Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1522
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL guilty confession. If it makes you feel any better I'm playing Half Life 1 on a once $350 GPU (GTX 970) right now. That game could be run flawlessly on my GeForce 8400 GS (which was a spectacularly weak GPU when it came out in 2009 ). If you haven't played the Half Life series, it's a must btw. The Source version of Half Life 1 is the one to get though, the 1999 original is a real to run on a modern Windows. But it's an amazing series:

Half Life 1 --> Half Life 2 --> Half Life 2 Episode 1 --> Half Life 2 Episode 2 --> Portal 1 --> Portal 2 --> Hopefully someday Half Life 3
    Witcher 3 looks to be a spectacular game. I just played the first few minutes of the tutorial, and and it hits on story, visuals, and game play.

Half life will be put on the short list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you ever remove the drivers using DDU and then reinstall from nvidia?

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/105037/en-us

If you have done that, post a Firestrike score done with nothing else going in the background. You should easily pull 17500 to 19000 on graphics. Getting your driver situation handled is important for turning on all the eye candy in Witcher 3, especially Hairworks. Hairworks is a really cool effect, but it needs a really serious gpu to be able to run it without tanking framerates way below 60 fps. My GTX 970 isn't up to the task at 1080p, but your GTX 1070 is about 60% stronger than my GTX 970 in that game and I bet you will be able to get a consistent 60 fps with it on once you get drivers sorted out. But your $450 gpu is going to perform like a $300 one until you get the drivers right.
    Not yet. I think I will try that this weekend. I hate mucking around with drivers, but know they are key to getting the most out of hardware.

Drivers and overclocking. I will NOT buy this ing cool of a system and puss out on getting it buffed. This is the kind of a computer that I have wanted for years. Now I have the grown up $$$ to do it, so I am going to.

Must say though, that I blew waaay past the $1400 budget. Add in the monitor, and it will probably top $2k by the time I am done.

Luckily wife knows we have the money, and have needed a new computer for a while. I will not need to buy a new one for quite a while after this, so that helped sell it too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick question if I take out my OS drive and put it in another computer as the OS drive will it corrupt windows and I'll need to reinstall windows 8.1?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick question if I take out my OS drive and put it in another computer as the OS drive will it corrupt windows and I'll need to reinstall windows 8.1?
    Should be fine, I have done it many times before. I had some issues with it years ago but that was before Windows 7.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be fine, I have done it many times before. I had some issues with it years ago but that was before Windows 7.
    I thought Windows licenses were tied to specific motherboards. At least with OEM Windows. Maybe it's different with retail Windows?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst case you have to call Microsoft and tell them you changed motherboards.... they'll reauthorize it online

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the biggest issue is that you might need to start in safe mode, since video drivers might crash your bootup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not yet. I think I will try that this weekend. I hate mucking around with drivers, but know they are key to getting the most out of hardware.

Drivers and overclocking. I will NOT buy this ing cool of a system and puss out on getting it buffed. This is the kind of a computer that I have wanted for years. Now I have the grown up $$$ to do it, so I am going to.

Must say though, that I blew waaay past the $1400 budget. Add in the monitor, and it will probably top $2k by the time I am done.

Luckily wife knows we have the money, and have needed a new computer for a while. I will not need to buy a new one for quite a while after this, so that helped sell it too.
    If you're going to go big you should consider a 1440p GSync IPS panel. About $700-$800 but it would alleviate the need to try to optimize for a locked 60 fps, as supposedly you can drop down to 45 fps or so and it still looks good since the refresh rate from the monitor would be perfectly in sync with the render rate from the gpu. You could save a few bucks going with a TN panel but might as well go IPS for the better viewing angles and colors. 1440p has about 78% more pixels than 1080p so the image quality is significantly higher than 1080p, and you have a very legit 1440p gpu with the 1070.

But your gpu will age (gpu technology still advances way faster than cpu tech) and in a couple of years you will need to turn down settings to get that locked 60 fps. Using a 60 Hz monitor I usually aim for settings that would have me averaging about 80 fps if I turned VSync off, which ensures my frame dips usually aren't much below 60 fps. But with a GSync monitor you could target 60 fps average and your monentary dips to 45-50 fps in particulary taxing sections of the game probably wouldn't be noticeable. I say probably because I haven't used a GSync panel, I don't know anyone who has one and you just can't go see a display of one at Best Buy or Altex. But supposedly that synchronization between refresh and render rate really smooths out occasional frame drops.

Anyways, GSync would allow you to play games from 45 fps to 144 fps. If you can get 80-90 fps in games it's really ing sweet. It's not the night and day difference that 60 fps is over 30 fps, but it's still pretty badass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Windows licenses were tied to specific motherboards. At least with OEM Windows. Maybe it's different with retail Windows?
    OEM is tied to motherboard which is recorded by ms

retail is not tied to the motherboard (but a fresh install is recommended if its going to be main drive again, if not no need to format clean install unless u want that hdd space)
    if its going to be main drive, and u dont do a fresh install, the previous motherboard drivers is going to conflict with the new motherboard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the biggest issue is that you might need to start in safe mode, since video drivers might crash your bootup
    Yeah that is my worry. I hate messing around with video drivers for that reason. If something goes wrong, a lot of the time you can't see anything to be able to fix it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looking at these clowns who buy the high end cards like 1070/1080 fe...

yet they game on a fkn 1080 screen? investing in such a card, you should be gaming at leasts on a 1440 or 144mhz screen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looking at these clowns who buy the high end cards like 1070/1080 fe...

yet they game on a fkn 1080 screen? investing in such a card, you should be gaming at leasts on a 1440 or 144mhz screen
    Pretty sure no card on the market could do 144000000 fps tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    u know how there is ddr3 for pc
    then ddr5 or hbm for video cards
    and then server ram

why not have hbm ram for the pc? which is faster then whatever ddr standard format currently is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1200 for anx pascal, buut its performance is only about 5-7% better then the gtx1080 overclock version... anx doesnt justify 1200bucks

hence when 1080ti is released, htf are they going to slot that between 1080 oveclock and anx? in terms of performance price ratio?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1200 for anx pascal, buut its performance is only about 5-7% better then the gtx1080 overclock version... anx doesnt justify 1200bucks

hence when 1080ti is released, htf are they going to slot that between 1080 oveclock and anx? in terms of performance price ratio?
    Huh? an X Pascal is like 25% better than GTX 1080 at 1080p and 35% better at 4k. The cooler really sucks on it though, it's not even good for the 1080 much less the much hotter running an X Pascal. I bet these ans will ing kill in watercooled systems though, and if you're spending $1200 on a video card what's another $100 for a waterblock?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got Witcher 3.

Great RPG game. visually awesome, with an awful lot of obvious thought put into story and so forth.

Moral/technical conundrum: See "loot" everywhere, including peasant houses that I can just wander into. What happens if I pick the place clean? I don't think it is harmful, although I feel guilty doing it. I would prefer to play as realistically/ethically as possible, but if it is not harmful at all, then I am happy to vacuum up everything I can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got Witcher 3.

Great RPG game. visually awesome, with an awful lot of obvious thought put into story and so forth.

Moral/technical conundrum: See "loot" everywhere, including peasant houses that I can just wander into. What happens if I pick the place clean? I don't think it is harmful, although I feel guilty doing it. I would prefer to play as realistically/ethically as possible, but if it is not harmful at all, then I am happy to vacuum up everything I can.
    I wouldn't worry about realism tbh, I mean you're a freaking mutant slaying harpies and flying dragons and .

If you like the game the two expansions (Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine) are highly worth getting also. Or did you buy a Game of the Year edition with all the DLC already installed? Witcher 3 is pretty much the gold standard of PC gaming, and it's definitely one of the games that makes you glad you have a good video card and good cpu. Are you running with HBAO+ turned on? It really makes the indoor lighting spectacular, and your gpu will easily handle it (mine does and your's is about 55% better). You can easily spend 300 hours in this game, there is an enormous amount of content. It took me months to play.

One tip: really pay attention to the choices you make. The important ones are timed and can greatly affect the way the story plays out. Without giving spoilers, there are multiple main endings for the game. So pay attention to who you ally with and what choices you make, don't just run through them.

Also the story is based on a series of books. CD Projekt Red didn't come up with the story on their own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got my case, gpu, motherboard and ram. only a few more components to go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After a bunch of thought, I decided to pick up a Steam controller.. The customization options are great, being able to browse the best community mappings from the menu is convenient. The trackpads feel responsive after some tweaking of sensitivity and haptic feedback. It will take some getting used to, but it was decent w/ GTA V.

My only gripe at this point is the terrible placement of the face buttons, and not having a right stick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After a bunch of thought, I decided to pick up a Steam controller.. The customization options are great, being able to browse the best community mappings from the menu is convenient. The trackpads feel responsive after some tweaking of sensitivity and haptic feedback. It will take some getting used to, but it was decent w/ GTA V.

My only gripe at this point is the terrible placement of the face buttons, and not having a right stick.
    Man that thing looks like . If it takes getting used to you should just send it back for a refund. First time I tried an XBox 360 controller it felt second nature and it's still far and away the best controller I have ever used.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The DS4 is the best controller ever, IMO. Wish Sony would do a full blow bluetooth driver for it for Windows, instead of the USB only support. Especially with support for the headphone port...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The DS4 is the best controller ever, IMO. Wish Sony would do a full blow bluetooth driver for it for Windows, instead of the USB only support. Especially with support for the headphone port...
    I have never tried it. I loved the DS2, and hated the DS3. What makes the DS4 better than the X360 controller to you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man that thing looks like . If it takes getting used to you should just send it back for a refund. First time I tried an XBox 360 controller it felt second nature and it's still far and away the best controller I have ever used.
    I already have a 360 controller, wanted something different. It's pretty damn good so far. This mouse+gyro mapping I downloaded for GTA V is the .. being able to fine tune your shots with a slight tilt is fun as . I just hate the face buttons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have never tried it. I loved the DS2, and hated the DS3. What makes the DS4 better than the X360 controller to you?
    It has the headphone plug, microphone built-in, gyroscope sensor, two-motor rumble, clickable mul ouch touchpad with 1920x1080 resolution (you can use it like a laptop trackpad), and the multi-color LED is ing cool (you can basically set any color for it, on GTA V, for example, toggless between red and blue when you're being chased by cops). The ergonomics are nice, it feels solid and a little heavy (which I like), probably due to a hefty rechargeable battery in it.

Thread Information