Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand that the Gasol signing was a longshot, but I still feel we could take advantage of the free agents left to upgrade our roster. That is a MUST if this team has any desire to repeat. I think we were clearly head and shoulders above the league last year, but to me that was the case every year we won the le. When you defend a le, teams upgrade their roster with the intent to beat you. They play you harder, and generally prepare harder for what you throw at them BOTH in the regular season and in the playoffs. I think that is why people reluctantly do not give the Spurs dynasty status, because if winning a le is difficult, defending it is even more difficult. I for one would love to repeat just this once.

As far as the remaining free agents go, I say adding a guy like Shawn Marion or Ray Allen will diversify our offense just enough to give us more options than what people were used to last year. Nobody is trying to win Lebron or Carmello or K Love, but I do feel that we need to replace our bench-end guys like Ayers with players we can actually use and count on in the post season. They may be subtle signings, but I think they are necessary in the grand scheme of things if not for our roster then to ensure teams like okc or dallas don't get them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't need any more firepower. They just need to play as a team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't need any more firepower. They just need to play as a team.

This didn't work in 2000, 2004, 2006, or 2008.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also didn't have the best passing team in basketball that had made it to the WCF three straight years, and Finals two straight years.

Championships aren't guaranteed for anybody. Miami was a perfect example of that. The Spurs have just as good a chance as they have ever had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do not need more firepower, they just have to stay healthy while the improvement of younger players (incl. corporate knowledge) balances out the continued ageing of the Big Three ... but HEALTH is the primary thing.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its simple, just no major injuries come 2015 playoffs and no significant declines from Timmy and Manu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also didn't have the best passing team in basketball that had made it to the WCF three straight years, and Finals two straight years.

Championships aren't guaranteed for anybody. Miami was a perfect example of that. The Spurs have just as good a chance as they have ever had.
    This.

Unless one of the Old 3 (respect, not denigration) shows their age and has their game fall off a cliff, or we have lots of injuries, it'll all come down to ball movement, chemistry, toughness in the clutch, and a few lucky bounces (which every champion benefits from).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The argument could be made that, save for some unlucky bounces in the 2013 Finals, this question would already have been addressed this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to sign good free agents when your roster is pretty much complete at all positions. Where is a new young player going to find minutes?

The improvement will come from within. Keep playing solid defense, then get more out of Splitter, Leonard, Green and Belinelli.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miami certainly didn't improve, I doubt they get to the finals this season. OKC has lost Thabo, not sure who's gonna defend Parker this time. The Mavs have improved and so did Chicago, time will tell if bringing everyone back was enough.

The Spurs reportedly wanted to sign Gasol, but there were several problems. Re-signing Diaw was more important then adding Gasol, so the Spurs could offer the MLE. Then, Gasol can't start for the Spurs. And there is not much play-time between Duncan, Diaw and Splitter plus some small ball.

Some big name free agents are small forwards (Paul Pierce, Marion) but are used to start, and the Spurs have Kawhi.

I think Belli will play better in his second season, time will tell if that's enough to finally repeat. Over the time Duncan and Pop have shut up the critics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to sign good free agents when your roster is pretty much complete at all positions. Where is a new young player going to find minutes?

The improvement will come from within. Keep playing solid defense, then get more out of Splitter, Leonard, Green and Belinelli.
    Agreed. The team is basically set, and this team never makes bold trades to go after stars, about the only option we'd have since there's no one left out there for the MLE who would really move the needle. Marion is an interesting idea though.

But in the end, it comes down to praying that Timmy remains healthy despite his advanced age. And Manu, to a lesser extent (he's not as key any more). Health is always crucial; imagine this year's series against OKC if Ibaka hadn't missed the first two games, or last year if Westbrook had been playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its simple, just no major injuries come 2015 playoffs and no significant declines from Timmy and Manu
    you basically said everything there is to say about the 14/15 Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm more and more convinced we should go after Marion. We have every position covered EXCEPT backup SF. Sure Manu and Diaw can cover up that hole, but Marion would be a vastly superior option. He played with a motion offense in Phoenix (and has familiarity with Diaw being a former teammate) and learned to D it up in Dallas. What little Marion can contribute far exceeds what Ayers brings to the table.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the drive/motivation next year won't be nearly what it was this year from 6. Those guys looked superhumanly focused at times...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you op, this is why I wanted Spurs to bring Paul Pierce, IMO it would have been perfect match and fantastic addition... I also feel Ray Allen would be excellent signing and nice consolation prize for not getting Pierce, but it seems both sides aren't interested...

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. The team is basically set, and this team never makes bold trades to go after stars, about the only option we'd have since there's no one left out there for the MLE who would really move the needle. Marion is an interesting idea though.

But in the end, it comes down to praying that Timmy remains healthy despite his advanced age. And Manu, to a lesser extent (he's not as key any more). Health is always crucial; imagine this year's series against OKC if Ibaka hadn't missed the first two games, or last year if Westbrook had been playing.
    1. Stretch 4 really lessens the impact of Ibaka. The Spurs figured that out this year.
    2. Russell Westbrook was healthy this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They just need to stay healthy and they will be in prime position to repeat. They are returning EVERYBODY! Not too mention Kawhi will be a year older and more confidant.

You can not compare 2015 to the past. Duncan missed the post season in 2000, Spurs were a different team in 2004 than they were in 2003 (no SJax for example), and Duncan had the nagging PF injury in 2006.

This is the most confidant I have been that the Spurs would repeat since 2000.

If they are healthy coming into the post season the Spurs are the odds on favorites to win it all again IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only team that worries me a bit is Dallas this year, every other team seems to have either not improved much or have gotten worse. Most likely if Spurs meet the mavs in the playoffs that's going to be a of a series.

Then again we got a full season ahead of us so anything can change, but that's just how I currently see it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only team that worries me a bit is Dallas this year, every other team seems to have either not improved much or have gotten worse. Most likely if Spurs meet the mavs in the playoffs that's going to be a of a series.

Then again we got a full season ahead of us so anything can change, but that's just how I currently see it.
    Dallas lost Blair, Calderon, and Carter. Players that played really well against the Spurs. They have question marks : Tyson staying healthy, Lewis needs knee surgery, Richard Jefferson isn't an upgrade. Parsons is a really good signing though. Is Mo Wlliams, and Nelson going to sign with them? Spurs have the better front court, perimeter players, bench, and coach. Dallas won't catch the Spurs off guard again. Round 1 was a fluke.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should always try to get better. They could have always upgraded Bonner. I re watched the Thunder games and his 3's were pretty terrible. He definitely helped in throwing Ibaka into disarray but Bonner's shots were kind of ugly. The pressure was definitely getting to him. Having someone who can draw Ibaka away from the paint AND make open 3's in the playoffs would have definitely been an upgrade. Too bad McRoberts was grossly overpaid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also spurs biggest off season need is to find a player to take bellinelli out of the rotation, last season we were lucky to escape with it, but we can't count on it every year, teams will take advantage, our roster right now lacking another player to help to rotation...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems the Spurs made legitimate attempts at McRoberts and Pau, so the mindset to tweak and improve was definitely there... I think resigning Boris and Patty were the primary goals, and getting them both was a pretty nice accomplishment. I didn't think Boris would leave because he fits so well in San Antonio, but I was worried some team would throw money at Mills after seeing the way he performed in the playoffs... his injury might've been a double blessing in disguise for the Spurs: first, by keeping teams from making bigger offers, and second, by forcing the Spurs to give Cory Joseph more minutes in the opening months of next season.
    At this point, I guess the best hope for improvement has to come from Kawhi, Splitter, and Green as the Young 3 that complement the Big 3.
    Last edited by Mr Bones; 07-23-2014 at 01:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we play like a team again we have the roster to repeat.

Ray Allen? No way. Get his soft selfish mindset out.
    Paul Pierce? 4 years ago maybe.
    Marion? ehhhh maybe.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're going to repeat next year. Book it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol if you play NBA 2k14 the spurs have plenty of fire power

Thread Information