Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Damn!!!

At Tivy High School he was coached by Mark Smith. He played football all four years in high school and began with the freshman team his first year. By the end of his first season, he played with the varsity team as a receiver. He began his sop re year primarily as a receiver, but started the fourth game at quarterback. He shared that position for the remainder of the season, finishing with 1,164 yards passing, 806 rushing and 408 receiving for a combined 28 touchdowns. Manziel's junior year was his first as starting quarterback, and he completed that season with 2,903 passing yards, 1,544 rushing yards, 152 receiving yards and 55 touchdowns. That year, he was voted All-San Antonio Area Offensive Player of the Year as well as District 27-4A MVP.[15]
    During Manziel's senior season, he compiled 228-of-347 (65.7%) passing for 3,609 yards with 45 TDs and 5 INTs. He also had 170 carries for 1,674 yards and 30 TDs. He had 1 TD reception and returned a kickoff for a touchdown for a combined 77 TDs. That year, he was honored as District 28-4A MVP (unanimous selection), Class 4A First Team All-State (AP), San Antonio Express-News Offensive Player of the Year (second year in a row), the Associated Press Sports Editors Texas Player of the Year, Sub-5A First Team All-Area (SA Express-News), No. 1 QB in Texas by Dave Campbell's Texas Football, DCTF Top 300, PrepStar All-Region and Super-Prep All-Region.[16]
    For Manziel's three years as a starter, he completed 520 of 819 passes (63.5%) for 7,626 yards and 76 touchdowns, rushed 531 times for 4,045 yards and 77 touchdowns and caught 30 passes for 582 yards and another five touchdowns. He was the only quarterback in America named as a Parade All-American his senior year, and he was also named The National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) Senior Athlete of the Year in football.[17]

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Too bad Manziel isn't starting against the Saints.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Too bad Manziel isn't starting against the Saints.
    It wouldn't matter who payed QB, the Saints on a whole other level.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I was just thinking.....

Who out there who watched Manziel at A&M ever thought he'd fit into your basic NFL offense? So why would any pro team draft this guy if that was the plan? I wouldn't have if I planned on trying to just fit him in. How obvious is it that that simply isn't what the guy is about?

Willie Totten was the guy who put Jerry Rice on the map back in those Mississippi Valley State days. MVS ran a true spread offense, with Totten standing back there in the shot gun trying to find which of his five wide receivers are open. He was amazing..."in that role". What, you draft him then try to stick him under center?

Notice the last sentence.

Willie "Satellite" Totten (born July 4, 1962) is a former professional football player and current college football coach. Totten was a four-year starter quarterback at Mississippi Valley State University from 1981 to 1985, along with Jerry Rice as his target at wide receiver. Totten set more than 50 Division I-AA passing records, and Rice setting many Division I-AA receiving records. The Delta Devils averaged 59 points a game during the 1984 season, with Totten throwing for a record 58 touchdowns and leading the Delta Devils to the Division I-AA playoffs in 1984. Archie Cooley, who was the head coach at MVSU from 1980 to 1986, was the architect of the pass-oriented offense that utilized the skills of Totten.
    Last edited by Avante; 08-21-2014 at 02:12 PM.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    A spread offense with 5 wide would get steamrolled by an nfl defense. This is why we have pro style offenses

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    A spread offense with 5 wide would get steamrolled by an nfl defense. This is why we have pro style offenses
    I agree 100% that wasn't my point. My point was you don't waste a draft pick on a spread QB. You sign him as a free agent and see if he can make the transition.

Look at the Seahawks, they are winning like teams did back in the day. Win the TO battle, play that stud defense and run the ball. They are winning at a time when it was supppse to be...ya gotta throw the ball, throw the ball.....as we can see, no you don't. There are a lot of ways to win football games.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    I agree 100% that wasn't my point. My point was you don't waste a draft pick on a spread QB. You sign him as a free agent and see if he can make the transition.

Look at the Seahawks, they are winning like teams did back in the day. Win the TO battle, play that stud defense and run the ball. They are winning at a time when it was supppse to be...ya gotta throw the ball, throw the ball.....as we can see, no you don't. There are a lot of ways to win football games.
    Wilson was developed in a pro-style offense at both N.C. State and Wisconsin. He never ran some gimmicky offense in college. That's why he was so well-prepared to play.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Wilson was developed in a pro-style offense at both N.C. State and Wisconsin. He never ran some gimmicky offense in college. That's why he was so well-prepared to play.

Well he played in 50 college games and averaged 8 runs a game.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Well he played in 50 college games and averaged 8 runs a game.
    Because he could. But it doesn't change the fact that he played in offenses that were pro-style/west coast.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Because he could. But it doesn't change the fact that he played in offenses that were pro-style/west coast.
    Wel when a QB runs over 200 times in a college season he'd doing things a little different.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Wel when a QB runs over 200 times in a college season he'd doing things a little different.
    Nah, he's just using his running abilities in the scheme of the offense. Ran alot of bootlegs in Wisconsin and would also run when the play would breakdown. He was no gimmicky QB running the pistol or spread option.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Nah, he's just using his running abilities in the scheme of the offense. Ran alot of bootlegs in Wisconsin and would also run when the play would breakdown. He was no gimmicky QB running the pistol or spread option.
    Where am I saying he was a gimmick? My point is that he wasn't just a seven drop passing QB.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    The talk of Michael Vick got me thinking about speed.

I will be talking track speed here.

The Fastest

1000 yard rusher.....Curtis ey 10.10 Texas A&M/Colts (actually world ranked)
    1000 yard receiver....Bob Hayes 10.06WR Florida A&M/Cowboys
    Defensive back...Darrell Green 10.08 Tex A&I/Redskins
    Kick returner...Trindon Holliday 10.00 LSU/pick one

The sub 10.10/9.3 gang (* a Raider at some time)

All those mentioned above ( ey also had a 9.2)

Sam Graddy 10.09 Tenn/Broncos *
    Jacoby Ford 10.01 Clemson/Raiders
    Ron Brown 10.06 ASU/Rams *
    Alvis Whitted 10.07 NCSt/Raiders
    Jeff Demps 10.01 Florida/Buc's
    Willie McGee 9.1WR Alcorn/Chargers
    Mel Gray 9.2 Missouri/Cards
    Cliff Branch 9.2 Colorado/Raiders

Hayes, Graddy, Brown and Demps all Olympic medalists.

Anyone interested in your teams fastest player ever, I have that. You can never know too much
    Last edited by Avante; 08-22-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Remember when.....

Eddie Lacy was fat?

RGIII was thought to be better than Russell Wilson?

The Texans were good?

Aaron Rodgers was handing off to Marshawn Lynch?

The Chiefs sucked?

Eli Manning was winning SB's?

Cam Newton was at Blinn JC?

Ryan Matthews was a a QB at West Bakersfield?

Darren Sproles was a Charger?

Darren McFadden looked like a real player?

JJ Watt was the most talked about Texan defender?

Everyone was shocked to see Adrian Peterson leave Texas for Oklahoma?
    Last edited by Avante; 08-23-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Raji out for season with injury....ouch!

The Packers can't catch a break.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    While he hasn't lived up to his draft say potential, they're pretty thin there

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    While he hasn't lived up to his draft say potential, they're pretty thin there
    Well they do have a couple 310 pounders there in Boyd and Gion. See what happens.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    jacoby ford got cut. he's done

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    jacoby ford got cut. he's done
    Just guessing I'd say he was one of those young guys would made a little $$$ then lost the fire. We see that all the time.

Yep, (other than CFL) he's done.

While here....

If I'm the Niners I'm dumping James, that Winston kid wants it's more and is actually more talented.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Just guessing I'd say he was one of those young guys would made a little $$$ then lost the fire. We see that all the time.

Yep, (other than CFL) he's done.

While here....

If I'm the Niners I'm dumping James, that Winston kid wants it's more and is actually more talented.
    its not a matter of fire. he doesn't have it anymore physically. its what i've been trying to tell you these past few months. he had consistent injury issues which is why the raiders let him go in the first place

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    its not a matter of fire. he doesn't have it anymore physically. its what i've been trying to tell you these past few months. he had consistent injury issues which is why the raiders let him go in the first place
    You also tried to tell me college stat don't matter, when it's real obvious they do. You also try to tell me history means nothing, when we all know it does. So I am a little suspect when you try to tell me anything. How many teams pick up players they don't think can help them? So Ford must have shown something. And at his age what injury does he have he can't shake?

Don't act like you know the guy, ok? What could have happened is he did sustain some injuries then got lazy with the recupperation process, yep..lacks the grit/fire.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    You also tried to tell me college stat don't matter, when it's real obvious they do. You also try to tell me history means nothing, when we all know it does. So I am a little suspect when you try to tell me anything. How many teams pick up players they don't think can help them? So Ford must have shown something. And at his age what injury does he have he can't shake?

Don't act like you know the guy, ok? What could have happened is he did sustain some injuries then got lazy with the recupperation process, yep..lacks the grit/fire.
    i didn't tell you college stats don't matter. i said they aren't the most important thing. any number of college QB's can put up spectacular numbers. jamarcus russell, tim tebow, tim couch, tyler wilson are all top 15 ALL TIME in completion percentage in the great SEC. are they accurate quarterbacks, though? nope. not by NFL standards

you dont look at the statsheet and assume it will all transfer. you have to look at the tape. is the guy throwing to wide open receivers, or are there contested throws? if all his guys are always open and he's throwing into an ocean (like tebow), his accuracy isn't being tested. does he have all day in the pocket? that could mean he'll have a difficult time adjusting to the speed of the NFL. it also tends to lead to elongated deliveries, holding the ball, and slower reads. is he throwing bullets in traffic? or just tossing it to uncontested receivers? is he running a read option or is he running a pro-style offense? is he running a spread? etc.

there are ALL kinds of things you need to look at. andrew luck didn't put up the best college numbers, but he was considered the best prospect in years. why?

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I showed you this before and you ignored it for obvious reasons.

So this is bogus and you know better?

Although the months leading up to the NFL draft tend to glorify individual workouts in shorts, there is no more important indicator of a player’s prospects for success at the next level than what they were able to do as a collegiate player.
    With that being said, many players who achieve statistical success at the collegiate level never have their games translate to success in the NFL.

~~~~~~~~~~~

OBVIOUSLY....these players are drafted on the assumption they will be able to fit into the NFL game, many are drafted as projects. But......make no mistake about it what they showed in the college game means everything.

Luck had a solid career at Stanford, now add his size/speed/intelligence and his upbringing.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    After this week it will obviously be....just don't get hurt.

So what did I see from the preseason? Another obvious is never put too much into it other than the rookies trying to make teams and injuries. We see nothing remotely close to what is really going on. The Texans beating the Broncos pretty much says it all.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Wes Welker might be done. And that is a real big deal for the Broncos.

Time to let LaMichael James go.

Not sure how anyone could be critical of Kelvin Benjamin?

Dri Archer is as advertised.

A little disappointed with Terrance West.

Russell Wilson looks about as smooth and in control as any QB I've seen.

RGIII is a mess, he is now being found out.

The Niners have more quality depth than they ever had in the Harbaugh era.
    Last edited by Avante; 08-24-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Thread Information