My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what Rove and the GOP wanted all along...

Hobbled IRS can't stem 'dark money' flow
    Source: Center For Public Intgrity/Yahoo

When federal election lawyers decided the nonprofit Crossroads Grassroots Policy Strategies likely violated political spending limits, campaign finance watchdogs were certain the Internal Revenue Service would take action.

After all, lawyers for the Federal Election Commission argued that Crossroads GPS, co-founded by Republican operatives Karl Rove and Ed Gillespie, spent more on politics than anything else leading up to the 2010 election.

Then the IRS tea party scandal exploded.

Republicans in Congress began waylaying the IRS over what they said was the systematic and inexcusable targeting of tea party and conservative groups. And the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration declared that the agency had employed “inappropriate criteria” in heavily scrutinizing some groups' tax-exemption applications.
    Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/hobbled-irs-ca...090000174.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Real Internal Revenue Scandal

the real scandal is what Republicans did to cripple the agency when virtually no one was looking. Since the broad Tea Party-driven spending cuts of 2010, the agency’s budget has been cut by 14 percent after inflation is considered, leading to sharply reduced staff, less enforcement of the tax laws and poor taxpayer service.

As the economist Jared Bernstein noted recently in The Washington Post, a weakened I.R.S. enforcement staff will be unable to make a dent in the $385 billion annual gap between what taxpayers owe and what they pay — an unintended tax cut, mostly for the rich, that represents 11 percent of this year’s spending. Middle-class taxpayers who struggle to fill out their 1040s may welcome a diminished threat of an audit, but in fact this reduction is not about them. The I.R.S. audits a far higher percentage of tax returns from people reporting incomes over $200,000 than from those reporting less, because that is where the money is (along with the most profitable cheating).

But in 2013, it audited only 24 percent of returns over $10 million, compared with 30 percent in 2010. Of returns reporting between $1 million and $5 million, it audited 16 percent in 2013, compared with 21 percent in 2010. That is great news for the nation’s highest-income taxpayers, many of whom donate generously to Republican politicians to keep their taxes low. They are getting their money’s worth from lawmakers who debilitate revenue collection while claiming to be deeply worried about the budget deficit.

But it is bad news for building roads, keeping the air clean, protecting the nation’s security, and countless other vital government tasks.

Revenue collected by I.R.S. enforcement actions has fallen by more than $4 billion over the last four years, according to a new report from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

And every dollar spent on enforcement yields $6 in additional revenue. Many I.R.S. computers use obsolete Windows XP operating systems and cannot keep up with a growing problem of iden y theft that is directing refunds to criminals.

But rather than meet their legal responsibilities, House Republicans have proposed cutting I.R.S. funding by yet another $341 million in 2015, to $10.9 billion. (Their bill also would outlaw the agency’s collection of the health law’s individual mandate penalty.)

President Obama’s budget, by contrast, would increase the agency’s spending by $1.2 billion compared with this year’s — not nearly enough, but at least a start in reversing a troubling trend and letting the I.R.S. do its job of collecting the money to pay for essential government services.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/06/op...ndal.html?_r=0

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a few graphs in here, for you right-wingers who can't/won't read, showing how the House Repugs up govt, esp the IRS, to huge advantage of the 1%, and to the disadvantage of the country.

http://www.cbpp.org/files/6-25-14tax.pdf

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahhh but the missed government revenue will trickle down and roads will magically get fixed.

Are the Republicans still using this line, or we don't know what they think anymore...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Ahhh but the missed government revenue will trickle down and roads will magically get fixed.

Are the Republicans still using this line, or we don't know what they think anymore...
    Don't know, but doesn't it make sense that more campaign money equals more paid commercials, more boost to the economy?

People like boutons should be happy that all this money the fat cats keep in their mattresses is finally being spent.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know, but doesn't it make sense that more campaign money equals more paid commercials, more boost to the economy?

People like boutons should be happy that all this money the fat cats keep in their mattresses is finally being spent.
    Yes.

If I produce campaign ads and then use my great wealth to fix public roads. Otherwise I just fix my private road up the mountain side to the mansion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yep, non-stop campaigning is an INDUSTRY, not democracy, for political consultants, ad agencies, etc, and for the media being paid for advertisements.

But perverted "1st Amendment" (dark) political $Bs is spent to advance the 1%/VRWC/UCA enrichment/protections, while blocking PROGRESS for and actually hurting the 99%.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Lets do a national sales tax or flat tax and save most of the money spent on the IRS then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cooler girl!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how you been?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets do a national sales tax or flat tax and save most of the money spent on the IRS then.
    flat tax, sales tax, VAT are horribly regressive, is exactly why the VRWC/1% pushes them.

Thread Information