My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    He's got a really good point though.
    no he doesn't.

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    One has nothing to do with the other. You can argue that Rice's suspension was too leniant without bringing Josh Gordon into it at all.

BTW, Gordon is only being suspended. In a lot of other professions if you fail a drug test you get fired. So in a way he's getting off relatively easy.

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    You can't have it both ways...you can't CONSTANTLY cry racism and then not expect any backlash for it when something like this occurs. He has a point...whether you agree or not doesn't really matter.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    You can't have it both ways...you can't CONSTANTLY cry racism and then not expect any backlash for it when something like this occurs. He has a point...whether you agree or not doesn't really matter.
    his point is moot. ray uppercutting his fiance has nothing to do with racism.

i keep it consistent. when i see racism, i call it out(jordan dunn, icognito, sterling). only people upset about it are white supremacists but i don't really care how they feel.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    lets try not to derail the thread on personal vendetta's, please. thnx.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    Pretty obvious that someone was hoping to have Josh Gordon as their keeper

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    his point is moot. ray uppercutting his fiance has nothing to do with racism.

i keep it consistent. when i see racism, i call it out(jordan dunn, icognito, sterling). only people upset about it are white supremacists but i don't really care how they feel.
    is armenian considered white? geographically speaking its middle eastern. but you can view it as race based... the black dude getting off easy while the white guy got the hammer. fwiw i dont actually buy it, im just making a point.

if a black dude got an indefinite suspension for bullying a white guy youd say the white guy was a soft, geeky nerd... and if a white guy soon after got 2 games for woman-beating youd put some upset deadspin face

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    lets try not to derail the thread on personal vendetta's, please. thnx.
    Lol...whatever dork.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    So avante is ok with beating your wife as long as it's a one time deal.
    as long as you do it passionately. therein lines the key.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    So we can add woman beater to Avantes resume' now. Makes sense tbh. Fake tough guys usually beat up women.
    You must have missed all those times I've said.....ya treat the ladies with respect......little guy. No way in I've ever been around any situation where I had to get rough with a female. I don't live in that world.

So wrong as usual. I'd put here in a bear hug/run away if I had to. I could never hit a woman, never!

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    So avante is ok with beating your wife as long as it's a one time deal.
    Wouldn't expect any less from him, considering what he did in Olongopo....

Cue the "you don't know about sailors in a foreign country blah blah blah" rant that only serves to underscore his guilty conscience....

My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    ******s gonna nig

Post Count
    tbh thank god ray rice is black or else Trill would be having a hissy-fit
    Yeah, thats the first thing I thought. I was confused about why he was even posting this as I didn't see a race angle here

My Team
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Post Count
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...120025043.html

not surprising from Baltimore fans tbh

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Mike and Mike had that dude Adolpho or whatever from the League on, and he successfully ducked all the questions with the typical responses. You suspend a guy 4 games for taking fertility drugs to get his wife pregnant, this fool beats his wife on camera and gets nearly nothing.

The NFL is trying to justify using the amount of money he loses by not playing those two games as the real punishment.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    St. Louis Rams
    Post Count
    Ray Rice Fight Academy or Ray Rice Uppercut...hmmm

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count

Roger Goodell defends Ray Rice ban

Updated: August 1, 2014, 2:41 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Goodell Defends Rice Suspension

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell defended the NFL's two-game suspension of Ravens RB Ray Rice.Tags: NFL, Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens

Roger Goodell defended the NFL's two-game suspension of Ray Rice, saying that domestic violence is "not acceptable" but emphasizing that the length of the ban is "consistent" with other punishments issued by the league.
    Goodell spoke Friday at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, addressing the media for the first time since the NFL announced Rice's controversial suspension last week.

"We have a very firm policy that domestic violence is not acceptable in the NFL, and there are consequences for that," the commissioner said. "Obviously, when we are going through the process of evaluating an issue and whether there will be discipline, you look at all of the facts that are available to us."
    Goodell also fielded multiple questions about the widespread public reaction to the length of Rice's suspension, which has been criticized as lenient compared to other NFL suspensions for substance abuse and off-field incidents.
    "We have to remain consistent," he said. "We can't just make up the discipline. It has be consistent with other cases, and it was in this matter."
    Goodell was asked about the length of Rice's suspension in contrast to the four-game ban that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger received in 2010 for violating the league's personal-conduct policy.
    Citing Rice's previously unblemished track record, Goodell reiterated that the NFL considers a player's history when determining the length of personal-conduct suspensions.
    "If it's their first offense, someone who has had a strong background of being very responsible in the community and doing the right things and not violating either policies or anything else that would reflect poorly on the NFL, then we take that into account," Goodell said. "When there's a pattern, we also take that into account on the other side."

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/John RaouxNFL commissioner Roger Goodell defended the length of Ray Rice's suspension, saying that the league is "consistent" in its punishment.

Goodell also dismissed the idea that Rice's ban was short compared to drug-related suspensions, which he attributed to the league's collective bargaining agreement.
    "You've got to deal with the facts, OK?" he said. "Now when we have a drug program that's collectively bargained, and it has a step process, it takes four incidents before you actually reach a suspension in a drug-related case. So you have to respond to facts here.
    "You know, you have a lot of people voicing their opinions, but I think it's important to understand that this is a young man who made a terrible mistake. [The suspension] is inconsistent with what we're all about and we've dealt with it in a serious manner and we're very confident that this young man understands where he is and what he needs to do going forward."
    Rice was arrested on Feb. 15, when he allegedly struck then-fiancée Janay Palmer unconscious during an altercation at an Atlantic City hotel. Video surfaced online showing Rice dragging an apparently unconscious Palmer out of an elevator. The couple has since married.
    Rice pleaded not guilty to a third-degree charge of aggravated assault and avoided trial by being accepted into a pretrial intervention program in May. The NFL announced last Thursday that Rice would be suspended for the first two games of the upcoming regular season and fined three game checks.
    "I take into account all of the information before I make a decision on what the discipline will be," Goodell said. "In this case, there was no discipline by the criminal justice system.
    "They put him in that diversionary program, and I had seen Ray after that. I had the opportunity to hear from him, hear from his wife and hear from other people that he had brought into the hearing process, and I put all of that together to make a decision."
    Rice took questions for the first time since the incident on Thursday, apologizing to his wife and all women affected by domestic violence.
    "I made the biggest mistake of my life," the Baltimore Ravens running back said. "My actions that night were totally inexcusable."
    Goodell praised Rice for taking responsibility for his actions.
    "I was also very impressed with Ray in the sense that Ray is not only accepting the issue and saying I was wrong, but he is saying I want to make a powerful difference in this area," Goodell said. "I think you heard from him yesterday -- he's a young man who really understands the mistake he made and he's bound and determined to make a difference."

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Keith Olbermann calls for the resignation of Roger Goodell:

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    Piers Olbermann is insuferrable

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count

My Team
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Post Count
    Ray Rice has the best timing ever...or the NFL has the worst.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    Goodell with the master trolljob tbh

My Team
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Post Count
    Goodell with the master trolljob tbh
    Never have words been so true....

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Not that I disagree with the new rules. I mean, just don't go around abusing people, and it's all good. But they better mean that you have to be convicted of domestic violence to get the ban. Too often, these cases remain in a gray area where neither guilt nor innocence is really established. Rice's case never went to trial. So technically, he wasn't convicted of anything. Sure, there was a video and all that, but that's rare in these cases.

Supposedly Terrell Suggs had a similar issue a few years ago with his then-girlfriend (now-wife). He threw something on her (gasoline, maybe?). Case never went to court, and Suggs was not disciplined by the league. How would today's NFL handle it? If they suspend so harshly based on mere su ion, they may well find themselves in a lot of legal trouble.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    It has nothing to do with timing. Goodell did this because of the Rice incident. Had Ray snuffed out the cameras first, no one would be questioning the NFL's policies regarding domestic violence.

Thread Information