Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Youre asking KA to be one of the best players of all time. Cmon now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His coaches, analysts and people that have seen Anderson play have been comparing him to better hall-of-famers than Manu since he was in high school. Discussing the possibilities for him to fill Manu's role on a Spurs message board in the offseason is FAR less lame than comparing him to De Colo.
    Think that way if it strokes your ego and can start insults. I'll respectfully disagree. Again, I really do hope Anderson pans out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Youre asking KA to be one of the best players of all time. Cmon now.

He's our best draft pick since KL. Not too unreasonable tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's our best draft pick since KL. Not too unreasonable tbh
    Its extremely unreasonable. Ginobili is one of the best players to ever touch a basketball, thats all. And KL? He was picked what like two years ago? KA was the best player picked in 2-3 years....by a team that was good so couldnt pick high? Wow, you really bring up some great points. Real thought provoking stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think that way if it strokes your ego and can start insults. I'll respectfully disagree. Again, I really do hope Anderson pans out.
    It's not just his thinking. Even in this deep draft, the Spurs only graded 20 players as first round talent. We don't know where in that 20 the Spurs rated him, but they got him at least 10 places after they thought he should be gone. If anyone's thinking needs to be questioned, it's yours. He's got PATFO on his side.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just his thinking. Even in this deep draft, the Spurs only graded 20 players as first round talent. We don't know where in that 20 the Spurs rated him, but they got him at least 10 places after they thought he should be gone. If anyone's thinking needs to be questioned, it's yours. He's got PATFO on his side.
    My thinking needs to be questioned just because I think he hasn't proven anything yet, which is FACTUALLY irrefutable? Wow. And proper reading comprehension would show I'm not anti-Anderson. I'm anti comparing unproven talent to a surefire HOF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's par for the course with #30 picks. At least he'll probably have a better career than that guy the Thunder drafted to be cheap. Just be glad you're not an OKC fan with two years left until the franchise implodes.
    Josh Huestis might have not been drafted (at all) if it wasn't for that agreement he made with the Thunder. He should be considered a late second rounder talent wise with OKC reaching. McGary would be the better comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle Anderson is bigger and better. 10/10 thread... Pop runs his whole playbook for Manu, without it he's De Culo
    You're not even trying to disguise your trolling, now.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Impossible to replace Manu. Manu is probababll the 5th most important Spur in their history

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and also analysts have been saying dude is too slow to become a rotation player
    I'll be interested to see the quotes you post to support that claim. Without even checking, I'd bet that comments that he's too slow are based on people who misinterpret his nickname, which came about because he's deliberate, not because he's such a subpar athlete. He's a worse athlete than Andrew Wiggins (though he defended him really well), but that doesn't make him a bad athlete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will he ever replace Manu? Big shoes to fill. But his game is similar, past first and an eye for the court, high IQ, just like Manu. But the real question I guess is can he replace Diaw? That's the player he really fits the role of moreso, imo tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thinking needs to be questioned just because I think he hasn't proven anything yet, which is FACTUALLY irrefutable? Wow. And proper reading comprehension would show I'm not anti-Anderson. I'm anti comparing unproven talent to a surefire HOF.
    That's fair. At least you're discussing why you think it's unreasonable instead of starting even stupider threads. He is extremely unproven. The only reason it's acceptable, IMO, is because it's the offseason. We can make predictions based upon his previous play. Hopefully people who have seen a bunch of UCLA stuff can chime in and actually give us some information on how he plays. Manu is not going to be here in a few years, and someone is going to have to take on that sixth man role, and Anderson is probably going to be the best bet because when Duncan and Manu leave Anderson will be behind the two best players on the team on the depth chart, but can likely back up both positions depending upon need.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll be interested to see the quotes you post to support that claim. Without even checking, I'd bet that comments that he's too slow are based on people who misinterpret his nickname, which came about because he's deliberate, not because he's such a subpar athlete. He's a worse athlete than Andrew Wiggins (though he defended him really well), but that doesn't make him a bad athlete.
    Your assessment in bold is what I have most often read as being reported about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your assessment in bold is what I have most often read as being reported about him.
    I think there's a misinterpretation by some folks about what "replace Manu" means. Someone's going to replace Manu one way or another, even if that person stinks. Pete Myers was the Bulls starting 2 when Jordan was playing baseball. Filling a role is one thing, doing well for the team another, and becoming a legend is something else altogether.

We all agree Anderson is not James White (!), but being able to contribute some of the things that Larry Bird or Manu have, based solely on how effective he was during his college career, isn't really ridiculous to project. Larry Bird never dominated anyone with his footspeed, nor did Manu. They could create angles and take advantage of space. Bird (fadeaway) and Manu (step-back) could always get their shot off, though neither has a lightning-release, and both have always been good defenders even when guarding players that were far superior athletes. KA is also a good rebounder, which translates well to the NBA. If you have good vision and good anticipation, you can make up for a lot. Anderson has shown that he has those things in spades, and he's on the right team for his skills. His jumper reminds me of Bird, and his passing reminds me of Manu. Probably some homer in that.

Now here's the real difference: what makes Manu and Bird hall of famers is the intangibles, which Kyle is going to have to show he has if he's to "replace Manu" in any deep way. Duncan has set the standard for the club, so the team's work-ethic is in place. If Anderson lives up to that, he can be nearly as good as he wants to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    draft.net for instance

Anderson is hampered by his lack of elite-level athleticism. He has a below-average first step and lateral quickness…

not even starting speaking about his release

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Take the ice bucket challenge and never get up from the water

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there's a misinterpretation by some folks about what "replace Manu" means. Someone's going to replace Manu one way or another, even if that person stinks. Pete Myers was the Bulls starting 2 when Jordan was playing baseball. Filling a role is one thing, doing well for the team another, and becoming a legend is something else altogether.

We all agree Anderson is not James White (!), but being able to contribute some of the things that Larry Bird or Manu have, based solely on how effective he was during his college career, isn't really ridiculous to project. Larry Bird never dominated anyone with his footspeed, nor did Manu. They could create angles and take advantage of space. Bird (fadeaway) and Manu (step-back) could always get their shot off, though neither has a lightning-release, and both have always been good defenders even when guarding players that were far superior athletes. KA is also a good rebounder, which translates well to the NBA. If you have good vision and good anticipation, you can make up for a lot. Anderson has shown that he has those things in spades, and he's on the right team for his skills. His jumper reminds me of Bird, and his passing reminds me of Manu. Probably some homer in that.

Now here's the real difference: what makes Manu and Bird hall of famers is the intangibles, which Kyle is going to have to show he has if he's to "replace Manu" in any deep way. Duncan has set the standard for the club, so the team's work-ethic is in place. If Anderson lives up to that, he can be nearly as good as he wants to be.
    So true, your entire take, despite what the naysayers may say!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    draft.net for instance

Anderson is hampered by his lack of elite-level athleticism. He has a below-average first step and lateral quickness…

not even starting speaking about his release
    Wrap up from the source you cited.
    Overall: Anderson is a big, versatile intriguing prospect with great guard skills and length. When he has the ball at the top of the key, reading the defense over the head of a smaller defense, he just seems to be in control of the game. He lacks NBA-caliber athleticism and isn't always consistent with his jump shot but he's definitely a prospect that lots of teams will want to get their hands on…
    "Lack of elite-level athleticism" is a far ing cry from "too slow to become a rotation player". Again, still waiting for all the analysts who have said what you suggested. You've yet to name one.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its extremely unreasonable. Ginobili is one of the best players to ever touch a basketball, thats all. And KL? He was picked what like two years ago? KA was the best player picked in 2-3 years....by a team that was good so couldnt pick high? Wow, you really bring up some great points. Real thought provoking stuff.
    Cool. So I'm glad you're a rational person. I mean how ever can you replace someones role on a team if they were an all time great. We might as well concede every game after he retires forever. I mean no one can ever be a playmaker or clutch again. Am i right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrap up from the source you cited.

"Lack of elite-level athleticism" is a far ing cry from "too slow to become a rotation player". Again, still waiting for all the analysts who have said what you suggested. You've yet to name one.
    ?

not sure what you are arguing tbh...

you post a quote saying He lacks NBA-caliber athleticism and I quoted Anderson is hampered by his lack of elite-level athleticism. He has a below-average first step and lateral quickness

then when you watch him you just can see his slow release could be an issue if Chip cannot fix it and you can see what draft.net means saying he has a below average first step and lateral quickness

My overall point is to say let's see if his game can translate to NBA despite his lack of athlecticism before wondering if dude can replace Manu... crazy talk

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems to me there is a huge difference between "elite-level athleticism", "NBA-caliber athleticism", and "a lack of athleticism".

The vast majority of the articles I have read have only mentioned a lack of elite level athleticism. It seems to me that would describe many if not most of the athletes in the NBA and many of the greats.

Athleticism is the over riding issue, but IMHO considering what he has done through most of his basketball life, it makes this a negligible issue, because it describes a deliberate and patient style of play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not sure what you are arguing tbh...
    Not sure how you don't understand the difference in what you said to what you now say you said. Let's explain it to you like you're a five year old:

You didn't say he lacked elite-level athleticism. You didn't even say he was below average for an NBA player, both of which are true. You said "analysts have been saying dude is too slow to become a rotation player", which seems on the surface to be utter bull . We're all still waiting for you to find ANYONE who has said that. Personally, everyone I've seen, everywhere, projected him to be a first round pick. Nobody projects a guy who can't make an NBA rotation into the first round. Pretty much everyone is amazed that he fell to the Spurs.

Manu Ginobili is probably a better athlete than anyone you or I know, but he's probably below average for an NBA player. James White is an elite athlete anywhere in the world and couldn't stick in the NBA.

Thanks for at least discussing your objections in the thread instead of starting ing idiot threads.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how you don't understand the difference in what you said to what you now say you said. Let's explain it to you like you're a five year old:

You didn't say he lacked elite-level athleticism. You didn't even say he was below average for an NBA player, both of which are true. You said "analysts have been saying dude is too slow to become a rotation player", which seems on the surface to be utter bull . We're all still waiting for you to find ANYONE who has said that. Personally, everyone I've seen, everywhere, projected him to be a first round pick. Nobody projects a guy who can't make an NBA rotation into the first round. Pretty much everyone is amazed that he fell to the Spurs.
    Manu Ginobili is probably a better athlete than anyone you or I know, but he's probably below average for an NBA player. James White is an elite athlete anywhere in the world and couldn't stick in the NBA. Thanks for at least discussing your objections in the thread instead of starting ing idiot threads.

Wow, O_V, a bit harsh, aren't you? But I guess he deserved it. "Consistency" was never one of Brazil's strong points, unless you are talking about bad takes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not concerned about Kyle's offense. I'm concerned about his defense and attention span while playing D. As the ball moves, Kyle's inexperience gets him picked-off too much and when defending the perimeter off-the-ball, he loses track of his man way too easily. He needs to fix that. A recent example of that: Richard Jefferson. Richard never could fix his attention span issues and inconsistent rotations off-the-ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not concerned about Kyle's offense. I'm concerned about his defense and attention span while playing D. As the ball moves, Kyle's inexperience gets him picked-off too much and when defending the perimeter off-the-ball, he loses track of his man way too easily. He needs to fix that. A recent example of that: Richard Jefferson. Richard never could fix his attention span issues and inconsistent rotations off-the-ball.
    Yeah, I actually don't think he'll be that poor of an on-ball defender with NBA-caliber bigs behind him. But him fighting around screens or getting caught gambling is more worrisome. That's especially true if his future is at two-guard.

Thread Information