Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2228
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did i say anyone was better than anyone else?

lol doesn't watch game OR read psots

dumbass with the attempted hashtag shtick he just learned
    hahahhah dude, you're so mad you are actually calling names... hysterical. Sorry that Anderson wasnt your "lottery talent" in Summer League. Maybe he can be a Dleague all star

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hahahhah dude, you're so mad you are actually calling names... hysterical. Sorry that Anderson wasnt your "lottery talent" in Summer League. Maybe he can be a Dleague all star
    lol dude, you'll have to link where I called him outright "lottery talent" since you made up a fake quote.

I've already said he's going to be in Austin most of this season.

Watch a game and read some posts next time.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a really good feeling that someone is going to be eating a whole lot of crow sometime this season when it comes to KA.
    It might be me, but I doubt it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a really good feeling that someone is going to be eating a whole lot of crow sometime this season when it comes to KA.
    It might be me, but I doubt it.
    What does that mean? Are you pro or against KA in general? Do you think he gets consistent rotation minutes? Just trying to see what you mean here..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Xmas1997 has said numerous times that he thinks KA is going to be a "special" player.

I think he's where I was at 10 years ago watching Youtube clips on guys like Javtokas, thinking that they might be a really good players for the Spurs. Highlight videos don't really mean . It's what they do in the NBA when they get that chance that really counts or means anything to me.

Kyle is not good on defense IMO, and if he can't at least be passable on that end of the court in the NBA, then I don't see how he can even get any meaningful minutes on the court for the Spurs. He's got a lot of work to do in every facet of his game (apart from passing).

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe this kid is going to be special.
    I think this because of what I've seen, and because of those already in the NBA who profess to know such as Labron James and Kevin Durant to name a couple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does that mean? Are you pro or against KA in general? Do you think he gets consistent rotation minutes? Just trying to see what you mean here..
    He thinks Anderson will play PG and be able to function as our 3rd stringer if needed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this because of what I've seen, and because of those already in the NBA who profess to know such as Labron James and Kevin Durant to name a couple.
    Huh? What did Lebron and Durant say about him? Was it recent?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you mean this year? Or just down the road?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh? What did Lebron and Durant say about him? Was it recent?
    I know both were giving him praise when he was coming out of High School so nothing recent from what I've seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually did go to the SL game last night (just a "Spur' of the moment drive from LA on Saturday).

Great fun and lots of familiar NBA faces in a relaxed setting watching their teams. Anybody who thinks SL ball is unwatchable should have been there -- it's an entertaining game.

Kyle Anderson looks like he'll be a solid pro. Much quicker and better on D than people give him credit for. Can get to the rim -- if you think he only gets to the rim against inferior completion just watch him do it on the varsity over the next ten years or so. Deceptive smoothness always seems underrated and rears its head when no one thinks it can.

Daye has a reputation as nothing but a shooter but he contributed well in this SL despite the fact he was in a shooting slump -- a good sign a when a shooter does that. He is a very good passer (largely uncredited here) and plays pretty good D too.

On the other hand, the guard play was atrocious (not counting KA as a guard for this discussion). The only one with a flicker of potential was Vander Blue, whose plus athleticism was a revelation. Blue outshone the other guards in terms of his defense as well as the spark his energy created.

A particular disappointment was Bryce Cotton, who looks even smaller in person and who lacks the instincts to play the point. He was the proverbial "ball stopper" as he tried over and over (unsuccessfully) to probe the defense, overdribbling and charging head down into the D the entire time. He ended up getting trapped or simply making a routine pass along perimeter that could have been made well before he ran the shot clock down to 5 seconds.

All in all, the Vegas League is a lotta fun. I'd recommend it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that the only Summer League game that you've seen, Russ? If it is, no offense, but you can't really base Summer League play off of that one game as it's probably one of the best SL games ever.

I know both were giving him praise when he was coming out of High School so nothing recent from what I've seen.
    That's what I thought. If those comments were from a couple of years ago, I don't think they're as valid as Xram1997's trying to make them out to be. I mean, if Kevin Durant really thought that highly of KA, you don't think he'd have any say in their draft picks? If he still thought that highly of him, couldn't he have told the team to draft Kyle Anderson with their last pick of the first round? He was still available on the board there, but they passed on him. Maybe it was a team need that they passed on him for a different player, or maybe they just didn't think that highly of him.
    Last edited by Ice009; 07-20-2014 at 09:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that the only Summer League game that you've seen, Russ? If it is, no offense, but you can't really base Summer League play off of that one game as it's probably one of the best SL games ever.
    I saw a bunch of Summer League games over the years at the Pyramid at Long Beach State.

And, yes, this was a lot better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I thought. If those comments were from a couple of years ago, I don't think they're as valid as Xram1997's trying to make them out to be. I mean, if Kevin Durant really thought that highly of KA, you don't think he'd have any say in their draft picks? If he still thought that highly of him, couldn't he have told the team to draft Kyle Anderson with their last pick of the first round? He was still available on the board there, but they passed on him. Maybe it was a team need that they passed on him for a different player, or maybe they just didn't think that highly of him.
    I think it's just more team need for the Thunder. I doubt any decent front office really listens to their players on draft choices unless they are desperate like the Heat were.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt any decent front office really listens to their players on draft choices unless they are desperate like the Heat were.
    Yeah, LeBron really left Shabazz Napier at the lurch in Miami.

What a thankless gig that poor guy has with the Heat -- "So you're the guy LeBron forced on us and now he's gone anyway. Show us what you got. And it better be good."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suggest anyone who is a basketball junkie go to Vegas summer league at least once. You'll strain your neck swiveling it back and forth seeing players, coaches, FO and reporters all over both arenas and in the concourse in between them -- as well as all over town. The games are fun if you know what teams and players are there to do and go by really quickly. And it's Vegas -- a billion degrees during the day so sleep or spend a good chunk of the day at UNLV then do the town at night.

Three And Counting ...
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really liked what I saw out of Cotton. Super fast, can handle the ball ( great cross over ) shoots well, Penetrates. Reminds me of a young Iverson.
    He will fill in nice for Mills on roster. Give him late minutes during blow outs.
    Last edited by SilverSpur; 07-21-2014 at 09:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn there's like 10,000 people in the T&M watching the final. Summer League is drawing better than the Bucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually did go to the SL game last night (just a "Spur' of the moment drive from LA on Saturday)....Daye has a reputation as nothing but a shooter but he contributed well in this SL despite the fact he was in a shooting slump -- a good sign a when a shooter does that. He is a very good passer (largely uncredited here) and plays pretty good D too.
    [ From Bleacher Report: Austin Daye did not have a great Vegas on the surface. As with Vonleh, Daye's 35 percent field-goal rate isn't pretty, even if it led to 16.3 points per game.

Look closely, however, and there's a telltale sign that the 6'11" forward might be turning into a wiry version of Boris Diaw.

San Antonio's dancing bear came up huge as a meaty Swiss Army knife in the Spurs' championship run, contributing 9.2 points, 4.8 boards and, most meaningfully, 3.4 assists per game in the 2014 postseason. His interior passing was emblematic of the team's beautiful ball movement, and it earned him three more years and $22 million.

Remember we mentioned that Daye averaged 3.0 assists per game in summer league play? For context, he played 27.3 minutes per game. In five seasons, he has played 14.6 minutes per game and dealt 0.8 assists, peaking with 1.1 back in 2010-11.

As the offense ran through Daye's distribution, the system stood out as much as the player. San Antonio isn't just picking up bigs who can pass as a luxury; the Spurs are teaching that skill and preaching it as a necessity. He is just the most recent beneficiary of that organizational tutelage. ]

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn there's like 10,000 people in the T&M watching the final. Summer League is drawing better than the Bucks.
    Who made the final? I stopped watching after the Spurs game as I wasn't really interested in the other teams. I still might check it out on NBA TV Live later on.

I actually got a refund of my $4.99 earlier today.

I bought NBA Summer League Live to watch one of the earlier games that I couldn't watch on NBA TV Live broadband and found them unwatchable. The video keep loading and taking 1-2 minutes to reload each time I switched from window mode to full screen mode and I'd also get message of game not available due to technical difficulties, then I'd simply reload the game and it'd work again, but again, it would take too long to load up the game and for the video to start playing. Really weird experience I had with it this year. Did Samsung do it last year too? I didn't watch any Summer League last year.

I last bought Summer League pass 2 years ago and it was much better and worked OK compared to this year's version. I think I've bought it around 3-4 times all up and this year's was by far the worst (for me). The video just didn't work properly for me this time around. I was satisfied with the previous SL Live broadband that I bought in regards to quality, not sure why this one wouldn't work properly for me though.

Props to them for actually giving me a refund though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who made the final? I stopped watching after the Spurs game as I wasn't really interested in the other teams. I still might check it out on NBA TV Live later on.

I actually got a refund of my $4.99 earlier today.

I bought NBA Summer League Live to watch one of the earlier games that I couldn't watch on NBA TV Live broadband and found them unwatchable. The video keep loading and taking 1-2 minutes to reload each time I switched from window mode to full screen mode and I'd also get message of game not available due to technical difficulties, then I'd simply reload the game and it'd work again, but again, it would take too long to load up the game and for the video to start playing. Really weird experience I had with it this year. Did Samsung do it last year too? I didn't watch any Summer League last year.

I last bought Summer League pass 2 years ago and it was much better and worked OK compared to this year's version. I think I've bought it around 3-4 times all up and this year's was by far the worst (for me). The video just didn't work properly for me this time around. I was satisfied with the previous SL Live broadband that I bought in regards to quality, not sure why this one wouldn't work properly for me though.

Props to them for actually giving me a refund though.
    Sacramento and Houston.

Man, the website and app worked better than ever for me this season. Nice that you got a refund.

I'm probably going to Vegas next summer. Been too long.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/...r-league-recap

Kyle Anderson didn't shine. He averaged eight points a game on 40% shooting and, for such a gifted passer, his two assists per game seem disappointing. He averaged over 50% from three but only took seven attempts in six games. Defensively he couldn't keep up with smaller, quicker wings and generally looked mediocre. By the numbers, DeShaun Thomas outplayed him. The assists weren't there but Thomas took more three pointers and hit them consistently and pulled down more boards.
    But Anderson is just 20-years-old and getting used to the speed of the game. He was playing with gunning guards, Austin Daye in volume scorer mode and no real pick-and-roll threat. Thomas' game is built to impress in Summer League (as his performance last summer proved) because rebounding prowess translates through any league and he is a natural scorer. Anderson needs a more formal setting to thrive and that's not how Summer League is played.

Perhaps the one player on the Spurs' roster that was harmed more than Anderson by the style played in Vegas was Jeff Ayres. It's was a bit of a head scratcher to see Ayres on the roster. I can understand the motivation behind it if the intention was to get him more reps with the system but if it was intended as an audition it's hard to see what the point was. A player like Ayres who bases his game on rebounding, hustle and defensive competence is not going to look good playing a fast and loose game in which the perimeter defenders barely make an effort and the offense usually devolves into "if you have it, shoot it."
    Ayres fouled like crazy and part of that seems to be that he's simply foul prone. But he also had to try to protect the rim against dribble drivers that made their way to the paint unimpeded. He ran the floor every time and barely ever got rewarded. He took up space and boxed out so his teammates could get boards. He basically played the right way and that doesn't get you too far in Vegas. Basically, his contributions were almost impossible to notice while his notoriously bad hands (and over-eagerness to dunk balls he had no chance of dunking) were like flashing neon lights spelling "scrub." It almost (almost) makes sense for fans to want him off the team.

Which brings me to Austin Daye. Just like with Ayres, what exactly the Spurs were hoping to learn about Daye by having him play in Summer League is unclear to me. As the tenured veteran and most talented offensive player on the starting lineup, Daye proceeded to gun away even if his shot wasn't falling, averaging 16 points per game but taking 14 shots to get there. If it weren't for assiduous trips to the line -- which are not something he should count on getting in the league -- Daye would have struggled to crack double digit scoring with those terrible percentages he had. The only takeaway here is that Daye is never going to be a dependable go-to scoring option. But didn't we know that already?

Both Ayres and Daye will probably be on the roster opening day and they should be. We are talking about the team's 11th and 12th player and they are decent enough to occupy those roles. They are familiar with the system and have a defined set of skills the coaching staff knows about. The temptation to extrapolate their bad performances from the past two weeks into an indictment of them as players is what Summer League does to the brain. But I want to believe the Spurs don't make their decisions like that.

The one player for whom Summer League was really huge in terms of a NBA future was Bryce Cotton. His teammates were already under contract or headed back to Europe, for the most part. But Cotton secured an invite to training camp before SL even started. With Mills out for a few months, there is a place for a shooting point guard in the rotation and Cotton came out of college with a stellar reputation as a gunner.

What he showed in Vegas was a more evolved driving game than advertised despite being generously listed at six feet and decent playmaking instincts. The three ball just wasn't there but hopefully it returns for training camp. His play in Vegas was never going to secure him a spot on the final roster but it might have severely decreased his chances had he played poorly. Fortunately, he didn't disappoint and will get a fair shot in a couple of months.
    Last edited by FireMicoHalili; 07-22-2014 at 04:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ that J Gomez guy needs to get a life... He's writing about the Spurs every day but he really has nothing to say ...

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ that J Gomez guy needs to get a life... He's writing about the Spurs every day but he really has nothing to say ...
    writing about the Spurs and getting paid for it as opposed to sitting on my ass and ting on other people's takes on an Internet forum, I'd say Gomez has a good thing going

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn he's getting paid for it, thought it was strictly a fan site, makes it even worse ...

Thread Information