Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to hijack the thread but per the internet Pop makes less than Rivers and Van Gundy.

I mean among those 3 coaches they share 6 championships but I'm surprised Pop hasn't received a bump in salary.
    Pop keeps his salary low for the sake of the franchise, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Training Marks to take over as the coyote tbh
    Damn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says who? I don't feel like looking it up, but does anyone even know how much he makes? Pop doesn't seem like the type of person who would want stuff like that known to the public, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Messina won't wait for 4 or 5 years to take over the reins, he's practically good enough to coach right now and is perhaps better than at least 25 or the current NBA coaches. Dude's probably doing it for the experience and anticipating a coaching gig next season, Pop's just helping. It's a bit like signing Kawhi to back-up LeBron for 10 mins a game - it won't last long, both are too good. Also, it's funny how Pop sounds almost as if he'd be the assistant and learn from Messina

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Messina won't wait for 4 or 5 years to take over the reins, he's practically good enough to coach right now and is perhaps better than at least 25 or the current NBA coaches. Dude's probably doing it for the experience and anticipating a coaching gig next season, Pop's just helping. It's a bit like signing Kawhi to back-up LeBron for 10 mins a game - it won't last long, both are too good. Also, it's funny how Pop sounds almost as if he'd be the assistant and learn from Messina
    Yep. Messina is 55. So he's not going to be much of a coach of the future.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very good!! He is a great coach and perfect for the Spurs system..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's going to receive many offers in the next few seasons regardless, tbh, but if the Spurs repeat, there will be a few teams willing to offer him a massive amount of money to coach their team the following season IMO(especially when you see the type of money Kerr and Fisher received)..

As others already mentioned, I doubt he stays with the Spurs for more than a year or 2, tbh..

This is a transition/learning experience for him, and the Spurs are perfect for this role, as they are the middle ground between European basketball and NBA basketball..

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No team threw money at him to hang around a couple of years ago when he was with the Lakers...and the fact that he is a known commodity as great coach hasn't changed between then and now...so I don't see why some team would swoop in and take him in a year or two when he was there for the taking a back in 2012.

Just because Pop has signed a five season deal doesn't mean he's going to stay that long. I still say Pop coaches two or three more and then tells the Spurs he's ready for Messina to take over.
    Last edited by benefactor; 07-16-2014 at 06:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hook 'em
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the 3rd highest paid coach in the NBA dumbass. In San Antonio. Factoring cost of living and taxes probably #1. Dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to hijack the thread but per the internet Pop makes less than Rivers and Van Gundy.

I mean among those 3 coaches they share 6 championships but I'm surprised Pop hasn't received a bump in salary.
    Link? Because that new contract Pop just signed last week was clouded in secrecy and no details leaked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to get some NBA experience and get the respect of NBA players first. We don't want a David Blatt here.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop isn't breaking his contract unless it's an emergency. If he signed a 5 year deal he'll be here those five years, so no way he's grooming Messina to eventually take over here.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way The Spurs always give praise to corporate knowledge and continuity, though, I could see Messina taking over. Messina acts as an assistant for five years, but in each of the five years, Pop cedes more and more responsibility coupled with increases in pay. At the end of Pop's tenure he is near 70, Messina is 60 with great experience in The Spurs culture, and can repeat the process over the next ten years, ending with a 15 year career as a Spurs coach/assistant. Or, they do something entirely different. One or the other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Messina is just here to mentor Bonner for his inevitable coaching position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on the reaction of the posters here, especially the European ones, it seems like he's going to further refine an already solid offensive system. I'm starting to think he will to pop what thibs was to doc, except that he'll be on the offensive side

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Messina is just here to mentor Bonner for his inevitable coaching position.
    We should be so lucky. We could paint the Larry O'Brien trophy to look like a Hoagie, and win the championship every year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop isn't breaking his contract unless it's an emergency. If he signed a 5 year deal he'll be here those five years, so no way he's grooming Messina to eventually take over here.
    I agree that Pop will keep any commitment he made to Holt, with or without a formal extension. We really don't know, however, anything about the terms of his extension other than it was 'multi-year'.

All the scenarios with Messina are in play.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way The Spurs always give praise to corporate knowledge and continuity, though, I could see Messina taking over. Messina acts as an assistant for five years, but in each of the five years, Pop cedes more and more responsibility coupled with increases in pay. At the end of Pop's tenure he is near 70, Messina is 60 with great experience in The Spurs culture, and can repeat the process over the next ten years, ending with a 15 year career as a Spurs coach/assistant. Or, they do something entirely different. One or the other.
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility, in fact it makes pretty good sense. And why not? He has the credentials. And Pop can't coach forever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, going from Moscow to deep down Texas will be quite a change for Messina and his family

Anyway, greatest off-season move by far. With Messina on-board, the Spurs iden y could very well survive Pop/Manu/Parker/Pop departures

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is sean marks rc replacement? down the road
    A very important tidbit of info lost in the story. There's no doubt that is the intention if "big plans" are mentioned. Most importantly, in the NBA, moving him to a more prominent position in the front office increases his exposure to other teams. So even if he isn't RC's successor, he could be hired by someone else.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't wait for the Ayers ISO to be introduced.

Magical.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    This is why the Spurs excel. They plan for succession and groom players and staff for bigger roles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop just getting all bases covered when he faces Rick Carlisle...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA fckd

Thread Information