Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "A Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted from July 31-August 5 shows that 51 percent of Americans think that the unaccompanied minors shouldn’t be deported right away; 38 percent think they should be taken care of until it’s proven safe for them to go back to their home countries, 13 percent believe they should be allowed to stay in the United States, and 32 percent say that the children should be sent home immediately."

So, 70% think they should be deported (at some point)
    ^ that phrase "should be taken care of until it’s proven safe for them to go back to their home countries" is pretty important.

How that supposed to determined/measured?
    Last edited by Th'Pusher; 08-12-2014 at 09:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about a new federal agency dedicated to determining when it's safe for each illegal immigrant to be deported? Does that sound like a good idea?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    http://www.krgv.com/mobile/news/ytur...ployees/?test3

WILLACY COUNTY - One of the largest ranches in South Texas is planning to arm its employees after several encounters with armed smugglers.
    Dr. Frank Yturria, 91, said he has never seen so many smugglers trekking through his spread of land as he has seen this summer.
    The Yturria Ranch spans for thousands of acres from north of Raymondville to Kenedy County. Yturria said he now has to protect his own borders.
    "We've never seen a surge this big of illegal immigrants," Yturria said.
    Yturria Ranch employees gave CHANNEL 5 NEWS a tour of the land and pointed out the damage the illegal immigrants and smugglers leave behind, including broken gates and piles of trash.
    Yturria said the situation is getting worse. He said an armed smuggler threatened one of his employees.
    "Now they're getting very aggressive. Some of them are armed, their guides are armed," Yturria said.
    Yturria said he fears to the safety of his family and employees.
    "They have threatened my employees ... ‘get out of the way, or else,'" Yturria said.
    The third-generation rancher said he has few choices.
    "The only way to stop these people, I guess, is to arm my employees. When they run into a group like that, point their guns at them and (hold them) while we call Border Patrol," he said.
    Yturria said he hopes the message that his ranch is protected will spread so smugglers stay off his land.
    Willacy County Sheriff Larry Spence said smugglers are moving east into his county because of new law enforcement pressure in Hidalgo and Starr counties.
    "Two or three times a week we have bailouts," Spence said.
    "The word is now that they're moving some on weekends, in the daylight, about the time when everybody is at church," Spence said.
    Spence said his department is on guard. Deputies are working overtime and they have increased security measures inside his jail. That's where two illegal immigrants wait without bond, charged with killing an off-duty Border Patrol agent they were trying to rob.
    Yturria fears the smuggling operations through his ranch will also lead to a similar fate.
    "Sooner or later I'm going to kill one of them, or they're going to kill me," he said.
    Yturria said his employees now focus on locking gates, watching fences and protecting the property against armed men walking north

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Yturria spread is enormous. intact from the time of the Spanish grant, more or less. hundreds of thousands of acres.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's pretend-President RickyBobby LYING about the border threat, rousing the TX paranoid rabble with typical Repug/Fox pure bull

We must defend U.S. from 'narco-terrorists'

www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2014/08/14/14050865/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal Court slams Obama's policy of deterrent detention:

In the past, DHS generally did not detain families who arrived in the United States seeking asylum. Most eligible individuals were released if they could show that they were not a flight risk or a danger to the community. However, beginning in the summer of 2014, DHS started detaining families in large numbers as part of an "aggressive deterrence strategy" intended to send a message to other Central Americans that if they sought refuge in the United States, they would be similarly punished. Under this policy, even if families demonstrated that they had a credible fear of persecution and were neither flight risks nor dangerous, DHS refused to consider them for release and kept them locked up.

Sound cruel? It is. It's also unnecessary and illegal.

In its February 20 decision, the district court for the District of Columbia agreed. It ruled that the government cannot continue to lock up these families without determining that these individuals actually pose a danger or flight risk that requires their detention. It made a provisional decision that the case can proceed as a class action and granted a preliminary injunction against the government's policy. This means that DHS must now release families on bond or other conditions unless the family members pose a flight risk or danger.

Importantly, the court saw through the government's argument that detention of the women and children was necessary to prevent a mass influx that would threaten national security, explaining that the "incantation of the magic word ‘national security' without further substantiation is simply not enough to justify significant deprivations of liberty." It explained that "[t]he simple fact that increased immigration takes up government resources cannot necessarily make its deterrence a matter of national security. . . "
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-free...utional-rights

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "Not enough to justify deprivations of liberty"

too op bad liberty is only guaranteed to American citizens through the cons ution. Squatters don't get .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the judicial branch, a co-equal sovereign in our system, disagrees.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "a mass influx that would threaten national security"

"saw through the argument"

national security!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most Americans Say Undo ented Immigrants Should Stay

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/this-ch...+%28TPMNews%29

So the Repug candidates are pandering to the racist, xenophobic tiny minority of Americans in the Repug fringe base.

Repug reachout to Hispanics and blacks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Immigrant detention facilities are violating detainees' civil and cons utional rights and failing to meet basic standards of treatment, according to a scathing report released Thursday by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights. The bipartisan commission, composed of four presidential appointees and four congressional appointees, urged President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to limit immigrant detention as much as possible, particularly for women and children.

"All people, no matter whether they are immigrants or asylum-seekers, deserve to be treated as humans," Chairman Martin R. Castro, a Democrat who was appointed to the commission by Obama, said in a statement.

"Now, more than ever before, we need to treat fairly and humanely those persons, especially women and children, who are seeking sanctuary from violence and instability in their countries," he added.

The report builds on months of backlash to the Obama administration's use of family detention. Opponents have argued for years that immigrant detention, particularly of non-criminals, is overly punitive. Last year, the administration fueled that criticism by deciding to ramp up family detention, and critics are hoping to eventually end the practice altogether.

The USCCR report was approved by a vote of 5-2, with all four Democrats and an Independent voting in favor, and a Republican and an Independent dissenting. (The eighth commissioner recused herself.) Three of the commissioners who voted to approve the findings were appointed by Obama.

The report discusses the commissioners' visits to two detention centers in May: the Port Isabel Detention Center, an adult facility, and Karnes County Residential Center, which holds women and children. In those centers, the commission observed conditions similar to those of prisons, in violation of the civil rights of those inside. Because being in the U.S. without status is a civil, not a criminal, offense, the facilities are supposed to be different from punitive ones, but the report claims that the Department of Homeland Security detains "many undo ented immigrants like their criminal counterparts in violation of a detained immigrant’s Fifth Amendment Rights."

The panel also alleges that the government is not complying with the Flores settlement, a 1997 agreement that children should be detained in the least restrictive setting possible. A judge ruled in July that the government was violating that settlement. DHS is appealing the ruling, but the commission argues that the department should stop its appeal and follow the order by immediately releasing the families.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08820d917bebd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    justice delayed is justice denied:

The U.S. immigration court backlog is at a record of about 470,000 cases — nearly triple the number from a decade ago.

The average case now takes two years to wind through the courts. Some can take five.

The backlog annoys both the political left and right. U.S. Rep. Jack Ratcliffe, R-Heath, called it a “de facto amnesty” at a recent congressional hearing. Immigrants live in the U.S. for years waiting to find out whether they can, well, live in the U.S.
    Democrats complain that the courts need more money to operate smoothly. The nation’s immigration courts have long functioned like an orphaned child of the immigration system. The courts’ budget equals about 2 percent of total federal funding for immigration law enforcement this fiscal year. Underfunding the courts “undermines justice,” said U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Houston, at the same hearing..

Dana Leigh Marks, president of the National Association of Immigration Judges, said in an interview that daily life in the immigration courts is “grim.” In addition to the judge shortage, there aren’t enough clerks and there’s no electronic filing of cases or motions.
    http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2...ration-courts/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the problem?

Americans love to parrot "inalienable, God-given rights", but their God only gives rights to Americans, not to aliens.

"right to a speedy trial" is violated even for Americans. People who can't make bail sit in prison for months or years.

right to a public defender is violated even for Americans.

ACLU is suing New Orleans because Repug budget cutting has, among other state-wide catastrophes, denied public defenders for American citizens.

Thread Information