Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see Baynes back for sentimental reasons, even if I know it doesn't stack up logically or skill-wise. I'd say its good karma to bring everyone back for ring night, and I really do like that he ended Howard's career in LA!
    ^ this

He's a brute strength banger we can use to frustrate the other team's bigs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's actually pretty valuable considering Duncan's age and Splitters injury history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's actually pretty valuable considering Duncan's age and Splitters injury history.
    And the fact that our alternatives are Errors or 4th-Big-Bonner.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes is a good hatchet man to have on this team. He's great for 6 hard fouls and physical play. I remember against OKC Baynes was useful to counter Adam's dirt cheapshots. Baynes got him a few times with some hard elbows,screen, and fouls. Baynes will be good to use against teams like the Rockets,Clippers,Blazers. All three teams have bigs in which Baynes can be used to give out hard fouls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Baynes signs would all the roster spots be filled? What happens if the Spurs find someone in training camp that they may need to maybe fill the PG spot until Mills returns or someone to back up Kawhi at SF? Would they cut a player already signed to open a roster spot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aron's having fun at home. He'll come back and sign the contract and bob's yer uncle.

That's an Aussie thing, right?
    The nig is probably doing FIBA with the Aussie squad. Last I heard, his agent was handling all his RFA . They're probably looking for more money, which isn't surprising imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    knows. It's good fun watching Baynes terrorise others and knock them to the hardwood. Ayres on the other hand, I cringe anytime he is on the court. Keep Baynes, get rid of Ayres, no point keeping both around.
    Seems reasonable to me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    him and Ayers weren't that far apart in terms of production only perception. Its not like the Spurs are going to pay $2.8 to 2 players to leave the team. He isn't much of an asset against against teams like Memphis. He fouls a ton, can't space the floor or defend like Diaw or Splitter and can't pass like either of them. Thats an odd reason to keep a player on a roster nowadays. Its not like Shaq is 27 and terrorizing the NBA again.
    Good post. I don't get the obsession over him either. That said, I'd give him the edge over Ayres, because he's slightly bigger and stronger, has slightly better hands and plays with more confidence. Either way, I don't really care though, so long as one goes, since they're redundant.

Neither is good enough to be a consistent rotation player, particularly for a team of this caliber. It's not going to happen, but I'd give strong consideration to starting Diaw full time and giving Daye a shot at being the fourth big early on. Obviously, he's not Diaw, in terms of making plays off the dribble, but he's shown a proclivity for doing so all the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Baynes signs would all the roster spots be filled? What happens if the Spurs find someone in training camp that they may need to maybe fill the PG spot until Mills returns or someone to back up Kawhi at SF? Would they cut a player already signed to open a roster spot?
    No one from training camp will be better than any of our 15 players once Baynes signs. There will be no training camp surprises. No one on a fully guaranteed deal will be cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post. I don't get the obsession over him either. That said, I'd give him the edge over Ayres, because he's slightly bigger and stronger, has slightly better hands and plays with more confidence. Either way, I don't really care though, so long as one goes, since they're redundant.

Neither is good enough to be a consistent rotation player, particularly for a team of this caliber. It's not going to happen, but I'd give strong consideration to starting Diaw full time and giving Daye a shot at being the fourth big early on. Obviously, he's not Diaw, in terms of making plays off the dribble, but he's shown a proclivity for doing so all the same.
    Baynes on a cheap one year deal isn't bad. Its having both Ayers and Baynes on a packed roster that doesn't make much since, to me at least.

I'd would hope the Spurs pawn off Ayers along with an unprotected pick 2016 2nd round pick to a bad team (the most likely to take such a deal).

I'd be in favor of starting Diaw with the benefit of having Splitter off the bench. Splitter would allow the Spurs to experimenting with various lineups.

Josheph-Belinelli-Ginobili-Anderson-Splitter

Daye would have a better chance of receiving at minutes at PF with Splitter there to crash the glass and protect the paint.

Hopefully he could develop into a very poor mans Channing Frye.

I think Anderson could play at PF and some small forward. He's 6'8 1/2 in shoes with a massive 7'2 1/2 wingspan. He is listed at 230 (same weight as Bonner and a bit more compact because he's shorter)

It would be less likely if Diaw is off the bench that either would play extended minutes at the PF.

Parker-Green-Leonard-Diaw-Duncan should fare better defensive

The Spurs starting unit last seasons was great defensively but struggled offensively.

With Diaw back in the starting unit they could be a more balanced unit.

(the closing unit of Parker-Ginobili-Leonard-Diaw and Duncan were fantastic offensively but weren't very good defensively.)

Diaw versatility with his ability to shoot the 3 and post up along with his passing ability.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes on a cheap one year deal isn't bad. Its having both Ayers and Baynes on a packed roster that doesn't make much since, to me at least.

I'd would hope the Spurs pawn off Ayers along with an unprotected pick 2016 2nd round pick to a bad team (the most likely to take such a deal).

I'd be in favor of starting Diaw with the benefit of having Splitter off the bench. Splitter would allow the Spurs to experimenting with various lineups.

Daye would have a better chance of receiving at minutes at PF with Splitter there to crash the glass and protect the paint.

I think Anderson could play at PF and some small forward. He's 6'8 1/2 in shoes with a massive 7'2 1/2 wingspan. He is listed at 230 (same weight as Bonner and a bit more compact because he's shorter)

It would be less likely if Diaw is off the bench that either would play extended minutes at the PF.

The Spurs starting unit last seasons was great defensively but struggled offensively.

(the closing unit of Parker-Ginobili-Leonard-Diaw and Duncan were fantastic offensively but weren't very good defensively.)

Diaw versatility with his ability to shoot the 3 and post up along with his passing ability.
    Diaw ain't going to start the season. Splitter is still the starting center.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean Houston and dallas and the grizz and the pelicans run 2 big bigs all the time. I haven't seen Diaw play particularly good vs our division rivals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw ain't going to start the season. Splitter is still the starting center.
    I know. TD21 mentioned that he'd prefer Diaw to start and I agreed.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know. TD21 mentioned that he'd prefer Diaw to start and I agreed.
    oh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean Houston and dallas and the grizz and the pelicans run 2 big bigs all the time. I haven't seen Diaw play particularly good vs our division rivals.
    What? Terrance Jones-Howard, Davis-Asik, and Dirk and Chandler don't compare to Gasol and Randolph in terms of physicality.

Jones got abused by Diaw in a game last year and he'd be a better to defend Jones than Splitter was. Duncan is probably the best D12 defender in the NBA.

Davis isn't a major post up threat and gets a chunk of his points off pick and rolls Diaw can certainly guard him.

Splitter is a better defender against Dirk but Diaw is solid as well. Chandler is a pretty mediocre offensive big man. If he isn't dunking the ball he probably isn't going to score.

Only Memphis would pose a problem, and Splitter could start in those games. The league is pretty small now, Diaw started 79 games over 2 1/2 seasons with the Spurs and the team was successful. The Spurs had probably the 2nd or 3rd biggest starting big man tandem last season after Gasol and Randolph and probably ahead of Perkins and Ibaka.

Diaw averaged 8 ppg, 4.5 rpg and 2 assists in 24 mpg in 16 games vs. the Southwest Division, not bad considering most of those games came off the bench .

The Spur defense with Parker-Ginobili-Leonard-Diaw-Duncan isn't very good but would be better with Green subbed in for Ginobili. The offense would probably be better due to Diaws floor spacing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody will offer him anything in restricted free agency, expect him to sign the 1 year qualifying offer and be an unrestricted free agent next year.
    Opened this thread for the first time. I skimmed all the posts to see if this was already addressed, but I may have missed something. If Baynes signs his QO, he should be restricted again next year. Next year would only be his third accrued season.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're only restricted once.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kind of off topic, but what would you rank baynes' overall in nba 2k15? 71?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kind of off topic, but what would you rank baynes' overall in nba 2k15? 71?
    They are usualy pretty stingy probably in the 60's like 63

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes is the big dog to throw out there against big teams. He's ok off the bench. Daye and Ayres should be cut loose.
    At this point I think Splitter has shown that he is best guarding opposing 4s. His actually somewhat elite at it between his post and pnr defense.

Splitter is not very good defender against truly powerful 5s like Howard and Gasol. He is best suited dealing with LA and Dirk types.

Baynes would actually need to get a reliable jumper and not just nice form to play with Splitter but he can play the 5. Splitter is better in his rotations but when Baynes is in position, he is a better rim protector because of his hops and long arms. Outside of Duncan, Baynes is our best rim protector.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're only restricted once.
    If Baynes signs the QO, he'll be an RFA again next summer:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q47

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Baynes signs the QO, he'll be an RFA again next summer:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q47
    I stand corrected. Thanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Exactly. Ayres and Baynes are redundant and four centers and seven bigs is completely unnecessary.

The only possible trade I can think of, is Ayres and cash for Teague. They went with Gutierrez as the third PG down the stretch last season and need another big, so this would get them out of potentially having to eat Teague's guaranteed contract, plus plug a hole. Meanwhile, the Spurs would avoid a potential (however likely it is) minor embarrassment of releasing a player on a guaranteed contract that they signed and could have Teague battle Cotton to make the team.

Despite similar listings to Bonner, Anderson's not nearly as strong and I seriously doubt he could play PF on a full time basis. It's doubtful in Daye's case too, but the difference is, that's his only chance. He's also a better shooter at this point.

Splitter backing up Duncan would mean at least one is on the floor at all times, plus more rest for Duncan. In certain match-ups, they could still start Splitter though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's good to have an Enforcer or 2 on the team.

I could see teams trying just to physically beat on the Spurs in lieu of the skills to match...

We're too smart for that, but still...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Ayres and Baynes are redundant and four centers and seven bigs is completely unnecessary.

The only possible trade I can think of, is Ayres and cash for Teague. They went with Gutierrez as the third PG down the stretch last season and need another big, so this would get them out of potentially having to eat Teague's guaranteed contract, plus plug a hole. Meanwhile, the Spurs would avoid a potential (however likely it is) minor embarrassment of releasing a player on a guaranteed contract that they signed and could have Teague battle Cotton to make the team.

Despite similar listings to Bonner, Anderson's not nearly as strong and I seriously doubt he could play PF on a full time basis. It's doubtful in Daye's case too, but the difference is, that's his only chance. He's also a better shooter at this point.

Splitter backing up Duncan would mean at least one is on the floor at all times, plus more rest for Duncan. In certain match-ups, they could still start Splitter though.
    I was thinking Ayers for Mbah Moute unfortunately the salaries don't match without including Daye. Roster spots are scarce on the Wolves. They are going to have 15 with Wiggins and Bennett.

If i'm not mistaken though, The Wolves would receive a trade exception for 4.7 million from the Love deal.

That would be a pretty good move. Mbah Moute is an athletic 6'7 SF who is known for his defense and can board.

He doesn't play at all for Minny and is on an expiring deal of $4.3 million. He could give us an end of bench defender and more depth at SF.

Thread Information