Weight: 230lbs
    Date of Birth: 09/20/1993
    Prior to NBA: UCLA
    Years Pro: R

DX Profile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprisingly, I couldn't find a draft thread for Anderson. I decided to make one, since it's popular for people to bump these from time to time.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was discussed enough, though usually in a "he'd be great, but he'll definitely be gone by the Spurs pick" way. I don't think any of the think tank regulars are too disappointed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get more and more excited as the night goes on. I am looking forward to seeing him in SL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i thought for sure he was gonna be the suns pick, that turned out to be Bogdan. But i'm happy to see the league copycat draft and stash so hard, that the spurs just took the American layup.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shares my birthday

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just read this from mysanantonio.com:
    Anderson had been generally expected to go in the high teens/low 20s before slipping to the Spurs with the final pick of the first round. Indeed, Anderson had declined to work out for the Spurs because he thought he’d be off the board by the time they picked. Multiple observers have compared him to Boris Diaw, which obviously would suit them just fine. Like Diaw, Anderson has the potential to play multiple positions.

LOL, almost another Deshaun Thomas.... I'm glad he gave the Spurs his number at least....

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson had been generally expected to go in the high teens/low 20s before slipping to the Spurs with the final pick of the first round. Indeed, Anderson had declined to work out for the Spurs because he thought he’d be off the board by the time they picked. Multiple observers have compared him to Boris Diaw, which obviously would suit them just fine. Like Diaw, Anderson has the potential to play multiple positions.

LOL, almost another Deshaun Thomas.... I'm glad he gave the Spurs his number at least....
    Summer League should be fun this time around

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greivis Vasques with a bigger body imho. I'll take it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He might not have worked out for the Spurs but he did interview with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't blame him in that regard. Flying all over the country has to be tiring for players, so you want to reduce your visits to teams that are likely to get you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was discussed enough, though usually in a "he'd be great, but he'll definitely be gone by the Spurs pick" way. I don't think any of the think tank regulars are too disappointed.
    Put me specifically in that camp. I love the versatility and intelligence he brings; thought for sure another team would value his all-around skills above the athleticism concern and take him ahead of the Spurs. Awesome to have this kid on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After Diaw's impact in this year's finals, I thought for sure at least one team would value savy passing over the typical athletic-jock. Oh well, more for us.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can understand the weaknesses, but I think a lot are made worse by the fact that UCLA doesn't train people athletically at the same level as Arizona or equivalent (Adams, Shabazz, Anderson all a bit fat, suggests it's not just lazy players.) I don't think he'll ever be elite athletically, but players don't have to be James White level athletes to be effective. If he gets in better shape he should be able to get to a average defender with his great SF / good PF length.

Like all players projected higher, I don't have a problem with them not meeting with the Spurs. Just following advice from agents on their range, and they only have so many days to see people. Have to be selective over where they go.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Slomo is facing a very positive head on collision with destiny now that Patty is injured and Cojo is the only backup PG on the roster.
    If he shines in summer league, and I fully expect him to, given that he has played PG most of his basketball life, he should solve Pops worries about the position.
    He could easily become the Spurs next facilitator on offense especially after Manu retires. His IQ, not just in basketball is off the charts.
    They say he seems slow, but it really only "looks" that way because of the way he plays, everything seems to go in slow motion, not just for him and his team, but for the other team as well.
    We will see what we will see.
    This is his time, undoubtedly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Slomo is facing a very positive head on collision with destiny now that Patty is injured and Cojo is the only backup PG on the roster.
    If he shines in summer league, and I fully expect him to, given that he has played PG most of his basketball life, he should solve Pops worries about the position.
    He could easily become the Spurs next facilitator on offense especially after Manu retires. His IQ, not just in basketball is off the charts.
    They say he seems slow, but it really only "looks" that way because of the way he plays, everything seems to go in slow motion, not just for him and his team, but for the other team as well.
    We will see what we will see.
    This is his time, undoubtedly.
    Theres a reason this team is linked to players like Bryce Cotton. They don't view Anderson as a PG, and in light of the Patty injury they're looking for someone they'd actually play at the position. Anderson will play a facilitation role akin to Boris Diaw - not Tony Parker.

Besides, I think Anderson largely redshirts next year, regardless of role.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Theres a reason this team is linked to players like Bryce Cotton. They don't view Anderson as a PG, and in light of the Patty injury they're looking for someone they'd actually play at the position. Anderson will play a facilitation role akin to Boris Diaw - not Tony Parker.

Besides, I think Anderson largely redshirts next year, regardless of role.

You have a point.
    But I think his basketball IQ and skill set will give the Pop reason to trust him and thus play him a lot sooner than the norm.
    Just my opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a point.
    But I think his basketball IQ and skill set will give the Pop reason to trust him and thus play him a lot sooner than the norm.
    Just my opinion.
    I'm not doubting his BBIQ or his ability to understand the system. I'm doubting his fit and position. He needs to spend time figuring out where he belongs on the floor in the NBA, and working to adjust his game to that style. That means time in Austin most likely. His shot also probably needs to be reworked to make it faster, and he'll need to gain weight through muscle. All of that takes time of course. Thats why I think he'll pretty much be a Toro for the next season. Doesn't mean he won't make appearances in the bigs from time to time. But it will be the exception not the rule. Besides, we have an insanely deep rotation already. It's not like we REALLY need him to play like some teams. We have the luxury of some time. Might as well take advantage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, personally. I think the Spurs don't know what they view Anderson as, and will probably experiment him in different situations throughout the first half of the season.

Historically (well, in the past 5 years or so.) Spurs never sign an unknown player unless they view him as a legit prospect.

2010, the Spurs already had Parker, Hill, Ginobili, James Anderson, AND Garrett Temple - but signed Gary Neal nonetheless.
    2012, the Spurs brought De Colo over even when they already had Parker, Ginobili, Green, Neal, Mills, and Joseph.
    2013, the Spurs brought Baynes over despite having Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, Blair, and Bonner. , Baynes rarely even played in his first season - so it's not like the Spurs saw him as a necessity.

The few times the Spurs have actually gone for a position of need is through either A: camp invites, or B: D-League call-ups. So when Spurs sign a guy like Bryce this early in the off-season, I doubt it's just because of the position he plays.

Who knows, maybe the Spurs just genuinely like Cotton.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not doubting his BBIQ or his ability to understand the system. I'm doubting his fit and position. He needs to spend time figuring out where he belongs on the floor in the NBA, and working to adjust his game to that style. That means time in Austin most likely. His shot also probably needs to be reworked to make it faster, and he'll need to gain weight through muscle. All of that takes time of course. Thats why I think he'll pretty much be a Toro for the next season. Doesn't mean he won't make appearances in the bigs from time to time. But it will be the exception not the rule. Besides, we have an insanely deep rotation already. It's not like we REALLY need him to play like some teams. We have the luxury of some time. Might as well take advantage.
    I see what you're saying.
    We will just have to wait and see how he does. He is a unique player that is very intriguing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The few times the Spurs have actually gone for a position of need is through either A: camp invites, or B: D-League call-ups. So when Spurs sign a guy like Bryce this early in the off-season, I doubt it's just because of the position he plays.

Who knows, maybe the Spurs just genuinely like Cotton.
    I personally think it's both. They like him, and he also fills a position of need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I personally think it's both. They like him, and he also fills a position of need.
    True. Another factor I just thought about is how when Spurs take flyers on guys like Chris Quinn, Sam Young, or Jeffers - it's because the market isn't offering any better. Now that the Spurs have the whole off-season to find a short-subs ution for Mills, obviously they'd have more attractive choices.

Plus an undrafted guy like Cotton wouldn't about playing time once Mills comes back.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget, Kyle has played SG most of his basketball life, grade school through high through college.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Another factor I just thought about is how when Spurs take flyers on guys like Chris Quinn, Sam Young, or Jeffers - it's because the market isn't offering any better. Now that the Spurs have the whole off-season to find a short-subs ution for Mills, obviously they'd have more attractive choices.

Plus an undrafted guy like Cotton wouldn't about playing time once Mills comes back.
    What gives me the most pause with Cotton is that they had picks 58 and 60 in the draft, and still passed on him. Once he became a FA he could have gone to anybody. It was clearly a risk. If they were sincerely that high on him then (and not simply viewing him as a stop-gap) then why risk his to FA?

Also, I hear what you've said about D-League call ups and the like. But during this part of the season, a partially guaranteed (or non-guaranteed) contract is basically the same thing.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson as a PG is laughable. Positions on offense aren't PG/SG/SF/PF/C, they're shooter/distibutor/screener etc. Obviously a player can play multiple roles. A player's position is largely determined by who they guard on defense. Mills is a PG because he guards PGs; he is definitely not an initiator of the offense or a distributor.

Thread Information