Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1522
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Case: Phantek EVOLV
    Exterior: Not Painted
    Current Special Offers: Dads and Grads Promo Free 250GB Samsung SSD and More
    The ORIGIN Difference: ORIGIN PC Neuron - The Best Gaming Experience Guaranteed
    Case Lighting: Blue LED
    Case Fans: ORIGIN PC High-Performance Ultra Silent Fans
    Power Supply: 1000 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3
    Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z270G
    System Cooling: ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling System for 1151 Socket
    Processors: Intel Core i7 7700K Quad-Core 4.2GHz (4.5GHz TurboBoost)
    ORIGIN Professional Processor Overclocking: ORIGIN PC Professional Processor Overclocking DT
    Graphic Cards: Single 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
    Memory: 16GB ORIGIN PC DDR4 Powered by Kingston 2666MHz (4 X 4GB)
    Operating System: MS Windows 10 Home
    Intel Optane Memory Drive (Operating System Drive): None
    Hard Drive One (Operating System Drive #1): [FREE] 250GB Samsung 850 Evo Series
    Hard Drive Two EVOLV: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2
    Audio: On Board High Definition 8-Channel Audio
    Networking: Onboard Network Port

Thoughts on specs? Looking for high end gaming desktop, so judge and critique the combination/GPU/CPU/Memory (is 16G enough?)/storage...

Power Supply overkill? Drop to 850?
    I was thinking power supply kinda overkill until I read the last line

Other than that, you can't go wrong with it. Even with the 1080 Ti, I wouldn't necessarily go with a 4k monitor. I actually have one (Samsung, $300 at Costco), and Windows apps are still more or less a mess with it, plus, for gaming, you're better off with a 1080p monitor with NVidia G-Sync.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Future proofing: is it a real thing or just a money sink for better sounding specs?

Will your suggestions enable future proofing or would I be only a couple years out from needing to upgrade? (granted you could get two systems using your specs for the price of that one I quoted)
    Due to the 4k direction of things, your most expensive component (the video card) will need an upgrade in a couple years. The rest will likely stay more or less the same. Plus on that mobo, IIRC, you can go all the way up to 32GB, so you should be ok.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Due to the 4k direction of things, your most expensive component (the video card) will need an upgrade in a couple years. The rest will likely stay more or less the same. Plus on that mobo, IIRC, you can go all the way up to 32GB, so you should be ok.
    Yes, if you want only 16 GB, go with the 2 x 8 GB so you can upgrade later also. Without wasting 4 x 4 GB.

Why not the 960 Pro instead of the 960 EVO?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Other than that, you can't go wrong with it. Even with the 1080 Ti, I wouldn't necessarily go with a 4k monitor. I actually have one (Samsung, $300 at Costco), and Windows apps are still more or less a mess with it, plus, for gaming, you're better off with a 1080p monitor with NVidia G-Sync.
    Man 1080p with a 1080 Ti is nuts. 1440p is the lowest resolution I'd go with that gpu. I forgot about GSync. If you're willing to pay for it that's got to be awesome to get rid of the stutter that comes with VSync when you go at all below 60 fps on a 60 Hz monitor while getting rid of the tearing that happens when you start pushing 80-90 fps or more without VSync on a 60 Hz monitor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would add a regular SATA drive for automatic backups off the two SSD's.

Bluray rewriter?

I suppose 16 GB is enough, but who knows with near future games? I would just max out the memory too. I have 32 GB with my system running the i7-4790. Slow compared to yours, but still sweet.

If the 960 EVO matches right with the motherboard, you'll love its performance.
    2016 was the first time any game I know of made use of more than 8GB (with Battlefield 1). Even GTA V with a big memory leak was fine on 8GB. The console with the most RAM is the XBox One X with 12GB, and virtually all AAA games are written for console first because (1) they sell better and (2) they're the lowest common denominator to program to. I don't see games all of a sudden wanting say 20GB of RAM any time soon. RAM is so overpriced right now (the 16GB kit I bought a couple of years ago for $70 is now $120 for example) I wouldn't bother buying extra right now. Not if this computer is just something DMC is getting to game on.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 06-29-2017 at 07:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would add a regular SATA drive for automatic backups off the two SSD's.

Bluray rewriter?

I suppose 16 GB is enough, but who knows with near future games? I would just max out the memory too. I have 32 GB with my system running the i7-4790. Slow compared to yours, but still sweet.

If the 960 EVO matches right with the motherboard, you'll love its performance.
    I don't use and CDs and if I needed to I would just network to a laptop that has a drive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I have the KVM setup already. I use Roccat KB and mouse, have 2 144hz monitors and a 50" 4K TV (not a monitor I know but it's amazing how much I use it now instead of the monitors) mounted just above the 24" monitors.

Been using an Asus ROG laptop (fully kitted out) but I cannot run the Rift with it so I am considering getting a high end desktop to avoid trying to squeeze performance out of something mobile that doesn't need to be mobile. I just dread case fan noise and I have read that the processor in question has some cooling issues, needs to be delidded and have metal thermal paste mod. I think the manufacturer will do that for me (the PC builder) for about 15 bucks but I don't want to get into a processor with known, inherent problems. If the delidding makes it all better, that's ok though.

The laptop I have now has 32G memory and I don't think I ever use more than about 12 or so. I have multiple windows running sometimes so my biggest resource load is probably on my GPU, not my memory, since I'm running all these monitors/TV from a laptop.

I don't want to spend money just to have cool specs, but I also don't want to go through the trouble of upgrading to a midlevel system either. If I am going to upgrade, it's going to be just below the "way too expensive" level. I won't pay to be the first on the block with this or that processor, but I don't want to be looking at newer ones in just a few months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, if you want only 16 GB, go with the 2 x 8 GB so you can upgrade later also. Without wasting 4 x 4 GB.

Why not the 960 Pro instead of the 960 EVO?
    I don't want a big tower. I just got rid of one.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if you were considering new Ryzen, but I have the Ryzen 7 1700x with the plain AMD silent cooler and it doesn't make a sound at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey RandomGuy, you were asking me the other day about profiting off the ether bubble. Apparently the GTX 1070 is much better at mining ether than the GTX 1080, so if the bubble doesn't burst in the next couple of weeks you will probably be able to sell your 1070 and take that money and buy a 1080, which is roughly 25% faster in gaming. Apparently mining using the slower GDDR5 vram on the 1070 is faster than the using the faster GDDR5X vram on the 1080. The 1070 is already pretty close in price to the 1080 despite being way slower in gaming because of this. Right now the cheapest 1070 you can actually buy is $490

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814487264

Meanwhile here is a 1080 for $500:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814137084

This is insanity. Back when they came out a 1070 ran $450 and a 1080 about $650. I couldn't believe it, but here is a benchmark showing how much better the 1070 is vs the 1080 in ether mining.

Around three to four weeks ago GTX 1070s weren't hard to find at $350. Now they're already mostly over $500 and it's going to keep going up if the ether bubble doesn't pop soon.

I would sell a 1070 in a second to buy a 1080 for the same price, the 1080 is much better in gaming.

Last edited by baseline bum; 06-29-2017 at 02:17 PM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I don't want a big tower. I just got rid of one.
    Huh?

The 960 Pro is the same m.2 form factor as the 960 EVO. Just faster yet.

You have four memory slots. I'm just suggesting you use two 8 GB modules instead of four 4 GB modules, leaving you future expansion capability to 32 GB by just adding two more modules, instead of replacing all four.

I see the board holds two m.2 boards. Myself, I would utilize both. I would use a 960 Pro 256 GB for the OS, and a 960 Pro 1 TB or 2 TB for every thing else. At least the 512 GB version.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The m.2 PCIe is about 5 times faster than SATA. There is little if any difference in speed between the Intel Optane and the Samsung 960 Pro. They are both m.2.

If you are really going for optimum gaming speeds, the extra speed between the Pro and EVO should not be discounted for your primary game drive.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I simply wish my Dell motherboard would accept the 950 Pro I have. The Dell's PCIe slot only gives the board 1 lane to use of the needed four. The 250 GB module is a Samsung 850 EVO SATA, hence the SATA connection on the side. The graph paper is 5 lines per inch. I should replace the motherboard.

Just for show, I have a three monitor stand bolted to my table for my three 1440P 32" monitors:

If the 960 Pro was available when I bought the 950 Pro, I would have bought it instead:

link: Samsung 960 Pro vs 950 Pro Performance & Thermal Throttling

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if you were considering new Ryzen, but I have the Ryzen 7 1700x with the plain AMD silent cooler and it doesn't make a sound at all.
    I was looking at Origin PCs.

I've been out of the component/module game for a few years, the nomenclature is alien to me (no pun intended).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking at Origin PCs.

I've been out of the component/module game for a few years, the nomenclature is alien to me (no pun intended).
    I went through OriginPC to check the options available on the Neuron, and I'd probably make the following small changes:

1. I'd go with the 650W EVGA G3 power supply. The 1000W is complete overkill when you're using a single 250W gpu and maybe 130W cpu (after heavy overclocking). It's an outstanding power supply that comes with a 7 year warranty when you buy it on its own (the standard for good quality psu is 3 years). It's made by a company called Super Flower which is pretty much the best of the best when it comes to power supply OEMs. The 850W and 1000W EVGA G3 are similar, but you don't need that kind of power for one gpu. If you think you might add a second 1080 Ti later on then go for the 850W, but I wouldn't recommend dual gpu this day and age when support has gotten really bad for SLI and Crossfire. Definitely don't go with the generic 500W unit though.

2. I wouldn't pay $75 for the professional overclocking service when all those settings will be erased the first you have to reset the BIOS to default state. I wouldn't even bother overclocking the cpu unless you're planning on gaming on a panel with a refresh rate of 100 Hz or higher. If you're gaming on a 4k panel and targeting 60 fps you're not going to be hitting cpu limits in anything but the worst optimized games (eg Arma III). The default turbo clock is already going to 4.5 GHz. There should be a setting in the BIOS to just run at that max turbo boost on all cores and it's doubtful you'd have to touch vcore settings to do it.

3. For hard drive 2 I'd go with the cheaper 500 GB 850 EVO. You're not going to be bottlenecked by SATA drive times in loading into games. You would be using a hard drive but a SATA SSD like the 850 EVO is fast enough to where your loading time is going to be bottlenecked by the cpu most likely. ElNono is a game dev so he can explain this better than I can. But I have never seen any benchmark showing better loading times with expensive NVME ssds vs cheaper SATA ssds. Those fast NVME ssds are great if you're doing something like capturing 4k video and you need an ssd fast enough to keep up. But for gaming they're just throwing good money away.

I imagine they recommend the 120mm liquid cooling since they can install that rad in the back exhaust instead of the top exhaust mount. So that should cool reasonably well. It's unfortunate they don't have any open air 1080 Ti to select, as that case is big enough to where the open air card would be a better choice. The Founders Edition 1080 Ti is still a killer card. It's louder than the open air cards, but it's by no means a jet engine like say the R9 290x reference card or even worse the infamous Nvida Fx 5800 Ultra.

You'll probably want to replace the gpu within a couple of years for 4k gaming though. The 1080 Ti is just barely there. It's the first consumer card that has ever been capable of high quality 4k gaming on AAA les, but the games get harder to run every year. No biggie though, changing a gpu takes five minutes. And your psu will almost certainly still be enough, as Nvidia hasn't ever put out a single gpu card using more than 250W AFAIK. They always target 250W for their big die king of the hill card and for the last couple of generations have targeted 150W for their midsize die king of the hill card. The medium die king of the hill comes out before the big die king of the hill in the generation, and usually beats the previous gen king of the hill. For instance, last gen the big die king of the hill was the GTX 980 Ti. This generation the medium die king of the hill was the GTX 1080, which is about 25% faster than the 980 Ti. Then around 9 months later the big die king of the hill GTX 1080 Ti came and beat the 1080 by roughly 20-25%.

Overall it's a pretty killer 4k gaming system, and something that would easily handle 1440p or 3440x1440. It's a pretty good price too. They're quoting $2247 with the changes I suggested, whereas just buying the parts from newegg and building it yourself would cost $2058.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C8cvGf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for that writeup and suggestions. I followed your advice. I'll let you know how it performs once it's here and connected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be killer. The 1080 Ti is pretty ridiculous, finally allowing 4k on a single card.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AMD's Frontier Edition Vega is more powerful for gaming than the 1080, below the 1080ti and an X.

Supposedly it's amazing for production though.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 06-30-2017 at 12:30 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AMD's Frontier Edition Vega is more powerful for gaming than the 1080, below the 1080ti and an X.

Supposedly it's amazing for production though.
    PC Perspective did some benchmarks and the Frontier Edition was below the 1080. That's absolutely pathetic if Vega is going to be around the performance of the 1070 at twice the power consumption, especially with a 500 mm^2 die (the 1070/1080 use a 314 mm^2 die). Supposedly the article will be published today, but it was from a stream they did yesterday if you want to watch a 5 hour video.

EDIT: Published today and that POS card is between a 1070 and 1080 in gaming at 300W

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...-Cooled-Review
    Last edited by baseline bum; 06-30-2017 at 10:07 PM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Yep.

AMD was never much for finesse. Just brute force.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have the KVM setup already. I use Roccat KB and mouse, have 2 144hz monitors and a 50" 4K TV (not a monitor I know but it's amazing how much I use it now instead of the monitors) mounted just above the 24" monitors.

Been using an Asus ROG laptop (fully kitted out) but I cannot run the Rift with it so I am considering getting a high end desktop to avoid trying to squeeze performance out of something mobile that doesn't need to be mobile. I just dread case fan noise and I have read that the processor in question has some cooling issues, needs to be delidded and have metal thermal paste mod. I think the manufacturer will do that for me (the PC builder) for about 15 bucks but I don't want to get into a processor with known, inherent problems. If the delidding makes it all better, that's ok though.

The laptop I have now has 32G memory and I don't think I ever use more than about 12 or so. I have multiple windows running sometimes so my biggest resource load is probably on my GPU, not my memory, since I'm running all these monitors/TV from a laptop.

I don't want to spend money just to have cool specs, but I also don't want to go through the trouble of upgrading to a midlevel system either. If I am going to upgrade, it's going to be just below the "way too expensive" level. I won't pay to be the first on the block with this or that processor, but I don't want to be looking at newer ones in just a few months.
    16GB is fine for gaming, and you can always update just the RAM on the desktop. Your setup is pretty similar to mine at the office. I have two sammy 1080p TVs/monitors and a couple of sammy 50" and 60" 4K TVs for the devkits.

How's the ROG? I need to buy a beefed up laptop now that I'm on the road a bit, and was looking at that and the Razer...

Don't know much about the Rift, but we do have a PS VR and it's pretty awesome, tbh... wasn't that sold on VR until I played Farpoint and The London Heist games...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3. For hard drive 2 I'd go with the cheaper 500 GB 850 EVO. You're not going to be bottlenecked by SATA drive times in loading into games. You would be using a hard drive but a SATA SSD like the 850 EVO is fast enough to where your loading time is going to be bottlenecked by the cpu most likely. ElNono is a game dev so he can explain this better than I can. But I have never seen any benchmark showing better loading times with expensive NVME ssds vs cheaper SATA ssds. Those fast NVME ssds are great if you're doing something like capturing 4k video and you need an ssd fast enough to keep up. But for gaming they're just throwing good money away.
    I run my PC games off the hard drive... until the SSDs hit the 1TB mark for cheap, devs are not really interested in optimizing for that, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd recommend staying at 1440p as a target if you're gonna be sitting right in front of it, and just ordering the parts and assembling yourself unless you dont mind paying their premium or like doing it yourself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    16GB is fine for gaming, and you can always update just the RAM on the desktop. Your setup is pretty similar to mine at the office. I have two sammy 1080p TVs/monitors and a couple of sammy 50" and 60" 4K TVs for the devkits.

How's the ROG? I need to buy a beefed up laptop now that I'm on the road a bit, and was looking at that and the Razer...

Don't know much about the Rift, but we do have a PS VR and it's pretty awesome, tbh... wasn't that sold on VR until I played Farpoint and The London Heist games...
    The ROG I have is huge and heavy. I don't know much about the smaller models, but this one is a beast. It has some inherent manufacturing issues like they all do, and the lighting strike last year killed my thunderbolt and NIC (ironically) so I had to reroute through USB3.

I'm not sold on VR either. Fortunately I have a door on my office that I can close so no one sees me looking like a ing geek if I do use one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ROG I have is huge and heavy. I don't know much about the smaller models, but this one is a beast. It has some inherent manufacturing issues like they all do, and the lighting strike last year killed my thunderbolt and NIC (ironically) so I had to reroute through USB3.

I'm not sold on VR either. Fortunately I have a door on my office that I can close so no one sees me looking like a ing geek if I do use one.
    Hows the battery life on it? I was impressed with the Razer battery life, considering it has a GTX 1060.

Thread Information