Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    slow mo haters are actually the minority, very very loud and insistent but not very many of them in the real world. Just like there aren't any parker haters in the real world just the ones on here.

The biggest problem with SpursTalk... THE single biggest problem, even bigger than the attention s... is that anyone who has a negative assessment of a player is a "hater" by that player's krew.

Kyle was the last pick of the first round - 29 teams passed on him, but he's still a first-round pick. That makes for a mixed bag of expectations.

He went to one of the best teams in the league, for the past two decades or so, that is in the mix for a le almost every year. That also makes for expectation problems for a #30 draft pick, because players on this roster have to be better than average.

Kyle has some of the ball handling skills of a PG, but not enough to be a real PG. He has some of the physical attributes of a forward, but so far not enough to be a real forward. And yet he has fans who still somehow thing he's a Magic Johnson-esque point-forward.

Kyle earned himself the nickname "Slo-Mo" in college, for a reason, and it followed him to the pros for a reason. Yet a lot of the same people who talk about "today's NBA" and the need for fast, athletic players to play small ball, turn right around and act like KA's nickname really doesn't mean anything. Or that HIS lack of speed and athleticism somehow doesn't count.

Kyle has played pretty well, considering all that. But when people look at his performance in the context of winning another Championship, they're going to see some of the holes in his game. That doesn't make them "haters". It makes them Spurs fans. I'm trying really hard not to say, "Shove the 'hater' comments up your ass." I mean, someone should say it. But I'm not gonna do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest problem with SpursTalk... THE single biggest problem, even bigger than the attention s... is that anyone who has a negative assessment of a player is a "hater" by that player's krew.

Kyle was the last pick of the first round - 29 teams passed on him, but he's still a first-round pick. That makes for a mixed bag of expectations.

He went to one of the best teams in the league, for the past two decades or so, that is in the mix for a le almost every year. That also makes for expectation problems for a #30 draft pick, because players on this roster have to be better than average.

Kyle has some of the ball handling skills of a PG, but not enough to be a real PG. He has some of the physical attributes of a forward, but so far not enough to be a real forward. And yet he has fans who still somehow thing he's a Magic Johnson-esque point-forward.

Kyle earned himself the nickname "Slo-Mo" in college, for a reason, and it followed him to the pros for a reason. Yet a lot of the same people who talk about "today's NBA" and the need for fast, athletic players to play small ball, turn right around and act like KA's nickname really doesn't mean anything. Or that HIS lack of speed and athleticism somehow doesn't count.

Kyle has played pretty well, considering all that. But when people look at his performance in the context of winning another Championship, they're going to see some of the holes in his game. That doesn't make them "haters". It makes them Spurs fans. I'm trying really hard not to say, "Shove the 'hater' comments up your ass." I mean, someone should say it. But I'm not gonna do it.
    Well it's fine if you are unconvinced or even if you dont like his game like Nono, but there is a breed of haters beyond your breed, you know the breed.

Also, you must know, there is no perfect player, even stars have imperfections. Look at Danny Green. Roleplayers get crucified specially when they are young around here and brought along in their own time. And there are plenty of athletes who just can't play ball. Kyle was 22 this season, still very young, could have been a college student, he consistently wins wherever Spurs send him and he played over 1200 minutes for a 67 win team, averaging about 20 minutes per game from January on, that includes the tougher part of the season and that was without shooting the 3 that much. If you don't see the positives you will be bitter all the time like all Danny haters who refuse to see his value bc he ain't dunking.

As I said you may not like him and that's fine but there are those who refuse to see anything positive in his game. If he couldn't play ball he would have been waived or his option not picked up, it's that simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said you may not like him and that's fine but there are those who refuse to see anything positive in his game.

You've accused Nono of being a KA hater more than a few times. I've said this before, I'll say it again. Even when I don't agree with Nono, I never doubt that he's damned knowledgeable, nor that he knows more about basketball than I do. For him to just blindly hate a player would mean he would have to just ignore his knowledge of the game, in favor of... what? Just ragging on a guy who's a member of the team he likes? I guarantee you, he's not someone who would do that. When I disagree with him, I always take a bit to re-consider my own position. There have been other people you've called "haters" whose opinions were debatable, but reasonable.

You're in a unique position. If Kyle steps his game up (significantly) this year, you get to say "I told you so" and rub a lot of people's noses in it - because you're all-in for the guy, and everyone knows it. We can talk until we're blue in the face, but none of it means anything until the season starts. I'll be the first to congratulate you. But I can give you fair warning. Nobody is going to let you see a mediocre performance by Kyle and interpret as an outstanding performance by parsing the stats. The way this roster is shaping up, it looks like the Spurs are really going to need him to take the next step. The results are going to speak a lot louder than any stats this time.

Personally, I think the need is greater than what Kyle is capable of at this point in his career. I would love it if he surprises me, because it will mean the Spurs are winning. We'll see in a few months.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said this before, I'll say it again. Even when I don't agree with Nono, I never doubt that he's damned knowledgeable, nor that he knows more about basketball than I do.
    Little do you know, that this is akin to admitting that you don't know . Not that I didn't already know, from occasionally skimming a few lines of your miserable, insufferable diatribes over the years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've accused Nono of being a KA hater more than a few times. I've said this before, I'll say it again. Even when I don't agree with Nono, I never doubt that he's damned knowledgeable, nor that he knows more about basketball than I do.
    Little do you know, that this is akin to admitting that you don't know . Not that I didn't already know, from occasionally skimming a few lines of your miserable, insufferable diatribes over the years.
    Well, gee, thank guys both, for good or bad

I don't hate Kyle, tbh, nor have given up on him. I do run a schtick with SAGirl, who's a good sport, I gotta admit, and sure, I do have a lot of question marks about him, but that's ok. It's my opinion, everybody is en led to theirs. I don't hate the player though, I don't think that makes me a "hater". I do want him to do good.

I'll be happy for him when he becomes an All-Star and tell everybody here how wrong I was. It's not really a big deal (at least for me) at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And sure, I'll be venting on game threads, and making excuses for Manu... but if you've been around here for the past 10 years, you know the drill and it's a heat of the moment thing... I like to comment about that stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't hate Kyle, tbh, nor have given up on him. I do run a schtick with SAGirl, who's a good sport, I gotta admit, and sure, I do have a lot of question marks about him, but that's ok. It's my opinion, everybody is en led to theirs. I don't hate the player though, I don't think that makes me a "hater". I do want him to do good.

I'll be happy for him when he becomes an All-Star and tell everybody here how wrong I was. It's not really a big deal (at least for me) at all.
    You probably doubt Davis Larry Bird Bertans the same way you doubt Kyle Magic Johnson Anderson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You probably doubt Davis Larry Bird Bertans the same way you doubt Kyle Magic Johnson Anderson
    I have different bars for them this season. I will likely give Bertrans more of a pass for the simple fact that he just got here. Murray, for example, I have no expectations at all, because he's new and very young.

Guys that have been here a little longer, like Kyle and even Simmons, I do expect to see some progress in their games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The nickname slo-mo is a term of endearment. If he wasnt so effective while looking like hes so slow, he probably wouldnt have the nickname.

But yeah he does have an unorthodox game and I hope they find a way to max out his set of skills while making it fit the team. Having said that KA needs to do his part and get a better shot and...oh I dont know...SHOOT IT!!!!

About haters, it gets attention...period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've accused Nono of being a KA hater more than a few times. I've said this before, I'll say it again. Even when I don't agree with Nono, I never doubt that he's damned knowledgeable, nor that he knows more about basketball than I do. For him to just blindly hate a player would mean he would have to just ignore his knowledge of the game, in favor of... what? Just ragging on a guy who's a member of the team he likes? I guarantee you, he's not someone who would do that. When I disagree with him, I always take a bit to re-consider my own position. There have been other people you've called "haters" whose opinions were debatable, but reasonable.

You're in a unique position. If Kyle steps his game up (significantly) this year, you get to say "I told you so" and rub a lot of people's noses in it - because you're all-in for the guy, and everyone knows it. We can talk until we're blue in the face, but none of it means anything until the season starts. I'll be the first to congratulate you. But I can give you fair warning. Nobody is going to let you see a mediocre performance by Kyle and interpret as an outstanding performance by parsing the stats. The way this roster is shaping up, it looks like the Spurs are really going to need him to take the next step. The results are going to speak a lot louder than any stats this time.

Personally, I think the need is greater than what Kyle is capable of at this point in his career. I would love it if he surprises me, because it will mean the Spurs are winning. We'll see in a few months.
    Nono is always trolling Kyle. He's earned his reputation and works hard for it. Lol
    Edit have to say I am not in the I told you so kind of shenanigans that males typically indulge. I couldn't care about that any less excel for a joke here or there. I want Kyle to do well bc the team needs him and I like his game, nit bc I told you so.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 07-18-2016 at 08:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh mama, gsh might be the best troll of the if off season

the biggest problem is that we have a self selected pool of guys who fell strong enough about the team to post, most casuals don't care about Kyle.those that do post here.

Haters are people who about Kyle for no reason.

this is basically a tautology, lol

no, n San Antonio doesn't have greater talent. We have some good players, and a good team approach. By default having an NBA contact makes you a exceptional talent.. Again you have no point here

straw man, mama build me a straw man......he's going to be the third big, the magic Johnson of bench bigs, got it?

straw man, mama. "Today's nba is a joke. Slomo is a joke. He wouldn't name himself that if he wasn't in on the joke. He's he's too slow to guard guards, that's why he's a small and growing pf

it makes them dumb. Boo hoo, not everyone is as good as Kawhi. No one is suggesting Kyle is going to be a top three team talent...But top 7? Sure. You're a hater if you don't acknowledge reality

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    El no no has always been in on the joke. But even if el no no we're legit 100% not trolling(I think he's 70% trolling about Kyle) you still have to ask, who's more important, el no no or Pafto?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly Kyle has one of the most unorthodox games I have ever seen. You wouldn't think he'd do what he does but he does it. He's cerebral and very unselfish. Is there anyone else in the entire league like him no? You would think he would not be able to be putting George Gervin moves out there but he does finger roll, and he scoop shots, puts up floaters that very few can block... Will make lob passes from half court, will get 3-4 steals per game easily, he does a lot of stuff that few do. His 3 I hope is here to stay. It's a sign of how hard he's worked on that shot that it's changed since he was drafted. He's a very intriguing player that will make a highlight play with a pass very likely and outside of Manu, right this second Spurs don't have enough of that.

I think ppl don't realize what the loss of Bobo and Tim mean. Both were terrific big men passers. Even the much maligned D west was a much better passer than I thought. In exchange we got Pau and he's old. Even if all Kyle is doing is shooting his 3 and passing to scorers in their favorite spots, whether cutting, slashing, posting up, high lo, that will be impactful bc Manu and Pau are both old and will be rested. Just keeping it simple, while being able to box out guys and rebound are probably the most significant things he can contribute and the team needs those things. Plus him being aggressive with his shots. He has improved a lot as a shooter and has a very high release. I think he will have a good season. Very positive about it bc it's a gradual evolution. It's not like all of a sudden he's the man and not ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love this!!!! Combine it with a Pippen/MJ in the Klaw and we got ourselves the legend team!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love this!!!! Combine it with a Pippen/MJ in the Klaw and we got ourselves the legend team!
    Obviously we've got the dream team in the making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly Kyle has one of the most unorthodox games I have ever seen. You wouldn't think he'd do what he does but he does it. He's cerebral and very unselfish. Is there anyone else in the entire league like him no? You would think he would not be able to be putting George Gervin moves out there but he does finger roll, and he scoop shots, puts up floaters that very few can block... Will make lob passes from half court, will get 3-4 steals per game easily, he does a lot of stuff that few do. His 3 I hope is here to stay. It's a sign of how hard he's worked on that shot that it's changed since he was drafted. He's a very intriguing player that will make a highlight play with a pass very likely and outside of Manu, right this second Spurs don't have enough of that.

I think ppl don't realize what the loss of Bobo and Tim mean. Both were terrific big men passers. Even the much maligned D west was a much better passer than I thought. In exchange we got Pau and he's old. Even if all Kyle is doing is shooting his 3 and passing to scorers in their favorite spots, whether cutting, slashing, posting up, high lo, that will be impactful bc Manu and Pau are both old and will be rested. Just keeping it simple, while being able to box out guys and rebound are probably the most significant things he can contribute and the team needs those things. Plus him being aggressive with his shots. He has improved a lot as a shooter and has a very high release. I think he will have a good season. Very positive about it bc it's a gradual evolution. It's not like all of a sudden he's the man and not ready.
    I'd like him to be aggressive when given the chance. That's numero 1 in my book. Aggressive doesn't mean chucking up shots, being a ball stopper or racking up silly fouls quickly for reaching, it means, giving 100% on both ends, whether you have the ball or not.

And the last part is not trivial. I don't know what Pop's plan is for him, but it's entirely possible that he won't have the ball in his hands for long periods, and he still need to be able to affect the game. Be it with improved spot up shooting, cutting, moving, setting serious picks, boxing out and rebounding, etc.

It's not just Anderson either, Simmons has to basically do the same thing if he wants to make progress in this team, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    El no no has always been in on the joke. But even if el no no we're legit 100% not trolling(I think he's 70% trolling about Kyle) you still have to ask, who's more important, el no no or Pafto?
    I'm completely unimportant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for a anyone talking about Bertrans vs Kyle remember Bertrans came from pro ball and real minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm completely unimportant.
    But entertaining which is fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like him to be aggressive when given the chance. That's numero 1 in my book. Aggressive doesn't mean chucking up shots, being a ball stopper or racking up silly fouls quickly for reaching, it means, giving 100% on both ends, whether you have the ball or not.

And the last part is not trivial. I don't know what Pop's plan is for him, but it's entirely possible that he won't have the ball in his hands for long periods, and he still need to be able to affect the game. Be it with improved spot up shooting, cutting, moving, setting serious picks, boxing out and rebounding, etc.

It's not just Anderson either, Simmons has to basically do the same thing if he wants to make progress in this team, IMO.
    Not sure what Pop has in mind with the rumors about Pau in the bench. Pop may go mad scientist mode and the system might not look geneous until the end of the season. Both guys should be pushed but it's really on Pop to incorporate what they do and get them the ball in good spots for them. Last season Kyle was in the background. He was active off the ball, he set screens and he kept moving finding open spots, the problem is that he passed up on a lot of shots, that was the most noticeable thing. Him working on his 3 pts shot should help. His game also didn't fit in with Diaw and D west bc he liked the midrange a lot. He's actually a very good midrange shooter and attacks from that area off the dribble as well when the defense plays him too close, but playing with the other two bigs took away his favorite spots. That's actually where West made his money. There wasn't much that could be done to hide the fact that Kyle's favorite shot areas were occupied by someone else. When Boris sat and Kyle played the 4 all of a sudden he was more aggressive. But in reality him expanding his range to the 3 just opens up a whole lot more he can do offensively for the team, providing spacing, and he is not restricted in effectiveness to some spots. He's on his way to becoming a versatile scorer but Rome wasn't built in a day.

It's also obvious that Pop wants him to develop an iso or one on one game which I don't expect will be featured but it's being developed to bail out possessions IMO. Regardless he will need to remain very aggressive looking to score, I agree on that.

There is a whole other aspect he was working on, defensively guarding bigger and stronger guys, protecting the paint, having stamina to play on both ends, bc playing as a big is bruising as guys push you and jostle on both ends. I though one of the games he was gassed, the 76ers game on a B2B they almost lost in the 4th Q. He was matched with Wood and another strong big at all times, both guys bigger and very aggressive. He still had an efficient game but at the end missed all shots he took and ran out of energy defensively too. It might have looked like he wasn't boxing out or boarding but when I paid attention to the fact that offensively he also looked exhausted, I knew it wasn't laziness. He was tired. It's stuff he's not used to and that was probably part of the whole experience IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this characterization is faulty.

Bertans is a lot more athletic than Bird.

I would say that Kyle Anderson is more like Bird in athleticism. KA just can't shoot as well. But if he does, then he's the 2nd coming of Larry Bird. They actually are the same height.

Bertans is more like a Kyle Korver.

Spurs don't have a Magic Johnson type player despite KA ability to dribble.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you were reading Spurstalk at the time, you know that I hated Keith Bogans. Really, really hated him. Not because he was unlikable in some way, but because he couldn't do his job, and he couldn't help the team. During games, there was not a single player on the squad that I cheered louder for when he hit a big basket or made a big play.

I'm sure glad that mother er is gone.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't have a Magic Johnson type player despite KA ability to dribble.

BAM!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I call optimism! One thing Dijon has over Magic: he is quicker and more athletic. If he even approaches Magic's level of court vision/awareness and floor generalship, he and Kawhi will be an historic duo.

Thread Information