Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1522
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point. I was thinking of doing that in my Alpha iPhone 7plus+, but now that my iWatch is running Pokemon Go, I'm gonna have to use the phone for text messages.

I thought about buying a 23" monitor for that, but it would be kinda inconvenient on a plane... any suggestions, tbh?
    Drive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $800 seems really optimistic even on Black Friday prices, especially if you're building an ITX system. I doubt you see the 1070 get any cheaper. Ballpark I'd expect something like

CPU: i5-6600k on sale ($200)
    COOLER: Cryorig H7 ($25 on sale, best bang for your buck cooler on the market right now)
    BOARD: Some mini ITX Z170 on sale ($110)
    GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC ($415)
    SSD: Crucial MX300 275GB (maybe $50 on sale)
    HD: 2TB mechanical (maybe $60 on sale)
    CASE: ITX case (maybe $40 on sale)
    PSU: Some modular Seasonic or EVGA B2 550W (maybe $50 on sale)

So about $950 might be a reasonable guess for a 6600k system that can be overclocked. For a locked 6500 system I think you'd be looking in the ballpark of $850:

CPU: i5-6500 on sale ($180)
    COOLER: stock cooler ($0)
    BOARD: Some H110/B150/H170 mini ITX on sale ($70)
    GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC ($415)
    SSD: Crucial MX300 275GB (maybe $50 on sale)
    HD: 2TB mechanical (maybe $60 on sale)
    CASE: ITX case (maybe $40 on sale)
    PSU: A reasonable 500W unit (maybe $35 on sale)

I would not expect 1070 prices to fall at all for Black Friday. In 2014 the GTX 970 maintained its full MSRP throughout the entire month of November. It was the year old R9 290 that got the big discounts. Considering AMD doesn't even have a 1070 compe or this time around I can't see why the GTX 1070 would go down in price even a nickel.
    Mmm, check my build again. It's a fragbox, no room for a CPU cooler. :P

And I've already seen 1070s in the ~365 range, so I do think we'll see them drop pretty significantly on BF, maybe even down to $350 for doorbusters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mmm, check my build again. It's a fragbox, no room for a CPU cooler. :P

And I've already seen 1070s in the ~365 range, so I do think we'll see them drop pretty significantly on BF, maybe even down to $350 for doorbusters.
    You have to buy a CPU cooler with the 6600k, it doesn't come with a stock cooler. Where are you seeing 1070s for $365? The absolute cheapest one on pcpart ker's listings is $405. I have never seen a single 1070 at even the $380 MSRP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to buy a CPU cooler with the 6600k, it doesn't come with a stock cooler. Where are you seeing 1070s for $365? The absolute cheapest one on pcpart ker's listings is $405. I have never seen a single 1070 at even the $380 MSRP.
    Jet.com had it for $357. Probably expired now. But prices will continue to fall.

http://slickdeals.net/f/9136999-giga...src=SiteSearch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jet.com makes you jump through a bunch of hoops like paying with debit card and not being able to return the product, that doesn't count.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also man, you wouldn't want to use the stock cooler with a 120W OC i5 anyways bro, especially in a mini ITX box. For something small it might make sense to buy a Noctua low profile cooler. In Skylake Intel downgraded the stock coolers on the i5/i7. You used to get a copper contact on the i5/i7 stock coolers but now the locked i5/i7 get the old Celeron/Pentium/i3 cooler which is just straight aluminum (and the unlocked i5/i7 get no stock cooler period).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WCCFtech is reporting the GTX 1080 Ti is being launched at CES in January and that it has 7.5% fewer CUDA cores than the an X Pascal but is clocked 86 MHz higher. It's supposed to still have 12GB GDDR5X just like an X.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-launch-january/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also man, you wouldn't want to use the stock cooler with a 120W OC i5 anyways bro, especially in a mini ITX box. For something small it might make sense to buy a Noctua low profile cooler. In Skylake Intel downgraded the stock coolers on the i5/i7. You used to get a copper contact on the i5/i7 stock coolers but now the locked i5/i7 get the old Celeron/Pentium/i3 cooler which is just straight aluminum (and the unlocked i5/i7 get no stock cooler period).
    Meh honestly I don't know if I'd worry about the space in an ITX rig... the one I have now runs just fine under load with a stock cooler.

That said, if they don't come with coolers I'd absolutely buy a good low profile one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh honestly I don't know if I'd worry about the space in an ITX rig... the one I have now runs just fine under load with a stock cooler.

That said, if they don't come with coolers I'd absolutely buy a good low profile one.
    Didn't you say you can't overclock for with a stock cooler on your 2500k? I don't think it's reasonable to expect any reasonable OC with those. There actually is a way to overclock an i5-6500 through the BCLK like back in the old days if you ever OC'ed in the 90s (eg like increasing the FSB on the $200 Celeron 300A to make it perform in line with a $500 Pentium II). It disables AVX instructions though, as well as disabling temp readouts and the IGPU (WGAF about that though?). If you want I can post more information, it'll require buying one of a few AsRock, MSI, or Asus Z170 boards as well as flashing an old BIOS from a few months ago onto it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need at least a Cannonlake i9 to run this tbh.
    LOL so there will be Skylake Core i9. Didn't have to wait for Cannonlake.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57529/...wer/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have a i5 2500k/ GTX 680.... time to upgrade I guess

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have a i5 2500k/ GTX 680.... time to upgrade I guess
    If you are staying at 1080, just get a new video card and you are set.. I recently changed from 2600k with 560ti to a 1060 and performance is great. Lots of benchmarks show the cpu won't bottle neck the card.
    If you are going over 1080 then yes you need to upgrade the cpu too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are staying at 1080, just get a new video card and you are set.. I recently changed from 2600k with 560ti to a 1060 and performance is great. Lots of benchmarks show the cpu won't bottle neck the card.
    I don't think resolution matters when it comes to cpu. Physics, AI, and so on are resolution independent. The 2500k is starting to show its age a bit now that we're deeply into the eighth console generation where games are optimized for the low IPC, low clockspeed octacores in the XB1/PS4. The 2600k seems to be holding up a lot better thanks to the hyperthreading. I'm not sure I'd upgrade quite yet if I had a 2500k though. A GTX 1060 or an RX 480/580 would be a pretty nice upgrade from a 680 for 1080p gaming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the mid-tier 2017 i7s are bottlenecking, you bet your ass the 2600k is. It's a great chip, but it's run it's course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the mid-tier 2017 i7s are bottlenecking, you bet your ass the 2600k is. It's a great chip, but it's run it's course.
    What are you talking about? Modern i7 doesn't have any trouble hitting 60 fps, not even Sandy Bridge i7 do. Now if you're running a 144 Hz panel then you'll hit cpu limits on even a 5.1 GHz i7-7700k (by far the best gaming cpu on the market) pretty regularly if you have the gpu horsepower.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you talking about? Modern i7 doesn't have any trouble hitting 60 fps, not even Sandy Bridge i7 do. Now if you're running a 144 Hz panel then you'll hit cpu limits on even a 5.1 GHz i7-7700k (by far the best gaming cpu on the market) pretty regularly if you have the gpu horsepower.
    My point is that we're definitely in an era where the 2600k may not be enough depending on your gaming habits.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not a fan of the video format but that's what I based my comment on. Bb is right that games are beginning to optimize for more threads, but that's a slow process bulk of install base is i5 and below. It's not necessary to change everything at once unless you are doing streaming, 3D, vr, 1440+, etc, you can go piece by piece and doing gpu first / cpu later will give you more performance gains per dollar. But if the money is burning a hole in your pocket go ahead and knock yourself out!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Case: Phantek EVOLV
    Exterior: Not Painted
    Current Special Offers: Dads and Grads Promo Free 250GB Samsung SSD and More
    The ORIGIN Difference: ORIGIN PC Neuron - The Best Gaming Experience Guaranteed
    Case Lighting: Blue LED
    Case Fans: ORIGIN PC High-Performance Ultra Silent Fans
    Power Supply: 1000 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3
    Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z270G
    System Cooling: ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling System for 1151 Socket
    Processors: Intel Core i7 7700K Quad-Core 4.2GHz (4.5GHz TurboBoost)
    ORIGIN Professional Processor Overclocking: ORIGIN PC Professional Processor Overclocking DT
    Graphic Cards: Single 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
    Memory: 16GB ORIGIN PC DDR4 Powered by Kingston 2666MHz (4 X 4GB)
    Operating System: MS Windows 10 Home
    Intel Optane Memory Drive (Operating System Drive): None
    Hard Drive One (Operating System Drive #1): [FREE] 250GB Samsung 850 Evo Series
    Hard Drive Two EVOLV: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2
    Audio: On Board High Definition 8-Channel Audio
    Networking: Onboard Network Port

Thoughts on specs? Looking for high end gaming desktop, so judge and critique the combination/GPU/CPU/Memory (is 16G enough?)/storage...

Power Supply overkill? Drop to 850?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    System Cooling: ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling System for 1151 Socket
    ORIGIN Professional Processor Overclocking: ORIGIN PC Professional Processor Overclocking DT

Thoughts on specs? Looking for high end gaming desktop, so judge and critique the combination/GPU/CPU/Memory (is 16G enough?)/storage...

I wouldn't use a Founders Edition 1080 Ti unless I was doing a system in a mini ITX case. In a normal sized case I'd get an open air card since it'll keep the core cooler and thus keep it boosting to a higher clockspeed than the Founders Edition blowers can hold. I wouldn't bother with the higher end 1080 Ti though, eg like EVGA Hybrid, Asus Strix, MSI Gaming Z, etc. Overclocking doesn't seem to do for performance this generation with how aggressive GPU Boost 3.0 already is out of the box. A lot of times overclocking seems to actually bring gaming performance down on Pascal cards since it seems to cause thermal throttling leading to unsteady clockspeeds, at least according to Gamers Nexus' benchmarks (they're probably second to only Digital Foundry on youtube when it comes to benchmarking PC hardware and games).

Yeah the PSU is real overkill. 1000W is a waste now that 3-way and 4-way SLI are no longer supported by Nvidia. Even a good 750W psu like an EVGA G2 750W would be a bit overkill. I could swear I have seen that Enthoo Evolv case isn't great for liquid cooling either because the top vents are so small, but I can't remember the source. 16GB is good for gaming. We're just getting to the point where 8GB is no longer optimal (eg Battlefield 1 is a real memory hog and will go above 8GB usage).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't use a Founders Edition 1080 Ti unless I was doing a system in a mini ITX case. In a normal sized case I'd get an open air card since it'll keep the core cooler and thus keep it boosting to a higher clockspeed than the Founders Edition blowers can hold. I wouldn't bother with the higher end 1080 Ti though, eg like EVGA Hybrid, Asus Strix, MSI Gaming Z, etc. Overclocking doesn't seem to do for performance this generation with how aggressive GPU Boost 3.0 already is out of the box. A lot of times overclocking seems to actually bring gaming performance down on Pascal cards since it seems to cause thermal throttling leading to unsteady clockspeeds, at least according to Gamers Nexus' benchmarks (they're probably second to only Digital Foundry on youtube when it comes to benchmarking PC hardware and games).

Yeah the PSU is real overkill. 1000W is a waste now that 3-way and 4-way SLI are no longer supported by Nvidia. Even a good 750W psu like an EVGA G2 750W would be a bit overkill. I could swear I have seen that Enthoo Evolv case isn't great for liquid cooling either because the top vents are so small, but I can't remember the source. 16GB is good for gaming. We're just getting to the point where 8GB is no longer optimal (eg Battlefield 1 is a real memory hog and will go above 8GB usage).
    Future proofing: is it a real thing or just a money sink for better sounding specs?

Will your suggestions enable future proofing or would I be only a couple years out from needing to upgrade? (granted you could get two systems using your specs for the price of that one I quoted)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Future proofing: is it a real thing or just a money sink for better sounding specs?

Will your suggestions enable future proofing or would I be only a couple years out from needing to upgrade? (granted you could get two systems using your specs for the price of that one I quoted)
    GPUs still improve way too quickly to think you can future proof on them, at least if you're gaming at a resolution and settings that will push current hardware hard. For example, the $700 king of the hill GTX 780 Ti released in November 2013 performs in new games at about the level of the very low end $130 GTX 1050 Ti released last October. If you're looking to game in 4k a GTX 1080 Ti is enough right now to play most games at high settings and get 60 fps, but I doubt that lasts long. In the past you used to be able to buy two gpus to run in SLI to get good performance at resolutions like 1440p (though now 1440p is pretty easy now with a single gpu: the GTX 980 Ti, GTX 1070, GTX 1080, and GTX 1080 Ti can easily handle it), but multi gpu support has been horrible the last year or two. If you're willing to lower settings you can make a good gpu last though. I'm still loving my GTX 970 from October 2014, though occasionally I have to drops a few settings to medium to get 60 fps at 1080p now.

CPU and board have been pretty future proof this decade. If you bought a $300 i7-2600k back in January 2011 it's still an excellent gaming cpu. Even a $200 i5-2500k from January 2011 is still pretty solid, though it is starting to show its age a bit since it doens't have hyperthreading and games seem to be optimized for moar corez now since PS4/XB1 are both using effectively very low clocked octacore cpus (really two quadcores in parallel).

If you're trying to game in 4k it'll probably be a money pit because of gpu costs. At 1440p or lower I would guess a 1080 Ti should last you 3 years or so before you have to really start taking a hatchet to settings. If you're not in a rush Nvidia should have Volta gpus available this year on 12 nm lithography (Pascal is 16 nm). You won't get the big die card right away (eg the an or 80 Ti). I imagine the GTX 2080 (or maybe they call it 1180) will be their midsize die and outperform the GTX 1080 Ti by 10-20% or so at around 150W (versus 250W for the 1080 Ti) based on past history. Then you'll get the big die gaming card as a $1200 an sometime in 2018, and then it'll get rebranded as say a $750 GTX 2080 Ti (or 1180 Ti) once yields are good enough to make that more profitable (so ans are essentially early adopter taxes). At least that's how the last two generations (2014-17) have gone with Nvidia cards.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 06-28-2017 at 04:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But gpu is the only thing I'd worry too much about replacing. Maybe this trend we're in dies once Intel is able to replace silicon with graphene, but their die shrinks have not been going too well lately. Eg the Broadwell shrink to 14 nm from the 22 nm process used in Haswell (2013) got pushed back more than a year to 2016, and ended up only really being sold for mobile. Lots of people who bought Z97 boards with placeholder cpus in 2014 were pissed when Broadwell never got a real desktop release (there were two desktop Broadwell chips that got extremely limited release and were ridiculously overpriced). Then Intel was supposed to be at 10 nm by early 2017 and they are way off that target. They're going to release another 14 nm generation later this year that's going to be same architecturally as the chips they released two generations back (Skylake). They'll probably have a little lower power consumption and a small clock bump, but otherwise they'll be the same. Progress in gaming cpus has been glacial this decade, though AMD has finally started catching up to Intel with their Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 cpus released a couple of months ago. Maybe that will motivate Intel?
    Last edited by baseline bum; 06-28-2017 at 07:56 PM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

I would add a regular SATA drive for automatic backups off the two SSD's.

Bluray rewriter?

I suppose 16 GB is enough, but who knows with near future games? I would just max out the memory too. I have 32 GB with my system running the i7-4790. Slow compared to yours, but still sweet.

If the 960 EVO matches right with the motherboard, you'll love its performance.

Thread Information