Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    What's up dude. Need your input on this as you seem to be a plethora of musical knowledge.

How does he do this?

Is it music?

Is there skill involved?

Musicality?

Where does he draw his inspiration from?

What genre is it?

It is fascinating.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    drew his inspiration from optimus prime

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Avante after you are done with the first video take time to help me with the second.

Is this next guy a musician or just a talented mother ing finger masher?

Could he be considered a genius percussionist?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What's up dude. Need your input on this as you seem to be a plethora of musical knowledge.

How does he do this?

Is it music?

Is there skill involved?

Musicality?

What genre is it?

It is fascinating.
    Fascinating...that's a good word for it. I was thinking I'd watch for a few seconds but stayed for the whole show. I might get one of those things. And then find out, it's too hard.

silverblk mystix
    They both suck balls and are in no way musicians.

The noise they both put out is really gay - although the first one had some "not so ty parts" - yet was still gay.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

How does he do this?

Is it music?

Is there skill involved?

Musicality?

What genre is it?

It is fascinating.

You can bang on an empty coffee can and make music. I have some African tribal music where it's just a bunch of banging on various whatevers...outstanding!

I'd have to give that a try myself to be honest (talking both videos) before I could give some real opinion. I do play the harmonica, slide guitar and yep..coffee cans.

Infuenses and genre a mystery to me.
    Last edited by Avante; 08-21-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

How does he do this? hand eye coordination and memorization

Is it music? yes

Is there skill involved? some

Musicality? rhythm

Where does he draw his inspiration from? simon

What genre is it? edm

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

The noise they both put out is really gay - although the first one had some "not so ty parts" - yet was still gay.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    of course it's music. it obviously takes some skill, though i doubt more than a traditional instrument.

if nothing else he keeps great time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

I'm curious as to why you think they are in no way musicians

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Here are two videos. More chill... not as 'dancy' as edm. More enjoyable for me.

and it's pretty in hard. I've got some friends in the music industry so I've had the chance to mess around a controller. It's harder than it looks, and they make it look simple. The way I see it, you won't be good without fundamental practice. These guys can kill on whatever traditional instrument.

Best example would be Bonobo, who I'd recommend to anyone. It's naive of anyone to think these guys aren't great musicians.

silverblk mystix
    I'm curious as to why you think they are in no way musicians

Because they are not playing an instrument.

They are pushing buttons - which in turn - are already programmed to play a pre-recorded sample of real music.

The people in the studio who played an actual instrument and allowed an engineer to record them - are real musicians.

These button pushers are like the little kids that play video games - they played enough to reach "expert" status - but it doesn't make them experts at shooting guns, driving cars, running,jumping playing football or killing people - all they did was push buttons.

Same thing with these button pushers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Each one of those buttons plays a sound, and in a combination of those button presses you play a melody. It's not a typical instrument, but an instrument nonetheless.

Whether you care for that genre or not, that takes an extreme amount of skill and hand/eye coordination to do what they did on those videos.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Bull , that's like claiming a Guitar Hero expert is a real musician.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Because they are not playing an instrument.

They are pushing buttons - which in turn - are already programmed to play a pre-recorded sample of real music.

The people in the studio who played an actual instrument and allowed an engineer to record them - are real musicians.

These button pushers are like the little kids that play video games - they played enough to reach "expert" status - but it doesn't make them experts at shooting guns, driving cars, running,jumping playing football or killing people - all they did was push buttons.

Same thing with these button pushers.
    We agree a digital keyboard is an instrument yes?

All of the samples from the first video originally came from a keyboard/synth running through Abelton Live. So are you telling me that the guy in the first video is not a musician even though he created the samples himself albeit digitally and then assigned them to buttons to later manipulate in a way that would not be possible without the pad?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Here are two videos. More chill... not as 'dancy' as edm. More enjoyable for me.

and it's pretty in hard. I've got some friends in the music industry so I've had the chance to mess around a controller. It's harder than it looks, and they make it look simple. The way I see it, you won't be good without fundamental practice. These guys can kill on whatever traditional instrument.

Best example would be Bonobo, who I'd recommend to anyone. It's naive of anyone to think these guys aren't great musicians.
    Bonobo is the , love that guy and have seen him many times.

I had a setup in my room I bought just to see how they all created what they did. Abelton live, novation launchpad, acai apc40, thousands of digital instruments, and a reaktor synth program. I could have produced an actual album from my room, minus mastering it of course. It was a ton of fun and really opened my eyes to how difficult it really it is to make quality music this way.

edit* m-audio digital keyboard with drum pad.....none of the above would have done without it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Check out this Pretty Lights do entary if you have time. Instead of taking samples from old vinyl for his new album he goes out and records his own samples and presses them to vinyl, and then uses the new samples from the pressed vinyl to chop and remix for his album. It's a pretty rad idea and the music he creates is sick.

Enjoy

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Check out this Pretty Lights do entary if you have time. Instead of taking samples from old vinyl for his new album he goes out and records his own samples and presses them to vinyl, and then uses the new samples from the pressed vinyl to chop and remix for his album. It's a pretty rad idea and the music he creates is sick.

Enjoy
    Break records essentially?

silverblk mystix
    Each one of those buttons plays a sound, and in a combination of those button presses you play a melody. It's not a typical instrument, but an instrument nonetheless.

Whether you care for that genre or not, that takes an extreme amount of skill and hand/eye coordination to do what they did on those videos.

...but does this make them - musicians?

IMO - no

but hey - if this is a musician to you...

silverblk mystix
    We agree a digital keyboard is an instrument yes?

All of the samples from the first video originally came from a keyboard/synth running through Abelton Live. So are you telling me that the guy in the first video is not a musician even though he created the samples himself albeit digitally and then assigned them to buttons to later manipulate in a way that would not be possible without the pad?

I guess - if you wanted to really stretch it -

maybe - the line is getting blurred -

I don't consider them musicians per se - but I see your point and - if they are manipulating sounds --and

they are also getting people to respond -

then - maybe they are.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ...but does this make them - musicians?

IMO - no

but hey - if this is a musician to you...
    I think that anyone who creates music, no matter the medium, is a musician.

Bull , that's like claiming a Guitar Hero expert is a real musician.
    Be real here. Guitar Hero has the pattern on screen, and there are five buttons on a toy guitar to push. This dude has 64 buttons each programmed with a different sound, and the patterns they are playing are not simple layouts. I understand not getting off to the genre, but I respect the difficulty of what they are doing.

silverblk mystix
    I think that anyone who creates music, no matter the medium, is a musician.

Maybe -

I would say that a person who creates music on a music instrument - is a musician...

but a person who presses buttons on a device with pre-programmed music already recorded -

is a programmer - at best.

But - I understand where you are coming from and it might just be my stubborn traditional thinking getting in my way. I admit it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Controllerism is different that what's been posted, but Ean Golden creates some pretty six mixes..

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can play the harmonica with my nose, dead serious. Yep...music.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Maybe -

I would say that a person who creates music on a music instrument - is a musician...

but a person who presses buttons on a device with pre-programmed music already recorded -

is a programmer - at best.

But - I understand where you are coming from and it might just be my stubborn traditional thinking getting in my way. I admit it.
    I just think the definition of musical instrument, and music itself has changed a lot over the past 10-15 years.

Thread Information