Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Few decades ago, someone would say the White men playing basketball or in any kind of environment were less inclined to listen a black man. Can you figure what you are saying? There's something called hiearchy in a group of apes or in a well structured group of people. In the first case, the stronger, the bravest has the command; in civilized envinronment, the one in bed to give order has it. Simple like that.
    Well, maybe in a few decades, there will be a female head coach in the NBA. I think we are a long way off from that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great.. Male vs. female debate... Really...?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people aren't giving women enough credit here. There will be female assistant coaches that are so good that they will earn the respect of players and have no problem becoming head coaches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, a lot of you sound like you've never been in a male locker room, tbh..

The Most Sexy Troll on the Interwebs Hemotivo's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that if there is any doubts about Becky cappabilities, will be more related to the fact that she doesn´t have any NBA experience, not because of her gender or her intelligence.

The off the chart habilities of NBA players, affect the way you coach beyond X and O´s, and coaches in the NBA have been competing against this talent almost their entire careers. This is the same problem Messina could face.

Lucky for them, the Spurs are the one team where, if given the time, they can work it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that if there is any doubts about Becky cappabilities, will be more related to the fact that she doesn´t have any NBA experience, not because of her gender or her intelligence.

The off the chart habilities of NBA players, affect the way you coach beyond X and O´s, and coaches in the NBA have been competing against this talent almost their entire careers. This is the same problem Messina could face.

Lucky for them, the Spurs are the one team where, if given the time, they can work it out.
    In all honesty, I haven't seen one person bring up the experience factor. It's all "WOO HOO, GO BECKY!"

But it's actually pretty important when you think about it. Really, Becky becoming a coach doesn't seem much different than when Avery Johnson or Jason Kidd become coaches - and both of them failed at it. I trust in Becky a little more because she seems well composed, but technically her coaching repe ion is an open question.

, I'd even say the fact the Spurs signed her plays a factor. When the NBA Champions with the best coaching staff bar-none hire a female, it seems like a great move. But if a team like Minnesota or Detroit did it, everyone would probably be laughing at how ' made' they are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Standing Ovation For Spurs:

If you’re looking for yet another reason to love the San Antonio Spurs, the team’s latest hire might just help your cause.

On Tuesday, the reigning NBA champions announced they had hired Becky Hammon as an assistant coach. Yes, you read that correctly. The six-time WNBA All-Star and beloved San Antonio Star will join the coaching staff after she retires at the end of the season.

I will now give you a moment to do your favorite celebratory dance or find the hand-clapping emoji on your phone.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-li...-ovation-spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so how long until this gets knocked up by Marco?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #belichamp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ummm... Pop didn't have any NBA experience, when he was hired. She knows the game as well as anybody.

Will everybody accept her? Well take a look back at the reception Violet Palmer got as an NBA official. She survived, and eventually even Charles Barkley apologized for some of his comments. But there are still fans (some of them here on SpursTalk) who about her as a referee. She's as good as nearly every other official in the NBA - some people will never accept her because she's a woman in a "man's sport". And then there was Dee Kantner, the other female NBA official, who got fired. She was no worse than a lot of other new officials, but she was perceived as "weak" - mostly because she wasn't butch enough.

Becky Hammon has done enough to earn a shot. There's no guarantee that her experience will translate into coaching. But if she doesn't work out, it won't be because she's a woman, or because she's lacking in her understanding of the NBA game. If she's got the goods (as a coach), the players will listen to her. If she doesn't, they won't. And there will always be fringe assholes who will never accept her. Different strokes.

Some people aren't giving women enough credit here. There will be female assistant coaches that are so good that they will earn the respect of players and have no problem becoming head coaches.
    This, right here. Ultimately, winning is more important to compe ive athletes. Some would rather make a point, but most of them will never wear a championship ring. Most will listen to someone worth listening to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well... the PR boost for the Spurs will certainly be robust. Interesting to see the media reaction.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all honesty, I haven't seen one person bring up the experience factor. It's all "WOO HOO, GO BECKY!"

But it's actually pretty important when you think about it. Really, Becky becoming a coach doesn't seem much different than when Avery Johnson or Jason Kidd become coaches - and both of them failed at it. I trust in Becky a little more because she seems well composed, but technically her coaching repe ion is an open question.

, I'd even say the fact the Spurs signed her plays a factor. When the NBA Champions with the best coaching staff bar-none hire a female, it seems like a great move. But if a team like Minnesota or Detroit did it, everyone would probably be laughing at how ' made' they are.
    Clearly, when someone like Popovich trust her, is because there might be serious talent to be seen, but is a more risky move that to hire Avery Johnson or Kidd, because those guys (like all ex players who became coaches) competed against the best under the NBA rules all their careers, Becky Hammond and Messina didn´t.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is a great hire. Becky will do very well and the players will welcome her and respect her. I'm curious about coach messina. Don't know him personally but he strikes me as someone that believes women have a certain place in society.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ummm... Pop didn't have any NBA experience, when he was hired. She knows the game as well as anybody.

Will everybody accept her? Well take a look back at the reception Violet Palmer got as an NBA official. She survived, and eventually even Charles Barkley apologized for some of his comments. But there are still fans (some of them here on SpursTalk) who about her as a referee. She's as good as nearly every other official in the NBA - some people will never accept her because she's a woman in a "man's sport". And then there was Dee Kantner, the other female NBA official, who got fired. She was no worse than a lot of other new officials, but she was perceived as "weak" - mostly because she wasn't butch enough.

Becky Hammon has done enough to earn a shot. There's no guarantee that her experience will translate into coaching. But if she doesn't work out, it won't be because she's a woman, or because she's lacking in her understanding of the NBA game. If she's got the goods (as a coach), the players will listen to her. If she doesn't, they won't. And there will always be fringe assholes who will never accept her. Different strokes.

This, right here. Ultimately, winning is more important to compe ive athletes. Some would rather make a point, but most of them will never wear a championship ring. Most will listen to someone worth listening to.
    The post you're responding to (the first one) is talking about Hammond becoming a head coach, not an assistant. Pop had years of experience under coaching legends by the time he got the big chair.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ummm... Pop didn't have any NBA experience, when he was hired.
    Sure, but Popovich was not hired by a championship team, on the other hand the bar for Becky is set really high. I don´t think the core of the spurs will have a problem with her beeing a woman, they will have a problem if her takes are less than great, because they are aiming to nothing more that another championship.

Anyway, is a risky move by Popovich, and not for her beeing a woman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great ing organization

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently, I stand corrected.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About 2 minutes after she wanders through the locker room and gets a look at his long, thick Italian sausage.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy crap!
    This is making World TV News on just about every station!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dat ing beta crybaby?

Well, at least, she can't be worse than Vinny Del Negro, McHale and Byron Scott

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure Whoopi Goldberg was the first female NBA coach tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew there would be sexist comments in this thread, but some of you are actually serious about it? off. The NBA has apparently moved on from sexism, unlike you gots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information