Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
    My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Orange 2-0

What a dominating run they are currently on. Only Argentina & Germany (if they finish 2nd) can stop them from the Final
    Yeah - no, Oranje will choke.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Orange 2-0

What a dominating run they are currently on. Only Argentina, Belgium & Germany (if they finish 2nd) can stop them from the Final
    I've seen some sorry ass takes but this one is up there with the best tbh.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Germany will choke, imo

YOU WILL SEE

LETS WAIT AND SEE

Veteran
    Post Count
    someone is salty
    Chile played better today and holland only played with their goal difference and a ty ref.

Re: caring about a major tournament you being an arsenal / Slovenia fan wouldn't know anything about it

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Spain
    Post Count
    They are playing well--but they had the Socceroos and a head case La Roja Furia in the group stage. Chile were the only side that showed up, really.

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    FIFA
    Post Count
    I've seen some sorry ass takes but this one is up there with the best tbh.
    Ya, no one exists on that side of the bracket

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Chile played better today and holland only played with their goal difference and a ty ref.

Re: caring about a major tournament you being an arsenal / Slovenia fan wouldn't know anything about it
    The shots on target were 8-1 for Netherlands. The ref was great.

I got Spain and Chile tbh
    Wrong upset

Veteran
    Post Count
    The shots on target were 8-1 for Netherlands. The ref was great.
    if you are going to be a stat in a sport that doesnt lend itself to being a stat (an attempt out of bounds can be a way better attempt than one "on target", a scoring opportunity that doesnt result in a shot attempt can be better than a shot into the stands etc), but at least use accurate stats. per uefa (the superior federation according to you), the dutch had 11 attempts 5 on target, chile 7 attempts 1 on target. not a huge difference at all. chile had 7 corners to the dutch 2, and holland committed 23 fouls to chile's 14. cherry picking "shots on target" as if they reflect the course of the game is ing re ed.

as for the great ref, i'll disregard robben flopping himself to two free kicks in the first 10 minutes, de jong not getting a caution for breaking an attack intentionally with his hand in the first 10 minutes, and silva getting the weakest yellow card of the tournament in the first half hour. whatever, happens. what i wont disregard (and i wish i could find match video but there is nothing on youtube) is holland constantly fouling with no cards till the 64th minute. 12 fouls in the first half, 4 of them on alexis, all of them by blind, no card. silva got his card on his 2nd foul (of course, because robben got in the refs face and pressured him into it, he hadnt even reached to his pocket till robben got on him, the same way the dutch CBs have been getting into the faces of anyone who falls in their box regardless if they pushed them down or not as Kuyt pushed alexis who had won position to header a good cross in the 36th minute- had kuyt challenged the ball shoulder to shoulder i would agree no foul, but he was behind alexis and used his hand to push him down this is a text book penalty). there were 6 more fouls in the first 20 minutes of the second half, at this point blind has fouled alexis 6 times and alexis has been fouled in total 8 times, only then does he get his card. de jong and blind between them have committed 10 of the 18 fouls, both have committed multiple fouls in 1-2 minute spans, and all chile has to show for it is one yellow card and crosses they cant capitalize on because they are midgets. its not hollands fault they are midgets, but it is the refs fault for letting the dutch foul instead of defend.

whatever, chile has limitations and will never be a world cup contender, but the dutch team was disgusting yesterday, in fact im shocked a supposed arsenal fan would be impressed by that display. Defensive, counter attacking style is valid, but incessant fouling with no penalty beyond long freekicks is against the rules and the spirit of the game and the dutch will be beat by a team that has the aerial game to capitalize on those freekicks. chile's best chances were both by felipe gutierrez who was playing in place of vidal, Im quite confident that had he played this game would have been 2-0 for chile.

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    if you are going to be a stat in a sport that doesnt lend itself to being a stat (an attempt out of bounds can be a way better attempt than one "on target", a scoring opportunity that doesnt result in a shot attempt can be better than a shot into the stands etc), but at least use accurate stats. per uefa (the superior federation according to you), the dutch had 11 attempts 5 on target, chile 7 attempts 1 on target. not a huge difference at all. chile had 7 corners to the dutch 2, and holland committed 23 fouls to chile's 14. cherry picking "shots on target" as if they reflect the course of the game is ing re ed.

as for the great ref, i'll disregard robben flopping himself to two free kicks in the first 10 minutes, de jong not getting a caution for breaking an attack intentionally with his hand in the first 10 minutes, and silva getting the weakest yellow card of the tournament in the first half hour. whatever, happens. what i wont disregard (and i wish i could find match video but there is nothing on youtube) is holland constantly fouling with no cards till the 64th minute. 12 fouls in the first half, 4 of them on alexis, all of them by blind, no card. silva got his card on his 2nd foul (of course, because robben got in the refs face and pressured him into it, he hadnt even reached to his pocket till robben got on him, the same way the dutch CBs have been getting into the faces of anyone who falls in their box regardless if they pushed them down or not as Kuyt pushed alexis who had won position to header a good cross in the 36th minute- had kuyt challenged the ball shoulder to shoulder i would agree no foul, but he was behind alexis and used his hand to push him down this is a text book penalty). there were 6 more fouls in the first 20 minutes of the second half, at this point blind has fouled alexis 6 times and alexis has been fouled in total 8 times, only then does he get his card. de jong and blind between them have committed 10 of the 18 fouls, both have committed multiple fouls in 1-2 minute spans, and all chile has to show for it is one yellow card and crosses they cant capitalize on because they are midgets. its not hollands fault they are midgets, but it is the refs fault for letting the dutch foul instead of defend.

whatever, chile has limitations and will never be a world cup contender, but the dutch team was disgusting yesterday, in fact im shocked a supposed arsenal fan would be impressed by that display. Defensive, counter attacking style is valid, but incessant fouling with no penalty beyond long freekicks is against the rules and the spirit of the game and the dutch will be beat by a team that has the aerial game to capitalize on those freekicks. chile's best chances were both by felipe gutierrez who was playing in place of vidal, Im quite confident that had he played this game would have been 2-0 for chile.
    And i'm confident had Van Persie played the score would be 5-0 for the Netherlands, funny how that works.

I cherry picked that stat because it matches my perception of the game - while Chile had possesion they weren't particulary dangerous with it. Maybe if Chilean players didn't fall over whenever somebody touched them they would get the benefit of the doubt from the referee. They fell so much in the dutch penalty box, i was getting worry if there is some inner ear infection epidemic going on in Chile.

I've never said i was impressed with the display of Netherlands and i don't know why you bring Arsenal into this. I was a Dutch fan long before i was an Arsenal fan - in fact the only reason i'm an Arsenal fan is Bergkamp. (and FYI Arsenal used to be known for the hard nosed defensive style of game back in the days). I don't really care for this particular iteration of dutch team though, as they have Robben and De Jong - two players i dislike very much. I fully understand why the Netherlands played the way they did, they were missing their best offensive weapon and they didn't need the win, it's called tactics. Deal with it.

And lol @ "against the spirit of the game"

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Spain
    Post Count
    Kind of felt some kind of way for David Villa when he walked off the pitch. Part of a widely successful incarnation of the Spanish side. Definitely wasn't the way he imagined he'd go out but at least he was part of the fulfillment (finally) of a talented Spanish side.

Veteran
    Post Count
    Except van Persia wasn't there because he was suspended and Vidal was resting because he's coming off surgery. The dutch tactics paid off because the ref allowed it and you can't complain about two Chilean dives (the foul on Alexis in between wasn't) when robben set the tone from the start with his dives. Also shortly before the goal Alexis was brought down by the keeper, it looked like the keeper touched the ball so no complaints but the corner wasn't given. Not the first time a ref screws up but not a "great ref" I'll bet you he won't get another WC game

Thread Information