Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    leonard is a 2 way player people
    he guarded Durant and James and still was 14.3 6.7 guy
    name one player other then him that could do that

oh and if he was not a spur and had plays actually called for him his numbers would be higher
    spurs are stacked and that is why all the players numbers stats would be more on other teams

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    playoffs is where players make the money
    just ask danny green when he is a fa and he gets to the finals next year and makes those threes
    Did he really have a great playoffs? He didn't even have a great finals if you count games 1 and 2.. Lets face it right now KL is a good player on the way up for sure but max dollars now.. Meh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if I am leonard I ask for the max and sign long term for 5 years with the 7.5 raises and if not three with those raises and when the tv contract kicks in look out.
    more money for leonard if he plays better like everyone is betting on and is still healthy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayward/Parsons just got PAAAAAAAAAAAID. Scrubs like Bledsoe are about to be paid. Kirby is the highest paid player in the league....

anybody that thinks Kawhi doesn't deserve the max tbh....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rember spurs were a .500 team without leonard in the regular season
    had winning records with anyone else out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayward/Parsons just got PAAAAAAAAAAAID. Scrubs like Bledsoe are about to be paid. Kirby is the highest paid player in the league....

anybody that thinks Kawhi doesn't deserve the max tbh....
    Lets just say Tony may be a tad pissed if KL is making close to 20 mil a year when he is getting 12.. And I would not blame him.. TD is a top 10 all time player making 10.. This team has been built the last number of years on the premise of the star players taking less so the team can add more around them..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets just say Tony may be a tad pissed if KL is making close to 20 mil a year when he is getting 12.. And I would not blame him.. TD is a top 10 all time player making 10.. This team has been built the last number of years on the premise of the star players taking less so the team can add more around them..
    TD is the 4th highest-earning NBA player of all-time. Dude has made over $200 million in his career. Him taking a paycut isn't the same as Kawhi taking a paycut.

And Kawhi is more important to this team than Tony at this point and will be going forward. Speaking solely from an on-court perspective, obviously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim was making max money for most of his career. TP's deal was the result of a looming lockout.

I don't think anybody else on the team would be mad at the Finals MVP, who isn't even in his prime yet, for getting the contract that he's earned tbh. At least I'd hope not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha people discussing if Kawhi is a max player or not. The market determines that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The market determines that.
    Regardless of what anyone thinks, this is what it comes down to. Kawhi will get max offers from at least a few teams. You may think it's the dumbest thing in the world, but the market for players of Kawhi's caliber says he's worth max money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah although there is a cap, we are still not a communist country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have no clue what the market is for him.. And Teams overpay for players all the time that does not mean you break the bank for them out of fear.. KL is damn good but young and needs more time to develop. I would not give him max money right now when his offensive game needs so much work and consistency. If there is a team out there ready to offer a player putting up 12 PPG a max deal then go right ahead..
    He is way better than Gordon Hayward, who just got a 4 year max contract with 4.5% raises.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs lost game 7 to Dallas are we here talking about KL being a max player? This prisoner of the moment stuff is a tad dangerous..
    I can play that game, too. If Allen's 2013 shot hits the rim and goes out of bounds, is Kawhi a 2 time Finals MVP?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can play that game, too. If Allen's 2013 shot hits the rim and goes out of bounds, is Kawhi a 2 time Finals MVP?
    Green is most likely the 2013 fmvp which would kinda change the way we look at that award...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD is the 4th highest-earning NBA player of all-time. Dude has made over $200 million in his career. Him taking a paycut isn't the same as Kawhi taking a paycut.

And Kawhi is more important to this team than Tony at this point and will be going forward. Speaking solely from an on-court perspective, obviously.
    TD was making max money when he was the best player in the NBA.. Most of his max years he was dominant. Plus the CBA was different then in terms of more years and dollars committed.. There is no justification for giving KL max money with Tony making 12 mil a year.. None whatsoever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No TD wins it in 2013..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no justification for giving KL max money with Tony making 12 mil a year.. None whatsoever.
    Sure there is: the current market says Kawhi is worth max money. San Antonio isn't a desirable destination for FAs; letting Kawhi walk because we don't want to pay him (despite having his bird rights) would be a mistake.

It's also disingenuous to point out Kawhi's box score numbers. Pop managed his minutes (too much, IMO, but that's a different discussion for another topic) and he was the 4th option behind the Big 3. The Big 3 isn't going to be around much longer. You seriously think Kawhi is still going to average 12 ppg once Tim/Manu retire and Tony is no longer an all-star? Not to mention Kawhi's biggest strength, his defense, doesn't show up in the box score.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you rather pay Leonard Max money or spend the next 15 years begging overrated players who have no intention of signing with the Spurs? Lock Leonard up and keep him a spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD was making max money when he was the best player in the NBA.. Most of his max years he was dominant. Plus the CBA was different then in terms of more years and dollars committed.. There is no justification for giving KL max money with Tony making 12 mil a year.. None whatsoever.
    This is true, talked about that already... Dont see how you can give significantly more money to Kawhi than to TP...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is true, talked about that already... Dont see how you can give significantly more money to Kawhi than to TP...
    Kawhi is 23. TP is 32. They're on opposite career trajectories. Besides, TP is up for renewal next summer with a likely higher cap.

Sentiment can't enter into it. I'm sure TP would rather KEEP Kawhi than lose him to an unmatched MAX offer.

The players that come after you always make more than you and your peer group. Magic and Bird made . Jordan and Shaq were really the first ones to cash in.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Kawhi cares about money about as much as his teammates do. Don't really care what the numbers are, but I'm fairly certain that it'll be done quietly and quickly just like everyone else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is not about justification... is about do you want to keep him around or not? if nobody offers him max money then he is not worth max money...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is not about justification... is about do you want to keep him around or not? if nobody offers him max money then he is not worth max money...
    What in the world makes you think Parsons and Hayward can get max offers, but not FMVP Kawhi Leonard?

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a lot of benefits to playing with the spurs. 50 win seasons. Tons of rest. Playoffs guaranteed. Player Development is a priority. A chance to win rings every year.
    I believe Kawhi gets a lil below the max. The spurs benefit from him and he benefits from the spurs.

Thread Information