Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually don't see the switch with Danny, but maybe with Tim... it really opens up possibilities for LMA and Kawhi. I really want him to shoot the 3, but its apparently not in his repertoire of confidence. Still he's been hot from the midrange, you have to guard him out there. I think without Tim you give up some things, but teams are playing very perimeter oriented these days anyways, and with Timmy's knee you don't want him to take a pounding for 30-35 minutes in the PO.
    I can't see benching Tim. I just can't. I CAN totally see Anderson starting every game Tim sits and possibly being the first big off the bench. You can still give Tim fewer minutes that way.

The real question is if Diaw has become expendable with the rise of Anderson. People have been talking about trading Danny for a star, but Diaw only has half of his salary next year guaranteed. I could totally see someone being willing to take it in a dump with only a little incentive. That could totally help the Spurs get into the free-agent hunt, which they'll need to if Kyle is going to be more of a four going forward.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I can't see benching Tim. I just can't. I CAN totally see Anderson starting every game Tim sits and possibly being the first big off the bench. You can still give Tim fewer minutes that way.

The real question is if Diaw has become expendable with the rise of Anderson. People have been talking about trading Danny for a star, but Diaw only has half of his salary next year guaranteed. I could totally see someone being willing to take it in a dump with only a little incentive. That could totally help the Spurs get into the free-agent hunt, which they'll need to if Kyle is going to be more of a four going forward.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would give this church to ISIS to convert into a mosque, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can't see benching Tim either, but I do see his minutes reduced specially bc of the knee and he really isn't match up proof at this point in his career. The Pelicans with Timmy killed us last game and Pop eventually benched him last game giving him only 19 minutes even when he was healthy and LMA tweaked an ankle. There is a reason the Pellies have defeated us recently. It's possible even with Tim, he doesn't play many minutes against this Pelicans team tonight. They were too perimeter oriented and having Davis/LMA was much better than Davis/Tim and then Ryan Anderson/LMA.

I am truly not sure eventually what Pop wants to do with Anderson, he's now stepped up in the 4 bc Timmy is out, but b4 Pop had him at the 3. I thought the plan was having him as a 3, and if Manu retired next season you roll with Patty/Simmons/Anderson/Diaw and West or Boban or some big. But Anderson is versatile and can plug holes at the 4 against certain matchups and maybe even next season you play him more minutes bc he can play both spots.

Tim's knee to me is age. I am inclined to think its his last season (I could be wrong of course... just a hunch), in which case a move will have to be made. It's possible Simmons/Anderson are the eventual Manu/Diaw combo except Pop doesn't anticipate Diaw not being in the team so Kyle will be a 3 for a season.

This season, I do see Timmy's minutes reduced, specially when LMA is putting together these performances in Tim's absence. I do think Anderson can give you minutes in a kind of limited minutes death squad scenario, specially if he continues to improve (we must remember the positive that he's still getting better with his youth.)

Next season, if the veterans retire, Pop will have to evaluate the situation. They don't part with the beloved vets lightly but they might have to if they need someone to be a defensive anchor next to LMA.. bc you don't want to have him be a center all season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle drives past Kobe with the Iceman finger roll.
    https://vine.co/v/irZ7KuDjn5U

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No confidence in a mid range "jumper" has opponents just backing off him.
    This is his chance to shine with Manu absent, it's not happening yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice audio on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No confidence in a mid range "jumper" has opponents just backing off him.
    This is his chance to shine with Manu absent, it's not happening yet.

It's not happening? He's playing pretty damn well for what is a rookie year. Last year didn't play at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scoring in a crowd. That's what I like to see. Laker commentators claim it should have been a travel.

Anderson could learn a lot from Parker's footwork.
    Last edited by ceperez; 02-20-2016 at 10:23 AM.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not happening? He's playing pretty damn well for what is a rookie year. Last year didn't play at all.
    Agreed. Showing that he has potential to be a rotational player at this point is all we could ask for as a number 30 pick. Plus he's showing he could be more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the non-believers who thought he had played a bad game against the Lakers, watch this:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't have a bad game, but boy, he has some bad stretches.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is that for the times he didn't do well, he continued to compete after. Read this: http://www.businessinsider.com/coach...vesting-2016-2

He showed up when it really mattered. That's a good sign for a 22 year old who is expected to make the right play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understandable given his age and experience. Watching one of such stretches, just thought to myself this is why pop must prefer vets. He was learning on the job. The fouls too.

Did anyone else see kobe talking to him after kobe was dating him to shoot? It was during some foul shots. Wonder what kobe was telling him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So, I have an honest question for you and SAGirl. Why is it laudable for Manu to have played with the second unit for many years, but it would be an inglorious benching for Tim to play with the second unit? The best pairings since the beginning of the season have been LMA/West and Tim/Diaw. Tim/LMA has been awkward from the get-go. Yet many (most?) posters have refused to acknowledge it. It is about the team - not Tim or Tony or Manu, who accepted that long ago.

Perhaps now the best pairings are LMA/West and Tim/Anderson. I have posited since November that Kyle will ultimately become a point 4. That time is upon us, with Diaw's coasting/decline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I have an honest question for you and SAGirl. Why is it laudable for Manu to have played with the second unit for many years, but it would be an inglorious benching for Tim to play with the second unit? The best pairings since the beginning of the season have been LMA/West and Tim/Diaw. Tim/LMA has been awkward from the get-go. Yet many (most?) posters have refused to acknowledge it. It is about the team - not Tim or Tony or Manu, who accepted that long ago.

Perhaps now the best pairings are LMA/West and Tim/Anderson. I have posited since November that Kyle will ultimately become a point 4. That time is upon us, with Diaw's coasting/decline.
    Was honestly thinking the same thing last night. With kawhi and lma finding a rhythm and Tim in and out, the big 3 don't mix well. Everyone needs shots. Would rather have a more focused attack. But pop will probably save the adjustment for the playoffs. Really don't have to make that kind of chance now.

As for Kyle, I could see him starting as a for in this league too. He's got the size and length. I really think If Diaw has a poor showing in the playoffs he's gone. The fact that he hasn't been as efficient in the post and with Kyle younger and with a similar skill set we can call Diaw a luxury as of next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night Kyle was 4 of 6 at the end of the first half, and had played quite well. At the end of the 3rd quarter he was 5 of 12. All players have poor stretches. But as ceperez commented, Kyle bounced back very well in crunch time. Some posters have claimed that Kyle's mid-range game is suspect or that he lacks confidence in it. It is not his mid-range game but his 3-point shot that is the issue. Kobe backed off of him when Kyle was outside his comfort zone, but still could have recovered to defend against his comfortable, mid-range shot. Kyle needs to become a bigger threat from 3, but his mid-range shot is fine. Working with Chip, he will hopefully improve both.

What I have noticed the last couple of games is Kyle's showing signs of some real toughness. Against the Clips he aggressively dove to the floor for a loose ball and pulled down a couple of tough rebounds. He boxed out bigger foes quite well on a couple of boards. Then last night, the drive he made for the finger roll showed determination, aggressiveness and the mental toughness in crunch time to put his abysmal third quarter behind him. At 22 he is developing about as well as anybody could expect especially for a late first round pick. I don't really understand his detractors. He will be a valued contributor next season. I wish he could reach that level for the playoffs this season, but that is something I cannot see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was honestly thinking the same thing last night. With kawhi and lma finding a rhythm and Tim in and out, the big 3 don't mix well. Everyone needs shots. Would rather have a more focused attack. But pop will probably save the adjustment for the playoffs. Really don't have to make that kind of chance now.

As for Kyle, I could see him starting as a for in this league too. He's got the size and length. I really think If Diaw has a poor showing in the playoffs he's gone. The fact that he hasn't been as efficient in the post and with Kyle younger and with a similar skill set we can call Diaw a luxury as of next year.
    The future without Tim seems to be arriving sooner and more suddenly than most expected. Last month I was scorned by many when I started a thread about this season being Tim's "farewell tour." I have believed for some time that this is Tim's (and Manu's) final season. All of our guys need to start fighting harder to compensate for the decline of our foundational players. Diaw's coasting (if that is what it is) - especially under these cir stances - won't cut it. We cannot afford a luxury this season, and we certainly can't afford it next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone care to talk about his ceiling in averages and role?

As a Starter, I could see 12-14ppg 6-7rpg 4-5 apg in around 25-30mpg and as a bench player 8-9 ppg 3-4rpg 2-3apg in around 20-23 mpg. As far as role and his ceiling im a little unsure. Could he play manu role with the bench in the pick and roll or even play the two with the starters? Haven't seen him enough in the pick and roll and just thinking about it, he could be a point forward and best suited as a combo forward. As for the two, I think he can be played situationally. Like against the warriors and Livingston for example. Depending on how he does in the pick and roll he could potentially play a manu role or a Diaw role. When many retires I think he'll have his shot to facilitate. Also I think he could play a draymond green role in the aspect of having the ball at the top and shooting if he's open or passing to shooters coming off screens. I wonder if he can bulk up enough to guard dray in the post. Probably not fast enough to guard him on the perimeter. So I'm a little unsure as of small ball 5. His defense is hit or miss. He has vision but it's a little neglected, cause sometimes he makes really good passes but the intended recurve isn't expecting it. Needs to work on his three.

Edit: just noticed I put his averages at about draymond level. Lol but I think he can do that. Just don't know about defense. And I was talking as more of a four than a three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone care to talk about his ceiling in averages and role?

As a Starter, I could see 12-14ppg 6-7rpg 4-5 apg in around 25-30mpg and as a bench player 8-9 ppg 3-4rpg 2-3apg in around 20-23 mpg. As far as role and his ceiling im a little unsure. Could he play manu role with the bench in the pick and roll or even play the two with the starters? Haven't seen him enough in the pick and roll and just thinking about it, he could be a point forward and best suited as a combo forward. As for the two, I think he can be played situationally. Like against the warriors and Livingston for example. Depending on how he does in the pick and roll he could potentially play a manu role or a Diaw role. When many retires I think he'll have his shot to facilitate. Also I think he could play a draymond green role in the aspect of having the ball at the top and shooting if he's open or passing to shooters coming off screens. I wonder if he can bulk up enough to guard dray in the post. Probably not fast enough to guard him on the perimeter. So I'm a little unsure as of small ball 5. His defense is hit or miss. He has vision but it's a little neglected, cause sometimes he makes really good passes but the intended recurve isn't expecting it. Needs to work on his three.

Edit: just noticed I put his averages at about draymond level. Lol but I think he can do that. Just don't know about defense. And I was talking as more of a four than a three.
    I won't speculate about stats, but he will become a FOUR. If he maintains his current weight, he will be a second unit four, starting against some small ball teams. If he bulks up some and gains strength he will be a starting four against most teams. In either role he will be good.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the non-believers who thought he had played a bad game against the Lakers, watch this:

Can we get some Kobe highlights?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night Kyle was 4 of 6 at the end of the first half, and had played quite well. At the end of the 3rd quarter he was 5 of 12. All players have poor stretches. But as ceperez commented, Kyle bounced back very well in crunch time. Some posters have claimed that Kyle's mid-range game is suspect or that he lacks confidence in it. It is not his mid-range game but his 3-point shot that is the issue. Kobe backed off of him when Kyle was outside his comfort zone, but still could have recovered to defend against his comfortable, mid-range shot. Kyle needs to become a bigger threat from 3, but his mid-range shot is fine. Working with Chip, he will hopefully improve both.

What I have noticed the last couple of games is Kyle's showing signs of some real toughness. Against the Clips he aggressively dove to the floor for a loose ball and pulled down a couple of tough rebounds. He boxed out bigger foes quite well on a couple of boards. Then last night, the drive he made for the finger roll showed determination, aggressiveness and the mental toughness in crunch time to put his abysmal third quarter behind him. At 22 he is developing about as well as anybody could expect especially for a late first round pick. I don't really understand his detractors. He will be a valued contributor next season. I wish he could reach that level for the playoffs this season, but that is something I cannot see.
    It was a great learning experience for Kyle. He was matched up against Kobe and you better believe that Kobe was trash talking him. Hall of Famer daring his to shoot wide open. Kyle definitely got rattled, but he did recover.

Regarding defense against Kobe, it was pretty good, but when Kobe is hitting his shots he's hard to stop. Kobe has still got it, but due to age he doesn't have the staying power or the game to game consistency.

Simmons also had a good defensive play against Kobe in the few time he covered him. Simmons covered Kobe more times in the previous game against them.

What I did notice in defense was with Simmons and Butler was that they didn't need to switch. That's something I look forward to in the future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't speculate about stats, but he will become a FOUR. If he maintains his current weight, he will be a second unit four, starting against some small ball teams. If he bulks up some and gains strength he will be a starting four against most teams. In either role he will be good.
    With the league moving to small ball, you can see how valuable a 6'9" player dribbling the ball becomes. When you have a team like the Lakers with mostly 6'6" and under players, Anderson just 'walked' into the lane and scored. Look at the play where he lays it up, there were 3 players already in the lane and 2 others a foot away from the lane. Smaller players don't bother Kyle Anderson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we get some Kobe highlights?
    Yes... the Kobe highlight was were Kyle Anderson stole the ball in his cross-over move and dunked the ball on him. Maybe that's what fired up Kobe, he can't get embarrassed like that in his home court!

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes... the Kobe highlight was were Kyle Anderson stole the ball in his cross-over move and dunked the ball on him. Maybe that's what fired up Kobe, he can't get embarrassed like that in his home court!
    This bum should never play any minutes vs contenders.

Thread Information