Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    You have the right to have your opinion on Football. Ultimately 21 is way too soon to tell just how much he will develop as a passer.

My only issue is when people say he won't last bc dumb s like Vick/RGIII didnt. Or that he can't throw bc a guy like Vince Young couldnt. He's a smarter football player than the formers and has a much better arm than the latter. He has some obstacles to overcome to be successful but learning to avoid contact+having a decent throwing motion aren't part of it.
    It's early, but I'm discussing him as a prospect. We've seen prospects outperform expectations or underperform in all sports. But just as a passer, he's no better than an average prospect

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    hes been the best one so far tbh
    i agree but he has been blitz like twice so far

My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    i agree but he has been blitz like twice so far
    I was on a conference call today with client from Detroit. I asked him if he was ready for the Jags on Friday and he went straight into how the Lions d-line is way overrated and that they cant get push with a basic front four rush. He said even Detroit fans overrate their defense and the secondary is prime for exploitation. I was like damn! I guess Bortles gonna have to wait till week four to be tested then.

My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    I was on a conference call today with client from Detroit. I asked him if he was ready for the Jags on Friday and he went straight into how the Lions d-line is way overrated and that they cant get push with a basic front four rush. He said even Detroit fans overrate their defense and the secondary is prime for exploitation. I was like damn! I guess Bortles gonna have to wait till week four to be tested then.
    i doubt bortles will play until halfway through the season, we just lost our starting RT for a month and our center positiong is not settled yet. henne is gonna get abused

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...164847540.html

Let’s start our look at some notable rookie quarterbacks with Cleveland’s Johnny Manziel because he’ll be a seminal player in many minds. That’s because he’s a classic example for the question: What is the quarterback position in the NFL right now?

When quarterbacks who played in spread offenses in college like Manziel did at Texas A&M, they have almost no understanding of pocket play – three-step drops, five- and seven-step drops, the play-action passing game. And in the NFL the routes time up with the drops. Spread quarterbacks have no grasp of that, and it’s not their fault. They weren't asked to do that in college. And the more a spread quarterback was a runner in college, the more the issue is exacerbated because they tend to rely on their legs. Those quarterbacks usually perceive pressure and react to jersey color more than pocket quarterbacks.

You can do some things to take advantage of a quarterback’s mobility, but the question in the NFL will be, what’s an acceptable level of pocket play in order to play quarterback at a reasonably high level?

At this point Manziel is solely a movement player, with read-option concepts and play-action bootlegs. There is no sense of timing and rhythm to Manziel’s play in the pocket; it’s random and arbitrary. There was a great example of how this affects the Browns offense in the fourth preseason game against Chicago.

On the second play of the third quarter, the Browns ran a deep corner/crossing route combination against a Bears defense with eight in the box and a single safety deep. And that’s "Route Concepts 101," a very basic concept to beat that defense. Because this was the second play after halftime, it’s a good bet they talked about it at halftime, anticipated the coverage and called the play to beat it. The crossing route was wide open with Manziel in a clean pocket, but he stayed on the deep route too long then broke down in the pocket. He ran around and made a late and inaccurate check down to the fullback for an incompletion.

Now how do you feel if you’re Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan? You called the right play against the coverage, it just didn’t get executed. As a coach, how do you structure an offense when you can’t anticipate free-wheeling and random plays? How do you game plan? How do you practice? You’re a coach working 16, 17 hours a day studying tendencies and putting a game plan together. What level of confidence can you have that the game plan will be executed?

Manziel has good speed, but not great speed like Michael Vick. He has good short-area quickness and maneuverability. And he has better than average arm strength, but not a really big arm. And now we’re back to the subtleties of playing quarterback. There are mechanics and balance and footwork. He doesn’t have any of those when he plays. And it’s not his fault, or unexpected, because it’s all new to him. But he doesn’t play in the confines of the offensive structure at this point. Will that change? Nobody knows that. It’s too soon. But he’s got a really long way to go.

Jacksonville’s Blake Bortles

Bortles is a big physical kid and I thought in the preseason he did everything he was asked. He understood everything the Jaguars wanted him to do.
    He’s a little bit of a quirky thrower but he does have good arm strength. He’s not in the Joe Flacco/Matthew Stafford category, but he can throw it. You saw that on a 57-yard touchdown to Marqise Lee last week.

He was actually way late on that throw – he should have hit Lee much sooner than he did. But he waited and then he threw downfield flat footed with people around him. And he got it there.

NFL people will say that a quarterback needs to make throws when his lower body is not involved because of people around him in the pocket. And that throw by Bortles to Lee was all from the waist up.

Through the preseason, Bortles showed mental ability to recognize coverage before the snap, audible and make the right throw to the right receiver. He worked effectively out of a muddied pocket, standing tall and strong. He showed the ability to avoid the rush and re-set with both movement and strength. Now, I have no problem with what the Jaguars are doing, starting Chad Henne to start the season. Theoretically no rookie quarterback is ready to play week 1 in the NFL. But there’s nothing not to like based on what Bortles did in the preseason.

Minnesota’s Teddy Bridgewater

Bridgewater is pretty refined and advanced in the subtleties of the position. He’s got a good sense of progression reading because he played a pro-style offense at Louisville. So Bridgewater gets all that.

I don’t know if the physical gifts are enough to be more than a mid-level quarterback. The ball doesn’t come out with a lot of juice, especially on intermediate routes, which are a staple of Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner’s offense. I’m going to be interested to see the kinds of throws he can make when his lower body can’t get into it. He flicks the ball more than he drives it. But he has the instincts of a pocket quarterback.

To me, Bridgewater is along the lines of an Andy Dalton. Does a franchise need a superstar QB to win a Super Bowl? That’s the question in that era. I don’t see Bridgewater as one of those kinds of guys, though that doesn’t mean he can’t be a quality starter.

Oakland’s Derek Carr

Carr had choppy footwork at the start of the preseason (he came from a spread offense at Fresno State) but I think it got better. That leads me to believe he’s a player who, just looking at the tape and not being there, looks he is being coached well and is receptive to it. And he’s way better with people around him in the pocket than I thought he’d be. That was the knock on him coming out of college.

He showed that on a 27-yard pass to Mychal Rivera in last week’s game against Seattle. It was designed to be a three-step drop timing throw, but the defense took that away. So Carr navigated the pocket, kept a downfield focus and had a good aggressive throw with good ball location. That’s NFL quarterbacking.

Carr has a snap, compact delivery on short to intermediate throws, and has excellent velocity. He has very quick feet on rollouts and an aggressive mentality. And on a 36-yard touchdown to Denarius Moore against Seattle he also showed understanding of coverages, then patience and pose. He knew what he had pre-snap and delivered the ball with touch and accuracy.

Tennessee’s Zach Mettenberger
    I liked Mettenberger coming out of a college, and he looked good this preseason (he led the NFL with 659 passing yards).

Mettenberger will always throw balls that should be thrown. If you know the route combinations against certain coverages, and if you know where the ball should go in those situations, then you know Mettenberger throws the ball where the ball should go. It comes out in the proper timing and rhythm of the play. You rarely watch Mettenberger and say, “The ball should have come out there and didn’t.”

And he’s good against pressure in the pocket, feeling it but not seeing it, so he’ll wait and make throws that runners wouldn’t. And he has shown great anticipation. In the second preseason game he threw a 64-yard touchdown to Justin Hunter, and if you look at the moment he started to pull the trigger you’d say, “Who’s he throwing to?” But he knew where to go with the ball. He was decisive with his reads and throws, which he showed all preseason. That’s what it takes to play in this league. At some point in the NFL you’re going to have to make throws.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 09-01-2014 at 08:11 PM.

My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...164847540.html

Let’s start our look at some notable rookie quarterbacks with Cleveland’s Johnny Manziel because he’ll be a seminal player in many minds. That’s because he’s a classic example for the question: What is the quarterback position in the NFL right now?

When quarterbacks who played in spread offenses in college like Manziel did at Texas A&M, they have almost no understanding of pocket play – three-step drops, five- and seven-step drops, the play-action passing game. And in the NFL the routes time up with the drops. Spread quarterbacks have no grasp of that, and it’s not their fault. They weren't asked to do that in college. And the more a spread quarterback was a runner in college, the more the issue is exacerbated because they tend to rely on their legs. Those quarterbacks usually perceive pressure and react to jersey color more than pocket quarterbacks.

You can do some things to take advantage of a quarterback’s mobility, but the question in the NFL will be, what’s an acceptable level of pocket play in order to play quarterback at a reasonably high level?

At this point Manziel is solely a movement player, with read-option concepts and play-action bootlegs. There is no sense of timing and rhythm to Manziel’s play in the pocket; it’s random and arbitrary. There was a great example of how this affects the Browns offense in the fourth preseason game against Chicago.

On the second play of the third quarter, the Browns ran a deep corner/crossing route combination against a Bears defense with eight in the box and a single safety deep. And that’s "Route Concepts 101," a very basic concept to beat that defense. Because this was the second play after halftime, it’s a good bet they talked about it at halftime, anticipated the coverage and called the play to beat it. The crossing route was wide open with Manziel in a clean pocket, but he stayed on the deep route too long then broke down in the pocket. He ran around and made a late and inaccurate check down to the fullback for an incompletion.

Now how do you feel if you’re Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan? You called the right play against the coverage, it just didn’t get executed. As a coach, how do you structure an offense when you can’t anticipate free-wheeling and random plays? How do you game plan? How do you practice? You’re a coach working 16, 17 hours a day studying tendencies and putting a game plan together. What level of confidence can you have that the game plan will be executed?

Manziel has good speed, but not great speed like Michael Vick. He has good short-area quickness and maneuverability. And he has better than average arm strength, but not a really big arm. And now we’re back to the subtleties of playing quarterback. There are mechanics and balance and footwork. He doesn’t have any of those when he plays. And it’s not his fault, or unexpected, because it’s all new to him. But he doesn’t play in the confines of the offensive structure at this point. Will that change? Nobody knows that. It’s too soon. But he’s got a really long way to go.

Jacksonville’s Blake Bortles

Bortles is a big physical kid and I thought in the preseason he did everything he was asked. He understood everything the Jaguars wanted him to do.
    He’s a little bit of a quirky thrower but he does have good arm strength. He’s not in the Joe Flacco/Matthew Stafford category, but he can throw it. You saw that on a 57-yard touchdown to Marqise Lee last week.

He was actually way late on that throw – he should have hit Lee much sooner than he did. But he waited and then he threw downfield flat footed with people around him. And he got it there.

NFL people will say that a quarterback needs to make throws when his lower body is not involved because of people around him in the pocket. And that throw by Bortles to Lee was all from the waist up.

Through the preseason, Bortles showed mental ability to recognize coverage before the snap, audible and make the right throw to the right receiver. He worked effectively out of a muddied pocket, standing tall and strong. He showed the ability to avoid the rush and re-set with both movement and strength. Now, I have no problem with what the Jaguars are doing, starting Chad Henne to start the season. Theoretically no rookie quarterback is ready to play week 1 in the NFL. But there’s nothing not to like based on what Bortles did in the preseason.

Minnesota’s Teddy Bridgewater

Bridgewater is pretty refined and advanced in the subtleties of the position. He’s got a good sense of progression reading because he played a pro-style offense at Louisville. So Bridgewater gets all that.

I don’t know if the physical gifts are enough to be more than a mid-level quarterback. The ball doesn’t come out with a lot of juice, especially on intermediate routes, which are a staple of Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner’s offense. I’m going to be interested to see the kinds of throws he can make when his lower body can’t get into it. He flicks the ball more than he drives it. But he has the instincts of a pocket quarterback.

To me, Bridgewater is along the lines of an Andy Dalton. Does a franchise need a superstar QB to win a Super Bowl? That’s the question in that era. I don’t see Bridgewater as one of those kinds of guys, though that doesn’t mean he can’t be a quality starter.

Oakland’s Derek Carr

Carr had choppy footwork at the start of the preseason (he came from a spread offense at Fresno State) but I think it got better. That leads me to believe he’s a player who, just looking at the tape and not being there, looks he is being coached well and is receptive to it. And he’s way better with people around him in the pocket than I thought he’d be. That was the knock on him coming out of college.

He showed that on a 27-yard pass to Mychal Rivera in last week’s game against Seattle. It was designed to be a three-step drop timing throw, but the defense took that away. So Carr navigated the pocket, kept a downfield focus and had a good aggressive throw with good ball location. That’s NFL quarterbacking.

Carr has a snap, compact delivery on short to intermediate throws, and has excellent velocity. He has very quick feet on rollouts and an aggressive mentality. And on a 36-yard touchdown to Denarius Moore against Seattle he also showed understanding of coverages, then patience and pose. He knew what he had pre-snap and delivered the ball with touch and accuracy.

Tennessee’s Zach Mettenberger
    I liked Mettenberger coming out of a college, and he looked good this preseason (he led the NFL with 659 passing yards).

Mettenberger will always throw balls that should be thrown. If you know the route combinations against certain coverages, and if you know where the ball should go in those situations, then you know Mettenberger throws the ball where the ball should go. It comes out in the proper timing and rhythm of the play. You rarely watch Mettenberger and say, “The ball should have come out there and didn’t.”

And he’s good against pressure in the pocket, feeling it but not seeing it, so he’ll wait and make throws that runners wouldn’t. And he has shown great anticipation. In the second preseason game he threw a 64-yard touchdown to Justin Hunter, and if you look at the moment he started to pull the trigger you’d say, “Who’s he throwing to?” But he knew where to go with the ball. He was decisive with his reads and throws, which he showed all preseason. That’s what it takes to play in this league. At some point in the NFL you’re going to have to make throws.
    Looks like Carr is the starter. I wish he had a better pass block oline. But good luck to the kid. The league needs a few more young QB's, I'll be watching to see what he can do.

My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    Despite having one of the worst O-lines and offenses known to man kind somehow Borltes leads the league in 3rd down completion %. How the ? By the way Spurraider, your boy looks pretty promising so at least we have hope for our ty franchises.

Here's the article:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...rterback-class

My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    lol bortles. lol 3rd overall. lol fml. lol jags

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    i'd say the whole generation is very far from good or ready. They all play in terrible teams, but they need to put their head out of their ass too.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Bridgewater has been ok, but i'm not really seeing his ceiling being much higher than average at best starting QB

My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    my carr, cream of the crop

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    all 4 got wins today

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    that last touchdown was vintage tbh

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    FkLA we got manziel vs carr this weekend, care to make it interesting? its in CLE btw

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    FkLA we got manziel vs carr this weekend, care to make it interesting? its in CLE btw
    Is he starting for sure? Or have they officially switched to him as the starter and I missed it? Been busy and haven't paid attention to the latest news in Cleveland tbh.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    true, i forgot that scrub was still battling it out with josh in mccwn.

most reports are saying they're leaning johnny tho

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    well nevermind, browns announce mccown is starting

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    franchise making decisions tbh

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    We'll see how Carr looks when the game is on the line this year. That and 3rd down is where the QB makes their money/name.

My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    We'll see how Carr looks when the game is on the line this year. That and 3rd down is where the QB makes their money/name.
    he plays well they win, he doesnt they lose. simple tbh

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    he's been in 2 of those situations this year, against baltimore and denver. against baltimore he took them down the field and threw the game winning TD with about 30 seconds to go. against denver, he threw hot and the receiver never turned for the ball and it became a pick 6. receiver was Seth Roberts both times, ironically

vs baltimore

vs denver

Thread Information