Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Bring the battlefield to the border”: How America’s immigration wars were poisoned by the military-industrial complex

On display was a post-9/11 world in which the usual rights meant to protect Americans from unreasonable search and seizure and unwanted, as well as unwarranted, interrogation were up for grabs.

While such cons utionally questionable intrusions into people’s privacy have been increasing at border crossings in the post-9/11 years, this type of hardline border policing has also moved inland. In other words, the sort of intrusions that once would have qualified as uncons utional have moved in startling numbers into the interior of the country.

Imagine the once thin borderline of the American past as an ever-thickening band, now extending 100 miles inland around the United States — along the 2,000-mile southern border, the 4,000-mile northern border, and both coasts — and you will be able to visualize how vast the CBP’s jurisdiction has become. This “border” region now covers places where two-thirds of the U.S. population (197.4 million people) live. The ACLU has come to call it a “cons ution-free zone.” The “border” has by now devoured the full states of Maine and Florida and much of Michigan.

In these vast domains, Homeland Security authorities can ins ute roving patrols with broad, extra-cons utional powers backed by national security, immigration enforcement, and drug interdiction mandates. There, the Border Patrol can set up traffic checkpoints and fly surveillance drones overhead with high-powered cameras and radar that can track your movements. Within 25 miles of the international boundary, CBP agents can enter a person’s private property without a warrant. In these areas, the Homeland Security state is anything but abstract. On any given day, it can stand between you and the grocery store.

“Border Patrol checkpoints and roving patrols are the physical world equivalent of the National Security Agency,” says attorney James Lyall of ACLU Arizona puts it. “They involve a massive dragnet and stopping and monitoring of innocent Americans without any su ion of wrongdoing by increasingly abusive and unaccountable federal government agents.”

A Standing Army

The zone first came into existence thanks to a series of laws passed by Congress in the 1940s and 1950s at a time when the Border Patrol was just an afterthought with a miniscule budget and only 1,100 agents. Today, Customs and Border Protection has more than 60,000 employees and is by far the largest federal law enforcement agency in the country. According to author and cons utional attorney John Whitehead, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), created in 2002, is efficiently and ruthlessly building “a standing army on American soil.”

Long ago, President James Madison warned that “a standing military force, with an overgrown Executive, will not long be safe companions to liberty.”

With its 240,000 employees and $61 billion budget, the DHS, Whitehead points out, is militarizing police units, stockpiling ammunition, spying on activists, and building detention centers, among many other things.

CBP is the uniformed and most visible component of this “standing army.” It practically has its own air force and navy, an Office of Air and Marine equipped with 280 sea vessels, 250 aircraft, and 1,200 agents.

On the border, never before have there been so many miles of walls and barriers, or such an array of sophisticated cameras capable of operating at night as well as in the daylight. Motion sensors, radar systems, and cameras mounted on towers, as well as those drones, all feed their information into operational control rooms throughout the borderlands. There, agents can surveil activity over large stretches of territory on sophisticated (and expensive) video walls. This expanding border enforcement regime is now moving into the 100-mile zone.

Such technological capability also involves the warehousing of staggering amounts of personal information in the digital databases that have ushered in the Post-Cons utional Era.

“What does all this mean in terms of the Fourth Amendment?” Van Buren asks. “It’s simple: the technological and human factors that constrained the gathering and processing of data in the past are fast disappearing.”

The border, in the post 9/11 years, has also become a place where military manufacturers, eyeing a market in an “unprecedented boom period,” are repurposing their wartime technologies for the Homeland Security mission.

This “bring the battlefield to the border” posture has created an unprecedented enforcement, incarceration, and expulsion machine aimed at the foreign-born (or often simply foreign-looking). The sweep is reminiscent of the operation that forced Japanese (a majority of them citizens) into internment camps during World War II, but on a scale never before seen in this country. With it, unsurprisingly, has come a wave of complaints about physical and verbal abuse by Homeland Security agents, as well as tales of inadequate food and medical attention to undo ented immigrants in short-term detention.

The result is a permanent, low-intensity state of exception that makes the expanding borderlands a ripe place to experiment with tearing apart the Cons ution, a place where not just undo ented border-crossers, but millions of borderland residents have become the targets of continual surveillance. If you don’t see the Border Patrol’s ever-expanding forces in places like New York City (although CBP agents are certainly present at its airports and seaports), you can see them pulling people over these days in plenty of other spots in that Cons ution-free zone where they hadn’t previously had a presence.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/20/brin...trial_complex/

America is ed and un able.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 07-21-2014 at 04:25 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

that's what it is, a war. this is an illegal invasion..shoot the s.

the language is english, and what good they can do is blast their communist asses

why, so they could spend millions arresting them, feeding and housing them for a few days, then just letting them go? you sicko progressive s will have to remind me again how that is actually doing anything or enforcing jack

the only solution is to split the country among political ideologies as the gap is too large to bridge

let's be honest here. i hate you, and your kind hate me. let's just agree to go our separate ways and live our lives each the way we see fit without any bloodshed.
    address this , try to spin it you in coward.

protip: you can't.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feds reviewing Perry’s border troops dispatch

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said Tuesday that federal officials are reviewing Gov. Rick Perry’s decision to send 1,000 National Guard troops to the border with Mexico.

“The governor feels as though it’s necessary,” Johnson said Tuesday. “We’re reviewing the options just because we want to review all appropriate and lawful options when dealing with this.”

He declined to say whether he thought the deployment was a good idea.

Perry said Monday that the troops are intended to bolster security and fend off the surge of immigrants illegally entering the U.S. Since October, an estimated 60,000 unaccompanied minors mainly from Guatemala, Honduras or El Salvador have crossed the U.S. border.

Perry said his order would “tackle this crisis head-on.” Johnson noted that it isn’t yet clear what the National Guard’s specific function on the border will be.

Earlier this month, the Obama administration rebuffed calls for more troops.

At a Senate hearing July 10, Johnson said deploying the Guard was “hugely expensive.” And when President Barack Obama met with Perry in Dallas, he warned that sending troops to the border would be only a temporary solution.

On Tuesday, Johnson said U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials and immigration personnel will cooperate fully with the Guard.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/polit...s-dispatch.ece

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials and immigration personnel will cooperate fully with the Guard."

??? Hey Johnson, the Guard, if RickyBobby even does this, must cooperate with CBP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah! Let's shoot those kids who have done nothing wrong but cross a border without authorization and are seeking safety! Sounds like it's worth of the death penalty to me!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah! Let's shoot those kids who have done nothing wrong but cross a border without authorization and are seeking safety! Sounds like it's worth of the death penalty to me!
    It is, it's an invasion. Kids can't fend
    for themselves so they'll also be stealing
    taxpayer resources. End game in al of this is America becomes majority be@ner, we lose
    our country, and America crashes. No non white
    coyntry has ever been prosperous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No non white coyntry has ever been prosperous.
    South Korea, Japan and Singapore and Saudi Arabia -- to name just a few (by per capita GDP), in modern times -- send their regards.

There are historical examples, too, profe. Can you name any of them?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    East Aryans in japan are an exception to that rule because they are the superior Asian race..South Korea is prosperous because of their ties with the US we help them out for geopolitical reasons..Saudi Arabia just has oil and not much else, it's like a re winning the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so much for your argument that nonwhite countries are never rich.

lol east aryans

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...al)_per_capita

Singapore, japan, and Israel are literally the only 3 countries in the top 30 who are both non white and not pure oil based economies.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    so much for your argument that nonwhite countries are never rich.

lol east aryans
    You sound like a self hating white liberal or a skin

day of the rope, look it up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what's a skin, profe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You sound like a self hating white liberal or a skin

day of the rope, look it up
    Your new shtick is old already. Yawn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congresswoman Michele Bachmann has offered up a new solution to the humanitarian crisis along the US/ Mexico border, where tens of thousands of unaccompanied illegal immigrant children are currently being detained. And now she’s calling on President Barack Obama to help push forward a bipartisan effort to see her idea become a reality.
    http://kctv7.com/michele-bachmann-su...rant-children/

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    based bachman

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    coherence isn't your strong point for sure

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    just because you don't understand doesn't mean it's incoherent. you're like 40+ you're not supposed to know what "based" means

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had to keep checking to see if this was a Borowitz column... Unreal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephen Colbert Blasts Congress Members for Saying Central America Safe for Kids, but Not for Them

Though Rep. Steve Pearce deemed Honduras and Guatemala sufficiently secure for the child refugees at the U.S. border to be returned home there, he and the rest of the seven member delegation sent to assess the situation in Central America rarely left their hotel during their two-day trip for fear of “dangers.”

At the very worst, as the comedian points out on Tuesday’s “The Colbert Report,” if it’s true what Pearce claims and the children are escaping for “economic reasons,” not “physical dangers,” they’re just running away from “starvation.” And that’s not so bad, right?

http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item...+the+Headlines

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Stephen Colbert Blasts Congress Members for Saying Central America Safe for Kids, but Not for Them

Though Rep. Steve Pearce deemed Honduras and Guatemala sufficiently secure for the child refugees at the U.S. border to be returned home there, he and the rest of the seven member delegation sent to assess the situation in Central America rarely left their hotel during their two-day trip for fear of “dangers.”

At the very worst, as the comedian points out on Tuesday’s “The Colbert Report,” if it’s true what Pearce claims and the children are escaping for “economic reasons,” not “physical dangers,” they’re just running away from “starvation.” And that’s not so bad, right?

http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item...+the+Headlines
    their reasons don't matter. we can't possibly accommodate every single person on the face of this earth living in poverty. there are people on this planet worse off than these latin kids, why do they get to cut in line?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is most alarming, however, is the attempt to erode rights and protections created by intelligent, humane legislation.

The debate is centered on the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act, a law signed by President George W. Bush to provide legal and humanitarian protections to unaccompanied migrant children from countries other than Mexico or Canada. The act passed with bipartisan support, yet the “crisis” is now being cited by some of the same legislators who supported the law as a reason to repeal or change it.

This effort to take away rights that were granted when there was significantly less anti-immigrant fervor isn’t just shortsighted and expensive, it’s un-American. We can debate the wisdom of providing greater protection to Central American children than to Mexican children, but there can be no doubt that giving safe haven to a child facing violence in a country that cannot protect its most vulnerable citizens is what a civilized country, with the resources we possess, should do.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/op...s&emc=rss&_r=1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information