My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK why anyone is against Brucie's retirement

We'd be light 3 with out him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is the future of course his jersey will be retired, but as some other posters said there will be too many jerseys hanging up there, it seems Spurs retired some jerseys as a ¨friendly compliment¨ and now they have 7 jerseys, add to that the big 3 and you have 10.
    They should add Patty´s jersey and call it quits, or unretire some useless names (Silas, Moore, Johnson).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a team ever runs out of 1 or 2 digit numbers (which seems unlikely given that the standard for jersey retirement would be raised significantly with each retired jersey after a certain point), I could see teams allowing players to add a letter into the mix like "1A" or "4F" or whatever.
    I was more addressing the banners, they would run out of room, I am a proponent of only the truly great players getting retired, like Duncan, Robinson, Gervin, Pop (is that allowed?), Tony, and Manu (maybe Silas) but nobody else

I refuse to act with common decency Dizzle's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kawhi, danny, splitter, patty ... all locks for retire jersey if they stay the rest of their career in SA (must have atleast 7 yrs with SA)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kawhi, danny, splitter, patty ... all locks for retire jersey if they stay the rest of their career in SA (must have atleast 7 yrs with SA)
    The standards should be raised for retirement, Leonard should be the only player in the discussion and he is a long ways away. However, based off of the Avery standard, you are probably right

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was more addressing the banners, they would run out of room, I am a proponent of only the truly great players getting retired, like Duncan, Robinson, Gervin, Pop (is that allowed?), Tony, and Manu (maybe Silas) but nobody else
    I agree with you on retiring only the greatest players.

I imagine they would deal with the rafters situation similar to the way Boston has done:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Green is changing his jersey number to 14 so they can retire his number 4 next season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had no clue Johnson's jersey was retired. That's grasping for straws. He might be a better coach than he was as a player. He was about as good if not slightly better than Speedy Claxton. Shrugs. Nothing special at all.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine how good Kawhi is going to be with 4 or 5 seasons under his belt. The future is bright, indeed!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayres should have his jersey retired immediately...with him in it.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Four more years at this level of play, along with a few all defensive teams will do it. If he were to win Finals MVP again next year that would also do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Green is changing his jersey number to 14 so they can retire his number 4 next season?
    nahh, it's because they are retiring Finley's!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop (is that allowed?)
    Knicks have Red Holzman's number of wins (613) in the rafters at MSG. Surprised they don't include playoff wins in that count too. I wonder when the Spurs do it if he gets credit for those games he let Coach Bud coach. Won't have the same debate with that Boylen game as he forgot about Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It goes without saying. I doubt this thread will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Thread Information