Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if this has been posted yet, but i was curious whether Anderson held work outs with the Spurs. Needless to say, CIA Pop and CIA Buford went to work lol

http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2...ith_spurs.html

The selections were called out one after the other — as last night’s NBA draft crept toward its third hour — and Kyle Anderson still had not heard his name. His dad thought he might get picked as high as No. 15 by Atlanta, but the choices had trickled into the late 20s, with Anderson still sliding.

Then, at No. 30, the final pick of the first round, the drama came to an abrupt end as the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs finally selected Anderson, the former St. Anthony High of Jersey City and UCLA star.

What had been an agonizing wait in a Harlem restaurant became instant euphoria for Anderson and his family. Not only had he fulfilled his life-long dream of getting drafted. But Anderson realized he had also been picked by a championship organization that emphasizes ball movement and team play — two of Anderson’s strengths.

“I know I’m going to a great organization,” Anderson said. “My ability to pass the ball and share the ball with my teammates and my knowledge for the game really gives me an advantage to come in and fit well with that team. I’m just happy with it overall.”

An All-Pac-12 first-team selection last season, the 6-9, 230-pound Anderson averaged 14.6 points, 6.5 assists and 8.8 rebounds while leading UCLA to the Sweet 16. Despite solid numbers, some NBA scouts feared Anderson lacks the athleticism and defensive ability to thrive in the league. In fact, despite Anderson being UCLA’s leader, Bruins teammates Zach LaVine (No. 13 to Minnesota) and Jordan Adams (No. 22 to Memphis) were picked ahead of him last night.

But Anderson’s dad, Kyle Sr., and his high school coach, Bob Hurley, said Anderson has always found ways to succeed despite limited athleticism because of his natural feel for the game and basketball IQ, which are off the charts. He’s a coach’s son — Kyle Sr. coached at St. Peter’s College and Ferris and Snyder high schools — who was raised in the gym with an unquenchable thirst for the game.

Anderson went 65-0 and won two state championships and two Tournament of Champions les over his junior and senior seasons at St. Anthony. As a senior, he was named The Star-Ledger’s state boys basketball player of the year.

“His game will translate to the NBA the same way it did when the doubters doubted him on the college level, when the doubters doubted him on the high school level,” Kyle Anderson Sr. said. “Production. It will translate into production. Playing with a team like San Antonio that’s about passing, getting teammates involved — that’s a tremendous setting for him.”

Hurley, the legendary high school coach, called San Antonio an “exceptional” fit for Anderson.

“Here he is now going to the best team in the sport and with the best coach in the sport and an opportunity to learn from guys who truly get it,” Hurley said. “Kyle has been taught to handle the ball and look to pass, so he already philosophically is part of the way the Spurs play. He’s not a one-on-one player. He gets rebounds, assistants, steals. That’s the kind of players that they plug in their lineup.”

Anderson said he wasn’t surprised the Spurs selected him, but noted he did not work out for the team and had no contact with them before the draft, beyond an interview at the combine in Chicago. He said he’ll head to San Antonio July 5 to meet with team officials.

In the meantime, Anderson and his dad were out to lunch yesterday in New Jersey, making plans to get into the gym and hit the mall to buy some Spurs gear.

“We’re going to get back in the gym this afternoon and start working out so that he’s in the best shape of his life going down to San Antonio,” Kyle Anderson Sr. said. “Most people after the draft day get to sit back and think about it, but me and him are back at work.”

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean Elliott was interviewed today about Kyle Anderson while signing autographs at South Park Mall.

He was real excited about him and said the Spurs got the steal of the draft, that he saw him play college ball last year three times, and calls him a poor mans' Magic Johnson.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean Elliott was interviewed today about Kyle Anderson while signing autographs at South Park Mall.

He was real excited about him and said the Spurs got the steal of the draft, that he saw him play college ball last year three times, and calls him a poor mans' Magic Johnson.

Even a homeless mans magic johnson would be great.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    lol how cool would it be to be in a situation like Kyle Anderson Sr.? Being your pro athlete sons trainer, mentor, and biggest fan. in cool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson will play THIS year, and probably more than people think. He's a coaches son, and has a veteran's understanding of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After the draft, RC Buford said the Spurs had 20 guys with 1st round grades and when it came time for SA to pick one of those 20 was still on the board----Kyle Anderson. He said the reason the didn't work him out was because they never thought he would be available at 30.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After the draft, RC Buford said the Spurs had 20 guys with 1st round grades and when it came time for SA to pick one of those 20 was still on the board----Kyle Anderson. He said the reason the didn't work him out was because they never thought he would be available at 30.
    In the draft of the decade...the Spurs only graded 20 guys as first round material. Yeah, they have different standards than the rest of the league.

If I ever won a HUGE lottery jackpot, I think I would offer $1M every year that RC is in charge to be in the war room and see their draft board, with 100% penalty clauses built into a non-disclosure agreement.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson will play THIS year, and probably more than people think. He's a coaches son, and has a veteran's understanding of the game.
    I get that feeling, too. I just mentioned in another thread. Hope you don't mind coat-tailers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If I ever won a HUGE lottery jackpot, I think I would offer $1M every year that RC is in charge to be in the war room and see their draft board, with 100% penalty clauses built into a non-disclosure agreement.
    to be a fly on the wall in some of the rooms the biggest franchise decisions were made? damn. wonder how intense it was during the hill > leonard switch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that feeling, too. I just mentioned in another thread. Hope you don't mind coat-tailers.
    He knows where everyone is on the floor, even when they move. You can't teach or coach that. It's a gift that you either have or you don't, like vertical leap.

My favorite play in his UCLA Sop re highlights was a fast break where he spun once between the circles, and spun a second time in the paint, then executed a no look bounce pass to a guy he hadn't had vision of since he crossed the 3 point arc. He spun right the second time, and dropped the pass to a man on the left block. He just knew where the guy was going to be. It took my breath away, and I've been watching bball for over 30 years.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes me wonder what the Spurs would have done if all 20 were off the board. Did they have a team lined up to trade the pick to, perhaps for a couple of second rounders or a future heavily protected first?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes me wonder what the Spurs would have done if all 20 were off the board. Did they have a team lined up to trade the pick to, perhaps for a couple of second rounders or a future heavily protected first?
    Lots of teams were looking for picks late in the first round in this draft. We probably could have gotten a good second and a future first in the 20s. SA might have also drafted and stashed a Euro. Glad it didn't come to that, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "A poor man's Magic Johnson" is way too much of a compliment. Probably a disease-ridden, homeless, and welfare-reliant Magic Johnson cast into abject poverty.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He knows where everyone is on the floor, even when they move. You can't teach or coach that. It's a gift that you either have or you don't, like vertical leap.

My favorite play in his UCLA Sop re highlights was a fast break where he spun once between the circles, and spun a second time in the paint, then executed a no look bounce pass to a guy he hadn't had vision of since he crossed the 3 point arc. He spun right the second time, and dropped the pass to a man on the left block. He just knew where the guy was going to be. It took my breath away, and I've been watching bball for over 30 years.

I reposted that very clip from PTR on ST. Something special, wasn't it? We do differ on whether that vision can be taught and learned. Things are rarely only nature or nuture. You definitely have to have some innate ability, but I think it is something that is cultivated over a lifetime, too. You can't teach it to a player when they're 20. But, a coach's son, or just a kid that has an early appreciation for the pass. I know you are not a Daye fan, but I see a little of that in him, too. Being an NBA player's son, it makes some sense. They've had years and years of good tutelage.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was little playmaker Stevie Nash notably fast?

I doubt speed will be KA's top problem as a rookie.

He's a great playmaker with enough shot to keep the defense honest, and enough height and board crashing habit to rebound well for a PG/SG.

You greedy mofos sure know how to look a gift horse in the mouth.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was little playmaker Stevie Nash notably fast?

I doubt speed will be KA's top problem as a rookie.

He's a great playmaker with enough shot to keep the defense honest, and enough height and board crashing habit to rebound well for a PG/SG.

You greedy mofos sure know how to look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Little Stevie was super quick.

Anderson does know the game. It's apparent. He just may not be athletic enough.
    I think it was a great pick though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol how cool would it be to be in a situation like Kyle Anderson Sr.? Being your pro athlete sons trainer, mentor, and biggest fan. in cool.
    If I was kyle I would fire the out of my pops because I have the build of a pre-teen girl and the stamina of a 900 pound diabetic. His dad is lucky that his kid got tall. 6 foot kyle anderson wouldnt have made his high school team

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

STOP POSTING

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's really somewhat the same. You can't teach an idiot to play smart no matter how hard you try. The analogy with leaping ability is sound, in that regard. But, to what degree a person can learn it, it is still often neglected and uncultivated, and by the time they're 20, they've been playing stupid for ten years, and unteaching stupidity is difficult. Even if they had an innate ability to begin with.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's really somewhat the same. You can't teach an idiot to play smart no matter how hard you try. The analogy with leaping ability is sound, in that regard. But, to what degree a person can learn it, it is still often neglected and uncultivated, and by the time they're 20, they've been playing stupid for ten years, and unteaching stupidity is difficult. Even if they had an innate ability to begin with.
    This is really the dumbest thing Ive ever seen, and Im a troll. so take it for what its worth. you dont just wake up at age six and have court vision, you practice, and get reps. Similarly you dont just go out after sitting on your ass for years and dunk a basketball weighing 400 pounds.

The lack of logic and excess of ignorance is astounding.

I averaged roughly 9 assists per game in high school, I couldnt dunk. Now I can dunk(same height), but cant pass nearly as good as I used to. Why is that? Because I magically had gifts and then switched them?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot Kyle played at St Anthony for Bob Hurley. You can see high school Anderson in some of this 60 Minutes story on Hurley; he's wearing #5. There is actually quite of bit of Kyle Anderson in this video.

Last edited by baseline bum; 07-27-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of all the people on the board, I am not surprised that you are the one confused by this. Take that for what it's worth. Among many things, you don't understand what innate ability is. I will use mathematics as an example. Some people are born with an innate ability to do mathematics. The ability may reside there, untapped, through life until death. Uncultivated. The person may never learn how to do much more than rudimentary arithmetic. He may be a cabbage farmer in China. That same person may learn complex mathematics and yet their skills may wane with little practice. The difference comes when comparing two people. One with more innate ability in the skill, and one with less. With the same practice and experience, the one with greater innate ability has higher highs and higher lows. The one with less innate ability has lower highs and lower lows. It doesn't mean one will always be better than the other, depending upon conditions, they could even be equal. The same applies to leaping ability, or a myriad other things. With equal training and use/environment the two mathematicians will not be equal, just like with equal training Mike Miller in his prime will not out vertical leap Michael Jordan in his prime.

How we answer what happened to you is an anecdotal case. It depends on specifics. It is possible that you understood the game better when you were younger. There could have been traumatic brain damage, lead poisoning, etc. But, judging by your posts, you are pretty stupid, now. It's really an unfair exercise to ask me to diagnose how you became so stupid without more information. But, at least you can still dunk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From St. Anthony to St. Anthony (San Antonio).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Do you happen to have a youtube video of the said move? If so, post please!

Thread Information