Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to avoid injury for a season before I crown him, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In his rookie year, I said he was going to be a superstar and you freaking assholes laughed at me...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to avoid injury for a season before I crown him, tbh..

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In his rookie year, I said he was going to be a superstar and you freaking assholes laughed at me...
    It was a pretty easy to call to make when he was back at Kentucky, but everyone here wants to call everyone a bust. I still remember the way people all over Durant back in 07.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys see his stats tonight?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy . Anthony Davis so far tonight (game not over yet)

29 and 10 on 14-18 shooting, 3 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks, 0 TOs.

Dude is a ing wrecking crew. Best big in the league now and it's NOT close.

You could make a pretty damn good argument that Davis has passed Durant as the 2nd best player in the L. He's already a monster on both ends of the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    14 makes on 18 shots.

how many FGA would Kobe need to make 14

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It was a pretty easy to call to make when he was back at Kentucky, but everyone here wants to call everyone a bust. I still remember the way people all over Durant back in 07.
    people thought Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was going to be a better pro

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    14 makes on 18 shots.

how many FGA would Kobe need to make 14
    I'll put the over/under at 33.5 FGA.

Sound about right?

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Anthony Davis leads NBA’s MVP race

Neil Greenberg November 18

(Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports)

It’s never to early to start talking about who should be the most valuable player in the NBA. It’s also never too early to start arguing what it means to be most valuable, because what determines value is not clearly defined in the award’s mandate. Since these are objective rankings, the narrative around the player will be ignored and we will instead focus on how a player’s contributions to his team will impact the voting.

For example, a quick look at previous MVP winners since 1979 shows that all but one, Allen Iverson, won the award while producing more than 0.200 win shares per 48 minutes. Win Shares are an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player – the league average hovers around 0.100 and higher is better. This threshold eliminates New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony, who is producing just 0.103 win shares per 48 minutes of play.
    We can also eliminate any player with a Player Efficiency Rating — a measure of per-minute production standardized such that the league average is 15 — less than 22 since Steve Nash set that lower limit with his MVP award at the conclusion of the 2004-05 season.
    And finally, a player has to be an active part of the team’s possessions, as measured by usage percentage, an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor. The minimums were again set by Nash, who was used in just 20.5 percent of the Suns’ plays during the 2004-05 season.
    Now that we have a short list of players, we can start to narrow down the list of eligible candidates to the five most deserving.

1. Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans

Through the early part of this season, Davis leads the league in win shares (2.4) and is averaging 0.353 win shares per 48 minutes. Plus, he has a true shooting percentage of 61.8 percent and has been a force inside the paint.
    Anthony Davis shot chart, 2014-15 regular season

Defensively, he has helped the Pelicans hold opponents to 95 points per 100 possessions and is blocking four shots per game, including these two in two seconds against Portland.

He is also getting his name mentioned in some esteemed company:
    Anthony Davis has got now, not next. His PER is 37.11. Wilt's best: 31.82. Jordan's best: 31.71. LeBron's best: 31.67

2. James Harden, Houston Rockets

There has never been a question that Harden could score – he averaged 23.1 points and 6.7 assists per game last season — but this year he has improved the defensive part of his game, and that has taken him to another level.

Harden also ranks second in the NBA for win shares with 2.1 and fourth in value over replacement (6.4).

3. Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors

Here is where Curry, ranks for some of the more familiar stats:

• 24.8 points per game: fourth
    • 7.7 assists per game: fifth
    • 2.3 steals per game: third

He is also hitting from beyond the three-point arc, where he is shooting 39.7 percent.
    Stephen Curry shot chart, 2014-15 regular season

Curry is also in the top ten for points created by assist per game (17.7) on 59.3 passes per game.

4. Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers

Lillard was named Western Conference player of the week and is averaging 20.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and 6.6 assists per game this season. His 35 three-pointers made lead the league and he is third in value over replacement (7.2).

5. Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors

Lowry is averaging 18.3 points, 4.8 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game and is having a career year for a team that is 8-2 after their first ten games. The Raptors point guard ranks ninth in “kitchen sink win probability added,” which calculates how his box score stats contribute to the team’s winning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOAT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's incredible.

whats hilarious to me is that he is still very raw as a scorer, but is able to score with ease

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan like

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    43 points on 16-23 shooting, 14 rebounds

In other news, Eric Gordon sustained his annual injury. Separated shoulder

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was going to bump this. went balls deep. some grey upstairs saying AD could not replace Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to go after AD after Duncan retires, he is unbelievable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like I'm more impressed with him than I was with Lebron or durant when they were on the rise. Not to say he's definitely better than a young Lebron, but it's just ridiculous how dominant he is considering how much better he could get offensively. Finger crossed this guy stays healthy, the league is gonna be his soon.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Little Davis looks like the best player in the league, tbh..just hope he stays healthy, though..

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's incredible.

whats hilarious to me is that he is still very raw as a scorer, but is able to score with ease
    I don't think Davis is that raw. He was one of the most talented offensive prospects I had ever seen in high school, but Calipari used him like he was Marcus Camby. I knew he was going to be a way better pro than college player when he'd have a chance to call his own number more. This dude was a guard for years until he hit a massive growth spurt junior year of HS. I was so pissed I drafted Gilchrist over him for a keepers fantasy league in their junior years of high school (MKG was the top rated prospect at the time), because by senior season it was obvious Davis was head and shoulders over everyone, even Drummond.

sha na na na na kneeeees Axl Rose's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    he's incredible.

Yup, if he ever develops a couple of go to moves it's OGRE

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Tonight at Houston in a solid road win:

30 points (10/17 FG)
    14 rebounds
    5 blocks
    2 steals
    3 assists

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    davis>>prime d12?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tonight at Houston in a solid road win:

30 points (10/17 FG)
    14 rebounds
    5 blocks
    2 steals
    3 assists
    This is what happens when Evans is not playing..

Addition by subtraction

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    This is what happens when Evans is not playing..

Addition by subtraction
    That is quite true it seems.

Thread Information