Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Suaperro got very lucky to only receive a 4th ban tbh.

Veteran
    Post Count
    Don't move the goalposts. First you were saying Sakho wouldn't be punished or that no one cared about his foul. That clearly isn't true; now you're claiming "ib/c pandora's box ". I don't need to prove that every single incident has been caught in FIFA history (you need to find actual examples too). I know that several people besides Suarez HAVE been punished (for stamps, elbows, kicks, headbutts), so you cannot claim they are only targeting Suarez.

You don't have to go far to find the longest bans in EPL. The English FA keeps a running list of suspensions as well. It was only last year where the FA expanded its rules to even allow retrospective bans on violent conduct that was even seen by the ref. FIFA doesn't allow that yet.

It's Suarez's fault he was dumb enough to bite people in an era that allows retrospective bans to this degree. And there a TONS of players that have been banned - get over the witch hunt angle. And no - FIFA didn't review De Jong's tackle because Howard Webb assessed it and gave him a yellow. Webb later said if he saw a better angle he would've given him a red. And FIFA, as I've said, cannot review fouls retrospectively AFTER a ref has made notes that he reviewed the incident on the pitch. It's much easier to argue when you know the actual facts and rules of the game than posting images/videos crying " persecution".

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2012...r-league-bans/
    http://nav.thefa.com/sitecore/conten...493E9199B&_z=z
    http://nav.thefa.com/sitecore/conten...-charge-230112
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ty/5339964.stm

witch hunt
    cannibal rights
    it was just a nibble
    he thought his name was 'Fettuccine' not "Chiellini"
    ok mr goalposts. You're the one who is putting the de jong kick in my mouth, i never mentioned it, precisely because it was called in game. The whole point of my argument is that there is no precedent for infractions not called in game to be sanctioned afterwards based on tv , outside of the tassoti elbow in 94 that broke luis enrique's nose (and carried a smaller punishment than the suarez bite). the links you posted are all of incidents that were called in game and disciplinary measures were taken based on the refs report. So dont tell me I dont know the rules. After the 94 precedent can you give me a single example of a player being sanctioned for something the ref did not see and was later caught by television cameras? that is the question.

I never defended suarez bite, you already wrongly accused me of that, I questioned FIFA's inconsistency in applying sanctions to fouls that occured that escaped the refs judgement by basing themselves on television footage (just like the inconsistency in handling maradona's doping positives to others, another conveniently ignored point). To that end, I am still waiting for the sakho judgement you have repeatedly stated is coming, or for the van bommel foul in the video i posted above 4 years earlier- unless you want to argue those were legal challenges / unintentional, Id love to hear it.

If they want to apply that judgement, then great! It will clean up the game a lot as far as corners and freekicks, though it might taint the result of a lot of games (like when the NBA announces after a game that a ref screwed up on a call but doesnt go back to replay it); it also might encourage players to to the cameras more too (if the ecuadoran player had called attention to his elbow the way chiellini did to his bite maybe FIFA would already be investigating). but they must be consistent about it, or else it absolutely becomes a witch hunt.

Before FIFA always said that what the ref determines in game is what happened, if its not in the report at the end of the game it didnt happen. Now, every time a foul isnt called, particularly incident away from the ball, we should expect a review and a sanction. Phenomanul is saying that sakho isnt a repeat offender so its different (is he, do you know? i would guess that a professional CB probably isnt the first time he threw an elbow). Well ssuming it his first time, shouldnt he be given his first strike then? is it fair for him to be able to play next round while suarez cant, when they obstensibly did the same thing (make an illegal violent attack without getting caught in game)?

Im fine with suarez being suspended for biting, even if the punishment is excessive in my opinion (remember the only precedent is tassoti's 8 games, and he broke the other guys nose and took him out of the game, suarez bite was not nearly as violent). what im not fine with is the way he was caught and how that standard is handled, whether it be in between (94-2014) or going forward (sahko). if you cant see the problem then you are the one who doesnt understand the rules.

as for keane i brought him up to show that an intentional, career ending tackle was met with an 8 game suspension by the FA and hero status for keane in england, I understand perfectly well that the rules prevented them from giving him more than 3 games initially, but the way the english media treats keane vs how they treat suarez absolutely has to do with where they come from and cultural conventions (keane is a tough hard man, suarez is a cheating animal). When Keane admitted his challenge was intentional they could have easily given him more than 5 games, and keane definitely has a history of violent tackles so its not a matter of it being a one time thing. evidently a lot of people on this board feel the same, asking for a life ban. Its just absurd to me that people would feel that way when there are much more violent players out there, chielini included-

no call, no review, no suspension, clearly throwing punches

broke two bones, red card 3 games nothing more

doesnt mean biting is ok, or that biting chielini is ok. But if you think suarez bites are worthy of a life time ban or even a year, then why the double standard with violent defenders who pride themselves on breaking people? they are as old as the sport and exist in every league (argentina and uruguay included, especially even)

Now I have heard some people say that the ref did call a foul on suarez on the play, and that essentially FIFA is upgrading it. Ok, that works. But then why wasnt Figo's head butt in 2006 upgraded from a yellow to a red, or belharouz criminal foul on ronaldo in the same game, or the de jong kick last year, etc etc etc. See, this sanction is terribly inconsistent no matter which way you argue it.

Veteran
    Post Count
    and i usually dont bother to respond to haters nonsense, but uruguay a FIFA powerhouse? right, that 3 million population is a real important market, legendary how FIFA bends over backwards for them

if anything that explains why we havent heard a peep about sakho from FIFA yet, platini was asking for more cards in 2006 but hes awful quiet now

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    ok mr goalposts. You're the one who is putting the de jong kick in my mouth, i never mentioned it, precisely because it was called in game. the links you posted are all of incidents that were called in game and disciplinary measures were taken based on the refs report. So dont tell me I dont know the rules. After the 94 precedent can you give me a single example of a player being sanctioned for something the ref did not see and was later caught by television cameras? that is the question.
    You didn't read the links. You still wouldn't make this the basis of your argument of you did.

"Thatcher was only booked at the time by referee Dermot Gallagher, who failed to spot the former Wales international smashing his forearm into Mendes' face as the pair chased for possession during the second half of the game.

Aware of the severity of the incident, the FA cir vented its own rules to lodge a charge of "serious foul play" against Thatcher."

"The Italian striker, who Harry Redknapp insisted should not have been on the pitch to convert the stoppage-time penalty that defeated Spurs, was charged this evening once the Football Association had considered referee Howard Webb's official match report. Webb has confirmed he missed the 83rd-minute incident at the Etihad Stadium and would have shown Balotelli a straight red card had he spotted the City subs ute appearing to aim a back-heel at the Tottenham midfielder as he lay on the floor."

Suarez...last year:
    "Referee Kevin Friend did not seem to see the incident but spoke to both players after they clashed, with Ivanovic trying to show the official a mark on his upper arm."
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/22141299

Scott Adams on Olivier Grioud:
    "Stoke midfielder Charlie Adam has been hit with a three-match ban by the FA after being charged with violent conduct for a stamp on Arsenal forward Olivier Giroud during his team's 1-0 victory on Saturday. Television cameras caught Adam stamping down on Giroud's led in an off-the-ball incident which went unnoticed by referee Mike Jones."
    http://www.sport.net/stoke-city-midf...-appeal_139296

Suarez's recent bite using TV replays is not a precedent...I don't know how many times I have to say this. Suarez's bite LAST YEAR wasn't even a precedent. Read the actual facts of what has happened in the past.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    some terrible gotry going on here, people trying to find excuses for this suarez got who is at the 4th (FOURTH) incident. It wasn't some tackle or some game related play, he bit another player in an off the ball scenario and it wans't the first or second time. Should be banned for a year. People comparing this to hard tackles or dirty fouls

Veteran
    Post Count
    You didn't read the links. You still wouldn't make this the basis of your argument of you did.

"Thatcher was only booked at the time by referee Dermot Gallagher, who failed to spot the former Wales international smashing his forearm into Mendes' face as the pair chased for possession during the second half of the game.

Aware of the severity of the incident, the FA cir vented its own rules to lodge a charge of "serious foul play" against Thatcher."

"The Italian striker, who Harry Redknapp insisted should not have been on the pitch to convert the stoppage-time penalty that defeated Spurs, was charged this evening once the Football Association had considered referee Howard Webb's official match report. Webb has confirmed he missed the 83rd-minute incident at the Etihad Stadium and would have shown Balotelli a straight red card had he spotted the City subs ute appearing to aim a back-heel at the Tottenham midfielder as he lay on the floor."

Suarez...last year:
    "Referee Kevin Friend did not seem to see the incident but spoke to both players after they clashed, with Ivanovic trying to show the official a mark on his upper arm."
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/22141299

Scott Adams on Olivier Grioud:
    "Stoke midfielder Charlie Adam has been hit with a three-match ban by the FA after being charged with violent conduct for a stamp on Arsenal forward Olivier Giroud during his team's 1-0 victory on Saturday. Television cameras caught Adam stamping down on Giroud's led in an off-the-ball incident which went unnoticed by referee Mike Jones."
    http://www.sport.net/stoke-city-midf...-appeal_139296

Suarez's recent bite using TV replays is not a precedent...I don't know how many times I have to say this. Suarez's bite LAST YEAR wasn't even a precedent. Read the actual facts of what has happened in the past.
    I seldom watch premier league games so I went off the links, in your quotes all but the Giroud inicident mention the match report ref addressing the foul in game and later upgrading it from TV footage. which is as I understand it not what happened now. how about an example from the world cup, which is what we are discussing?

and again, even if you are right and there is precedent, how about consistency? why still no sahko investigation?(which could well determine he was innocent, but at the least an investigation should be announced as was the case with suarez). or the other examples I gave? or is this just a matter of who is the sorest loser and complains the opponent into suspension?

9 games is way too much. I would've settle for a one game suspension and everyone happy, even Uruguayans.

9 games is way too much. I would've settle for a one game suspension and everyone happy, even Uruguayans.
    Even 4 or 5 games would have been OK.... to me what's ridiculously excessive is the 4 months ban .... and not allowing the guy to be in a stadium? that's some heavy BS.
    Last edited by it's me; 06-27-2014 at 08:51 AM.

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    I seldom watch premier league games so I went off the links, in your quotes all but the Giroud inicident mention the match report ref addressing the foul in game and later upgrading it from TV footage. which is as I understand it not what happened now. how about an example from the world cup, which is what we are discussing?
    This is what I meant by 'moving the goalposts'

If we're discussing just the world cup (which is completely arbitrary, since the FA is part of FIFA and Suarez himself has been banned before because of replay) - why did you bring up videos of Keane and Chiellini in their domestic league matches? You're not even been consistent with you own position. Are you now trying to claim that it's a precendent because it's the FIRST time Suarez has biten someone in an international match as opposed to a club match?

You argued there was no precendent before Suarez for using replays to punish players afterwards, and that's simply not true. He's not the first and won't be the last.
    and again, even if you are right and there is precedent, how about consistency? why still no sahko investigation?(which could well determine he was innocent, but at the least an investigation should be announced as was the case with suarez). or the other examples I gave? or is this just a matter of who is the sorest loser and complains the opponent into suspension??
    If you have a problem with the manner in which FIFA assesses them - this can be a valid point. I by no means think FIFA is perfect in their punishments. For Sakho? I don't know, maybe they've determined he was innocent and will announce it. And you can argue their system is flawed; but you cannot argue that there's not precedent in the way FIFA has handled Suarez using replays. I've shown this already. And I'm sorry, Suarez is biting another human being (for the third time) - there's not room for much interpretation in terms of intent.

I read today that even Chiellini thinks the suspension is exaggerated.

Dopo la stangata della Fifa a Luis Suarez, Giorgio Chiellini affida al suo sito internet le sensazioni del momento: "Non provo sentimenti di gioia, vendetta o rabbia contro Suarez per un incidente che è accaduto in campo ed è finito lì. Ho sempre considerato inequivocabili gli interventi disciplinari da parte degli organi competenti, ma credo che la formula proposta sia eccessiva", ha scritto. "Rimangono solo la rabbia e delusione per la par a persa - ha proseguito il difensore della Nazionale -. Al momento il mio unico pensiero è per Luis e la sua famiglia, perché si troveranno ad affrontare un periodo molto difficile". Nel dettaglio, Chiellini esprime grande perplessità sulla scelta della Fifa: "Spero sinceramente che gli sarà consen o, almeno, di stare vicino ai suoi compagni di squadra durante le par e perché tale divieto è davvero alienante per un giocatore".
    I saw that too manuloco......FIFA is a joke.... Chiellini himself is saying it's excessive, and that it was a game situation that should have ended there.

I somehow disagree.... it did deserve some sort of punishment, but they went way too far IMO.

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Chiellini is a ing moron. He's the one that made the big speech essentially calling FIFA corrupt for protecting Suarez and he was the one screaming for action to be taken after the game. I guess he realized that Suarez is just a ty person like he is, and feels some sort of solidarity now.

My Team
    Birmingham City FC
    Post Count
    I hope someone bites a Uruguayan player just so their got media have to go back on all this Suarez sucking

Veteran
    Post Count
    This is what I meant by 'moving the goalposts'

If we're discussing just the world cup (which is completely arbitrary, since the FA is part of FIFA and Suarez himself has been banned before because of replay) - why did you bring up videos of Keane and Chiellini in their domestic league matches? You're not even been consistent with you own position. Are you now trying to claim that it's a precendent because it's the FIRST time Suarez has biten someone in an international match as opposed to a club match?

You argued there was no precendent before Suarez for using replays to punish players afterwards, and that's simply not true. He's not the first and won't be the last.

If you have a problem with the manner in which FIFA assesses them - this can be a valid point. I by no means think FIFA is perfect in their punishments. For Sakho? I don't know, maybe they've determined he was innocent and will announce it. And you can argue their system is flawed; but you cannot argue that there's not precedent in the way FIFA has handled Suarez using replays. I've shown this already. And I'm sorry, Suarez is biting another human being (for the third time) - there's not room for much interpretation in terms of intent.
    In conmebol qualifiers, libertadores cup, and domestic leagues I can show you tons of incidents of nut punches and elbows away from the ball , I haven't because the world cup obviosy adheres to a different standard. (Off the top of my head last qualifiers, jara punched suarez in the balls on a corner, paulo guerero got his head cracked open by an elbow no foul called either play no sanction). I mentioned Keane to show the bias in the British media / FA, which you yourself acknowledged has a different process than FIFA. Its undeniable there are differences.

And for the third time, when I'm talking about Keane or chielini or materazzi or pepe etc my point has nothing to do with rules but to illustrate the difference in perception by fans, that accept defenders being extremely violent to the point of injuring others but call for a life ban for biting; the point isn't that biting is ok, but if Suarez is getting suspended 7, then 10, then 4 months / 9 games then how have butchers like the aforementioned gotten away with such little punishment?

I always acknowledged there was one world cup precedent the tossati elbow, which imo is an entirely different situation as it lead to a sub being wasted and a player injured and taken out of the game. But outside of that one incident what others are there? And a big part of my point has always been how arbitrary the judgment is. Sahko already got off Scott free, if there was an investigation it would have been announced. Same with the van bommel foul in 2010, if I had more time I'd look at more matches and surely find instances of punches elbows headbutts and grabs not sanctioned after the fact.

Nowhere in the FIFA sentence does it say Suarez is being punished for being a repeat offender. If he had been red carded (as he should have) he'd miss 3 games, he is getting triple plus a destic ban. And if it doesn't matter whether the ref called it on the field or not, why wasn't de jong and figo and so on upgraded too?

Same as with maradona. Plenty of other doping sanction, none as extreme as his- why?

My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count
    I hope someone bites a Uruguayan player just so their got media have to go back on all this Suarez sucking
    They never would. Them s baby Suarez even if that raped they kids. s have gone full re

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    In conmebol qualifiers, libertadores cup, and domestic leagues I can show you tons of incidents of nut punches and elbows away from the ball , I haven't because the world cup obviosy adheres to a different standard. (Off the top of my head last qualifiers, jara punched suarez in the balls on a corner, paulo guerero got his head cracked open by an elbow no foul called either play no sanction). I mentioned Keane to show the bias in the British media / FA, which you yourself acknowledged has a different process than FIFA. Its undeniable there are differences.

And for the third time, when I'm talking about Keane or chielini or materazzi or pepe etc my point has nothing to do with rules but to illustrate the difference in perception by fans, that accept defenders being extremely violent to the point of injuring others but call for a life ban for biting; the point isn't that biting is ok, but if Suarez is getting suspended 7, then 10, then 4 months / 9 games then how have butchers like the aforementioned gotten away with such little punishment?

I always acknowledged there was one world cup precedent the tossati elbow, which imo is an entirely different situation as it lead to a sub being wasted and a player injured and taken out of the game. But outside of that one incident what others are there? And a big part of my point has always been how arbitrary the judgment is. Sahko already got off Scott free, if there was an investigation it would have been announced. Same with the van bommel foul in 2010, if I had more time I'd look at more matches and surely find instances of punches elbows headbutts and grabs not sanctioned after the fact.

Nowhere in the FIFA sentence does it say Suarez is being punished for being a repeat offender. If he had been red carded (as he should have) he'd miss 3 games, he is getting triple plus a destic ban. And if it doesn't matter whether the ref called it on the field or not, why wasn't de jong and figo and so on upgraded too?

Same as with maradona. Plenty of other doping sanction, none as extreme as his- why?
    I don't know what to tell you. FIFA clearly said Suarez's past will be factored into this punishment.

Link: http://www.espnfc.com/uruguay/story/...-investigation

And it does matter if it's called on the field or not - only the FA to my knowledge can add additional punishment if the referee saw and dealt with the offense on the field (since November 2013). If you think that rule is stupid, that's OK. But it has nothing to do with Suarez. Suarez didn't get a lifelong ban, so I don't know why you're talking about that. But the truth is, most of the world finds biting players more appalling and insane then elbows and kicks (which cna be accidental or not). For doping, people have been banned for 6+ months recently (see Ferdinand and Kolo Toure to name a few).

Suarez got off easy. I don't know why you're trying to nitpick very old cases that may or may not have warranted punishment when I've shown you many that have been punished using video replay. On top of that, Suarez HIMSELF has been banned twice for biting after the use of replays...so how can you possibly think there's no precedent?

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Better yet he needs to return and bite the Uruguayan coach's ear off in practice a la Mike Tyson.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    They never would. Them s baby Suarez even if that raped they kids. s have gone full re
    lol Liverpool offering a contract ot Suarez out of desperation
    EPL
    Need foreigners cuz their own players suck

My Team
    Uruguay
    Post Count
    Just like predicted... congrats Colombia you were the better team

My Team
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Post Count
    lol Liverpool offering a contract ot Suarez out of desperation
    EPL