Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, got it.

Eh, I'm skeptical. Anybody the s around with stock Android as much as Samsung does is going to make a ton of changes to 5.0 before they roll it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, got it.

Eh, I'm skeptical. Anybody the s around with stock Android as much as Samsung does is going to make a ton of changes to 5.0 before they roll it out.
    Meh

Its not like Lollipop is gonna add features OEM phones don't already have anyway

In fact Google has been adding OEM features to stock Android over the last few years

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Ah, got it.

I hope they roll it out as stock

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh

Its not like Lollipop is gonna add features OEM phones don't already have anyway

In fact Google has been adding OEM features to stock Android over the last few years
    For one thing, I'd rather have the stock security options in Lollipop than that Knox horse .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For one thing, I'd rather have the stock security options in Lollipop than that Knox horse .
    Disabled Knox, non issue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disabled Knox, non issue
    The question is if Samsung will not include the new stock security features.

If they scrap that for Knox, they're setting themselves up to get ass-reamed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question is if Samsung will not include the new stock security features.

If they scrap that for Knox, they're setting themselves up to get ass-reamed.
    Why?
    (Srs question tbh)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why?
    (Srs question tbh)
    Samsung has seen and is well aware of how effective Apple is in keeping customers. This is because these customers, once fully immersed in Apple's ecosystem, have decreased motivation to abandon it for a completely new user experience.

Samsung wants to achieve that same level of customer loyalty, so they've been trying to set up their own specific ecosystem, separate from Google's, to capture those buyers of Samsung phones.

Why do this? Look at the PC and laptop market. When one company dictates the OS these OEMs put in their hardware and does not allow for variations, it becomes a race to the bottom. There's no brand loyalty in that kind of situation. Google is well-aware of this, so while they have made AOSP itself a bit more of a walled garden, they haven't and won't lock out variations entirely because they know that will drive off the OEMs and curtail the mass use of Google services that they want.

Because Google won't let its native apps be removed from Android phones without ejecting the offending OEM from the Open Handset Alliance, Samsung won't entirely succeed in creating a wholly separate ecosystem until they stop using Android, but they know that leaving the Android ecosystem entirely right now will just them over, because their third-party app market just can't compete with Google Play at this point.

Overall, it's kind of a stalemate between Google and Samsung on this. Google doesn't want Samsung to leave, so they allow as much of the OS as they can to be messed around with, and Samsung wants to be independent of Google but can't yet, so they shove as much proprietary apps as they can into their Android phones and hope that sets them up further down the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't help either that Samsung's proprietary apps are hit-or-miss in terms of quality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't help either that Samsung's proprietary apps are hit-or-miss in terms of quality.
    Thats true

But I love their camera app

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nexus 6 launch =Nexus 4 launch all over again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nexus 6 launch =Nexus 4 launch all over again
    Yeah, it's been a bit of a cluster .

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samsung has seen and is well aware of how effective Apple is in keeping customers. This is because these customers, once fully immersed in Apple's ecosystem, have decreased motivation to abandon it for a completely new user experience.

Samsung wants to achieve that same level of customer loyalty, so they've been trying to set up their own specific ecosystem, separate from Google's, to capture those buyers of Samsung phones.

Why do this? Look at the PC and laptop market. When one company dictates the OS these OEMs put in their hardware and does not allow for variations, it becomes a race to the bottom. There's no brand loyalty in that kind of situation. Google is well-aware of this, so while they have made AOSP itself a bit more of a walled garden, they haven't and won't lock out variations entirely because they know that will drive off the OEMs and curtail the mass use of Google services that they want.

Because Google won't let its native apps be removed from Android phones without ejecting the offending OEM from the Open Handset Alliance, Samsung won't entirely succeed in creating a wholly separate ecosystem until they stop using Android, but they know that leaving the Android ecosystem entirely right now will just them over, because their third-party app market just can't compete with Google Play at this point.

Overall, it's kind of a stalemate between Google and Samsung on this. Google doesn't want Samsung to leave, so they allow as much of the OS as they can to be messed around with, and Samsung wants to be independent of Google but can't yet, so they shove as much proprietary apps as they can into their Android phones and hope that sets them up further down the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grabbed the new Gmail (5.0) APK on Androidpolice

Pretty nice tbqh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Do you guys have a comparison of the Nexus 6 and the Note 4. Thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you guys have a comparison of the Nexus 6 and the Note 4. Thanks
    yes

lol Nexus 6

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    yes

lol Nexus 6
    seriously now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You haven't found any intereresting or unbiased Nexus 6 vs Note 4 articles on tech blogs?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You haven't found any intereresting or unbiased Nexus 6 vs Note 4 articles on tech blogs?
    I wouldn't be asking if I already found one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then you know my position on this one

For the size and price I would rather go for the Note 4 tbqh

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nexus 9 getting on left and right htc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nexus 9 getting on left and right htc
    Why tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crappy build quality, shipped with buggy-as- pre-production 5.0 software.

For a tablet costing at least $400, you'd think they'd at least have tried to make it worth that price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait for the formal reviews of the N6 to come out.

I've already done a comparison on my end. Again it comes down to whether you really need the stylus functions or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, there seem to be wildly differing opinions so far, based on the summary of all available reviews to date:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...xus_9_reviews/

To be safe, just wait for Anandtech to publish their review.

Thread Information