San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Height: 6-1
    Weight: 163lbs
    Date of Birth: 08/11/1992
    College: Providence
    Years Pro: R

DX Profile
    Heard the Spurs and Mavs were after him for a free agent contract, not just an SL contract.

Kevin McNamara: Word is multiple teams would've drafted Bryce Cotton if agreed to go overseas for a yr. Now will make go of it w Spurs.

Current: PG/SG
    NBA: PG/SG
    Possible: SG
    Rank 26 in NCAA Seniors
    Rank 71 in Top 100 Prospects
    Agent: Harold Woolfalk
    High School: Palo Verde
    Hometown: Tucson, AZ
    Last edited by FireMicoHalili; 07-02-2014 at 10:46 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heard the Spurs and Mavs were after him for a free agent contract, not just an SL contract.
    Hard to imagine considering the number of roster spots we have available.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *sigh* that's true. Joseph probably needs to up his offensive game instead.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cojo has the huge edge on defense and familiarity with the system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Bryce Cotton rumors likely have a grain of truth in them. Since we now know that Patty will be out for 7 months that changes the equation considerably. Considering the cir stance, it seems Patty is more or less a lock to come back now because of this injury (it's really hard to imagine someone throwing hard money at a guy thats a lock to miss half the season). So the Spurs don't need to make a major splash - they just sign a stop-gap player to fill in through January. However, hopefully that player will also be good enough to replace Corey Joseph next year when hes assumed to walk.

We haven't heard much about free agent PG's talking with the Spurs (although, that doesn't really mean anything in fairness, you know, CIA Pop). My thought would be that the Spurs are going to give Marcus Denmon the first opportunity. Bryce Cotton might be a Darkhorse alternative. If they both play well in Summer League then we could see them both brought into training camp - winner take all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Livingston is off the board and so far we've got Cotton, Denmon, and....Telfair? Anderson can play PG and I'm excited if he gets third-string duties. Bodes well for everyone lest his mistakes become so glaring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PaulGarciaPS: “@ShamsCharania: Bryce Cotton of Providence has agreed with Spurs on a partially guaranteed two-year deal, league sources tell RealGM.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson won't play PG. Who would he guard? He's going to have to be a distributor out of another position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PaulGarciaPS: “@ShamsCharania: Bryce Cotton of Providence has agreed with Spurs on a partially guaranteed two-year deal, league sources tell RealGM.”
    Basically, he has to be on the roster for the first year, to get the second year guaranteed. He will either be cut by opening season or by the end of the year (before contracts are guaranteed for the year) when Patty is going to return.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson won't play PG. Who would he guard? He's going to have to be a distributor out of another position.
    He could easily play PG, as long as he defends the weakest wing of the opposition. Just because you play PG on offense, doesn't mean its mandatory that you have to guard the PG.

All about match ups.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cotton has summer league; camp invitee, Toros point guard written all over him.

Don't understand why the guys at Project Spurs and media guys who cover the Spurs have been talking about him like he's going to make the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could easily play PG, as long as he defends the weakest wing of the opposition. Just because you play PG on offense, doesn't mean its mandatory that you have to guard the PG.

All about match ups.
    Sure. But you're assuming he could guard wings. I don't think he could guard many at the NBA level. Not without a lot of work. His game is going to need a conversion and some work for him to make it. I'm pretty much mailing him in as a project for at least the first season. Hes going to need that time to figure things out. Probably an Austin-assignee for a fair portion of the season. And frankly, thats fine. We really don't need him since we'll largely be bringing the same team back next year. Let him take a back seat and learn for a while.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure. But you're assuming he could guard wings. I don't think he could guard many at the NBA level. Not without a lot of work. His game is going to need a conversion and some work for him to make it. I'm pretty much mailing him in as a project for at least the first season. Hes going to need that time to figure things out. Probably an Austin-assignee for a fair portion of the season. And frankly, thats fine. We really don't need him since we'll largely be bringing the same team back next year. Let him take a back seat and learn for a while.
    I agree 100%. Anderson is going to have to work hard on defensive technique and proper rotations. Only after he makes significant strides in those areas will he get any meaningful minutes w/ the Spurs. He will hopefully be the Toros MVP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

All about match ups.
    As Seventyniner said, PG isn't really an offensive position. Anderson can't guard points, so he doesn't factor into the PG depth chart at all. Whoever comes in after Parker and Jospeh needs to be a small, quick guy, whether they handle the ball or not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Seventyniner said, PG isn't really an offensive position. Anderson can't guard points, so he doesn't factor into the PG depth chart at all. Whoever comes in after Parker and Jospeh needs to be a small, quick guy, whether they handle the ball or not.
    Sure he can factor into the "point guard" depth chart. Maybe not literally (via ESPN depth chart, ect) but figuratively. I agree that the point guard isn't a real offensive position but the general belief is what I'm referring to (creator of offensive from the perimeter) -- point guards or creators, whatever you want to call it. If Anderson develops and lives up to expectations, he can easily be the "point guard" or creator in an offense from the perimeter on the Spurs in different line-ups. For example, a Splitter - Diaw- Leonard- Green- Anderson or Splitter- Duncan -Green - Anderson - Mills with Green defending the point guard in the first line up given; Mills defending the point guard in the 2nd line up.

This hypothetical and premise is based on if Anderson earns playing time this year or cracks the rotation, which is less likely due to the depth-- unless Spurs get hit with a lot of injuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is quite confusing. Are people talking about Bryce or Kyle Anderson? It sounds like a lot of posts are in the wrong thread.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is quite confusing. Are people talking about Bryce or Kyle Anderson? It sounds like a lot of posts are in the wrong thread.
    Cotton won't be on the team, so we were talking hypotheticals about the 3rd pg spot with Mills on the IR.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Cotton actually has a chance to make the team - or at the very minimum, a player like him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They play different positions and don't affect each other's roster status, I agree.

Thread Information