Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said, I'm sure one of the Spurs players/coaches mentioned that he makes all/most of his shots in practice/scrimmage but seems to rush them in games. He just needs court time and learn to slow down a little bit out there.

I have no idea what the Spurs FO are doing if they let him walk and keep Ayres.

If they're trying to get someone else with that last roster spot, I'd still cut Ayres and sign Baynes to that spot any day of the week. If they're trying to get him cheap for the QO and don't want to pay him a cent more, then that might be backfiring on them as his stock seems to be rising playing for Australia. He's played well in every game so far. Can't they just give him a slight raise? Also, how much is the qualifying offer in comparison to what he made last season? Is it a higher amount?
    You people make me laugh. We're talking about the 13th-14th player on our roster, and you want the front office to lock itself in a closet and bid itself up. The front office has made the QO that makes Aron restricted. They shouldn't up that one DIME. If you go to the grocery store and your bill is $50, do you say "no, I'm paying you $60!" ?

If he gets another offer, then they decide to match or not.

Never go to Vegas, Ice. You'll come home wearing a barrel, and never have a clue why.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said, I'm sure one of the Spurs players/coaches mentioned that he makes all/most of his shots in practice/scrimmage but seems to rush them in games. He just needs court time and learn to slow down a little bit out there.

I have no idea what the Spurs FO are doing if they let him walk and keep Ayres.

If they're trying to get someone else with that last roster spot, I'd still cut Ayres and sign Baynes to that spot any day of the week. If they're trying to get him cheap for the QO and don't want to pay him a cent more, then that might be backfiring on them as his stock seems to be rising playing for Australia. He's played well in every game so far. Can't they just give him a slight raise? Also, how much is the qualifying offer in comparison to what he made last season? Is it a higher amount?

It's about $300k higher.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want the Spurs to drag this out as long as possible. spurfan isn't done blowing this out of all proportion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it is kinda fun watching the lone Ayres lover keep trying to convince everyone that Baynes isn't worth it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You people make me laugh. We're talking about the 13th-14th player on our roster, and you want the front office to lock itself in a closet and bid itself up. The front office has made the QO that makes Aron restricted. They shouldn't up that one DIME. If you go to the grocery store and your bill is $50, do you say "no, I'm paying you $60!" ?

Never go to Vegas, Ice. You'll come home wearing a barrel, and never have a clue why.
    Alright, what you've said is fair enough from the FO perspective, but why hasn't Baynes signed it? I assume that he wants more money, so why not give him a very slight raise? Are they really that tight. How about the question I asked - Is the qualifying offer more money then he made last season, if it is, then OK, I agree with leaving the offer there and seeing if he gets any higher offers from other teams. If the QO if a decent raise from what he got paid last season, then I can understand the FO strategy.

That could also be a bit risky though, what if another team offers him a lot more than the Spurs are willing to pay? I know you keep saying that he's a 13th-14th man, but this team is all about depth, resting players and managing minutes during the regular season. I don't think the Spurs can afford to lose a player that knows the system, can be a rotation player in those minute managing games/times and is likely to be pretty cheap to resign. Unless Baynes is after a lot more money, then I don't understand why you'd let him walk by not willing to give him a cent more.

I disagree about you grocery store analogy too. It's closer to this IMO - The Spurs have basically walked into the Grocery store, saw the price Baynes wanted, said they wanted to buy Baynes but gave a lower offer than the price listed (as they're not willing to pay the price that he wants), so at this point, they can't buy him.

It's about $300k higher.
    Thank-you very much. Well, in that case, I can see why the Spurs aren't willing to offer more. When I mentioned "a very slight raise", the number I was thinking of is about $500K on top of what he got paid last season. I figured that is a fair raise, with a chance to prove himself this season and to try raise his stock for the following off-season if he wants a bigger payday.

Also, I'll just add, I think the number he is looking for is close to what Ayres is getting paid. That's just a guess on my part, but I think that's the kind of number he's looking for to come back.
    Last edited by Ice009; 08-17-2014 at 10:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it is kinda fun watching the lone Ayres lover keep trying to convince everyone that Baynes isn't worth it.
    I would be perfectly happy if the Spurs jettisoned BaynesAyresDaye. None of them have any real effect on the outcome of games, positive or negative.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ah good ol penny pinching. The big three are old and getting brittle. Spurs have countered with depth and reduction of playing time and it has worked, but you have a long season with tough big players and Duncan will suffer. All you need is Duncan to get hurt and the season is over, this is the hidden role for Baynes - wear out the opposition big, tire him out and protect duncan when he is not on the floor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be perfectly happy if the Spurs jettisoned BaynesAyresDaye. None of them have any real effect on the outcome of games, positive or negative.
    So who do you replace them with? Do you want to play Duncan more minutes in the regular season?

Ah good ol penny pinching. The big three are old and getting brittle. Spurs have countered with depth and reduction of playing time and it has worked, but you have a long season with tough big players and Duncan will suffer. All you need is Duncan to get hurt and the season is over, this is the hidden role for Baynes - wear out the opposition big, tire him out and protect duncan when he is not on the floor.
    Great post. At least someone here is on the right track. For some reason, a lot of Spurs fans are acting like tightwads. You guys know that you don't actually work for the team, right? You don't have to take their views on pinching pennies for every single free agent out there (that's not directed at anyone in particular).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other aspect no discussed is you need fairness for team harmony if nothing else. The big three are great role models, but if you have a guy contributing and another guy on the roster is getting paid much more then keeping resentment out of the equation becomes an issue. Patty has been a great social leader for the group, but dynamics change when you are an aspirant to a le vs. being defending le holders. Pop's great strength as a coach is managing personalities, but if this is much harder then again effort gets wasted and you only need to go back two seasons to see that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other aspect no discussed is you need fairness for team harmony if nothing else. The big three are great role models, but if you have a guy contributing and another guy on the roster is getting paid much more then keeping resentment out of the equation becomes an issue. Patty has been a great social leader for the group, but dynamics change when you are an aspirant to a le vs. being defending le holders. Pop's great strength as a coach is managing personalities, but if this is much harder then again effort gets wasted and you only need to go back two seasons to see that.
    If Baynes feels that way, then he needs to go to Europe, or China or someplace else. The last roster jealousy led directly to Stephen Jackson's ejection from the roster right before the 2013 playoffs. It's not the Spurs responsibility to make sure their feelings aren't hurt, it's their own responsibility to get over themselves. If they don't, it's time to show them the door. Pop ain't having any of that .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who do you replace them with? Do you want to play Duncan more minutes in the regular season?

I was speaking in the hypothetical. If they find someone, and I'm sure they will next summer, those three guys are VERY replaceable.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Baynes feels that way, then he needs to go to Europe, or China or someplace else. The last roster jealousy led directly to Stephen Jackson's ejection from the roster right before the 2013 playoffs. It's not the Spurs responsibility to make sure their feelings aren't hurt, it's their own responsibility to get over themselves. If they don't, it's time to show them the door. Pop ain't having any of that .
    pffft you are joking are you not!? The issues is broader than one player it is about the dynamic within a team of people - parity, fairness and reward for effort are part of a club culture as much as a coaching necessity. Consider you have a group of young men with a limited earning period with the skill set they have. They know this and they know how cutthroat things are better than you or I ever will. Now they are asked to be committed to what they do, which is fine. But as a group you need a harmony, a focus to guide attention. These guys will spend more time than is normal with each other - so this stuff is important.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was speaking in the hypothetical. If they find someone, and I'm sure they will next summer, those three guys are VERY replaceable.
    yes if you believe in a lego like numbers system - which is not why the spurs won last season. Go and look at clips on youtube of all of the top ten teams play, but not the highlights - that's just fluff, watch the play. Don't look at the team play on the floor - that is not that important for this. Look at the bench reactions to the stuff happening on the floor, especially when it's not the superstar making the play. The teams that achieve or overachieve relative to the stats are the teams that are cohesive. What I saw with the Spurs was a team that were genuinely playing for each other and not the stat line or the individual glory. This was through the whole season, so when it came time to the playoffs they were cohesive and mentally tough...where OKC and Miami were not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pffft you are joking are you not!? The issues is broader than one player it is about the dynamic within a team of people - parity, fairness and reward for effort are part of a club culture as much as a coaching necessity. Consider you have a group of young men with a limited earning period with the skill set they have. They know this and they know how cutthroat things are better than you or I ever will. Now they are asked to be committed to what they do, which is fine. But as a group you need a harmony, a focus to guide attention. These guys will spend more time than is normal with each other - so this stuff is important.
    What parity? He's the 4th/5th/6th big on the roster, depending on matchups and will be getting paid accordingly. There isn't a single player on the roster the Spurs have bid against themselves on, so why should they do it for the 4th/5th/6th big? If some team offers him more than the Spurs are and they refuse to match, then you might have a point, depending on the offer he gets, but until then the Spurs have done exactly what they should have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair is letting the existing market decide Baynes' monetary worth. This part is in his agent's hands if he wants much more than the QO. It's pretty obvious he isn't worth much more than that or he would have been signed already. No team is going to bend over backwards to make an end of bench player feel "harmonious."

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure Baynes will be back with the Spurs this coming season. No worries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the Spurs would be willing to match any reasonable euro offers?...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes is currently the best player on their National team during the tune-up games for the FIBA World Cup. (OT: Exum sucks! LOL Bust!)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for Baynes, imo Pop has never given him a fair shot, instead he played a newcomer (Ayres) just because of the money they invested on him...

Baynes deserves a raise and his international play speaks for him.
    Last edited by Baam; 08-20-2014 at 06:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for Baynes, imo Pop has never given him a fair shot, instead he played a newcomer (Ayres) just because of the money they invested on him...

Baynes deserves a raise and his international play is speakers for him.
    Baynes is not getting a raise unless some other team gives it to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed. He's been getting better and deserves better than Austin Daye scrub money and deserves more playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [spurstalk]I'm smarter than PATFO![/spurstalk]

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don;t know why people sleep on Baynes. It's probably easier than ever for a big to get 10-12 points and 10 boards.

Some of yall s trippin'.

Thread Information