Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    on the good guys side:

change culture of lackadaisical, sloppy, low-cost gun ownership with confiscations/gun-destruction, and severe penalties, including prison, for accidents, crimes, etc committed with good guys' guns.
    Already severe penalties in place for crimes/accidents

Gun owners have an average of 9 or 10 guns. Paying registration fees, annual re-up fees, mandatory liability insurance ON EACH GUN should stimulate extreme caution in operating, securing the guns.
    The average gun owner is already extremely cautious and secures guns, no need for exorbitant fees.

on the bad guys side:

another policy: pay handsome bounties (very attractive to the the poor) to anyone fingering an illegal gun owner.
    And how exactly would they know it was illegal? And even if they do, who will go after and prosecute? Right now 100's of thousands of guns are already in the hands of known prohibited persons and nothing is done.

anybody stopped with gun without permit, le, insurance on his person will have the gun(s) confiscated and destroyed, no appeal.

the person will also be arrested, fined, maybe jailed, and LONG probation, just like DWI arrests.
    Bad guy's can't get CCW's so anyone stopped with a gun on them is already committing a crime and will be arrested and thrown in jail.

It will take time, but eventually the 300M+ guns and the lackadaisical/criminal/fun culture around guns will change, as will the number of guns decrease.
    Nothing you said addresses the criminal problem, which is the only problem. You have not saved any children.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I don't believe there is going to be some sudden surge in open carry.

I am, however, pointing out the logical flaws in said policy.

Over time the probability of an event happening, even improbable ones, approaches 1.

If the open carry policy being pushed by the whackos goes through, that will mean more people running around openly with guns.

The wider the policy, the sooner the event will occur.

QED

In this case, we had a policy in place for exactly a day before the first incident, however benign, does not bode well for the long term soundness of such laws.
    The vast majority of gun owners oppose the whacko open carry folks and realize they are doing much more harm for us than good, I wouldn't be too worried about it being pushed through and having mass amounts of people running around with guns.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Honestly, there are so many guns in the US now that it would be almost impossible to realistically enact any meaningful restrictions, IMO.

Sadly the march of sacrifices on the altar of gun fetishism will continue unabated. However much I might not like that, I can be realistic. The gun lobby is effective, and virulent, whatever one might think of them.
    IMO, the problem isn't with the guns themselves, nor the amount of guns in circulation. Blaming guns is a cop out. Address the issues that actually cause violence (poverty, joblessness, poor education etc) and we'll see improvements.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing you said addresses the criminal problem, which is the only problem. You have not saved any children.
    bull .

non criminals, including kids, injuring/killing themselves and others is a problem.

It may not be a big enough problem for you, but it is for serious, reasonable, civilized people.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    bull .

non criminals, including kids, injuring/killing themselves and others is a problem.

It may not be a big enough problem for you, but it is for serious, reasonable, civilized people.
    It's not bull . Nothing you proposed does anything to help prevent kids from injuring/killing themselves, nothing.

It is a problem for me and I am a serious, reasonable, and civilized person. Had you read my post on this very page instead of constantly shouting repug repug you would have seen that when children come over to my house all guns are locked up in a safe bolted to a concrete floor. No dead kids on my watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A separate safe for bullets?

Hold on home invader....let me open up my second safe so I can get my bullets.

And to all your other points...criminals will simply not comply and the burden is on law abiding citizens.
    Yeah, you're already wasting precious time telling home invader to hold on while you open safe #1.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Yeah, you're already wasting precious time telling home invader to hold on while you open safe #1.
    In a drawer in my nightstand a foot from my bed. Nice try though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a drawer in my nightstand a foot from my bed. Nice try though.
    Right where the kids can get it. Nice.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Right where the kids can get it. Nice.
    Don't be fooled by my avatar, I don't have kids, try and keep up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't be fooled by my avatar, I don't have kids, try and keep up.
    Neat.

If you did, where would the gun be

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Yawn....already covered in this thread. Keep trying.
    I store all of my guns loaded in a safe that is bolted down to concrete and have a loaded gun in a drawer in my nightstand. If I had kids the gun in the nightstand would be moved to the locked safe. When friends bring their kids to my house the gun in the nightstand moves to the locked safe. No dead kids at my house so far. Being responsible goes a long long way, making new laws does little.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    And before the inevitable question from you regarding having to open my safe once I have kids for the home invader............I have a biometric safe that opens is seconds with my fingerprint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And before the inevitable question from you regarding having to open my safe once I have kids for the home invader............I have a biometric safe that opens is seconds with my fingerprint.
    So then what's the big deal with a second safe?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    So then what's the big deal with a second safe?
    It's like a second in your wife, unwanted and unnecessary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That said, I like the idea of training hours but I think it needs to be a monthly requirement as opposed to a hundred hours up front. Perhaps 40 hours before you can own a gun and then 2-5 hours of training each month to keep up your license. Failing to comply is an automatic 90 day probation period where you can get current on your hours. Failing to meet this would be automatic suspension where you must turn in your firearms and appeal the suspension. Possession of a firearm after suspension is an automatic felony.
    Many people would call me a lefty on most issues but I totally disagree with these ideas. The right to bear arms is a guaranteed right by the cons ution. What you're suggesting is reminiscent of literacy requirements to vote. Just like with literacy requirements, you're suggesting a system in which it will be far too easy to deny certain groups their cons utional rights in a discriminatory fashion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like a second in your wife, unwanted and unnecessary.
    Kind of like the 2nd Amendment

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many people would call me a lefty on most issues but I totally disagree with these ideas. The right to bear arms is a guaranteed right by the cons ution. What you're suggesting is reminiscent of literacy requirements to vote. Just like with literacy requirements, you're suggesting a system in which it will be far too easy to deny certain groups their cons utional rights in a discriminatory fashion.
    I believe you need a permit to own a gun. The cons ution is silent as to any kind of permit requirements. If you commit and are convicted of a felony it becomes illegal to own a gun, the cons ution is silent on this as well.

Cons utional rights are broadened and narrowed all the time. We have a cons utional right to bear arms but the cons ution isn't specific on the type of arms we can bear. It is certainly silent on the technological advances guns and firearms have enjoyed since the late 1790s. I think that regulation of arms is a responsibility of both the state and federal governments. My method might not work, I do not pretend to be a gun expert, or an expert on gun safety. I think that there can be reasonable regulation that is ins uted in the interest of public safety.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I believe you need a permit to own a gun. The cons ution is silent as to any kind of permit requirements. If you commit and are convicted of a felony it becomes illegal to own a gun, the cons ution is silent on this as well.

Cons utional rights are broadened and narrowed all the time. We have a cons utional right to bear arms but the cons ution isn't specific on the type of arms we can bear. It is certainly silent on the technological advances guns and firearms have enjoyed since the late 1790s. I think that regulation of arms is a responsibility of both the state and federal governments. My method might not work, I do not pretend to be a gun expert, or an expert on gun safety. I think that there can be reasonable regulation that is ins uted in the interest of public safety.
    There already is reasonable regulation in the interest of public safety. Some choose to ignore it (criminals) others choose not to enforce it (police).

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Kind of like the 2nd Amendment
    I know you've said you have never and will never own a gun for personal protection, thats fine your choice. You do have something at your house for protection though, what was it again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know you've said you have never and will never own a gun for personal protection, thats fine your choice. You do have something at your house for protection though, what was it again?
    Locks

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    If those worked we'd never hear of robberies. You've told me before what you'd use for protection but I've forgotten.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If those worked we'd never hear of robberies. You've told me before what you'd use for protection but I've forgotten.
    So where do you keep your gun for easy access and protection? For your homestead?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    So where do you keep your gun for easy access and protection? For your homestead?
    You'll find that answer on this very page. Scroll up.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Not going so well for the anti-gunners so far in this thread.

So far we've got an OP who created a false thread le and insinuated mass open carry riots, a spam bot doing his spam bot thing, a bamba that wants a separate safe for a gun/magazine/bullet/trigger finger, a cuck who doesn't see the problems with the bamba's ideas, and a manatee who quotes posters without reading the same page he's quoting...as manatees sometimes do.

Step up your games anti-gunners. I'm quickly moving to full blown archer and you are boring me with your non-sense here.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'll find that answer on this very page. Scroll up.
    Nothing on this very page. So yea, it's going well for you. Thanks for the non answer.

Do you remove the gun from easy access every time you step out the door?

Do you know where the majority of guns are stolen from in a household? Where does an intruder look first to find guns to sell?

Thread Information