Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Hoyer has been named the Browns starting QB per Schefter.

My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    Manziel throws up middle finger to this

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    obviously, he failed in proving wrong any of the commonly mentioned flaws he had. Not even one.

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    He's an absolute scrub but allowing him to get eaten alive Weeks 1-3 instead of Football makes sense.

Start off 0-3 then make the switch during the bye week imo.

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    obviously, he failed in proving wrong any of the commonly mentioned flaws he had. Not even one.
    You talking about Hoyer, right?

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    You talking about Hoyer, right?
    rrrrrright..

-immaturity
    -lack of poise
    -inaccurate long thrower
    -lacks an nfl arm
    -stupid runner
    -undersized (well that one couldn't have been proven wrong)
    -more a distraction than anything

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    The 'starter' had two completions for 16 yds last game. He didn't complete a pass until the 3-minute mark of the second quarter, the other was a lateral pass to end the half.

Think what you want about Football but he outplayed that scrub both games. Pettine had his mind made up unless Football absolutely dominated. Let's not paint it out to be as Football losing a race here tbh.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    Brian Football

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count

Aggie

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Last edited by Darth_Pelican; 08-20-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Joe Montana could be the Browns starter and they still won't be making the playoffs. Two of the most important stats in football is TO margin and that sacks/sacked difference. The Browns sucked in both and they had nothing they did well other than pass defense at 8th. This is not a good team regardless of who is at QB, so why not go with the guy you took as your first pick? What's he going to learn sitting on the bench?

If Hoyer blows it you now rely on a rookie? No, you start the rookie and if he stinks it up the vet comes in to save things, that's the smart way to do business. (not that either scenario matters the Browns are 6-10 regardless)

The Browns really don't know they need to start planning for the future because the right now is a 6-10 at best?

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Joe Montana could be the Browns starter and they still won't be making the playoffs. Two of the most important stats in football is to margin and sacks/sacked difference. The Browns sucked in both and they had nothing they did well other than pass defense at 8th. This is not a good team regardless of who is at QB, so why not go with the guy you took as your first pick? What's he going to learn sitting on the bench?

The Browns really don't know they need to start planning for the future because the right now is a 6-10 at best?
    I think sitting on the bench and just learning the game more will be beneficial. Otherwise, he's just gonna freelance which won't help any development. He can also build some strength, learn the playbook better, and just mature overall. This is not the type of QB where throwing him to the wolves will be a good thing. He's not ready to start right now so why just throw him to the wolves where he's probably gonna get injured since he doesn't have any knowledge of the playbook, he's frail, and he freelances. The coaches are doing him a favor and the team long-term by making him watch. He's not an Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson type who can step in right away.

bandwagonning the ing browns because they drafted johnny one read

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I think sitting on the bench and just learning the game more will be beneficial. Otherwise, he's just gonna freelance which won't help any development. He can also build some strength, learn the playbook better, and just mature overall. This is not the type of QB where throwing him to the wolves will be a good thing. He's not ready to start right now so why just throw him to the wolves where he's probably gonna get injured since he doesn't have any knowledge of the playbook, he's frail, and he freelances. The coaches are doing him a favor and the team long-term by making him watch. He's not an Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson type who can step in right away.
    My point is................they spent their first pick on the guy, so what does that tell us? If they'd taken him in the third round as a project, cool sit him and let it all soak in, that wasn't the case. If they want to win right now you don't waste your first pick on a project. They had nobody with over 5 sacks last season, if they wanna win right now they needed a pass rusher.

We don't know what he can do, and we won't as long as it hangs on the sideline. He wasn't taken that high to be a backup. He's going to have to play sometime, might as well get as much experience as possible in 2014.

You can start a rookie and if he s up no big deal he's a rookie. Ok bring in the vet. You can't start the vet and then replace him with a rookie, if the rookie now s up you bring back the vet you benched..........that would suck.
    Last edited by Avante; 08-20-2014 at 11:06 AM.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    My point is................they spent their first pick on the guy, so what does that tell us? If they'd taken him in the third round as a project, cool sit him and let it all soak in, that wasn't the case. If they want to win right now you don't waste your first pick on a project. They had nobody with over 5 sacks last season, if they wanna win right now they needed a pass rusher.

We don't know what he can do, and we won't as long as it hangs on the sideline. He wasn't taken that high to be a backup. He's going to have to play sometime, might as well get as much experience as possible in 2014.
    Green Bay used a 1st round pick on Aaron Rodgers and let him sit 3 years. Worked out okay.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Green Bay used a 1st round pick on Aaron Rodgers and let him sit 3 years. Worked out okay.
    The Packers situation was totally different than what we see with the Browns.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

You can start a rookie and if he s up no big deal he's a rookie. Ok bring in the vet. You can't start the vet and then replace him with a rookie, if the rookie now s up you bring back the vet you benched..........that would suck.
    No, Pelicans78 was right on the money.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    The Packers situation was totally different than what we see with the Browns.
    During Rodgers' rookie season, Favre threw 29 picks and had a 70 passer rating. Basically he was Brian Hoyer that year.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    No, Pelicans78 was right on the money.
    Watch how this works out, and after the sixth week tell me if you still feel this way.

The Browns could easily be 0-3 heading into their bye week, next up Tennessee. Watch how this works.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    During Rodgers' rookie season, Favre threw 29 picks and had a 70 passer rating. Basically he was Brian Hoyer that year.
    Brett favre was having a Hall of Fame career, and the previouS year he had over 4000 yards and 30 td's with a 92.4 passer rating. The Packers could afford to waste a first round pick on a QB, that is not the Browns.
    Last edited by Avante; 08-20-2014 at 11:29 AM.

This
    He's an absolute scrub but allowing him to get eaten alive Weeks 1-3 instead of Football makes sense.

Start off 0-3 then make the switch during the bye week imo.
    and this
    monoslob

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    Joe Montana could be the Browns starter and they still won't be making the playoffs. Two of the most important stats in football is TO margin and that sacks/sacked difference. The Browns sucked in both and they had nothing they did well other than pass defense at 8th. This is not a good team regardless of who is at QB, so why not go with the guy you took as your first pick? What's he going to learn sitting on the bench?

If Hoyer blows it you now rely on a rookie? No, you start the rookie and if he stinks it up the vet comes in to save things, that's the smart way to do business. (not that either scenario matters the Browns are 6-10 regardless)

I'm sorry, I can't get behind the mindset of writing off an entire season before it even begins. We do that year after year after year after year around here. It's a corrosive mindset. At some point you have to at least try and win games. You go with the guy that gives you the best opportunity to do that. If that guy is Manziel (which I don't think it is) he should start. If that guy is Hoyer he should start.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Brett favre was having a Hall of Fame career, and the previouS year he had over 4000 yards and 30 td's with a 92.4 passer rating. The Packers could afford to waste a first round pick on a QB, that is not the Browns.
    dude, you're not making any sense .. why having a hall of fame qb makes then being able to afford to throw a first rounder on a qb? if anything, they should have used it to improve the rest of the team and be in win now mode.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I'm sorry, I can't get behind the mindset of writing off an entire season before it even begins. We do that year after year after year after year around here. It's a corrosive mindset. At some point you have to at least try and win games. You go with the guy that gives you the best opportunity to do that. If that guy is Manziel (which I don't think it is) he should start. If that guy is Hoyer he should start.
    The Browns do this year after year after year because of stupid moves like this one.

The Browns will go 0-3 no matter who is back there so why not give your future starter all the experience he can get?

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    dude, you're not making any sense .. why having a hall of fame qb makes then being able to afford to throw a first rounder on a qb? if anything, they should have used it to improve the rest of the team and be in win now mode.
    Favre was 35 years old, like I say a whole different deal than what we have at Cleveland. No doubt the Packers needed to start thinking about life after Favre. The Browns aren't thinking about life after Brian Hoyer.

Thread Information