Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    AAC

Where UH, SMU, UCF, USF, UConn, etc are at.

edit: nvm
    Confusing, I know -- but their budget ($90+ million, ~12% subsidy) is solidly P5 level. They earned their place in the ACC.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Confusing, I know -- but their budget ($90+ million, ~12% subsidy) is solidly P5 level. They earned their place in the ACC.
    Did you know the program is 4 years old? Noone is claiming UTSA is ready to make a jump at this exact moment.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    The preferred destination was CUSA back when the plan was to start off in the Southland, and before the conference got gutted by realignment.

Those plans changed when opportunities presented themselves and they can change again if the program takes off.
    Since no opportunity has presented itself, what have the plans changed to?

C-USA was the explicitly stated goal.

Is there a different explicitly stated goal now?

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Did you know the program is 4 years old? Noone is claiming UTSA is ready to make a jump at this exact moment.
    I told you the ballpark figure it will take to make the jump.

What is the plan to make that jump?

Is there a plan to make that jump?

Is there even a desire to make that jump among those who would make such a plan?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...an rust-case

In a landmark decision, a federal judge ruled Friday that the NCAA is in violation of the nation's an rust laws by restricting the compensation that major college football and men's basketball athletes can receive for use of their names, images and likeness.

U.S. District Court Judge Claudia Wilken, in a 99-page decision that followed a contentious three-week trial in June, wrote, "The Court finds that the challenged NCAA rules unreasonably restrain trade in the market for certain educational and athletic opportunities offered by NCAA Division I schools."

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

If your product blows up you adjust to accommodate. The plan was already drastically changed once, not sure why you act like changing it again would be an issue.

I don't have any 'proof' bc I don't know how the program will progress. Your argument isn't any different than mine bc you don't know either.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

If your product blows up you adjust to accommodate. The plan was already drastically changed once, not sure why you act like changing it again would be an issue.
    The stated goal never changed. It was always C-USA. Maybe it could be the AAC some time in the future, but UTSA fits in the C-USA geographically and fiscally at this time.

I don't have any 'proof' bc I don't know how the program will progress. Your argument isn't any different than mine bc you don't know either.
    i have already stated what it will take to realistically move to P5.

I follow the business side of lolUTSA fairly closely and I have seen nothing suggesting a new goal of any kind conference-wise, much less P5.

Any change now will be slow in coming. UTSA has to increase its budget and lower the percentage of that budget subsidized by the school if it wants to move to the next AAC/MWC level. I consider even that to be a long shot. There is no incentive for the P5 to let any other schools in save BYU and Notre Dame -- and I don't know think any current AAC/MWC teams can realistically make a move into the P5 from a money standpoint. On the contrary, having this kind of division might be a relief to many of the programs who will feel less pressure to subsidize their programs so heavily to keep up.

If you have any quote from anyone connected with the program saying a P5 berth was the goal of the program, feel free to post a link to it. I never read any such quote and do not believe that was ever the goal.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    The stated goal never changed. It was always C-USA. Maybe it could be the AAC some time in the future, but UTSA fits in the C-USA geographically and fiscally at this time.
    And if 5 years ago I would've told you that in 2014 we'd be a full fledged FBS program and a member of CUSA, you'd be posting the same crap.

Goals can change to accommodate growth. That's not some kind of novelty.

i have already stated what it will take to realistically move to P5.

I follow the business side of lolUTSA fairly closely and I have seen nothing suggesting a new goal of any kind conference-wise, much less P5.

Any change now will be slow in coming. UTSA has to increase its budget and lower the percentage of that budget subsidized by the school if it wants to move to the next AAC/MWC level. I consider even that to be a long shot. There is no incentive for the P5 to let any other schools in save BYU and Notre Dame -- and I don't know think any current AAC/MWC teams can realistically make a move into the P5 from a money standpoint. On the contrary, having this kind of division might be a relief to many of the programs who will feel less pressure to subsidize their programs so heavily to keep up.

If you have any quote from anyone connected with the program saying a P5 berth was the goal of the program, feel free to post a link to it. I never read any such quote and do not believe that was ever the goal.
    Of course there isn't statements detailing a plan to move up. How many programs have one of those, especially 4 year old ones?

Your argument is based on an assumption that all things will remain the same at UTSA. Considering the strides we've made on and off the field just in the past decade I'm not sure why you think that makes any sense.

Obviously its up for debate whether it will grow enough to be considered for a P5 slot. I wouldn't bet on it. But I do think it's pretty safe to say that some growth will be achieved.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Also not sure why you are pimping the MWC. Their TV deal and markets aren't any better than CUSA's.

You need to cut down on the self hate.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    And if 5 years ago I would've told you that in 2014 we'd be a full fledged FBS program and a member of CUSA, you'd be posting the same crap.

Goals can change to accommodate growth. That's not some kind of novelty.
    But the goal from the start was C-USA. It was always a realistic goal. Only the timeline changed.

Of course there isn't statements detailing a plan to move up. How many programs have one of those, especially 4 year old ones?
    There was a stated plan to move to FBS and C-USA.

Your argument is based on an assumption that all things will remain the same at UTSA. Considering the strides we've made on and off the field just in the past decade I'm not sure why you think that makes any sense.
    Numbers are numbers. No one has ever shown any realistic plan to move up to p5 even in theory. I have provided links to the type of funding P5 schools have. It's up to the boosters to show how achieving those numbers is possible.

Obviously its up for debate whether it will grow enough to be considered for a P5 slot. I wouldn't bet on it. But I do think it's pretty safe to say that some growth will be achieved.
    So since you actually agree with me, why the rancor?

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Also not sure why you are pimping the MWC. Their TV deal and markets aren't any better than CUSA's.
    I'm not pimping anything. The programs in the MWC and AAC are an a level above that of UTSA. If UTSA is to move up, they have to achieve that level of funding to begin with.

You need to cut down on the self hate.
    You need to cut down on the ad hominems. Especially the ones that are nonsensical. It does nothing for your argument and comes across as immature. It's a big reason others make fun of UTSA fans here and never take them seriously.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    smh there was a stated plan for the move to FBS bc the program was just starting up. Its the standard to state what classification you intend to be. It's a whole other thing to be in a G5 conference and explicitly state when you plan to move up to P5--way too many unknowns for that to be possible.

I don't agree with you.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    I'm not pimping anything. The programs in the MWC and AAC are an a level above that of UTSA. If UTSA is to move up, they have to achieve that level of funding to begin with.

You need to cut down on the ad hominems. Especially the ones that are nonsensical. It does nothing for your argument and comes across as immature. It's a big reason others make fun of UTSA fans here and never take them seriously.
    What schools? Show me the numbers and how they compare to CUSA's. For the MWC, I agree about the AAC.

Calling your own school lolutsa isn't immature?

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    smh there was a stated plan for the move to FBS bc the program was just starting up. Its the standard to state what classification you intend to be. It's a whole other thing to be in a G5 conference and explicitly state when you plan to move up to P5--way too many unknowns for that to be possible.

I don't agree with you.
    The criteria for P5 are stunningly obvious. The numbers have been linked and interpreted for you.

The plan would be to achieve the level and proportion of funding in line with most P5 schools.

That's why I named specific bottom feeder P5 public schools and asked what is UTSA's plan to have the kind of funding they have.

That's what they need to get into the P5. That is what they need to plan if they want to join the P5.

I personally don't think there are any plans to even try to get into the P5. My evidence is the lack of any plan to get into the P5 or even state such an entry as a long term goal.

If you have any evidence P5 is the long term goal of anyone in power at UTSA, post it.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    What schools? Show me the numbers and how they compare to CUSA's. For the MWC, I agree about the AAC.
    So you didn't look at the link I provided and explicitly told you can do exactly what you are demanding of me. Go look back at my posts and get the link yourself.

Calling your own school lolutsa isn't immature?
    It's satire. Does it upset you?

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    The criteria for P5 are stunningly obvious. The numbers have been linked and interpreted for you.

The plan would be to achieve the level and proportion of funding in line with most P5 schools.

That's why I named specific bottom feeder P5 public schools and asked what is UTSA's plan to have the kind of funding they have.

That's what they need to get into the P5. That is what they need to plan if they want to join the P5.

I personally don't think there are any plans to even try to get into the P5. My evidence is the lack of any plan to get into the P5 or even state such an entry as a long term goal.

If you have any evidence P5 is the long term goal of anyone in power at UTSA, post it.
    What do these stunningly obvious numbers prove other than the fact that UTSA is currently not on par with P5 schools? Something which nobody is disputing btw.

Has the program peaked? Will those numbers stay the same? If the answer is no then UTSA's 2013 numbers won't mean decades from now.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    So you didn't look at the link I provided and explicitly told you can do exactly what you are demanding of me. Go look back at my posts and get the link yourself.
    Hmm, looks like they do have an edge. Can you do the average revenue, expenses and percent subsidized for the three conferences? I'd do it myself but not at home right now.

It's satire. Does it upset you?
    Satire of what? What the program has done in four years is unprecedented for a start-up, far from satire material.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    What do these stunningly obvious numbers prove other than the fact that UTSA is currently not on par with P5 schools? Something which nobody is disputing btw.
    Proves just how far they have to go and how difficult it will be. Do you understand?

Has the program peaked? Will those numbers stay the same? If the answer is no then UTSA's 2013 numbers won't mean decades from now.
    What are you saying is UTSA's potential? Say it right now.

I am saying it will not be P5.

Hmm, looks like they do have an edge. Can you do the average revenue, expenses and percent subsidized for the three conferences? I'd do it myself but not at home right now.
    You can do it anywhere and anytime. The numbers aren't going anywhere.

Satire of what? What the program has done in four years is unprecedented for a start-up, far from satire material.
    It was a satire of people who derided UTSA.

Now it is a satire of irrational, immature UTSA fans.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Proves just how far they have to go and how difficult it will be. Do you understand?

Link to anything I said that came close to suggesting they are close or will easily get there?

What are you saying is UTSA's potential? Say it right now.

I am saying it will not be P5.
    I think it's bright. How bright I'm not sure. I already said if I had to bet I wouldn't bet on getting to P5. Now the AAC I'd bet we do.

Its all speculation though. Not sure why you think your opinion holds more weight bc your throwing out numbers that won't mean anything in a decade or two.

You can do it anywhere and anytime. The numbers aren't going anywhere.
    smh

AAC: 47,959,488...47,905,613...43.5%
    MWC: 36,802,078...37,332,236...48.2%
    CUSA: 26,959,662...26,596,806...61.7%

Expenses>Revenue for the MWC apparently. Although that would probably be the case for CUSA too with a lower subsidy. I'm wondering if basketball is the difference, since they're a much better basketball conference. Im just not seeing that big of a separation in football--could be wrong though.

UTSA got an invite to the MWC and chose CUSA back in the day btw. I don't see them as a clear step up like I do the AAC tbh.

It was a satire of people who derided UTSA.

Now it is a satire of irrational, immature UTSA fans.
    And how exactly does that extend to the football program?

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

Link to anything I said that came close to suggesting they are close or will easily get there?
    You cite it as more of a possibility than anyone here an have gotten upset when shown evidence to the contrary.

I think it's bright. How bright I'm not sure. I already said if I had to bet I wouldn't bet on getting to P5. Now the AAC I'd bet we do.

Its all speculation though. Not sure why you think your opinion holds more weight bc your throwing out numbers that won't mean anything in a decade or two.
    Your speculation is based on nothing. At least I looked up something. You didn't even click the link I provided.

smh

AAC: 47,959,488...47,905,613...43.5%
    MWC: 36,802,078...37,332,236...48.2%
    CUSA: 26,959,662...26,596,806...61.7%

Expenses>Revenue for the MWC apparently. Although that would probably be the case for CUSA too with a lower subsidy. I'm wondering if basketball is the difference, since they're a much better basketball conference. Im just not seeing that big of a separation in football--could be wrong though.

UTSA got an invite to the MWC and chose CUSA back in the day btw. I don't see them as a clear step up like I do the AAC tbh.
    It's a clear step up in the funding, as you clearly demonstrated. Which is what we have been talking about all along. There are plenty of reasons to choose C-USA over MWC for a program like UTSA. Better parity in (lower) funding could have easily been one.

And how exactly does that extend to the football program?
    Irrational immature lolUTSA fans talk about lolUTSA football here.

Does the term upset you?
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 08-09-2014 at 08:05 AM.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    You cite it as more of a possibility than anyone here an have gotten upset when shown evidence to the contrary.
    Link to where I got upset? Also giving UTSA a slight chance at reaching P5 as opposed to none, does not mean I think they are close or that it would be an easy road. Stop making stuff up it makes you look like an irrational, immature lolutsa fan.

Your initial comment was that UTSA might as well shutdown the program btw--selling your team short per usual. Do you realize how many G5 teams would love to have the things UTSA has going for them? That's were you went full re , you thinking we won't reach P5 I have no issues with.

Your speculation is based on nothing. At least I looked up something. You didn't even click the link I provided.
    And guess what those numbers will mean as the program continues to grow? Nothing.

There's plenty of reasons to think UTSA has a bright future, actually. Most people and media see that but of course you don't since you have that self-hate thing going on.

It's a clear step up in the funding, as you clearly demonstrated. Which is what we have been talking about all along. There are plenty of reasons to choose C-USA over MWC for a program like UTSA. Better parity in (lower) funding could have easily been one.
    Geography was by far the biggest reason Hickey chose CUSA. Your reason is just dumb. You are actually implying UTSA has such a small-time mindset that it chose CUSA over the richer MWC bc the current budget doesn't stack up to theirs. How many schools would even do that? lol self hate

Irrational immature lolUTSA fans talk about lolUTSA football here.

Does the term upset you?
    Bro you use the term whether there are UTSA fans around or not. There's 2-3 around the boards aside from me and you. Talking about the SEC Network: 'Oh I'm just glad lolutsa ALMOST has all their games televised.'

No. It does sound pretty pathetic coming from an alumnus though.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Link to where I got upset?
    the name calling gave you away.

Also giving UTSA a slight chance at reaching P5 as opposed to none, does not mean I think they are close or that it would be an easy road. Stop making stuff up it makes you look like an irrational, immature lolutsa fan.
    So tell us how you think they can get to P5. don't be immature and irrational about it.

Your initial comment was that UTSA might as well shutdown the program btw--selling your team short per usual. Do you realize how many G5 teams would love to have the things UTSA has going for them? That's were you went full re .
    That is an outright lie. Why are you lying? That's being irrational and immature.

Here is my first post in full:
    Poor AAC and MWC schools.

So close, yet so far.

lolUTSA may as well just concentrate on academics now so Rice isn't embarrassed around us.
    Nothing at all about shutting down the program.

You need to apologize for lying and being so immature and irrational.

And guess what those numbers will mean as the program continues to grow? Nothing.
    Actually money means everything here. That's why there is a P5 in the first place.

There's plenty of reasons to think UTSA has a bright future, actually. Most people and media see that but if course you don't since you have that self-hate thing going on.
    I never said the future isn't bright. You're lying again. it's amazing how much you have to resort to such irrational and immature tactics because you are angry that you think I am threatening your dream by posting on a message board.

Geography was by far the biggest reason Hickey chose CUSA. Your reason is just dumb. You are actually implying UTSA has such a small-time mindset that it chose CUSA over the richer MWC. How many schools would even do that? lol self hate
    Schools that felt they didn't have the funding to compete and travel in a far flung conference could easily make such a decision.

Anyone thinking rationally can see that a division including three in-state rivals and others in Louisiana and Mississippi is much easier on a relatively small budget compared to a division where the school in Albuquerque is the closest rival.

Geography + lower costs + budget parity = easy C-USA choice.

Bro you use the term whether there are UTSA fans around or not. There's 2-3 around the boards aside from me and you. Talking about the SEC Network: 'Oh I'm just glad lolutsa ALMOST has all their games televised.'

No. It does sound pretty pathetic coming from an alumnus though.
    It's upsetting you, so I will continue to use it.

lolUTSA.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    the name calling gave you away.

So tell us how you think they can get to P5. don't be immature and irrational about it.
    What name calling?

It's dependent on how the program progresses, I've said this already. Tell me how giving us a slight chance implies I see an easy road or think we are close to getting there?

That is an outright lie. Why are you lying? That's being irrational and immature.

Here is my first post in full:

Nothing at all about shutting down the program.

You need to apologize for lying and being so immature and irrational.
    Ok, so what exactly were you trying to say the next step for the program should be?

Actually money means everything here. That's why there is a P5 in the first place.
    Money from the current year means everything. 20 years from now money from 2013 won't be current, now will it?

I never said the future isn't bright. You're lying again. it's amazing how much you have to resort to such irrational and immature tactics because you are angry that you think I am threatening your dream by posting on a message board.
    lol dream

What do you see in store for UTSA in the future, Chumpie? Aside from no P5 of course.

Schools that felt they didn't have the funding to compete and travel in a far flung conference could easily make such a decision.

Anyone thinking rationally can see that a division including three in-state rivals and others in Louisiana and Mississippi is much easier on a relatively small budget compared to a division where the school in Albuquerque is the closest rival.

Geography + lower costs + budget parity = easy C-USA choice.
    Funding is likely to increase if you enter a bigger league. ECU's budget wasn't on par with AAC's. Didn't stop them from jumping. It's a stupid notion on your part.

It's upsetting you, so I will continue to use it.

lolUTSA.
    It's very upsetting.

lol immature

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    What name calling?
    The AAC is a realistic, short-intermediate term possibility. You get there and there's still good money to be made, on top of being the triple A conference for the P5.

Good thing UTSA and the city aren't self-hating s like you.
    Hey, you lied again. Irrational and immature.

It's dependent on how the program progresses, I've said this already. Tell me how giving us a slight chance implies I see an easy road or think we are close to getting there?
    You get bent out of shape and start name calling in the face of any argument contrary to your dream.

Ok, so what exactly were you trying to say the next step for the program should be?
    Not shutting down the program. You flat out lied about that.

Money from the current year means everything. 20 years from now money from 2013 won't be current, now will it?
    Money will still mean everything then. If you want to make the argument it won't, make it here.

lol dream
    P5 isn't your dream for lolUTSA? Just say it isn't. I will accept it is not your dream if you explicitly say so.

What do you see in store for UTSA in the future, Chumpie? Aside from no P5 of course.
    If the P5 becomes a reality, it's going to be tough for anyone to break in after the initial 67 or so close the door after them. It could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise for lolUTSA and the others left out. I guess there might still be fighting for the crumb of a playoff spot that might be open to one of the outsiders, but there might actually be a resetting of priorities in those schools and less of an arms race that usually ends up being a huge drain on the school's finances. I wasn't really joking about focusing on academics; football got a unique jump start and academics have to catch up. The tier 1 chase still needs to move forward, which could lead to a merger with the medical school -- all things that would benefit lolUTSA no matter what the football team does.

Funding is likely to increase if you enter a bigger league. ECU's budget wasn't on par with AAC's. Didn't stop them from jumping. It's a stupid notion on your part.
    ECU's funding was quite close, especially considering their subsidy level. Then consider their history with conference mates and the fact that travel will be reduced when they will be in an Eastern division in a year -- everything I mentioned applies to their decision quite tidily.

It's very upsetting.

lol immature
    Better than your lying tbh.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Hey, you lied again. Irrational and immature.
    I forgot about det one. So am I just upset in that post or all of them?

You get bent out of shape and start name calling in the face of any argument contrary to your dream.
    Not true. But even if it was, how would that imply I think it would be an easy road or that we are close.

Not shutting down the program. You flat out lied about that.
    I took it as that, which is why I asked you to clarify.

Money will still mean everything then. If you want to make the argument it won't, make it here.
    Money for the current year will, sure. If you have the numbers for 2034 post them. If they are the same as 2013's self hate all you want.

P5 isn't your dream for lolUTSA? Just say it isn't. I will accept it is not your dream if you explicitly say so.
    The word implies I would be hurt if it didn't come to be. I'm all for the P5 if it happens, if it doesn't I will still be happy to have a solid G5 program.

If the P5 becomes a reality, it's going to be tough for anyone to break in after the initial 67 or so close the door after them. It could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise for lolUTSA and the others left out. I guess there might still be fighting for the crumb of a playoff spot that might be open to one of the outsiders, but there might actually be a resetting of priorities in those schools and less of an arms race that usually ends up being a huge drain on the school's finances. I wasn't really joking about focusing on academics; football got a unique jump start and academics have to catch up. The tier 1 chase still needs to move forward, which could lead to a merger with the medical school -- all things that would benefit lolUTSA no matter what the football team does.
    You act like academics are being put on hold for the football team. UTSA has been blessed with the tools to become a top G5 program. They should and will take advantage of that, and at least see how far it takes them--could mean P5, could not.

ECU's funding was quite close, especially considering their subsidy level. Then consider their history with conference mates and the fact that travel will be reduced when they will be in an Eastern division in a year -- everything I mentioned applies to their decision quite tidily.
    The avg revenue is 48 mill for the AAC. ECU's was 37 mill. It's about as close as UTSA is to the MWC average. It's not just ECU though.

Would UCF or UH turn down a Big 12 invite bc there's more 'budget parity' in the AAC?

Better than your lying tbh.
    Does that mean you are a part of the lolUTSAs bc of your immaturity?
    Last edited by FkLA; 08-09-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Thread Information