Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A PG doesn't make crippling decisions down the stretch. CP3 officially removed himself from consideration with that boneheaded three attempt in the backcourt and being anywhere near Russ' elbow. Then he doesn't even get a shot off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should've just held on to the damn ball. That was their game to win. I feel like this series is over. Okc here we come

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should've just held on to the damn ball. That was their game to win. I feel like this series is over. Okc here we come
    More like SA here OKC comes and the Refs! Since the series starts in SA they will come to the Spurs HC and bring some refs with them.

#1 poster - @chazley
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Paul is the best PG in the league by a pretty wide margin. Last year you could make the case Parker was right there with him, but this year not even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Paul is the best PG in the league by a pretty wide margin. Last year you could make the case Parker was right there with him, but this year not even close.
    what the did he do to prove that? throw a bunch of meaningless alley oops in regular season?

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not the first time he lost his cool at the end of the 4th to lose a game (remember the Gary Neal steal as CP3 was trying to avoid a backcourt violation). He is undisciplined, and his high assist rate comes mostly from handing the ball over to someone who's immediately going to chuck a contested shot (and pray it goes in).

The league has access to advanced metrics now, such as % of contested shots. I wonder how many of CP3 assists come from contested shots (meaning there's no real assist, it might as well be an ISO play).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Rose had a stat on Parker a couple of games ago that reported that he was one of 5 guards in the history of the NBA who 1) Had at least 3 rings, 2)had a Finals MVP, 3) shot around 50% for his career, and there was a 4th but I don't remember it right now. I think it was averaging 5 assists or something.

Two of other four to accomplish that were : Magic Johnson and Dwayne Wade. He named the others but I don't remember the names right now.

Parker is consistently under-rated on this board.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playmaking wise yes, he's better than everyone else. But scoring wise guys like Parker, Westbrook, Curry are superior. I still think he's the best PG in the NBA.

Oh and Parker is also not really known as the best closer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and Parker is also not really known as the best closer.
    That's a reputation. CP3 has the reputation of being clutch and that means nothing when the game is actually on the line. That's the whole point of saying that CP3 is overrated and Parker is underrated: reputations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    parker in the last two years clearly, nobody stood out this season, so by default cp3 has that post, in the playoffs so far has to go to Russell, the guy is a beast. If I'm starting a franchise, I'm going with rondo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Parker has outplayed CP3 several times when the teams play. Doesn't mean that CP3 is a bad pg, or that he isn't more valuable to his own team, but they each play within very different systems, imo.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your grey is showing.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got to hand it to CP3 for totally placing blame on himself, not refs. He said he made the worst decisions of his career in last minute of that game. He accepted the blame, 100%.

I respect that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TP's been the best point guard in the game for the last 4 years. Only the global media and a few disgruntled Parker haters on Spurstalk don't know that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TP's been the best point guard in the game for the last 4 years. Only the global media and a few disgruntled Parker haters on Spurstalk don't know that.
    what the have you been watching. He has an argument for maybe the last 2 years.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3 Stats for this year- 19 pts, 10.7 assists

TP- 16.7 pts 5.7 assists

Got to say, the stats point to Paul being better PG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

TP- 16.7 pts 5.7 assists

Stats don't tell the whole story. Pop has had TP play less minutes to keep him fresh for the playoffs and to help him recover from playing basketball all summer. See if Paul played more or less minutes than TP. Also, who took more shots, and what was the shooting percentage? That said, Paul is a great point guard, but I'd rather have TP in a big game.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody can watch all games, so stats is what most people use as measure of who is best at something.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

TP- 16.7 pts 5.7 assists

... per 48 minutes?

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... per 48 minutes?
    That per 48 min stat is bullcrap. Baynes is better than Griffin according to that stat.

If Your PG can not play most of the game, then who cares if he is better than anyone. It's what you do for the whole game that really matters, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Your PG can not play most of the game, then who cares if he is better than anyone. It's what you do for the whole game that really matters, right?
    Keep grasping at straws.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep grasping at straws.

You don't think 10.7 is better than 5.7 assists?

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3 plays 35 mins per game (0.3 assists per min)

TP plays 29 mins ( 0.19 assists per min)

You lose the per 48 min arguement anyway

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3 plays 35 mins per game (0.3 assists per min)

TP plays 29 mins ( 0.19 assists per min)

You lose the per 48 min arguement anyway
    Stats are so overblown. If you want to look purely at averages, Greivis Vazquez was the best PG in the league in 2012-13 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/...3_leaders.html). Paul is clearly one of the top few in the league but his assist numbers are in part a product of playing in a ball dominant role whereas TP plays in a motion offense with a lot of passing / hockey assists.

These stats are also what make people anoint Harden as the best SG in the league even though he's the basketball equivalent of a DH in baseball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't think 10.7 is better than 5.7 assists?
    This completely depends on the system. Watch the games and check how discombobulated the Clippers offense is, and how little CP3 actually sets his teammates up. Stagnant offense + pass by CP3 for an instantly jacked up shot by recipient is a great way to rack up assists, and yet have an offense that still mostly sucks.

Thread Information