Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    There will be a whole new board led by the powers of each of the five conferences voting on matters and governing each other. If all four others are doing it, the fifth one will too.

Especially if they only start playing teams within the "power five".

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Although there is still a possibility that the "power five" could still morph into the 4 super conferences that have been heavily discussed before but I doubt it. It just makes sense to have four 16 team super conferences with the winner of each conference representing them in a 4 team playoff. But as of right now this seems to solidify the five conferences for now.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    A few points I want to hit upon.

1. The NCAA is fighting for their lives right now, this vote is an appeasement to the schools in the P5 conference to not leave. if they leave they get to keep all the money and make all the rules.

2. Since this has become an issue the NCAA has not placed a single school from a P5 conference on probation. Not surprising since they are trying to not provoke the dog to bite them. Anyone actually think none of those schools have not done anything wrong?

3. For the rich schools like Texas, this has the making of releasng the Kracken, basically there will be nothing to hold back a school like Texas from giving every kid anything they want.

4. Remember when the NCAA put the handcuffs on the LHN, you can bet that those will be coming off pretty quickly.

5. If the Big 12 does chose to get a championship game, you can bet it will be done without having to add new members.

6. You can also bet that no new members will be added to any P5 conference unless it means added money to their TV contract. The one exception to this will be Notre Dame, if they are forced to join, you can bet every conference will be lining up to get them.

7. I can see the LHN morphing into a Big 12 network if and only if Texas gets a better cut from the deal, and I actually think it's going to happen.

8. P5 rule changes I can see happening. Increase in scholarship limits, slush funds, Making legit the hundred dollar handshakes, killing all those stupid rules about where the coaches can take a recruit to dinner. high school games on conference/team sports channels. Recruiting is going to become a huge part of the programming on the conference channels.

9. The playoffs is about to expand to about 8 teams very soon.

10 College football will never be the same.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    There will be a whole new board led by the powers of each of the five conferences voting on matters and governing each other. If all four others are doing it, the fifth one will too.

Especially if they only start playing teams within the "power five".
    that's not a logical conclusion at all, especially if the big 12 stay at 10 teams.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    7. I can see the LHN morphing into a Big 12 network if and only if Texas gets a better cut from the deal, and I actually think it's going to happen.
    What makes you think the other schools would give up their current tier 3 deals?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    3. For the rich schools like Texas, this has the making of releasng the Kracken, basically there will be nothing to hold back a school like Texas from giving every kid anything they want.
    Maybe, just depends on what kind of rule changes the P5 conferences are willing to pass and how hard they will be governing these rules.

5. If the Big 12 does chose to get a championship game, you can bet it will be done without having to add new members.
    If any issue like this comes to a vote of the "power 5" commissioners, the vote would easily be passed in a 4-1 motion. If a new board is made up of representatives of the power five conferences, this doesn't solely become the big12's decision anymore. These issues will be discussed amongst all the conferences. And as it currently stands, I'd bet that the other four conferences feel the big12 has it a little easier at the moment.

6. You can also bet that no new members will be added to any P5 conference unless it means added money to their TV contract. The one exception to this will be Notre Dame, if they are forced to join, you can bet every conference will be lining up to get them.
    You're right that it is all about the money as well know. I could see the big12 adding more members if they feel it's necessary but the days of poaching members from one of the power five conferences are gone. Everyone has a seat at the table if they are in one of the five conferences so any new potential members will have to come from outside it.

8. P5 rule changes I can see happening. Increase in scholarship limits, slush funds, Making legit the hundred dollar handshakes, killing all those stupid rules about where the coaches can take a recruit to dinner. high school games on conference/team sports channels. Recruiting is going to become a huge part of the programming on the conference channels.
    Easily the most interesting and controversial part of all this. Unsure how this will play out and how the governing board of the "Power Five" will feel about these issues.

10 College football will never be the same.
    Pretty much. Once it all gets settled it could be a pretty good setup though. The NCAA is a in mess and I have faith the conferences can essentially run themselves better. Only thing is the day of actually caring about academics is gone. All about athletics.

Will be also interesting to see how basketball and baseball adapt to this.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Poor AAC and MWC schools.

So close, yet so far.

lolUTSA may as well just concentrate on academics now so Rice isn't embarrassed around us.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Neither Boise nor utsa has any shot of joining the big 12, SEC, or big 10.

can't see utsa getting invited to ACC.

Boise would be a natural geographical fit for Pac 12 expansion, plus their brand name gives them the edge over utsa.

And if the Pac were to expand, into Texas, seems to me they'd take SMU over utsa.
    Currently, no. I think when anyone brings up UTSA we are talking 15-20+ years from now--facilities need to be built and the academics need to continue improving. But the landscape could be completely different by then so the odds are still stacked against us.

Boise State otoh has had about as much success as you can ask for at the G5 level. If anybody wanted them they would've snatched them up by now. Their academic standards are far from being a good fit for the PAC12. I think they may have plateaued.

Look up pictures of SMU attendance over the past couple of years. I can't see a school with such ty fan support getting called up. I think UTSA will be right behind UH for the best G5 program in Texas in the near future tbh.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    UCF also has a load of students. I haven't looked but I'm thinking 55k.
    Yeah, I think they're like the 2nd-3rd largest in the country. UTSA isn't exactly a small school though. Don't think enrollment would hinder us tbh.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Currently, no. I think when anyone brings up UTSA we are talking 15-20+ years from now--facilities need to be built and the academics need to continue improving. But the landscape could be completely different by then so the odds are still stacked against us.

Boise State otoh has had about as much success as you can ask for at the G5 level. If anybody wanted them they would've snatched them up by now. Their academic standards are far from being a good fit for the PAC12. I think they may have plateaued.

Look up pictures of SMU attendance over the past couple of years. I can't see a school with such ty fan support getting called up. I think UTSA will be right behind UH for the best G5 program in Texas in the near future tbh.
    If Houston were where El Paso or even Lubbock is, I think the Pac 12 would look hard at them.

I think attendance is a very small factor in conference expansion. Right now it's all about the TV deals and the Pac would make some nice bank hitting up that DFW market.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Poor AAC and MWC schools.

So close, yet so far.

lolUTSA may as well just concentrate on academics now so Rice isn't embarrassed around us.
    lol self hate

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    If Houston were where El Paso or even Lubbock is, I think the Pac 12 would look hard at them.

I think attendance is a very small factor in conference expansion. Right now it's all about the TV deals and the Pac would make some nice bank hitting up that DFW market.
    Market >> attendance, for sure.

But I think there's gotta be a line drawn for acceptable attendance. SMU struggled to hit 10k most of the season.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Market >> attendance, for sure.

But I think there's gotta be a line drawn for acceptable attendance. SMU struggled to hit 10k most of the season.
    I wonder what kind of deal they could make with Jerry to have all their home games at att stadium.

that would guarantee 4-5 Pac 12 games there every year.

Seems to me that would turn the commissioner's head their way.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Their on-campus stadium is like 10 years old tbh.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    More like realism. The pursuit of a P5 slot was always dubious at best.

Getting shut out of that for good might be the best thing that could happen.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    More like realism. The pursuit of a P5 slot was always dubious at best.

Getting shut out of that for good might be the best thing that could happen.
    The AAC is a realistic, short-intermediate term possibility. You get there and there's still good money to be made, on top of being the triple A conference for the P5.

Good thing UTSA and the city aren't self-hating s like you.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    The AAC is a realistic, short-intermediate term possibility. You get there and there's still good money to be made, on top of being the triple A conference for the P5.

I don't think those at UTSA ever planned to be in a P5 conference.

If they can achieve a $50 million budget without an obscene subsidy, I'm all for it.

As it is, the budget is $25 million with an obscene subsidy.

I really don't understand why people like you an BuddyHolly have to freak out whenever someone isn't in full chamber of commerce booster mode.

Tell me how to get UTSA to even an Iowa State level of funding and I'll be on board. It might be more difficult than you think.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Yeah, Hickey hasn't done anything to suggest she is content with being small time. She's actually been the complete opposite with some of her ballsy decisions.

The program is entering its fourth year and you wanna talk about realism? Allow it some time to grow before you look down on the budget or go all negative nancy on its aspirations. If decades from now we are in the same place we are now then self hate all you want.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Their on-campus stadium is like 10 years old tbh.
    Well if they're happy with their 32k stadium, then they're going to have to be content to be left out of the P5.

It's funny, I would have thought I would be seeing schools going full desperation mode right about now, scrambling to see what it would take for a conference to add them.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Yeah, Hickey hasn't done anything to suggest she is content with being small time. She's actually been the complete opposite with some of her ballsy decisions.

The program is entering its fourth year and you wanna talk about realism? Allow it some time to grow before you look down on the budget or go all negative nancy on its aspirations.
    What are its aspirations?

I had never heard anything explicitly stated beyond C-USA.

Show me the program's stated aspirations. Show me how it will grow to an Iowa State level of funding without a huge subsidy from the school and its students.

This chart is a little simplistic, but it's easy to determine a ballpark figure for a public school's athletic program if it wants to be in a P5 program:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ools/finances/

All but about three of the P5 schools have both:

1) A budget above $50 million.

2) Subsidies less than 20% of that amount.

If UTSA has a master plan to break into the P5, I'd love to see it. None of the previous goals or plans were secret, so saying further plans are secret would be disingenuous at this point.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

False hope is a waste of time and emotion, imo.

now as for the Oakland Raiders moving to SA? ya, I'm all in! Where can I donate money for it?

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Louisville got added to the ACC, IIRC

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Yeah, I remembered and edited. Their numbers made that a no brainer.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    AAC

Where UH, SMU, UCF, USF, UConn, etc are at.

edit: nvm

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    What are its aspirations?

I had never heard anything explicitly stated beyond C-USA.

Show me the program's stated aspirations. Show me how it will grow to an Iowa State level of funding without a huge subsidy from the school and its students.

This chart is a little simplistic, but it's easy to determine a ballpark figure for a public school's athletic program if it wants to be in a P5 program:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ools/finances/

All but about three of the P5 schools have both:

1) A budget above $50 million.

2) Subsidies less than 20% of that amount.

If UTSA has a master plan to break into the P5, I'd love to see it. None of the previous goals or plans were secret, so saying further plans are secret would be disingenuous at this point.
    The preferred destination was CUSA back when the plan was to start off in the Southland, and before the conference got gutted by realignment.

Those initial plans changed when opportunities presented themselves and they can change again if the program takes off.

Thread Information