Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not worth the Max now.. At 22 or 23 you should not be getting the max.. Tony is making 12 mil a year these days..
    Who determines 'should?' You?

Fact is that young, proven talent is the most sought after commodity in sport and basketball is no different. If he were to hit the open market, I imagine he would receive a bevy of max offers.

The market dictates worth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask the legend TSpence26. Tbh
    Lets not.......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who determines 'should?' You?

Fact is that young, proven talent is the most sought after commodity in sport and basketball is no different. If he were to hit the open market, I imagine he would receive a bevy of max offers.

Exactly. If guys like Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons are getting max offers, then I sure as bet Kawhi will as well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think an $80M/5 deal next summer makes the most sense for both sides. The Spurs get Leonard at a slight discount, and Kawhi gets about $11 Million more than he could get anywhere else.
    Forgive my ignorance on the salary cap ins-and-outs, but how would this be getting Leonard at a discount? Doesn't a five-year designated player extension require the contract to be for the max, regardless?

Or are you just saying in comparison to what the contract would be post-tv deal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgive my ignorance on the salary cap ins-and-outs, but how would this be getting Leonard at a discount? Doesn't a five-year designated player extension require the contract to be for the max, regardless?

Or are you just saying in comparison to what the contract would be post-tv deal?
    The designation is only for extensions. A new contract next summer can be for anywhere from one to five years and start at any salary below the max.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pay the man. Do not let him get away!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pay the man. Do not let him get away!
    Kawhi's not going ANYWHERE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. I can't remember the last time the Spurs lost one of their own when they wanted to keep him. A few grey-beards here my cite a few examples but it doesn't happen often and won't with Leonard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ABA Source faxed me over an extremely confident facsimile stating that he believed Coffee Black would sign with the Spurs before they made the move to the NBA.

Who cares? He'll probably just switch teams at halftime again!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are as good at signing players as any other franchise. It's simple: Play for the Spurs, work with great coaches in a great system, win championships and awards. Who wouldn't want to do that?
    Pau Gasol

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except maybe to the Finals a few more times.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are as good at signing players as any other franchise. It's simple: Play for the Spurs, work with great coaches in a great system, win championships and awards. Who wouldn't want to do that?
    Mostly every player that chose another team for more money, bigger role etc. are the ones that didn't want. The Spurs are everything players say they want in a team, but when the get the opportunity to play for the Spurs, they turn it down because it's not good enough for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly every player that chose another team for more money, bigger role etc. are the ones that didn't want. The Spurs are everything players say they want in a team, but when the get the opportunity to play for the Spurs, they turn it down because it's not good enough for them.
    Pity for them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's making about 50% more than the Spurs could have paid him...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no way Leonard is getting anything but the max. The only question is if it's a 5 year deal with 7.5% raises or a 4 year deal with 4.5% raises. But either way, that first year is going to be 25% of the cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no way Leonard is getting anything but the max. The only question is if it's a 5 year deal with 7.5% raises or a 4 year deal with 4.5% raises. But either way, that first year is going to be 25% of the cap.
    The difference between those two contracts will be more than $20 Million, and the APY difference will be at least a million. There's plenty of room to negotiate.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every FA Spurs (Paul Gasol) tried to land these past couple of weeks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Kawhi but he is not a max player. He has the potential to be. His regular season numbers of 12.8 and 6.2 on 52% shooting are not max numbers. , his play off numbers were only 14.3 and 6.7.

I get that what he brings to the table does not show up in the stats. The Spurs went on their huge run after the ASG when he came back from injury.

That said, if they give him max money, good for him.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Kawhi but he is not a max player. He has the potential to be. His regular season numbers of 12.8 and 6.2 on 52% shooting are not max numbers. , his play off numbers were only 14.3 and 6.7.

I get that what he brings to the table does not show up in the stats. The Spurs went on their huge run after the ASG when he came back from injury.

That said, if they give him max money, good for him.
    He is way better than Gordon Hayward, who just got a 4 year max contract with 4.5% raises.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You have no clue what the market is for him.. And Teams overpay for players all the time that does not mean you break the bank for them out of fear.. KL is damn good but young and needs more time to develop. I would not give him max money right now when his offensive game needs so much work and consistency. If there is a team out there ready to offer a player putting up 12 PPG a max deal then go right ahead..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some Spurs fans hate to see young black men get paid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 58m

RT Chris_Broussard: Sources: Suns offered Eric Bledsoe 4-year, $48 million contract. Bledsoe wants max of 5 years, $80 mil. Sides far apart

not sure what spur fan does not think leonard is worth the max especially giving up usa basketball to get his body proper rest

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get yo money, Whi Whi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 58m

RT Chris_Broussard: Sources: Suns offered Eric Bledsoe 4-year, $48 million contract. Bledsoe wants max of 5 years, $80 mil. Sides far apart

not sure what spur fan does not think leonard is worth the max especially giving up usa basketball to get his body proper rest

If the Spurs lost game 7 to Dallas are we here talking about KL being a max player? This prisoner of the moment stuff is a tad dangerous..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    playoffs is where players make the money
    just ask danny green when he is a fa and he gets to the finals next year and makes those threes

Thread Information