Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This 's mostly about ISPs also being cable companies and wanting to make it more expensive to use services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO, NBA League Pass online, etc that threaten their TV service. Pls Ted Cruz, protect my monopoly!

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The costs are already escalated by lack of compe ion.
    My internet is cheap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This 's mostly about ISPs also being cable companies and wanting to make it more expensive to use services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO, NBA League Pass online, etc that threaten their TV service. Pls Ted Cruz, protect my monopoly!
    ISP's are offering the a la carte content cable companies have refused to for decades. I only pay for the content I want.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone on Cruz's side of the issue most likely uses internet explorer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The general point of Senator Cruz's message was that federal regulation (of the type found in le II) will ultimately lead to a stagnant technology with bersome rules to navigate where costs are escalated by hidden fees and lack of compe ion.
    Based on what? Up until ISPs started to demand extra payment from content providers, they were effectively working as a le II utility. You know, while the entire internet ecosystem was flourishing and stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on what? Up until ISPs started to demand extra payment from content providers, they were effectively working as a le II utility. You know, while the entire internet ecosystem was flourishing and stuff.
    But the internets crashed the bubble and made Bush look bad

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Americans have it great.

Study: Broadband Still Slower, More Expensive In U.S. Than In Europe, Asia

American consumers have gotten a mixed bag of broadband news this year. Between mergers and net neutrality it’s been a rough twelve months, even while some consumers have seen better connections and dropping prices. But the news for most of us is the same as ever: on the whole, Americans pay more, for worse broadband service, than our peers in the rest of the world.The Open Technology Ins ute at the New America Foundation conducts a study every year comparing broadband speeds and prices nation- and world-wide. This year’s, which they released this week, is the third annual study.

Last year’s report found that Americans were paying more for broadband access than our counterparts abroad, and getting worse service for it.

This year’s data paint a similar picture. Overall, our national average broadband speeds are still lower, and our prices higher, than what customers in similarly-sized cities in Europe and Asia get.

That’s not to say that all consumers in the U.S. are chugging along with terrible connections, though. In fact, the seven top-ranking cities, all tied at first place with symmetrical gigabit connections, include three cities in Asia and four in the U.S. Seoul, Hong Kong, and Tokyo are tied for first place along with Chattanooga, TN; Kansas City, KS; Kansas City, MO; and Lafayette, LA.

If that list of cities sounds familiar, it’s because Chattanooga is the country’s go-to example of just how great municipal broadband can be, and the Kansas City area is where Google Fiber first launched. Lafayette also has a well-regarded public fiber utility.

But in larger cities, where only big in bent ISPs like Comcast, Verizon, and Time Warner Cable operate, the picture is more dire. Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, DC all tie for 12th place on the list, with fiber connections of 500 Mbps. San Francisco, America’s high-tech hotbed, comes in near the bottom of the list with top speeds of 200 Mbps, just 20% of what consumers in Chattanooga can get.

American users aren’t just seeing slower service, though; even though prices have dropped since last year, we’re still paying significantly more for every gigabyte we get. Gigabit service in Chattanooga and Kansas City runs $70 per month, and in Lafayette it’s about $110. As compared to last year’s $1000 monthly fee, that’s great. But customers in Seoul, Hong Kong, and Tokyo — all cities with a high cost of living — are all paying between $30 and $40 USD for their connections.

Meanwhile, those 500 Mbps connections in New York and L.A. — literally half as fast — will run a subscriber a whopping $300 per month. American consumers are also paying more in other ways, for example, with high monthly modem rental fees.

So what’s keeping American broadband down? There seem to be two key factors: one, broadband is a government-sponsored or -subsidized utility in many other parts of the world.

Public or public/private partnerships for broadband are often very successful in the United States, as Lafayette, Chattanooga, and Kansas City show. But they’re very, very hard to get started. Not only do new ventures face logistical and financial hurdles, but also legal ones. In bent ISPs, especially AT&T, have successfully sponsored or lobbied for state level laws that prohibit the construction or expansion of municipal broadband projects.

The other major factor is related, and it’s compe ion. Or, more specifically, the complete lack of it. Inmost U.S. cities, customers seeking high-speed internet don’t really have a choice of what provider to go with. For connections faster than 25 Mbps, over 80% of us can go with, at most, one provider.

Big telecom companies are nominally expanding their gigabit fiber networks, but they aren’t there yet and it will be a long, slow slog before they are. And without compe ion, they aren’t really motivated to. In bent ISPs are more likely to pretend everything is great and rigging the rules in their favorthan they are actually to spend the time and money it takes to make wide-scale change.

OTI has made their full data set available to anyone who wishes to dig around in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the kind of stuff that stifles compe ion:

ISP lobby has already won limits on public broadband in 20 states

And it's always ISPs behind them. If they didn't have the monopoly, they couldn't extract ransom. It really is economy 101.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the kind of stuff that stifles compe ion:

ISP lobby has already won limits on public broadband in 20 states

And it's always ISPs behind them. If they didn't have the monopoly, they couldn't extract ransom. It really is economy 101.
    big government Republicans at the state level in Texas ting on local small government

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We're from the Government and
    we're here to fix your internet.
    goddam, you're ing dense.

BigCorps have announced their plan to break net neutrality

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not broken, it just sucks compared to other countries thanks to a lack of ISP regulation and oversight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not broken, it just sucks compared to other countries thanks to a lack of ISP regulation and oversight.
    Get in the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's unfortunate, because the topic is a bit more complex and serious than a cartoon. That is, however, the level of discourse you're likely to find.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's unfortunate, because the topic is a bit more complex and serious than a cartoon. That is, however, the level of discourse you're likely to find.
    It's really not that complicated to me.

My internet works fine. The government pretty much s up any commercial enterprise in which it involves itself -- making it more expensive and less useful. Leave it the way it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    of course it's not complicated to you. You don't know a thing about what this discussion is about. What peering is, why the internet flourished without such agreements, etc.

Government has always been involved with this particular commercial enterprise, including handing out monopolies. That's not even an argument in this discussion.

I actually always found mind-boggling people that purport to want smaller government, but form opinion directly from career politicians' discourse. Intellectual laziness to the max.

At least boutons thinks government is useful...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why we can't have nice things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why we can't have nice things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My internet works fine.
    Because your expectations are low.

My Dial-up Internet worked fine too when that's all I knew. But I'm glad that's not all I have to settle for today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because your expectations are low.

My Dial-up Internet worked fine too when that's all I knew. But I'm glad that's not all I have to settle for today.
    Meh. I think we could do with a little less technology, if you ask me.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    But that makes too much sense, so we'll probably end up with some hacked up "solution" that maintains the monopolies, and tries to keep every player happy by taking a dump on the consumer.
    That tends to be the result when the government starts meddling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And for a little more money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That tends to be the result when the government starts meddling.
    The two of you and Senator Cruz have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when it comes to this subject. You're embarrassing yourself with your boilerplate, knee jerk, government s up everything when they get involved responses.

Thread Information