Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only is this boring news, but I can't think that most men playing basketball are less inclined to listen when a girl is telling them what to do. I'm not saying its right; I'm just saying there is a culture in the NBA, and without Pop's aura and veterans that will support her, I think it would go south pretty fast. Say, if this were the Kings or some team like that, it would end badly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only is this boring news, but I can't think that most men playing basketball are less inclined to listen when a girl is telling them what to do. I'm not saying its right; I'm just saying there is a culture in the NBA, and without Pop's aura and veterans that will support her, I think it would go south pretty fast. Say, if this were the Kings or some team like that, it would end badly.
    Is Scott Brooks a tranny then? Has trouble getting through to Russ most of the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hammon vs Messina to coach the Spurs first time Pop is ejected this season. I predict Hammon.

Crowned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, according to ESPN, the first was quite a while back. Lisa Boyer was on John Lucas' staff in Cleveland in 2001-2002.
    Lisa Boyer was a volunteer - never paid, so technically Hammon is the first coach hired.

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you underestimate the professionalism of NBA players in the modern league with respect to their treatment of coaches' backgrounds. 10 years ago I'd be inclined to agree with you that some players wouldn't accept a female coach. 20 years ago, certainly. But in today's league I don't think very many players would have a problem with a coach if he or she does their job well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most men playing basketball are less inclined to listen when a girl is telling them what to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good on her. Also, sometime in February when the Spurs are blowing the out of Minnesota or Boston or someone and the starters haven't seen the court since the first half they should sneak her onto the court and make her the first woman player in the NBA full stop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny thing is, Becky probably isn't even the first coach to give a blow job.
    Jerry Sandusky.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you underestimate the professionalism of NBA players in the modern league with respect to their treatment of coaches' backgrounds. 10 years ago I'd be inclined to agree with you that some players wouldn't accept a female coach. 20 years ago, certainly. But in today's league I don't think very many players would have a problem with a coach if he or she does their job well.
    Ray Rice?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice move....cia Pop and KGB Becky....I ing love this!!!!

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Ray Rice is an NFL player and football players in general seem to be a lot less receptive to anything that challenges the perception of football being a "man's sport." I'm sure the NBA has a few bad apples who don't respect women, but I doubt any NBA team's players as a whole would react negatively to hiring a female coach if said female coach was good at coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “She’s been perfect,” Popovich says in that clip. “She knows when to speak, and she knows when to shut up. A lot of people don’t figure that out.”

The perfect woman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to disagree with this, tbh..

Even with the advancements in today's society, I'd say there's virtually no chance that a locker room full of men will take orders from a woman coach..I can't even imagine it..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She looks like a woman who doesn't take any tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Even with the advancements in today's society, I'd say there's virtually no chance that a locker room full of men will take orders from a woman coach..I can't even imagine it..
    Kind of agree with you although I can see Pop forcing the Spurs onboard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, you're a ing moron. Says more about you than anything else, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Ray Rice is an NFL player and football players in general seem to be a lot less receptive to anything that challenges the perception of football being a "man's sport." I'm sure the NBA has a few bad apples who don't respect women, but I doubt any NBA team's players as a whole would react negatively to hiring a female coach if said female coach was good at coaching.
    Dude. Plenty of NBA players disrespect women. Be it physical abuse like Felton or Jason Kidd or the many players that get women pregnant and then ignore them or avoid them. Usually they'll pay child support while they are making money, but once they retire, they stop paying child support and that is where you see many, many cases filed regarding failure to pay child support, and that includes Spurs players. There is a disrespect for women all around. That's why Charlie Strong had to make it one of his rules.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I would have loved to have seen Pat Summit get an opportunity with the Boys...she is one person I believe could pull it off without question.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She looks like a woman who doesn't take any tbh.
    That sounds tough, but I'd like to see her coach Demarcus Cousins. When millionaire/talented basketball player doesn't want to respect you, the organization will take the side of the player almost always, and with very few exceptions. Yes, I know that some players don't even respect male coaches, but I bet there are a lot more NBA players that wouldn't respect a female coach in the NBA, much more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sounds tough, but I'd like to see her coach Demarcus Cousins. When millionaire/talented basketball player doesn't want to respect you, the organization will take the side of the player almost always, and with very few exceptions. Yes, I know that some players don't even respect male coaches, but I bet there are a lot more NBA players that wouldn't respect a female coach in the NBA, much more.
    That wouldn't happen on the Spurs so really what's the point... Besides players kill their male coaches all the time in the nba...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol wow what a pussie liberal move, you pop and your gy liberal agenda..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you're a ing moron. Says more about you than anything else, tbh.
    no, it says that you've never been in a male locker room, tbh..

She'll be fine as an assistant coach with the Spurs, but there's virtually no chance that she would succeed as a Head Coach in the NBA..

Pro sports haven't even transitioned to sexual male athletes yet(even a fringe player like Michael Sam is generating a ton of controversy), let alone female ing coaches..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That wouldn't happen on the Spurs so really what's the point... Besides players kill their male coaches all the time in the nba...
    I do think the Spurs are one of the only, if not the only, teams where this would fly. And I say that because Pop rules the team and no one would cross him. Also, all the veteran players will do what Pop says and most tend to be forward thinking anyway. That said, most teams don't have an influence as strong as Pop's, and so my comments stand in general. I wasn't saying it won't work with the Spurs, I was saying I don't see it as a larger trend, at least not for a long time, if ever. But it's also boring news because other than this debate, I don't really care. I'd prefer us do something exciting, like signing a quality free agent. Instead, we are stuck adding assistant coaches.

Thread Information