Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to cover an entire season and playoffs in 77 minutes is tough. I'm glad I bought it because years from now it will mean even more to me.
    Then why did past Championship videos do it so well? Past videos have been up to 200 minutes long, when you count the season retrospective, along with the bonus features. Ahmad Rashad sounded like he was doing narration for a Nickelodeon after school special. This effort was absolutely pathetic. But I'm have this OCD thing where I absolutely HAD to buy it, to have this edition next to the others. I've watched this thing once. I tried to watch it again, but got pissed off half way through and turned it off. I then popped in the 2003 DVD and was much happier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then why did past Championship videos do it so well? Past videos have been up to 200 minutes long, when you count the season retrospective, along with the bonus features. Ahmad Rashad sounded like he was doing narration for a Nickelodeon after school special. This effort was absolutely pathetic. But I'm have this OCD thing where I absolutely HAD to buy it, to have this edition next to the others. I've watched this thing once. I tried to watch it again, but got pissed off half way through and turned it off. I then popped in the 2003 DVD and was much happier.
    I can't find my 2005 DVD, but 99 was 50 minutes and 2003 was almost 200 minutes. While I would have enjoyed a longer video, this year had some great moments. "Pathetic?" I dunno. Everyone talking how horrible it was had my expectations so low that when I actually saw it I enjoyed it. Thanks for the reminder about 2003. Looks like a lot of great stuff. Haven't seen it in years. I mostly watch the games from the 16 disc box set. Game 5 2005 from the end of the third quarter on is killer, same thing with game 7 that year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't find my 2005 DVD, but 99 was 50 minutes and 2003 was almost 200 minutes.
    Well, the 99 was originally released on VHS, so I forgive a short run time. The 2005 DVD was 200 minutes. It only had the clinching fourth quarter of the Finals, but it had a ton of other bonus features. But I routinely put on Game 5 from 05 from the 16 disc box set. I say "pathetic" because there is no good reason for so little effort to have been put into this years. A lackluster season review, and 4 small video packages as "bonus features". Half of which had either already been produced during the season, or before the Finals. Spurs fans on YouTube outclassed NBA Entertainment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the 99 was originally released on VHS, so I forgive a short run time. The 2005 DVD was 200 minutes. It only had the clinching fourth quarter of the Finals, but it had a ton of other bonus features. But I routinely put on Game 5 from 05 from the 16 disc box set. I say "pathetic" because there is no good reason for so little effort to have been put into this years. A lackluster season review, and 4 small video packages as "bonus features". Half of which had either already been produced during the season, or before the Finals. Spurs fans on YouTube outclassed NBA Entertainment.
    I get what you mean. Maybe Ken Burns will do a proper one some day and I'm not kidding. Last season is one of the biggest and greatest sports story in my lifetime. Sure I'm a huge fan, but you could not have made up a better story than we all witnessed. In the days that followed our devastating loss last year I was looking for a silver lining in all of it. I realized it was only a game and there are many people in the world with real problems. However, as a fan that wasn't the silver lining I was looking for. I realized win or lose we were going to witness this team play with a determination not quite like anything we've ever seen. They weren't going to talk about it. Tim, Pop, and the rest were going to put their heads down and work. I never necessarily was convinced they'd win the championship, I just knew they were going keel over trying. Rodeo people call that "try." I call it determination. We are blessed fans my friend.
    Last edited by spurs10; 08-30-2014 at 01:28 AM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get what you mean. Maybe Ken Burns will do a proper one some day and I'm not kidding. Last season is one of the biggest and greatest sports story in my lifetime. Sure I'm a huge fan, but you could not have made up a better story than we all witnessed. In the days that followed our devastating loss last year I was looking for a silver lining in all of it. I realized it was only a game and there are many people in the world with real problems. However, as a fan that wasn't the silver lining I was looking for. I realized win or lose we were going to witness this team play with a determination not quite like anything we've ever seen. They weren't going to talk about it. Tim, Pop, and the rest were going to put their heads down and work. I never necessarily was convinced they'd win the championship, I just knew they were going keel over trying. Rodeo people call that "try." I call it determination. We are blessed fans my friend.
    Ken Burns sucks. I still remember the way he kept patting himself on the back for all these great shots he took in his national parks do entary, and then I saw the piece of and every shot was something you'd get right off the road. That was being hyped like he was Ansel Adams and instead it was the park experience 300 lb people on fat scooters would have. And the way he focused on people instead of the parks themselves. His do entaries are like bad highschool textbooks. His baseball do entary is so boring. His prohibition do entary the same. A Ken Burns do entary on the Spurs would be 60% still shots of Coby Dietrick and Mike Gale with bad narration over it. I can't believe how gifted Ken Burns is in taking incredibly interesting topics and making them seem like 10th grade history. that guy.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 08-30-2014 at 07:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ken Burns sucks. I still remember the way he kept patting himself on the back for all these great shots he took in his national parks do entary, and then I saw the piece of and every shot was something you'd get right off the road. That was being hyped like he was Ansel Adams and instead it was the park experience 300 lb people on fat scooters would have. And the way he focused on people instead of the parks themselves. His do entaries are like bad highschool textbooks. His baseball do entary is so boring. His prohibition do entary the same. A Ken Burns do entary on the Spurs would be 60% still shots of Coby Dietrick and Mike Gale with bad narration over it. I can't believe how gifted Ken Burns is in taking incredibly interesting topics and making them seem like 10th grade history. that guy.
    He told me he really liked you!? It's doubtful Burns is the cinematographer on many of his films/series. I know the National Park series was written by his colleague Dayton Duncan. Burns was his co-producer. I spend a lot of time in our National Parks and feel the purpose of films like theirs is encouraging people to visit them and see for themselves. The Civil War do entary was lauded by many.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I spend a lot of time in our National Parks and feel the purpose of films like theirs is encouraging people to visit them and see for themselves.
    I think he failed miserably there, since that NP do entary was all boring stories about administrators, rangers, and politicians instead of the parks themselves. Just like the ty championship DVD, there is so much better content on our NPs on YouTube than in his big budget do entary. For instance, Yosemite Nature Notes just kills any of the coverage Burns gave Yosemite (which he spent a lot of time on):

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he failed miserably there, since that NP do entary was all boring stories about administrators, rangers, and politicians instead of the parks themselves. Just like the ty championship DVD, there is so much better content on our NPs on YouTube than in his big budget do entary. For instance, Yosemite Nature Notes just kills any of the coverage Burns gave Yosemite (which he spent a lot of time on):
    Thanks for the Yosemite Nature Notes. Haven't spent as much time there but it's beautiful. And speaking of the Spurs, so is that LOB statue!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the Yosemite Nature Notes. Haven't spent as much time there but it's beautiful. And speaking of the Spurs, so is that LOB statue!
    If you like backpacking it's unreal. Also you can stay where you want as long as it's wilderness and you have the right wilderness permit, so you don't need rigid plans nailing where you stay every night before hand like you do in Grand Teton, Yellowstone, or Big Bend. Only downside is you have to carry a three pound bear canister for your food, as there the bears know how to take down properly hung food and will do it 100% of the time. The Ansel Adams National Forest on the east edge of Yosemite is even more impressive for backpacking, especially stuff like the Sierra High Route (which roughly runs parallel to the John Muir Trail) if you like off-trail.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 08-31-2014 at 02:43 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you like backpacking it's unreal. Also you can stay where you want as long as it's wilderness and you have the right wilderness permit, so you don't need rigid plans nailing where you stay every night before hand like you do in Grand Teton, Yellowstone, or Big Bend. Only downside is you have to carry a three pound bear canister for your food, as there the bears know how to take down properly hung food and will do it 100% of the time. The Ansel Adams National Forest on the east edge of Yosemite is even more impressive for backpacking, especially stuff like the Sierra High Route (which roughly runs parallel to the John Muir Trail) if you off-trail.
    It sounds "unreal." Yeah, just saw a few bears in the wild (from a distance) and watched one make mincemeat out of bear-proof cooler. Bears are not to be trifled with. My only close encounter with one ended well when the bear decided he wasn't hungry and let us be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sounds "unreal." Yeah, just saw a few bears in the wild (from a distance) and watched one make mincemeat out of bear-proof cooler. Bears are not to be trifled with. My only close encounter with one ended well when the bear decided he wasn't hungry and let us be.
    They only allow a few specific models of canisters to be used in Yosemite, and when you go backpacking there they tell you the canister can really only be counted on for a few minutes and that you need to run the bear off, which isn't a problem with California black bears. Now Candaian black bears or grizzlies from Yellowstone all the way north to Banff no way you'd ever do that.

It's funny in Yosemite the bears have learned to go and tip people's cans over to see if they have the lids screwed on.

Then the bears just usually walk off if the lid is on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They only allow a few specific models of canisters to be used in Yosemite, and when you go backpacking there they tell you the canister can really only be counted on for a few minutes and that you need to run the bear off, which isn't a problem with California black bears. Now Candaian black bears or grizzlies from Yellowstone all the way north to Banff no way you'd ever do that.
    I hear you. I've heard they have never had an attack in Yellowstone of four or more people. I'm always hyper vigilant when I hike there. It's part of the thrill...until you get mauled I suppose!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear you. I've heard they have never had an attack in Yellowstone of four or more people. I'm always hyper vigilant when I hike there. It's part of the thrill...until you get mauled I suppose!
    You ever hike the Beartooths? Way better backpacking than Yellowstone and just a few miles northeast of the park, less crowds, much less wildlife, though the weather can be serious. Yosemite and the Ansel Adams wilderness even in the high country the weather is pretty tame in comparison.

Thread Information