Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's doing a lot except for scoring. Somehow he has to figure out that part, but his other contributions are positive.
    Yet he was a positive in last night's game even without scoring. He's further along than Joseph was at this point.
    oh boy

this thread continues to deliver

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I missed this gem tbh....
    unbelievable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is a NBA caliber player Kyle has still 5 years to be as good as Curry a mere NBA caliber player

not sure what dude is smoking but I'm sure he's gonna have a Happy 2017

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gSH the entirety of my post was only to the effect that the only thing I thought would be usef was a bit of chucking and playing off the ball a few games to increase confidence in that jumper and break through that hesitation a lot of which is mental. He has lately played but I think a bit of chucking in a game that doesn't matter helps for confidence and rhythm... Spurs have done that for players not getting minutes. (Helps conditioning and stamina too for game readiness, but that's irrelevant to what I meant).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude is a member!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gSH the entirety of my post was only to the effect that the only thing I thought would be usef was a bit of chucking and playing off the ball a few games to increase confidence in that jumper and break through that hesitation a lot of which is mental. He has lately played but I think a bit of chucking in a game that doesn't matter helps for confidence and rhythm... Spurs have done that for players not getting minutes. (Helps conditioning and stamina too for game readiness, but that's irrelevant to what I meant).

Ahhh, it's just disappointing. When you watch Kyle play in SL or in Austin, he looks like he's ready to break out. I've had to remind myself several times that we've seen plenty of other guys who look like stars playing in the D-League, but can't even break into a rotation on any NBA team. I understand the benefits of getting lots of work in Austin vs sitting on the bench in SA. But Kyle is getting to the point where he really has to start making more of a showing here. He's solidly into his third year - long enough to have learned his way around. Numbers don't tell the whole story, but the only part of his game that shows improvement (by the numbers) is rebounding. His 3P% is up, but he's shot so few of them it's hard to make too much of it.

I appreciate the people who are looking for the things he's doing right, and being hopeful. But I don't think the team gets appreciably worse if they sent him to the D-League for a prolonged period, like CoJo. You mentioned confidence, as did I. I'd like to think that's a big part of his problem, and that getting a chance to kick some ass in Austin might give him some. Because if it's not that, it's time to start worrying about his future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude is a member!

You just had to post that in a second place, didn't you?

Did you look at the stats from all the other "Best Young Players", and there's the Spurs entry with 2.5 PPG and 2.8 RPG? The truly sad thing is that, at this moment, it's probably true that he's the best young player on the team. Murray doesn't have enough total minutes to be in the discussion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Did you look at the stats from all the other "Best Young Players", and there's the Spurs entry with 2.5 PPG and 2.8 RPG? The truly sad thing is that, at this moment, it's probably true that he's the best young player on the team. Murray doesn't have enough total minutes to be in the discussion.

I pray for the team's sake that Kyle either takes "the leap" or Murray or Bertans supplant him as the best sub-25 on the team.

Fortunately for Spurs' future Kawhi isn't exactly old

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Best Young Players was actually kind of interesting, running the gamut from Giannis and Anthony Davis to...Kyle. Spurs cupboard isn't bare; it has some quan y, just not much quality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahhh, it's just disappointing. When you watch Kyle play in SL or in Austin, he looks like he's ready to break out. I've had to remind myself several times that we've seen plenty of other guys who look like stars playing in the D-League, but can't even break into a rotation on any NBA team. I understand the benefits of getting lots of work in Austin vs sitting on the bench in SA. But Kyle is getting to the point where he really has to start making more of a showing here. He's solidly into his third year - long enough to have learned his way around. Numbers don't tell the whole story, but the only part of his game that shows improvement (by the numbers) is rebounding. His 3P% is up, but he's shot so few of them it's hard to make too much of it.

I appreciate the people who are looking for the things he's doing right, and being hopeful. But I don't think the team gets appreciably worse if they sent him to the D-League for a prolonged period, like CoJo. You mentioned confidence, as did I. I'd like to think that's a big part of his problem, and that getting a chance to kick some ass in Austin might give him some. Because if it's not that, it's time to start worrying about his future.
    Well once he dominated that level compe ion the only thing it can help with is conditioning, stamina, rhythm. In his case, shooting. As his jumper is better it's not a matter of being unable to shoot but passing up shots. At least it was very very early in the season. I think it would help. The rest of what he does there doesn't matter, posting up or not, etc since Spurs don't use that, but a bit of chucking helps someone see the ball go in and get confidence shooting...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Send him to Finland please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I missed this gem tbh....
    no, your right on time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gonna have to watch him play again tonight

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I've been saying, he just needs a change of scenery, tbh..while the Spurs are arguably the best team in the league at developing players, I don't think he'll ever develop here with so many other mouths to feed..

He needs to go to the Kings or Wizards or some other team that doesn't have any bench talent..

His defense is already very solid, but his offensive game is painful to watch..he was never going to thrive as a conventional talent, his potential was always going to be reliant on becoming a mismatch, which is a difficult type of game to develop in the NBA(especially on a contender)..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gonna have to watch him play again tonight
    Awesome...if only because you dont want him to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I've been saying, he just needs a change of scenery, tbh..while the Spurs are arguably the best team in the league at developing players, I don't think he'll ever develop here with so many other mouths to feed..

He needs to go to the Kings or Wizards or some other team that doesn't have any bench talent..

His defense is already very solid, but his offensive game is painful to watch..he was never going to thrive as a conventional talent, his potential was always going to be reliant on becoming a mismatch, which is a difficult type of game to develop in the NBA(especially on a contender)..
    I think a trade would be beneficial for him too. When you first shared that take I agreed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he has much value in a trade, which is not to say he's a bad player. I just think the jury is still out. His big issue coming in to the league was his defense (along with slowness), while he wasn't a bad shooter or scorer. He has actually fixed the primary problem - which he gets no credit for here - at the expense of the scoring. I wouldn't be surprised to see that aspect start coming around. Will it? Maybe. But at the moment he can eat minutes, which is actually important.

The problem with this board are short-sighted fans who don't even see the recent past much less are able to project beyon the last game played. If the Spurs front office was plagued with the same thinking Kawhi would still be a defense-only energy guy.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he has much value in a trade, which is not to say he's a bad player. I just think the jury is still out. His big issue coming in to the league was his defense (along with slowness), while he wasn't a bad shooter or scorer. He has actually fixed the primary problem - which he gets no credit for here - at the expense of the scoring. I wouldn't be surprised to see that aspect start coming around. Will it? Maybe. But at the moment he can eat minutes, which is actually important.

The problem with this board are short-sighted fans who don't even see the recent past much less are able to project beyon the last game played. If the Spurs front office was plagued with the same thinking Kawhi would still be a defense-only energy guy.
    He has been vs all contenders. The thing about playing a contender is that they will take advantage off a pick n roll switch and attack lateral deficient players. So he has ZERO ing offensive impact. He is actually a negative impact player on offense. And then, he has length to play defense outside of one on one. So what do smart teams do, attack his ass one on one since he has ZERO ing lateral movement. Outside of the RS, he shouldn't be played. How hard is it for ing people to ing understand.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also like simmons because he can play one on one. One pick and he gets lost, but pop imposes switches in the playoffs. So simmons' defensive liabilities is not a bad as being garbage man to man defense on the Spurs.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a just a crazy person BillMc? or does it make some sense?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a just a crazy person BillMc? or does it make some sense?
    Not sure what you're referring to. If you mean when you said that Kawhi might be frustrated if there was a talent drain, I was assuring you that RC and co, plus our stability and 60 win seasons, would mean that would likely not be a problem. But nothing crazy about what you (or I) said.

If you're talking about something else it must have flown over my head.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The old metrics vs "eye test" argument. As much hate as Anderson gets and as much patience we have with Simmons, is there really a difference when comparing their raw numbers? If anything, Anderson might be a little more effective.

So why the love affair with Simmons? He's an athlete and that's exciting. If we're honest with ourselves they're comparable. Yet we say Simmons has "potential" when he's years older than Anderson which makes no ing sense.
    I have to admit though last game was painful to watch and Im not making any excuses for Anderson here.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what you're referring to. If you mean when you said that Kawhi might be frustrated if there was a talent drain, I was assuring you that RC and co, plus our stability and 60 win seasons, would mean that would likely not be a problem. But nothing crazy about what you (or I) said.

If you're talking about something else it must have flown over my head.
    No, I was talking about my assessment of Kyle just right now. lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I was talking about my assessment of Kyle just right now. lol
    Kyle has disappointed this year. I have not seen the progression that the SL promised. Pop keeps playing him, though. It's one of three things. Either Pop sees some stuff that others do not. Or he's giving Kyle every last chance to find a role and justify his presence. Or he's just a regular season minutes eater (as you say). You mention contenders but didn't he start in our biggest win of the year against Golden State? I preach patience. We'll know, probably by the RRT, if Kyle will be in the rotation come playoff time. Bertans, too, I hope. Almost certainly one or more of Bertans, Simmons and Anderson will HAVE to eat some non-garbage time minutes in the playoffs. Someone will have to be the 10th man. And who knows if you can trust any of them, all three have disappointed me. Murray, despite his promise, will probably not play an important minute in these playoffs.

I don't have any of the stats you have (I'm too lazy). But the eye test says Kyle's defense has been good. If so, a back of the rotation guy on a rookie contract is acceptable for that value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The old metrics vs "eye test" argument. As much hate as Anderson gets and as much patience we have with Simmons, is there really a difference when comparing their raw numbers? If anything, Anderson might be a little more effective.

So why the love affair with Simmons? He's an athlete and that's exciting. If we're honest with ourselves they're comparable. Yet we say Simmons has "potential" when he's years older than Anderson which makes no ing sense.
    I have to admit though last game was painful to watch and Im not making any excuses for Anderson here.
    Potential is not based on age. I'm not sure why so many people buy into this media centric idea.

Dedmon is 27, and still not near his potential because he has not played a lot of basketball. Your argument, in the case of age, would be that Kyle has more potential because he's younger? That's just laughable.

Simmons had potential to develop into a legitimate NBA slasher, when he first signed up he couldn't dribble past one guy. Now, he has a nasty cross over that works more often than not. He still has dribbling issues, but is capitalizing on his potential and growing into a legitimate NBA backup. He was a non-NBA player when he got signed up with just potential.

They are comparable, just like anyone is comparable, but their path and growth are far from similar. Simmons has grown leaps and bounds over Anderson, who was the legitimate better NBA player when Simmons signed on. People said then, that he was too old to develop, and Kyle had more potential due to age, these were mostly Kyle fans, simply because they don't really know much about basketball tbh. If you don't have much experience and plenty of ability, that's potential. Simmons doesn't have much experience and plenty of ability. Simmons coaches were never anything legitimate.

Anderson went to a legitimate program, and was a first round pick. He has momentum of experience. He also had skills such as rebounding and passing. That wasn't the potential, the potential was to evolve as an athlete and player in the NBA. He hasn't done that. It's okay to point out the facts about Kyle. He isn't playing well, and hasn't developed much. Those are just facts.

Maybe he turns it around and becomes a player? That's be great. The idea though, is that he has shown that his growth is very limited with experience and time, which he has 3 years of both with the best coach and development program in the NBA.

This shows a limit to that once perceived potential, and sets the bar much lower.

Players like dedmon and simmons, and even Murray have shown to grow with their limited experience exposure and make the most of pportunities.

Kyle fans are just making it more complicated than it has to be. He's currently playing bad, and isn't showing much development. Plain and simple, it's okay to point that out.

Thread Information