Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://kxan.com/2014/08/15/texas-gov...by-grand-jury/

AUSTIN (KXAN) – A grand jury has handed up an indictment against Gov. Rick Perry in connection with the investigation into an effort to force Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg to resign.

At the center of the issue is a complaint about intimidation stemming from Perry’s threat to veto of $3.7 million in state funding to the Public Integrity Unit run by Lehmberg’s office. The threat came after she pleaded guilty to drunk driving and served a 45-day sentence; Perry called on her to step down but she refused to resign her position. Perry then vetoed the funding for the PIU.

A grand jury was called to determine whether or not Perry broke the law when he threatened to veto the funding. As a result they issued indictments on two felony charges: abuse of official capacity and coercion of public servant. If found guilty on the charges, Perry could be sentenced to a maximum 109 years in prison.

An indictment indicates the grand jury believes the state has a strong enough case to send to trial and is not a finding of guilt. Special prosecutor Michael McCrum oversaw the presentation to the grand jury who has been meeting on and off this summer.

McCrum told reporters that he plans to meet with Perry’s attorneys on Monday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm. The perils of autocratic leadership styles. I wonder why someone didn't tell him that he might get in trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, it IS Travis County.

Should be interesting. FWIW that was drunk on her ass and was driving from grass to grass when they arrested her.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Should be interesting. FWIW that was drunk on her ass and was driving from grass to grass when they arrested her.
    Classic blame the victim. But in this case, she is not the only victim, so is mother justice.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He should be indicted in any county if he used his office to pull funds.
    Thats just a stupid overplay when the opportunity arises.
    But, coming from the idiot we all know, it's not surprising.

But it is hilarious the funds were to go into the public integrity unit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not a defender of Rick Perry but I have to say you're fooling yourselves if you think that Perry is the only politician who has done something "illegal", and that every other politician is clear like an infant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sure and it well could end up in federal court. So how do you feel about Obama's use of executive orders?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, I think that the Dems ed up by indicting him. This effectively takes him out of the Republican Presidential race. Had he stayed in he would have drained off financial resources and supporters that would hurt other Repug candidates like Rand Paul. Now that money and votes go to the remaining players. Perry had no chance of winning the Presidential election being a carbon copy of George W. Bush. The Dems would have loved a Hillarry vs Perry election. Good job Dems! Thanks!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://kxan.com/2014/08/15/texas-gov...by-grand-jury/

AUSTIN (KXAN) – A grand jury has handed up an indictment against Gov. Rick Perry in connection with the investigation into an effort to force Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg to resign. Special prosecutor Michael McCrum oversaw the presentation to the grand jury who has been meeting on and off this summer.

McCrum told reporters that he plans to meet with Perry’s attorneys on Monday.

Mike McCrum is a very skilled attorney from San Antonio. Being an attorney, I'm sure he is a die hard Democrat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

She's not being indicted, RickyBobby is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, I think that the Dems ed up by indicting him. This effectively takes him out of the Republican Presidential race. Had he stayed in he would have drained off financial resources and supporters that would hurt other Repug candidates like Rand Paul. Now that money and votes go to the remaining players. Perry had no chance of winning the Presidential election being a carbon copy of George W. Bush. The Dems would have loved a Hillarry vs Perry election. Good job Dems! Thanks!!!
    Like the Republicans have a chance anyway with a house full of re s.
    Jeb Bush is the only chance IMO. But he married a Hispanic and is not ready to kill people at the border.
    Ted Cruz, Rand Paul... Seriously who?
    Who?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The state democrats are much more concerned about 'turning Texas blue' and with the increasing minority populations and an electorate more and more skeptical of GOP efforts to gerrymander its bound to happen one of these cycles.

Every gaffe of the state GOP establishment and their populist extras bring that closer to reality.

Greg Abbot as state attorney litigated the states redistricting efforts in court. Little surprise that he is rewarded the candidacy. Interesting thought that all lawyers are democrats though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The state democrats are much more concerned about 'turning Texas blue' and with the increasing minority populations and an electorate more and more skeptical of GOP efforts to gerrymander its bound to happen one of these cycles.

Every gaffe of the state GOP establishment and their populist extras bring that closer to reality.

Greg Abbot as state attorney litigated the states redistricting efforts in court. Little surprise that he is rewarded the candidacy. Interesting thought that all lawyers are democrats though.
    Lots of defense lawyers definitely are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure. I just thought it ironic that the Perry's lawyer is the GOP candidate and he is pigeonholing the profession. I am betting he is going to get some cognitive dissonance at some point.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure. I just thought it ironic that the Perry's lawyer is the GOP candidate and he is pigeonholing the profession. I am betting he is going to get some cognitive dissonance at some point.
    The ambulance chasers are especially active in funding Democrats.
    The Texas Hammer... you had a frack truck run over your face, see me, I'll get your respect back.
    Its mostly for the elected judges though.

I just love this whole thing involves the Public Integrity branch of the great State of Texas.
    You got an alcoholic head of the Dept. telling the arresting officer he has ruined her career.
    And you got Ricky Bobby, it's too good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of criminal defense lawyers and Plaintiffs' side civil lawyers are.

Prosecutors on the criminal side and defense-side civil lawyers tend, in my experience to be conservative.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of criminal defense lawyers and Plaintiffs' side civil lawyers are.

Prosecutors on the criminal side and defense-side civil lawyers tend, in my experience to be conservative.
    Totally agree.

The Ads for the "accidents never happen" lawyers are a very artistic. The drama, the injustice, the $

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ambulance chasers are especially active in funding Democrats.
    The Texas Hammer... you had a frack truck run over your face, see me, I'll get your respect back.
    Its mostly for the elected judges though.

I just love this whole thing involves the Public Integrity branch of the great State of Texas.
    You got an alcoholic head of the Dept. telling the arresting officer he has ruined her career.
    And you got Ricky Bobby, it's too good.
    Civil litigation in Texas is a mire of corruption. I won't dispute that. Anyone who succeeds in it should have their credibility questioned along those lines.

Abuse of executive power does have legs especially within the populists. Cons utionally the governors office is not supposed to have that power. That she should be canned is besides the point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol @ any Dems ing about abuse of executive power

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Civil litigation in Texas is a mire of corruption. I won't dispute that. Anyone who succeeds in it should have their credibility questioned along those lines.

Abuse of executive power does have legs especially within the populists. Cons utionally the governors office is not supposed to have that power. That she should be canned is besides the point.
    Definitely.

But there is still a great deal of humor in the whole thing.
    This is really good material for Stewart or Colbert.
    It may not be Washington enough, but making my State look like a bunch of blithe wandering rednecks... Beautiful.
    Somebody take this thing and run with it, please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol @ any Dems ing about abuse of executive power
    Eric Holder is one of the largest s wads in government.
    He is just not as blatantly stupid as the Perry crew.
    He wants to be president, he seriously does.
    And he did last election as well.

Then you have the blatantly evil, Johnny Edwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure and it well could end up in federal court. So how do you feel about Obama's use of executive orders?
    This is peanuts compared to what Obama has done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You aren't going to see me defend Obama on this, but you see how its the same thing. Political theater turned back in on itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama has not yet threatened to remove an elected official from the opposing party by withholding federal funds.

So the democrats elected a fat drunk to protect the State from corruption, you got a problem with that?

Thread Information