San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blazers should only have MLE, spurs can handle that if they want

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blazers should only have MLE, spurs can handle that if they want
    What would they be planning to offer Monroe and Diaw then? I doubt either would go there for the MLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would they be planning to offer Monroe and Diaw then? I doubt either would go there for the MLE.
    There's no reliable report that they've offered anything. With Monroe, there's the possibility of a sign and trade.

In any event, they don't currently have cap space.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Livingston is the perfect ball handler to create for the bench while Manu rests during the regular season. Which is very important when your backup pg is Patty Mills. He'll be able to guard pgs, sgs, and frail sfs like Durant.

Hope the Livingston interest isn't a sign that Patty is leaving tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the number of PGs they're linked to I do think that Mills is gone...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope the Livingston interest isn't a sign that Patty is leaving tbh.

Highly doubt its a sign.

Spurs are just doing their due diligence by having "appropriate fear" of Mills leaving for more money. They have to have plans b, c, d, ect. in place just in case -- it's the wise thing to do.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Telfair should not ever be in consideration.

If Patty wants to get paid Livingston would be a great fit as long as we can pick up a nice stretch 4 to backup Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://mobile.twitter.com/WojYahooN...87171451891712

Guess he's finally gonna get alittle bit of sleep? lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Livingston if healthy is not coming cheap. Nice player indeed.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Livingston could be the player the Spurs go all out for. He will add a lot to the team this year and if Manu retires after this year his talents will really be needed.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be real nice if Livingston can shoot 3s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Player's agents trying to hype interest in their clients by linking them to the Spurs?

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least Livingston can be a true point guard with great passing skills. Sucks that he can't shoot.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson, Livingston, Diaw.... Point Forwards.
    Livingston is a 6'7" combo guard. but he would allow players like Green and Mills to be on the court as he can definitely run the point. He is a very good defender. Pretty much owned the Heat last year.

Spurs can sign as many players as they want, they just have to be under 15 when TC starts. Livingston is definitely a guy I can see the Spurs signing for the most of the MLE. He would take a lot of load off of Manu as well this season. He can play 3 positions which is something the Spurs really value.

Nets just have the mini MLE to throw at him so the Spurs definitely have the advantage in signing him if they want to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Player's agents trying to hype interest in their clients by linking them to the Spurs?
    Telfair rumor is BS. But I can definitely see the Spurs being interest in Livingston.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beyond Manu, the Spurs really don't have another 1/2 combo guard. Livingston makes a lot of sense and would be a welcomed addition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks that this is the case, cause it means our entire hopes of becoming a better team than 2014 is Anderson being decent and the improvement of Beli in the system, Ayres, Daye, and Baynes*. I really don't think the Spurs have that great a pitch to make for anyone but C level FAs. If we keep Diaw and Mills there are almost no guaranteed minutes for any player that signs.
    Kawhi, Green and Splitter are still developing as players. More so Green and Kawhi, but Splitter has had a noticeable improvement each year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parsons was not eligible for an extension. Houston did not mess up. They made a decision that will cost more in the short term, but results in the greatest probability of keeping him for the long term
    They declined the team option which would have paid him just over 964k and made him a RFA. They will end up losing him or matching a very substantial offer he is bound to get.

Why did they allow this to happen? To free up cap space for Melo and/or Lebron?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They declined the team option which would have paid him just over 964k and made him a RFA. They will end up losing him or matching a very substantial offer he is bound to get.

They did it to make him an RFA. If they allowed him to play out his contract, he would have been unrestricted next summer. This move actually increases the size of his cap hold for this summer and gives them less cap space to chase Melo.

As I said, they pay more in the short term, but increase the likelihood that he stays in the long term.

One other thing, as a restricted FA he can be useful in a two-way sign and trade for a player like Melo. As a 964K player, he is less useful in trade scenarios.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I see this backfiring on them. Parson is going to get an offer upwards to 10-12 mil this offseason especially from Dallas. He was their best players in last year's playoffs series against the Blazer.

They will probably match, but this will basically eat up most of their cap. Melo is staying with the Knicks or going to the Bulls. Lebron is staying in Miami. Rockets are pipe dreaming at this point.

Smart thing would have been for them to option Parson, sign Lowry and then give Parson an extension. Now it just looks like they will just sign Parson to a long-term deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see this backfiring on them. Parson is going to get an offer upwards to 10-12 mil this offseason especially from Dallas. He was their best players in last year's playoffs series against the Blazer.

They will probably match, but this will basically eat up most of their cap. Melo is staying with the Knicks or going to the Bulls. Lebron is staying in Miami. Rockets are pipe dreaming at this point.

Smart thing would have been for them to option Parson, sign Lowry and then give Parson an extension. Now it just looks like they will just sign Parson to a long-term deal.
    Parsons isn't eligible for an extension.

Parsons only eats up their cap space if they sign him before they sign their target free agent. Until then, his cap hold applies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parsons isn't eligible for an extension.

Parsons only eats up their cap space if they sign him before they sign their target free agent. Until then, his cap hold applies.
    What if Dallas makes an offer today (hypothetical). They only have 3 days to match. This might not be enough time as the Melo and Lebron probably aren't going to sign anywhere until the weekend.

They could have picked up the option for Parson for peanuts this year (960k), now his caphold is over 2mil. They could have easily resigned him next year. Team knowing the Rockets predicament can steal Parsons by buying early, while the Rockets play the wait game and lose out on both Parsons and signing another Big FA.

Rockets were stupid for not picking up Parsons imo. He could have been trade bait in a S&T as well.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ed-free-agent/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Much rather resign Bonner than sign Lewis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if Dallas makes an offer today (hypothetical). They only have 3 days to match. This might not be enough time as the Melo and Lebron probably aren't going to sign anywhere until the weekend.

They could have picked up the option for Parson for peanuts this year (960k), now his caphold is over 2mil. They could have easily resigned him next year. Team knowing the Rockets predicament can steal Parsons by buying early, while the Rockets play the wait game and lose out on both Parsons and signing another Big FA.

Rockets were stupid for not picking up Parsons imo. He could have been trade bait in a S&T as well.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ed-free-agent/
    No player can sign until July 11th, so your hypothetical does not apply. They would have from the 11th to the 13th to sign their free agent target, and then could match any offer sheet on the 14th.

He would have been unrestricted next summer, so I disagree that they could have easily resigned him then. It's much more certain that they will retain him as a restricted free agent this summer.

IMO, he's more valuable in a potential S&T as an RFA than as a 964K contract.

We just disagree in general and specific terms about the wisdom of Houston's tactics with Parsons' contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No to Lewis and I'm not sure if Livingston's skillset is a fit here tbh. If Mills leaves, then I'd much rather hand the reigns to CoJo instead of paying Livingston what he'll be asking.

Thread Information