Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...wer-5-autonomy

The 16-2 vote adopted the updated Division I model that was released to the membership last month. Board members changed little from that proposal, only reducing the number of conferences required to sponsor a proposal within the group of five conferences from three to one (what is currently required to sponsor Division I legislation). Any amendment is subject to approval by a five-conference presidential group before consideration by the full voting group. The steering committee, which will continue as a transition committee, indicated it was open to tweaks over the next year.
    @AP_Top25: BREAKING: #NCAA board approves reforms that will give 5 biggest conferences ability to create own rules
    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...on-i-structure

It lets the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big 12 create their own rules — other conferences can adopt them, too, if they want — in certain areas to benefit college athletes. Leaders of the major conferences say they have the resources to provide more to athletes and have tried for years but get blocked by smaller schools. External pressure by lawsuits and Congress has also forced the issue.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Lol NCAA in desperation mode to stay part of the Power 5.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    players about to be paid....

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Texas Tech football coach*Kliff Kingsbury*opposes having to only play teams from the "Power Five" conferences,*according to an article from ESPN.Three other Big 12 members -- Kansas State's*Bill Snyder, Texas'*Charlie Strong*and TCU's*Gary Patterson*-- shared Kingsbury's opinion in ESPN's poll. The Power Five includes the ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12, Southeastern Conference and Notre Dame.Big 12 coaches voted 6-4 in favor of playing just Power Five teams, according to the article, which added a stipulation in this hypothetical situation that teams wouldn't have to win six games to be eligible for bowl games because of the more challenging schedule.

http://texastech.247sports.com/Artic...teams-30132984
    It would suck hard for utsa if some or all of the power 5 conferences decide to play just each other.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It would suck hard for utsa if some or all of the power 5 conferences decide to play just each other.
    Be taking lots of $$ outta those schools pockets, too.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    This won't really impact the AAC or MWC, who will most likely adopt the autonomy plan, but the lolutsa's of the college football world are fcked....

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    No way would the middle or bottom schools from each conference vote for that. Schools like Tech that start off 5-0 and then fade would have trouble reaching bowl eligibility if they played just P5 schools.

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    I don't think AD's will go for that, they don't want to give up the cupcake games that inflate their programs' records....

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    This won't really impact the AAC or MWC, who will most likely adopt the autonomy plan, but the lolutsa's of the college football world are fcked....
    UTSA has a better chance of getting a call-up to the big leagues than Boise State tbh.

Also the MWC is not better off financially than CUSA. The AAC probably is though.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    No way would the middle or bottom schools from each conference vote for that. Schools like Tech that start off 5-0 and then fade would have trouble reaching bowl eligibility if they played just P5 schools.
    it might also jeopardize a heavy weight's chance at an undefeated season.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Well, college sports was fun while it lasted. Best case scenario for me would be if the P5 just play each other. I would hate to see UNM try to keep up with this .

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    TCU will forever be grateful to A&M for leaving.

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    UTSA has a better chance of getting a call-up to the big leagues than Boise State tbh.

lolutsa

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    He's right. This type of move was meant to prevent schools like yours from making noise. What exactly do you have to offer the P5? UTSA at least has a TV market.

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    He's right. This type of move was meant to prevent schools like yours from making noise. What exactly do you have to offer the P5? UTSA at least has a TV market.
    Unless the Big 12 somehow wants to add yet another Texas school (and lolutsa would probably still be behind Houston, Rice, and even SMU in that case) or the SEC is just dying to split up their TV money even more unnecessarily (and again, lolutsa would not be high on the list), I fail to see all these great opportunities for lolutsa to move up, tbh....

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Unless the Big 12 somehow wants to add yet another Texas school (and lolutsa would probably still be behind Houston, Rice, and even SMU in that case) or the SEC is just dying to split up their TV money even more unnecessarily (and again, lolutsa would not be high on the list), I fail to see all these great opportunities for lolutsa to move up, tbh....
    Nobody is saying a move up is right around the corner, dumb . The program needs to continue growing to be considered, obviously. If it takes off though they'll be a strong candidate with the San Antonio market behind them.

Look at UCF, they had a nice run and are now a top choice to get called up. Boise State has had an even longer run yet aren't taken seriously for a move up...why do you think that's the case, dummy ?

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    BTW Rice and SMU are small, private universities with terrible fan support. Only way SMU has a brighter future is if paying players becomes the norm and their donors really step up like they did in their Pony Express days. Rice is content with just being an academic powerhouse.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    The point isn't that UTSA is going to be called up anytime soon, its that BSt is ed about as much as anyone in this deal. But sure, lol at others all you want.

Post Count
    UTSA have a good chance of being the next team to go to the AAC.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Nobody is saying a move up is right around the corner, dumb . The program needs to continue growing to be considered, obviously. If it takes off though they'll be a strong candidate with the San Antonio market behind them.

Look at UCF, they had a nice run and are now a top choice to get called up. Boise State has had an even longer run yet aren't taken seriously for a move up...why do you think that's the case, dummy ?
    UCF also has a load of students. I haven't looked but I'm thinking 55k.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Neither Boise nor utsa has any shot of joining the big 12, SEC, or big 10.

can't see utsa getting invited to ACC.

Boise would be a natural geographical fit for Pac 12 expansion, plus their brand name gives them the edge over utsa.

And if the Pac were to expand, into Texas, seems to me they'd take SMU over utsa.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Unless a provision is made for BYU and Notre Dame they will likely have to either join a P5 conference or get shut out.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Unless a provision is made for BYU and Notre Dame they will likely have to either join a P5 conference or get shut out.
    I don't see it logistically happening, but how bad ass would Notre Dame to the big 12 be.

How much more awesome would it be to add both Notre Dame and lolutsa.

I'd be rofling for weeks.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    UTSA has the all the tools to become a player. They just want all this to slow down a little bit because they aren't there yet and they don't want to get left out beforehand.

If there was any doubt about the big12 dissolving in the future, that's pretty much gone. The big12 will likely be forced to play CG like the rest of the conferences though and Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference full time soon.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Why would the big 12 will be forced to play a championship game?

The only reason to add a CG is money.

Thread Information