Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061
Results 1,501 to 1,522 of 1522
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking at the new line of MSI laptops a few hours ago. they are well into the $3k and up for the top of the line.
    Yes, but OTOH the video cards in them are not mobile cards. They're very close to the equivalent of desktops. Nvidia really did a great job on the 10xx series.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but OTOH the video cards in them are not mobile cards. They're very close to the equivalent of desktops. Nvidia really did a great job on the 10xx series.
    The mobile 1070 is actually cut down less than the desktop one is from the 1080. Go figure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mobile 1070 is actually cut down less than the desktop one is from the 1080. Go figure.
    Which is weird because it's not like the 1080 is some monster. The TI is the real heat/power card.

My 1080 only uses 1 8 pin connector. ing ridiculous. And it's smaller than any card I've had in years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is weird because it's not like the 1080 is some monster. The TI is the real heat/power card.

My 1080 only uses 1 8 pin connector. ing ridiculous. And it's smaller than any card I've had in years.
    Nvidia has a 1070 Ti coming out in a little less than a month which is a barely cut down 1080. Eg 5% less CUDA cores and 9% lower FLOPS, probably due to it using GDDR5 instead of GDDR5X. If it comes out at $400 it'll be tempting, but since it uses the cheaper VRAM it'll probably be a huge hit with the mining gots. The 1080 hasn't gone up too much in price after the price cut to $500 since GDDR5X sucks at ether mining. For a while the 1070 was actually more expensive than the 1080 because the 1070 is a much better card at mining ether.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nvidia has a 1070 Ti coming out in a little less than a month which is a barely cut down 1080. Eg 5% less CUDA cores and 9% lower FLOPS, probably due to it using GDDR5 instead of GDDR5X. If it comes out at $400 it'll be tempting, but since it uses the cheaper VRAM it'll probably be a huge hit with the mining gots. The 1080 hasn't gone up too much in price after the price cut to $500 since GDDR5X sucks at ether mining. For a while the 1070 was actually more expensive than the 1080 because the 1070 is a much better card at mining ether.
    I got my 1080 new for $455. Think I'll be happy with it for 3-4 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now just waiting for the Rift (tomorrow).

Probably work great once I get a PC that will run it

I have friends that play for hours with these things, no problems. I am subject to motion sickness (can't play Half Life) myself so I'll know for sure soon. Might be a really good OR deal coming soon.
    So after a few months what are your impressions of the Rift? Are you able to play it for a long time without getting sick? Are racing games games and flight simulators really crazy on it? Any epic games in VR? I'm tempted to get a Rift for Skyrim VR when it comes to PC, and Resident Evil 7 is supposed to be ridiculous in VR.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So after a few months what are your impressions of the Rift? Are you able to play it for a long time without getting sick? Are racing games games and flight simulators really crazy on it? Any epic games in VR? I'm tempted to get a Rift for Skyrim VR when it comes to PC, and Resident Evil 7 is supposed to be ridiculous in VR.
    It's quite amazing. I don't use it a lot because it removes me from my surroundings to the point that I feel disconnected from reality. However when I do use it, it's like nothing you've ever done. Flight sims are an experience. In a space flight sim, you have a spaceship. I don't mean you're playing a game with a spaceship as an interface, but you actually feel like you have a spaceship. You can stand up in your ship, walk behind your seat, stare out the canopy. PvP is amazing, you can track your enemy like you would naturally, and stay right on them. In 2D, you have to rely on your radar too much to know where they are.

You cannot describe it to anyone and make any real impact. The person has to experience it then they will immediately know.

Elite Dangerous in VR is epic. There's a combat flight sim that's just getting started that feels pretty good though the graphics aren't as good as ED yet.

It doesn't make me sick, but it does give me a headache after a couple hours.

There are a number of free game and apps you can download. Some are pretty cool, some just meh. You can tell it's just getting warmed up, but you can also see right away that VR isn't leaving. It will be the business model for the future. I can imagine having meetings in VR since you can show concepts and others can adjust the concepts real time. I even built something for a customer in VR, walked around it, saw a problem and sure enough, they had that issue when I called them. Pretty cool.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's quite amazing. I don't use it a lot because it removes me from my surroundings to the point that I feel disconnected from reality. However when I do use it, it's like nothing you've ever done. Flight sims are an experience. In a space flight sim, you have a spaceship. I don't mean you're playing a game with a spaceship as an interface, but you actually feel like you have a spaceship. You can stand up in your ship, walk behind your seat, stare out the canopy. PvP is amazing, you can track your enemy like you would naturally, and stay right on them. In 2D, you have to rely on your radar too much to know where they are.

You cannot describe it to anyone and make any real impact. The person has to experience it then they will immediately know.

Elite Dangerous in VR is epic. There's a combat flight sim that's just getting started that feels pretty good though the graphics aren't as good as ED yet.

There are a number of free game and apps you can download. Some are pretty cool, some just meh. You can tell it's just getting warmed up, but you can also see right away that VR isn't leaving. It will be the business model for the future. I can imagine having meetings in VR since you can show concepts and others can adjust the concepts real time. I even built something for a customer in VR, walked around it, saw a problem and sure enough, they had that issue when I called them. Pretty cool.
    What flight sims are you playing?

I might get a VR headset depending on the feeback Ace Combat 7 gets. It looks intense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What flight sims are you playing?

I might get a VR headset depending on the feeback Ace Combat 7 gets. It looks intense.
    CAP2 is the only flight sim I've downloaded thus far. There's really not much to it right now, just a few flying missions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Man that sounds great. Have you played any first person walking simulator kind of games, and if so, what have you thought? Eg games like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I have never had any doubt that VR is going to be huge, but I have always been leery about being an early adopter. Skyrim VR though might push me to buy. I heard one way they've helped minimize the motion sickness is to narrow your field of vision when you're walking forward. Little tweaks like that are what I'm waiting for after seeing reviews where games like Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Project Cars made the reviewer sick after fifteen minutes. But seeing a stream with someone able to comfortably play Skyrim VR for four hours on the woefully underpowered PS VR makes me think we might be getting close to this becoming a huge platform for gaming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man that sounds great. Have you played any first person walking simulator kind of games, and if so, what have you thought? Eg games like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I have never had any doubt that VR is going to be huge, but I have always been leery about being an early adopter. Skyrim VR though might push me to buy. I heard one way they've helped minimize the motion sickness is to narrow your field of vision when you're walking forward. Little tweaks like that are what I'm waiting for after seeing reviews where games like Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Project Cars made the reviewer sick after fifteen minutes. But seeing a stream with someone able to comfortably play Skyrim VR for four hours on the woefully underpowered PS VR makes me think we might be getting close to this becoming a huge platform for gaming.
    I haven't done any move around games, other than the ghost shooting game that's cartoonish. I want to try the climbing sim and a few others. I'm just getting going on it tbh.

There's supposed to be a higher resolution version coming out soon.

As long as you have the GPU to push it, I don't think you'll regret getting it, especially if you live in a situation that allows you to leave reality for extended periods of time without constant shoulder taps to get your attention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was all for the Rift when it was announced, but reading people opinions on the different forums leads me to belive the Vive might be the better of the two.. A lot of people have said that room space technology is the difference maker.. baseline bum if you are looking for the walk around type experience, I believe you would prefer the Vive.. does the Rift even track anything other than head movement?

Payday 2 just released the latest version with VR support, would love to do some heists in VR tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was all for the Rift when it was announced, but reading people opinions on the different forums leads me to belive the Vive might be the better of the two.. A lot of people have said that room space technology is the difference maker.. baseline bum if you are looking for the walk around type experience, I believe you would prefer the Vive.. does the Rift even track anything other than head movement?

Payday 2 just released the latest version with VR support, would love to do some heists in VR tbh..
    Nah man I'm not wanting to actually be standing and moving around. That seems like that would be hard to do for hours at a time in Skyrim for example. The Rift has always been the system I was more interested in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah man I'm not wanting to actually be standing and moving around. That seems like that would be hard to do for hours at a time in Skyrim for example. The Rift has always been the system I was more interested in.
    If I was to buy one, one, I'm looking at price, two, I am gonna go with the one that has the best res and head tracking latency.. I don't really care about the other

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Track anything other than head movement? I can walk around in my office and it does just fine. It has touch controllers. What else could it track?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Track anything other than head movement? I can walk around in my office and it does just fine. It has touch controllers. What else could it track?
    Room space on Rift is news to me.. So you bought extra sensors? Head movement and room position translating to in game positioning is all I'm talking about

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got a new case last week, Fractal Design R5. Hadn't had a new case in over ten years, this thing is awesome and near silent, lots of cutouts for cable management.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got a new case last week, Fractal Design R5. Hadn't had a new case in over ten years, this thing is awesome and near silent, lots of cutouts for cable management.
    What are your idle temps like on the processor and GPU? That case looks nice, but doesn't seem to promote a ton of air flow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are your idle temps like on the processor and GPU? That case looks nice, but doesn't seem to promote a ton of air flow.
    39C on my 1800X and I just played Quake Champions for 30 mins, 55C on the GPU. I have a Corsair H60 in there on the processor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    39C on my 1800X and I just played Quake Champions for 30 mins, 55C on the GPU. I have a Corsair H60 in there on the processor.
    Wow, does the 1800x run a little warm? That's a high for water cooled at idle..

*Edit - NM, slowed down and read the rest of the post Yeah that's not bad at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, does the 1800x run a little warm? That's a high for water cooled at idle..

*Edit - NM, slowed down and read the rest of the post Yeah that's not bad at all
    There are three panels up top with sound dampening that can be removed and replaced with fans too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Room space on Rift is news to me.. So you bought extra sensors? Head movement and room position translating to in game positioning is all I'm talking about
    The rift comes with a sensor and the touch controls come with another sensor, so I have two, but I can move about quite freely with just one sensor as long as I stay in the cone. You have to map out your area while in the headset so that you'll have virtual "walls" that show up when you get near the edge.

Thread Information