Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious, though:

- I already get nagged and ed at by my girl at home, why would I want to come to practice every day to get nagged by my female coach?..coach Hammond is going to yell at me because I forgot my socks on the bench?..she's going to give me the silent treatment for a week because I didn't high-five her during a game, tbh?..

- I'm a pro basketball player, and you expect me to take basketball advice from a ing woman?..have you s ever watched a WBNA game?..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, it says that you've never been in a male locker room, tbh..

She'll be fine as an assistant coach with the Spurs, but there's virtually no chance that she would succeed as a Head Coach in the NBA..

Pro sports haven't even transitioned to sexual male athletes yet(even a fringe player like Michael Sam is generating a ton of controversy), let alone female ing coaches..
    The world is more advanced than you want it to be. There may be problems here or there but these are people making millions of dollars and if owners tell them to deal, they'll deal. They have women reporters and others around them all the time.

The problem, as with Michael Sam and other similar situations, is usually the coaches and older heads like Tony Dungy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious, though:

- I already get nagged and ed at by my girl at home, why would I want to come to practice every day to get nagged by my female coach?..coach Hammond is going to yell at me because I forgot my socks on the bench?..she's going to give me the silent treatment for a week because I didn't high-five her during a game, tbh?..

- I'm a pro basketball player, and you expect me to take basketball advice from a ing woman?..have you s ever watched a WBNA game?..
    Great, now I feel like an idiot for replying to you. Good luck with your head in the sewer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    s gonna run a train on that punany in the lockerroom

even in road games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not a feminazist, quite the opposite, but tbh I'm just glad because I like Becky in particular and I think she could do well...

Regarding the wnba, it does suck but players like Becky and McBride at least have skills that I can respect, saw that on twitter the other day :

That's pretty cool imo, good shooting is good shooting... Now the women who dominate with strength are the worst and there's nothing impressive about it... Kinda like in women soccer, when Japan won the world cup it was great cause they played some beautiful soccer with their midgets against the huge US monkeyballers...

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if this is insurance in case someone hires Mesinna away before Pop retires?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A female coach would go over just fine as long the team is winning. It would take a unique set of players though, and obviously a unique personality as a female coach. But once the losses start piling up, she would become just "some chick" who doesn't belong. It's already hard enough to get players to respect male coaches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if this is insurance in case someone hires Mesinna away before Pop retires?
    I firmly believe Udoka will succeed Pop. If Becky plays her carfs cards right, she may end up as his second or maybe even Messina's in a couple of years when he leaves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Making progressive acquisitions is the only way the Spurs can get any media attention. First they go with a foreign assistant coach, then the first women assistant coach, and I guess the final free agent acquisition will be Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Making progressive acquisitions is the only way the Spurs can get any media attention. First they go with a foreign assistant coach, then the first women assistant coach, and I guess the final free agent acquisition will be Collins.
    no to Collins. The Spurs aren't attention s like the Nets are. They'd have no issue signing a gay player. But he couldn't be an attention-seeking scrub like that dude is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I firmly believe Udoka will succeed Pop. If Becky plays her carfs cards right, she may end up as his second or maybe even Messina's in a couple of years when he leaves.
    I can 100% promise you that Becky will not be the head coach if/when Pop leaves. In fact, I doubt Udoka is either. I bet they go outside the current crop. Maybe a Messina if he proves he can coach on a high NBA level, but other than that, they won't give the reins to Becky for sure, and pretty sure Udoka won't get them either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can 100% promise you that Becky will not be the head coach if/when Pop leaves. In fact, I doubt Udoka is either. I bet they go outside the current crop. Maybe a Messina if he proves he can coach on a high NBA level, but other than that, they won't give the reins to Becky for sure, and pretty sure Udoka won't get them either.
    We frankly, completely and totally disagree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is still gonna coach for at least 3 years imo so who knows how Udoka and Becky will be viewed at that point...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is still gonna coach for at least 3 years imo so who knows how Udoka and Becky will be viewed at that point...
    I'm legitimately worried that Udoka will be stolen by the time Pop leaves. He'll get offers to be the main assistant on another team soon, just like Monty Williams did. The organization seems to consider Ime a star in the making. As far as Becky goes, I think she can make HC one day, but I can't see that happening quickly. She'll need to build her resume slowly and under multiple coaches. Besides being a woman, she's also incredibly young, as far as coaches go.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are probably the best environment for female asst coach because of Pop's presence. His word is the law and any player who doesn't agree with that is welcome to stfu, be benched, or be traded.

I think it also helps that Becky has one of the best resumes in the WNBA and is already part of the San Antonio community. We also know Parker is friends with her, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn some other players are her friends too.

Smart is smart, gender has little to do with it. And she's smart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think she'll make the most of the opportunity. All it takes is one success to change people's minds. And then the rest will be like the rednecks of the world, refusing to change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think anyone has to worry about this current crop of Spurs dealing with her signing. She already mixes well with them, if last year is any indication. If she didn't, Pop would not have made this move.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Udoka may be on someone's interview list because he is a Spurs assistant, and that gets hype around the league. Right now, because of the Spurs reputation, it's the "smart" move, even if Spurs assistants have had varying degrees of success, and a good portion of them I wouldn't want coaching the Spurs. And not to bag on Becky because I have no idea if she will make a good coach or not, but I think the perception of a women coach in the NBA among a majority of the NBA players would be negative regardless of how smart she is. And even if they put on a public persona like they want her as a coach, behind the scenes when they are out of the media scrutiny, they will be Dwight Howarding her. She may know her X and O's, but there is a lot more to the NBA than drawing up plays, and it takes real respect from players to follow a coach during a tough time in the season. I'm not sure they would look to a woman at that time. And I'm not saying that's okay, I'm just saying that's my impression of the league.

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude. Plenty of NBA players disrespect women. Be it physical abuse like Felton or Jason Kidd or the many players that get women pregnant and then ignore them or avoid them. Usually they'll pay child support while they are making money, but once they retire, they stop paying child support and that is where you see many, many cases filed regarding failure to pay child support, and that includes Spurs players. There is a disrespect for women all around. That's why Charlie Strong had to make it one of his rules.
    As I said before, there are certainly a few bad apples who disrespect women, but I can't name any teams as a whole that would outright reject a good female coach just for being female. Not a single team in the NBA. Least of all the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    she's probably already better than the bald oaf we call the lead assistant

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in before fire becky threads tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky was already around the team for almost all of last season, so there wont really be any transition in terms of the team being around her and vice versa.

Hopefully this signals the beginning of the end of Boyan and Ayres with him.

Udoka isnt leaving the Spurs unless its to becoming a head coach somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker's reaction to the news:

Parker with his iconic stare.
    it will be like the Penn State case, someone will walk into the showerroom once they hear "flesh slapping" sounds.

overall though, I think it's an interesting and good hire. crazy to think how the Spurs have become more mainstream the last few years, their uniqueness and progressive style celebrated more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only is this boring news, but I can't think that most men playing basketball are less inclined to listen when a girl is telling them what to do. I'm not saying its right; I'm just saying there is a culture in the NBA, and without Pop's aura and veterans that will support her, I think it would go south pretty fast. Say, if this were the Kings or some team like that, it would end badly.
    Few decades ago, someone would say the White men playing basketball or in any kind of environment were less inclined to listen a black man. Can you figure what you are saying? There's something called hiearchy in a group of apes or in a well structured group of people. In the first case, the stronger, the bravest has the command; in civilized envinronment, the one in bed to give order has it. Simple like that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said before, there are certainly a few bad apples who disrespect women, but I can't name any teams as a whole that would outright reject a good female coach just for being female. Not a single team in the NBA. Least of all the spurs.
    If an NBA team outright rejected a good female coach, they would be attacked by the media and political correct movement and NOW. So they wouldn't outright reject, they just would never find a reason to hire, but the underlying reason would be, in my opinion, they don't want women head coaches. An assistant coach for some teams could work because they don't demand the same respect. But a head coach...I just see it as highly, highly unlikely.

Thread Information