Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just started his book....LIFE. I had no idea this guy was as deep deep into music as he obviously is. He talks about hanging out in Mississippi juke joints with just him the only white guy there and how cool that was. He talks about Furry Lewis, Bukka White, Robert Johnson, Elmore James*** (he actually mentions a good 30 old blues cats) and his main guitar inspiration Scotty Moore, Moore was Elvis'a lead guitarist. He talks about not being able to play some lick that Scotty had mastered.

I highly recommend this book to anyone into music, a great read!

"Finally I'm in my element! An incredible band is wailing on a stage with phosphoresant paint, the dance floor is moving as one, so does the sweat and the ribs cooking out back. The only thing that makes me stand out is that I'm white. Wonderfully, no one notices this aberration. I am accepted. I'm made to feel so warm. I am in heaven"

Keith Richards

*** Brian Jones was obsessed with slide guitar master Elmore James. Jones actually called himself Elmo Lewis before starting the Rolling Stones (they got that name from a 1951 Muddy Waters tune "Rolling Stone" )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2hygHu8CI

Elmore James
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMrElD7mgWo
    Last edited by Avante; 07-19-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I like how they got their name off a muddy waters tune. Love rolling stones ill have to get the book

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I like how they got their name off a muddy waters tune. Love rolling stones ill have to get the book
    Well then let me also recommend....

The Rolling Stones: Life on the Road

Bill Wymans Blues Odyssey

The Sound of the City

Must haves for any serious music freak.

There is no "famous" rock band more deeply entrenched in those primitive blues than The Stones.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Keith also learned Memphis tuning in 1964 when the Stone were playing in San Antonio from a member of George Jones band.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Keith also learned Memphis tuning in 1964 when the Stone were playing in San Antonio from a member of George Jones band.
    Well that is the only interesting bit of trivia I've ever seen in an Avante thread.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    What I like about Keith is how genuine he is…He talks about his drug abuse & need for a complete blood transfusion to be able to perform in Canada…He is not bragging he is just explaining how messed up he was…

Without Keith Richards The Stones would be like the Beatles…Just another boys band…

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Looks like a monster to me

Few quotes from his new book:

"I don't want to see my old friend Lucifer just yet. He's the guy I'm gonna see, isn't it? I'm not going to the other place, let's face it. I've given up everything now - which is a trip in itself."

"I'm probably more aligned to Lucifer and the dark side."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What I like about Keith is how genuine he is…He talks about his drug abuse & need for a complete blood transfusion to be able to perform in Canada…He is not bragging he is just explaining how messed up he was…

Without Keith Richards The Stones would be like the Beatles…Just another boys band…
    I love the Rolling Stones. I've all of their albums and listen to them daily and been to a couple of their concerts.

But the Beatles just another boy band? really? Their musicianship is off the charts.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The more I read about this guy the more stunned I become. I had no idea he was so knowledgeable about the roots of it all. He's far far more than just a rock guitar player.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well that is the only interesting bit of trivia I've ever seen in an Avante thread.
    I don't even enter your threads, yep...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Back in the 60s I was too young/dumb to really get The Beatles. I think a lot of people were like that. Now that I get it The Beatles are totally amazing. There deserve all the props they get and are without question one of the top three/four muscical acts of all time.

The Dirty White Boys, The Silencers etc etc are ....just another boys band.

Mick Jagger the real force behind the Stones.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

The Beatles were amazing songwriters/poets, good vocalists but just marginal musicians.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't even enter your threads, yep...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    And I thank you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Beatles were amazing songwriters/poets, good vocalists but just marginal musicians.
    You can't be a marginal musician and compose Eleanor Rigby, I am the Walrus, Here Comes the Sun, Martha My Dear, You Never Give Me Your Money, For the Benefit of Mr. Kite etc.

They didn't "show off" like Richards, Jimmy Paige, Slash, Hendrix etc. on guitar like those guys did, but that just wasn't their style.

Their earlier stuff, sure.
    Last edited by mingus; 07-20-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You can't be a marginal musician and compose Eleanor Rigby, I am the Walrus, Here Comes the Sun, Martha My Dear, You Never Give Me Your Money, For the Benefit of Mr. Kite etc.

They didn't "show off" like Richards, Jimmy Paige, Slash, Hendrix etc. on guitar like those guys did, but that just wasn't their style.

Their earlier stuff, sure.
    Yup, that's what great songwriters do!

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Someone on here said the Beatles were just "marginal" musicians, and that just shows this persons' ignorance, because it is widely known and accepted that they were very exceptional musicians.
    Maybe in the early stages, and before they played in Germany, this could be said, but the same could be said of every musician that ever played.

As for Richards, I have posted in other threads much of this already about him, plus about the efforts he is making finding these great old blues musicians, and doing what he can to help rehabilitate them, get them settled and off living on the streets, and laying out a lot of his personal funds to do this.
    But this can be a two edged sword in that a lot of these old blues musicians are what they are due to the trials, tribulations, and suffering they have had to endure.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yup, that's what great songwriters do!
    Right. And you've got to have a better than marginal understanding of the piano, violin, guitar, bass etc. to write them, too.

I've never heard anyone call the Beatles marginal musicians. But if that's what you believe suite yourself.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    About the only Beatle you say is marginal, is possibly Ringo Starr and that would have to be because of his songwriting, but definitely not because of his drumming and percussion.
    The other three were widely considered to be geniuses in musical ability and songwriting by their peers and the general musician populace.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Yeah that was bad take, Beatles were incredible musicians. Paul equivocated playing bass and singing to dialing two different phone numbers on two different phones at the same time. It's incredibly difficult and requires a lot of talent.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Ringo Star…
    Drum by numbers…
    Was so awful he was not allowed to record for the albums…

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Rocky Raccoon
    Why Don’t We Do it in the Road
    Stoner White Album
    Ripping off Chuck Berry

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ringo Star…
    Drum by numbers…
    Was so awful he was not allowed to record for the albums…
    The question I have is, are you laughing at others for saying something truly uninformed and stupid like the above quote?
    Or are you laughing because the above quote is what you think and believe?

And as for the second quote, you do realize who wrote those songs, and what sarcasm and humor are, don't you?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Grandpa complimenting Ringo on his drumming talents…

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Grandpa complimenting Ringo on his drumming talents…
    A child, trying to make competent and knowledgeable comments about subjects they have no conception of, and probably never will.
    That is what is truly funny!
    You give truth to the old saying, "kids should be seen, and not heard".
    Get back to us when you have something that really is intelligent to say, and maybe then, just maybe, you won't look like such a fool.

Thread Information