Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defensive counts a lot. It's not just an attribute like passing or three-point shooting like 2K makes it out to be. It's half the damned game. The Spurs having the best defensive front court is a big deal, since it's very likely that they would outperform the Cavs' players in a series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw is a big part of it as well. He is very good defensively.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, but defense counts. He is not better.
    Not when you're a white star, it doesn't. Then you get a free pass, like Nowitzki always has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. There are a lot of players in the NBA who can score. Even crappy teams have to score points. Until you produce in the playoffs when it matters it's kind of like looking good in a scrimmage.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adams is a turnstile on D, and the reason we were up very comfortably 2-0. Ibaka has a jumper, which can be on or off, and nothing else. Neither can legitimately be called a 2 way player.
    This is a comparison. Adams and Ibaka are both better two-way players than Love and Varajao. I expect Adams to be much improved considering he was only a rookie last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love vs. Duncan

Love has impressive offensive skills and very limited defensively
    Love has been a bit of a prima donald (yes, that just happened!) and has never been in the playoffs. His at ude has been less than stellar and a bit of a distraction to his team. Love needs others to make him better, and he's got them now.
    Love wins the one on one game, pretty sure.

Duncan has 5 rings, numerous all-time records, dominates through his presence, will, IQ and just logged a ton of minutes on yet another championship run
    Duncan plays to win and he has succeeded in that in ways that no one else has. Duncan makes others better.
    Duncan wins the playoff series, definitely. He has beaten Malone, Shaq, Nowitzki, Aldridge, D-Ho and many others. Love will be another added to the list if Cleveland gels and faces the Spurs in the Finals.

The Cavs are scary on paper, no doubt. They have a LOT of work to do, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying Love is a "good scorer" is completely selling him short

Love - 26 ppg on 59 TS%, 12.5 rpg
    Duncan - 15 ppg on 53.5 TS%, 9.7 rpg

Love is several tiers above Tim offensively at this point in their careers. Tim, while still a great defender, isn't some top 3 defender in the league like he used to be back in the day. Even if you think Duncan is better than Love while on the court (which is still a huge stretch IMO), you have to take into account that Love can give you 36+ mpg while Tim has to play noticeably less minutes if you want to preserve him for the playoffs.

I love Duncan as much as the next Spurs fan, but let's take off our homer goggles here. Love is clearly better than Duncan at this point.

LeBron is multiple tiers above Kawhi. Love is at least a tier or two above Duncan. I know Splitter > Varejao and Diaw is way better than Tristan Thompson, but I'm having a hard time seeing how we have a better frontcourt. I agree we have the best defensive frontcourt, but LeBron/Love duo is just absolutely insane on offense. I guess the argument is there if you REALLY value defense, but in that case you better have Chicago in the top 3 as well.
    Lebron was clearly outplayed in the NBA Finals by Kawhi, and Lebron has no injury excuses except a few minutes in one game when he cramped up. Furthermore Kawhi is 22 and on the way up. Lebron is 29 and on the way down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how many minutes/games can you count on from Varejao?
    Varejao played 1800 minutes last season. Splitter played 1271. I get your point though...Varejao hasn't exactly been reliable the past 3-4 years. I was mainly talking about Love vs. Duncan. Love's ability to play heavy minutes for an entire season gives him a noticeable advantage over Duncan. Who would you rather have: a great player who gives you 36 mpg, or a very slightly better player (which again, I feel is a stretch when it comes to Love/Duncan) who only gives you 30 mpg?

I honestly just think saying Duncan > Love is a bit ridiculous at this point. The only people who would say this must be the guys who: a) think Love is some horrible defender who is such a liability on D that he's not a top 10 player (not true), or b) think Duncan is still a top 10 player in the league based off how he played last season + playoffs, which again, isn't true.

For the record, I would definitely pick us over the Cavs in the playoffs. Our experience + depth + coaching is what gives us the edge though IMO...not our starting frontcourt vs. theirs.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelicans would have us beat. Tim had issues with Portland too. Never seen him chat on as bad as Alridge
    Not sure what game you were watching, as Splitter was the one shutting down LA, fresh of a skull ing of Dwight Howard.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You sort of touched on it. Duncan won't defend Love. Verajao is not going to tire him out on defense. Splitter can stay with Love all day long. I'm perfectly okay with Kevin Love taking 20 shots with Splitter in his jock. The Cavs might be a really good team, but the Spurs give them more matchup problems in the front court than any team in the league. A lineup with Lebron and Wiggins would have been a far better matchup for them against the Spurs. Duncan wouldn't even be able to stay on the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say Chicago will be really good in the frontcourt this year. After leaving that hole LA, Gasol will return to being a dominant big, especially in the lEastern conference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only issue I see with Chicago's front court is mobility. Gasol is really a center at this point in his career, and while Noah is a mobile and active defender for a center, if he has to play the four consistently on defense, he'll lose some effectiveness. Mirotic and McDermott are both combo-forwards, and I'm not sure if they'll be all that great playing the three on either end.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, but defense counts. He is not better.
    Right, while Love is among the best in the league offensively, Tim is still in the top 15% at his position on offense and a defensive anchor. Love might be one of the worst defensive bigs in the league (though we'll see if he ups his game).

Having never played a game in the playoffs, we'll see how he does next year when teams can game-plan around it. Lebron can't do everything on D.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Varejao played 1800 minutes last season. Splitter played 1271. I get your point though...Varejao hasn't exactly been reliable the past 3-4 years. I was mainly talking about Love vs. Duncan. Love's ability to play heavy minutes for an entire season gives him a noticeable advantage over Duncan. Who would you rather have: a great player who gives you 36 mpg, or a very slightly better player (which again, I feel is a stretch when it comes to Love/Duncan) who only gives you 30 mpg?

I honestly just think saying Duncan > Love is a bit ridiculous at this point. The only people who would say this must be the guys who: a) think Love is some horrible defender who is such a liability on D that he's not a top 10 player (not true), or b) think Duncan is still a top 10 player in the league based off how he played last season + playoffs, which again, isn't true.

For the record, I would definitely pick us over the Cavs in the playoffs. Our experience + depth + coaching is what gives us the edge though IMO...not our starting frontcourt vs. theirs.
    The fact is Duncan could still give us 36 minutes a game if he didn't have to play in the playoffs. Love never has to worry about that, now does he. Love is a paper tiger at this point. Not one playoff series, where defense plays a larger role? I don't know that he is as horrible at defense as he's made out to be, but I do believe he'll get exploited. He can put up some monster games in the regular season, offensively, and we won't see that from Duncan anymore, but until Love does something more than score a bunch of points as the first option on a perennially weak team that never made the playoffs, it's difficult to take him as seriously as some do. He is in the perfect situation, now. A place where he doesn't have to take his team to the playoffs, the weak East, with a genuine superstar that can do it for him.

I would, of course, agree that Love will put up better numbers than Duncan at this point in his career, and that may translate to Love being a "better player", but the advantage isn't as great for Love over Tim as the numbers would indicate. Would be great to watch the Old Man 'splain it in June. Right when it's close, during a closeout game, watching Tim set a match to a paper tiger with an up and under to put the game away.

When does the season begin?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone post the backcourt ranking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone post the backcourt ranking?
    1. Los Angeles Clippers (Chris Paul and J.J. Re )

Congrats, Steve Ballmer, that $2 billion price tag comes with some cool features, namely the most well-rounded backcourt in the NBA. Once again, Chris Paul ranks as Bradford Doolittle's top point guard in the NBA, but in case you've been living under a rock, he's this generation's model of how to play point: excellent distributor, controller of game tempo, terrific penetration and finishing skills, deadly pull-up game, outstanding vision, elite IQ, vicious on-ball defense, clutch-time heroics, etc.

His counterpart, Re , is no star in the conventional sense, but his elite shooting from all areas of the floor, undervalued ability to run secondary pick-and-roll and either score or distribute, and underrated defensive proficiency (particularly within team schemes) make him the perfect complement to Paul.

2. Golden State Warriors (Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson)

Think of the Warriors as a poor man's version of the Clippers' backcourt: Curry, while a much superior individual scoring talent (he might be the best shooter in the history of the NBA when it's all said and done), lacks Paul's ability to mitigate risk while chasing reward; in other words, Curry's passing vision is often let down by his passing inaccuracy, which leads to an above-average turnover rate. Furthermore, his individual defense leaves a lot to be desired, even though he has expressed a desire recently to take on a larger role on that end of the floor. (It always amuses me when players directly or indirectly blame their defensive deficiency on the demands of the former coach of the team.)

Meanwhile, Thompson has developed into one of the premier catch-and-shoot threats in the league, and his size gives you some versatility offensively, as far as different play situations in which he can be utilized, but he's not really capable of creating off the dribble beyond a beat or two. Defensively, he's got an ability to focus in and use his length and anticipation to guard 1s, 2s and 3s in one-on-one situations and active off-ball plays (i.e. locking and trailing off screens), but he has a penchant for losing his man if he's not the primary option.

3. Washington Wizards (John Wall and Bradley Beal)

The Wizards' backcourt has the highest ceiling on this list; if it fulfills its full potential, it'll be the best backcourt in the league. As of today, however, it remains an unfinished product. Wall took large strides this past year: He played 82 games for the first time in his career and vastly improved his 3-point shot from terrible (27 percent in 2012-13) to respectable (35 percent in 2013-14). He's also continued to perform well on the defensive end, where his size, length and top-shelf athleticism afford him all the tools to guard a variety of players. However, he's still learning how to play at different speeds, and his shot selection leaves a lot to be desired (he took more long 2s than any other type of field goal attempt and shot a miserable 37 percent from that range).

Beal has the potential to be the best shooting guard in the NBA: He's an excellent 3-point shooter, can create off the dribble and can be a tremendous on-ball defender at times. Still, he suffers from the same curious affliction that ails Wall and leads him to awful shot selection. Despite being a better-than-40 percent 3-point shooter, he took more long 2s than any other FGA type and shot a worse raw percentage: 37.

Because of their collective youth (Wall is 23 and Beal is 21), the Wizards' backcourt have a longer career arc to follow and have the most to gain via development.
    Suns were 4th and Bulls were 5th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should be high in back-court rankings as well. Definitely ahead of Phoenix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Washington's backcourt is so overrated at this point. Maybe they'll end up becoming one of the best backcourts in the league, but as of now they're not even top 5. Wall/Beal are both so overrated (particularly Beal).

CP3/Re
    Curry/Thompson
    Parker/Green
    Lillard/Matthews
    Bledsoe/Dragic
    Westbrook/Jackson (if Brooks continues to use them)
    Beverley/Harden

I'd take all of them over Washington's backcourt tbh...probably Lowry/DeRozan as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Dragic a lot but I still think Rose/Buttler and Parker/Green are better.
    I want to see if Kemba/Stephenson works...a strange duo, but if they've good chemistry Charlotte could have a strong backcourt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only issue I see with Chicago's front court is mobility. Gasol is really a center at this point in his career, and while Noah is a mobile and active defender for a center, if he has to play the four consistently on defense, he'll lose some effectiveness. Mirotic and McDermott are both combo-forwards, and I'm not sure if they'll be all that great playing the three on either end.
    Gasol has nothing left in the tank.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should be high in back-court rankings as well. Definitely ahead of Phoenix.
    That's one flaw of rating only SF/PF/C combos and PG/SG combos, as opposed to looking at the entire lineup.

Also it's a flaw of ignoring the defensive end of the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our backcourt is especially better if you take into account the bench. Mills is a top 3 bench PG and Manu is the best bench guy in the league...so our rotation of Parker/Green/Mills/Manu is pretty crazy. I think ESPN is just focusing on the starters though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said, the Spurs won the le because they had an overwhelming amount of talent. People have made the team's success too much about Pop and not enough about the players themselves. The 2014 Spurs were greater than the sum of their parts, but the sum of their parts was still greater than that of every other team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, Cleveland's frontcourt is better than ours.

LeBron >>> Kawhi
    Love >> Duncan
    Varejao < Splitter
    Thompson << Diaw

I'd probably put Chicago over Memphis. Noah/Gibson/Pau/Mirotic is a deadly big man rotation. They're weak at SF, but it's not like Memphis is loaded at that position either.
    It isn't just the talent level but how they complement each other.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love>>Duncan

On the NBA market absolutely.

In a playoff game where D becomes so important absolutely laughable.

Thread Information