During the turmoil of conference realignment, both BYU and the Big 12 flirted with the Cougars joining the conference in 2011. Instead, the Big 12 invited TCU and West Virginia, and closed its doors at 10 members, while BYU went on to become an independent.

But BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall is now making a case for the Cougars' inclusion into the Big 12.

"We would love to be in the Big 12," Mendenhall told the Austin American-Statesman newspaper. "I would love to be a member of that conference. I think that would make a lot of sense."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...yu-love-big-12

ORLANDO -- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants in the Big 12, but two league athletic directors told ESPN there has been "zero discussions" about the Big 12 expanding.

Kansas State's John Currie and West Virginia's Oliver Luck both said the Big 12 has not had any expansion discussions and is not interested in expanding.

"Expansion is one thing we're not talking about," Luck said.

Added Currie: "We see how strong and productive our league is with 10 members. The camaraderie is really good."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ions-expansion

I personally would like to see at least two teams added to the conference. I wanted BYU and Louisville but that does not look like it can happen now.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    At this point in time, BYU adds nothing to the big 12. In fact, they might actually lose TV money per school if they add them.

The only reason to add them (+1 more) would be to get back to 12 to have a money making conference le game. But it's not reason enough.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    At this point in time, BYU adds nothing to the big 12. In fact, they might actually lose TV money per school if they add them.

The only reason to add them (+1 more) would be to get back to 12 to have a money making conference le game. But it's not reason enough.
    Somewhat agree,

They do have a small national appeal because they are the flagship University for an entire religion. They still own the state of Utah when it comes to TV sets and that extends to SE Idaho. They, like Texas bring their own TV station as well.

As far as compe ion goes, they would become a door mat in the Big 12 somewhere around where TCU or ISU is.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    They still own the state of Utah when it comes to TV sets and that extends to SE Idaho.
    Wow. That's like what, 300 televisions?

If you go by national appeal BYU reaches all 50 states due to it representing the Mormon faith. Certainly more than 300 televisions. However, I cannot think of another school that the Big 12 could bring in that would offer much. They also have their own network as mentioned above.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    When I lived there Utah had about 2.5 milliom not a bad following.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    If you go by national appeal BYU reaches all 50 states due to it representing the Mormon faith. Certainly more than 300 televisions. However, I cannot think of another school that the Big 12 could bring in that would offer much. They also have their own network as mentioned above.
    Who needs the other 49 states when you've got Utah!

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The one thing I'm curious about is where BYU will land should there be another massive land grab between the major power conferences. Frankly the only conference it fits in with is the Big 12.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Well geographically it would be the Pac12, but I think Stanford has issue with mormons.

I could be wrong on that.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    FeCal has the issues with any and all religious schools. Remember they pitched a fit when it was rumored that Baylor was trying to follow Texas to the Pac 10

Thread Information