we did land Rice, Malone, and Payton
    Rice, Malone, and Payton,,,,,,,,

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lakers-east. Terrible owners. Terrible GMs. Terrible contracts. Terrible franchises.
    One franchise has won 5 of 7 and been contenders from 2000-2011, and is experiencing a huge transitional period with the loss of the owner. The other is a franchise that has gone winless for decades and has been piss poor year after year. How can you confuse the two?
    Last edited by Thebesteva; 04-24-2014 at 04:19 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a theory....

The Thunder lose, Scott brooks gets fired.

Phil knows he screwed up taking the Ny gig...uses "clashing" with Dolan to escape with his usual media twisting "he wouldn't let me do things to help the team win." Steps down poor Phil just wanted to help.

Takes over the Thunder, another prime team on the verge of championships.
    Last edited by UZER; 04-24-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Thread Information