Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll never take anything Tek Syndicate does seriously after he claimed the FX8350 was better than any of the Intel offerings at the time.
    It's funny when I read people complaining about how their GTX 970 isn't giving any boost over their R9 270 and then it always comes out that they're running some kind of crap FX-8350/9590/6300 chip. I have never heard someone with an i5 or i7 complain about the 970 being underwhelming.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Waiting for skylake before upgrading. Right now I just don't see the point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Waiting for skylake before upgrading. Right now I just don't see the point.
    Yeah, but what's the point with Skylake? The mainstream i5 and i7 will still be quadcores. They'll probably still be focused on efficiency and integrated graphics improvements since AMD hasn't done on the desktop since the 8350 in 2012. If you have a Sandy Bridge i5 or better seems like there is no reason to upgrade for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That TekSyndicate guy is the biggest got on the internet. LOL the way he pimps ty FX-8350's as the best gaming CPUs. His stupid benchmarks have FX-8350's crushing overclocked i5's and literally no one else can reproduce his results. AMD FX chips are crap and bottleneck the out of good video cards now.
    Exactly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way its a bottleneck, it's just got to be poor coded utilization of the CPU/GPU. ARMA 3 does that same .
    It's just weird playing Crysis 3 on Very High and getting mostly a locked 60 FPS and then having to go down to High on everything involving the CPU on Crysis 1 (turning AA up to 8x, shaders to very high, textures to very high though doesn't affect since it's CPU bound). Maybe the problem is I bought Crysis 3 and nosTEAMed Crysis 1 though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just started playing Total War Rome 2, speaking of CPU heavy games.. pretty sweet game, I just suck s n s at being a general apparently

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sheeeit I have been playing q2pro sons, all the glory of q2 with high res and texture support runs like buttah

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Resident Evil dropping in a couple days, imma bootleg that shot for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy the credits are long after beating Crysis 1. Must be an hour now.

You guys see the recommended specs for GTA V? An i5 3470 and a GTX 660. A lot lower than I was expecting tbh. Wonder if that is only to get 30fps at 1080p though?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You guys see the recommended specs for GTA V? An i5 3470 and a GTX 660. A lot lower than I was expecting tbh. Wonder if that is only to get 30fps at 1080p though?
    Maybe. A GTX660 is more powerful than either console.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's gonna be epic when it finally releases..they are polishing the out of it, I think they learned something from Ubisofts recent fail.

The Witcher III also has some reasonable requirements, I expect that to run real nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's gonna be epic when it finally releases..they are polishing the out of it, I think they learned something from Ubisofts recent fail.

The Witcher III also has some reasonable requirements, I expect that to run real nice.
    I thought the game was beautiful on 360. I can't wait to see it running on a 970.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So there's no way to put together a system with an i5 + mobo, 8GB of RAM, a relatively good gaming vidcard for under $350, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So there's no way to put together a system with an i5 + mobo, 8GB of RAM, a relatively good gaming vidcard for under $350, right?
    Sure, but it involves a shotgun and a ski mask. You should be used to that from your time in Argentina.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Have you tried Unity yet? FC4 actually runs pretty well on my system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you tried Unity yet? FC4 actually runs pretty well on my system.
    Yeah, FC4 is made by a competent Ubisoft studio..and nah, haven't played Unity, they completely killed the Ass Creed storyline for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but it involves a shotgun and a ski mask. You should be used to that from your time in Argentina.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's that PC vs console conundrum again... I can buy a PS4 for $355 shipped, and I know it's good to run any games for the next 4+ years. If I build a PC nowadays for about the same money, it would be somewhat subpar and I know it will be under-spec in a year or two, meaning I'm gonna have to throw more money at it, which I don't wanna do. I'm gonna wait for now, I won't buy a console without an ODDE, and that just might make the decision for me in the next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's that PC vs console conundrum again... I can buy a PS4 for $355 shipped, and I know it's good to run any games for the next 4+ years. If I build a PC nowadays for about the same money, it would be somewhat subpar and I know it will be under-spec in a year or two, meaning I'm gonna have to throw more money at it, which I don't wanna do. I'm gonna wait for now, I won't buy a console without an ODDE, and that just might make the decision for me in the next year.
    But it's like saying I can buy a Poorsung instead of an iPad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it's like saying I can buy a Poorsung instead of an iPad.
    which one is the iPad and the poorsung in that analogy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you wait for big sales, you might be able to pull that off. You can buy these on sale if you scrounge around.

CPU - $~80ish
    RAM - $60
    GPU - $120
    PSU - $30
    Case - $25
    Mobo - $40
    HDD - $50

That's pretty close to the Ps4 price point.

But you also have to keep in mind that every game you buy on PS4 is going to be $60 and they won't decrease in price for a while, vs. buying games on Steam or through Humble Bundle that can easily get you AAA within a couple of months for half off, if not more. I got Shadow of Mordor 2 months after it came out for $20.

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/com...my_9_year_old/

If this guy would have waited for a RAM sale, he could have upped his CPU to an i3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or you can do what I did and ing savage eBay for a couple of weeks. The laptop I'm typing on now I got for $475 and will run most new games on high if not completely maxed out. Pretty sick. And unlike a console I can take it with me, AND I have all my games that I've purchased ready to install and play on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Cry. I went to pcpart ker and you just can't find a reasonable i5 for under $120 bucks. I already know I have to over-spec the PC a bit, because devs just target higher end PCs. I have a box at work with an i5, I know that's certainly the CPU I want.

I've seen some Radeons for $120, will those give me more than 10-15 fps in a couple of years?

I have a spare SSD and probably case too, just need get a PSU, and obviously mobo and RAM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anything less than about $700 for a gaming PC is stupid. This would probably be your best bang for your buck system right now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $711.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-31 13:33 EST-0500

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ thanks bum. Yeah, that's what I figured.

I'm gonna be thinking about it, it's also time to replace my Mini here at home, might just wrap all together... we'll see how things develop in the next couple months.

Thread Information