My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hoping to stem the recent surge of migrants at the Southwest border, the Obama administration is considering whether to allow hundreds of minors and young adults from Honduras into the United States without making the dangerous trek through Mexico, according to a draft of the proposal.

If approved, the plan would direct the government to screen thousands of children and youths in Honduras to see if they can enter the United States as refugees or on emergency humanitarian grounds. It would be the first American refugee effort in a nation reachable by land to the United States, the White House said, putting the violence in Honduras on the level of humanitarian emergencies in Haiti and Vietnam, where such programs have been conducted in the past amid war and major crises.

Critics of the plan were quick to pounce, saying it appeared to redefine the legal definition of a refugee and would only increase the flow of migration to the United States. Administration officials said they believed the plan could be enacted through executive action, without congressional approval, as long as it did not increase the total number of refugees coming into the country.

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/wo...honduras-.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    google "la bestia"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    uhhhh....don't get on the train? That seems like a pretty reasonable and safe option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    u scared? call 911.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    uhhhh....don't get on the train? That seems like a pretty reasonable and safe option.
    is Honduras a reasonable and safe place to be right now?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    St Ronnie and his Repugs, as they in USA, got the ball rolling in Central America 30 years ago.

"The United States was heavily involved in wars in Nicaragua, El Salvador and Guatemala in the 1980s in what Reagan described as an effort to stem Soviet influence in the hemisphere. The United States spent more than $4 billion on economic and military aid during El Salvador's civil war, in which more than 75,000 people were killed, many of them civilians caught in the crossfire.

The United States also organized Nicaragua's contra guerrillas, who fought that country's revolutionary Sandinista government. Reagan referred to contras as "the moral equivalent of the Founding Fathers" and the United States spent $1 billion on them; the fighting in Nicaragua killed as many as 50,000 people. Honduras was a staging ground for U.S. Nicaraguan operations.

Reagan also supported the repressive military dictatorship of Guatemala, where more than 200,000 people, mostly indigenous peasants, died over 36 years of civil strife.
    Reagan's support never led to a final battlefield victory in the region. Opposing sides negotiated peace in El Salvador and the Sandinistas were voted out of office in Nicaragua. But the same divisive sentiment about Reagan that existed a generation ago persists today.

But for others, Reagan was an anti-communist zealot, whose obsession blinded him to the human rights abuses of those he supported with funding and CIA training.
    "He was a butcher," said Miguel D'Escoto, who was foreign minister in Nicaragua's Sandinista government. D'Escoto, speaking by telephone from Managua, said "brutal intervention" by the United States under Reagan left "the whole country demoralized."

He said another Reagan legacy was that "Nicaragua continues to have people tied to U.S. apron strings. For some people, the lesson of the '80s is that you can do nothing without U.S. approval or you will have trouble."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Jun9.html

Just like the dubya/ head/Repug in Iraq, the Repug toxic legacy of pure continues for DECADES.

but ... but ... but ... "It's ALL Obama's fault"

Thread Information