Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who would you take in the following matchups?

1962 Celtics vs 1967 Sixers?
    Prime Russell and Cousy vs Wilt in one of the seasons he gave a + Greer. I'll take Sixers in 6.

1977 Blazers vs 1972 Lakers?
    Prime Walton leading one of the most devastating passing teams of all-time vs prime West and still dominant Chamberlain. I'm going with Portland in 6 here in the upset, as Walton's passing just got so many easy shots for Bobby Gross and Maurice Lucas.

1987 Lakers vs 1986 Celtics?
    Magic, Byronn Scott, James Worthy, a still effective Kareem, and then you have AC Green and Mychal Thomspon off the bench. And then Boston's frontcourt rotation of Bird/McHale/Parish/Walton with a pretty solid SF in Scott Wedman only able to get spot minutes on that team. I gotta go 86 Celtics in 6 here, as I'd probably take them over any other team on this list too.

1991 Bulls vs 1996 Bulls?
    I'm going 96 Bulls even though 91 Jordan was a little better than 96 Jordan, as 96 Rodman is better than 91 Grant and 96 Harper was a huge upgrade over 91 John Paxson. 96 Bulls in 6.

2008 Celtics vs 2001 Lakers?
    One of the best defenses in league history with Garnett killing s in the paint and Posey a lockdown guy on the perimeter, great shooting out of Pierce, Allen, and Eddie House, young up and coming talent in Rondo and Perkins, and quality ring-chasing vets in PJ Brown and Sam Cassell. And in the other corner you have Prime Shaq when he played defense, Peak Kobe, up and coming Fisher, and Rick Fox playing lockdown D on the perimeter. Lakers in 6.

2011 Mavs vs 2014 Spurs?
    Both teams absolutely humiliated the back to back champs. The 2011 Mavs were ridiculous defensively with Chandler, Marion, and Lincoln, they had insane outside shooting with Terry and Stojakovic. Dirk was ting on everyone, and they destroyed everyone in a really difficult playoff run. On the other side the Spurs had two elite defensive centers, two top notch perimeter defenders in Leonard and Green who could both also shoot the three, Mills could get hot from the three, Diaw got tons of easy shots for his teammates, and Ginobili and Parker could take over quarters occasionally. One of the deepest teams in league history. This is the toughest call of any of them, but I'll go with the Spurs in 7 homer pick here.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 08-14-2014 at 01:21 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't you mean 67 Sixers? That was the year they won the le.

Honestly I think 05 Spurs > 08 Celtics.

Interesting topic!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1991 Bulls vs 1996 Bulls?
    I'm going 96 Bulls even though 91 Jordan was a little better than 96 Jordan, as 96 Rodman is better than 91 Grant and 96 Harper was a huge upgrade over 91 John Paxson. 96 Bulls in 6.
    '96 Bulls. DK might've been better overall in '91, but by '96 he knew he was doing something special.

2008 Celtics vs 2001 Lakers?
    One of the best defenses in league history with Garnett killing s in the paint and Posey a lockdown guy on the perimeter, great shooting out of Pierce, Allen, and Eddie House, young up and coming talent in Rondo and Perkins, and quality ring-chasing vets in PJ Brown and Sam Cassell. And in the other corner you have Prime Shaq when he played defense, Peak Kobe, up and coming Fisher, and Rick Fox playing lockdown D on the perimeter. Lakers in 6.
    '01 Lakers. Prime Shaq was unguardable.

2011 Mavs vs 2014 Spurs?
    Both teams absolutely humiliated the back to back champs. The 2011 Mavs were ridiculous defensively with Chandler, Marion, and Lincoln, they had insane outside shooting with Terry and Stojakovic. Dirk was ting on everyone, and they destroyed everyone in a really difficult playoff run. On the other side the Spurs had two elite defensive centers, two top notch perimeter defenders in Leonard and Green who could both also shoot the three, Mills could get hot from the three, Diaw got tons of easy shots for his teammates, and Ginobili and Parker could take over quarters occasionally. One of the deepest teams in league history. This is the toughest call of any of them, but I'll go with the Spurs in 7 homer pick here.
    '14 Spurs. Smashed Finals and playoffs records left and right. Most dominant Spurs championship team.

All great teams tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't you mean 67 Sixers? That was the year they won the le.
    You're right. I was thinking 68 because I somehow always remembered the Celtics squeezing one last le out of Russell in 69 when LA was so heavily favored, but that 69 le was a back to back.

Honestly I think 05 Spurs > 08 Celtics.
    I disagree here with Duncan playing on two bad ankles. With a healthy Duncan that team probably wins 65 games though, so in that alternate universe then yes.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    '01 God would easily destroy the '08 Celtics it would be simply child abuse that God would do to Ray,KG,Pierce.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    14 spurs are the best team on that list

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    14 spurs are the best team on that list
    Great team but,

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    For what ive been alive: 1996 Bulls, 2008 Celtics, 2014 Spurs. 2014 Spurs are the best team Ive ever seen

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    For what ive been alive: 1996 Bulls, 2008 Celtics, 2014 Spurs. 2014 Spurs are the best team Ive ever seen
    2008 Celts were a great team but is overrated. They were pushed to 7 by a flawed Hawks team in the playoffs, tbh. And a almost one man Lebron team. Very good one of teh best defensive teams but overrated on here and other sites.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh and 2014 Spurs beats 2011 Mavs ...
    2011 Dirk would be best player on either team ... but spurs were the better team. Not sure Deshawn Stevenson could even play meaningful mins. vs. Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2008 Celts were a great team but is overrated. They were pushed to 7 by a flawed Hawks team in the playoffs, tbh. And a almost one man Lebron team. Very good one of teh best defensive teams but overrated on here and other sites.
    Would you take the 04 Pistons at #2 for the decade then?

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2001 Lakers would give the 1996 Bulls more problems than 2014 Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2001 Lakers would give the 1996 Bulls more problems than 2014 Spurs
    Don't think so. Scotty and Michael will lock down Kobe and gang up on Shaq like they did back in Orlando. They also had Rodman who always played Shaq well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quality take, no explanation

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They dominated the hawks 99-65 in game 7. That series was never in doubt. Same
    With the Cavs. Sometimes teams get pushed to 7 due to luck for the opponent, it was not a close series at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They went 66-16 with +10.3 point differential and dominated their Finals
    opponent including a 131-92 clincher on a dream season. Before the 2014 spurs came
    Along 2008 Celtics were the best post-jordan team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They dominated the hawks 99-65 in game 7. That series was never in doubt. Same
    With the Cavs. Sometimes teams get pushed to 7 due to luck for the opponent, it was not a close series at all.
    So the Spurs going 7 vs the Mavs was a fluke for Dallas?

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It did require a Carter shot. Mavs presented zome matchup problems, but coulda easily lost in 5-6. I think the Spurs are the best team ever.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    And like the hawks, the Mavs put up no resistance in game 7 showing that this wasnt as even a matchup as the 7 games indicated.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    13-14 Spurs >>>>>>

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    They went 66-16 with +10.3 point differential and dominated their Finals
    opponent including a 131-92 clincher on a dream season. Before the 2014 spurs came
    Along 2008 Celtics were the best post-jordan team.
    Point differential is not as impressive when you consider the ty compe ion in the East. They were a very good team but best since Jordan's Bulls? No way.
    I might even take 2005 Spurs, 99 Spurs 2014 Spurs the 2000-2002, Lakers over those Celts. I know them early Spurs team were considered boring but prime Manu and Prime Timmy is pretty damn fearsome imho. (( spurs had a ty backcourt but David was a beast on defense. And Tim was well ...TIm.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But 2008 Celts are the best of the "one and done" le teams ... Mavs probably 2nd ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But 2008 Celts are the best of the "one and done" le teams ... Mavs probably 2nd ...
    04 Pistons were pretty good too... they definitely looked like they could've won 1 or 2 more...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like 04 Pistons over the 2008 Celtics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs and Spurs both deserve credits for preventing the super s from 3-peating but I'm arbitrarily seeing it a 60-40 split in favor of them Mavs. The 11' Heat were pretty much like the 08' Celts and the big 3 at that time (all of them in top forms) were better than they'd ever be from then on. The Great Satan Lebron might have improved a little since the 11' defeat but wade/bosh have both been slumping fast since then. The s were just as desperate to ring as the Mavs were and the Mavs won out, and either of those two teams would've beaten the 14' Spurs imho. Spurs won 14 because their opponents were relatively weak (OKC w/ an injured Ibaka, Heat with wade/Bosh regressed into role players etc...) compared to the 11' Lakers, 11' OKC, not to say the newly founded Super s.

Thread Information